• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

I'm just working off memory here, but I saw something that caught my eye.

Of course I've seen a negative adjective with くない, but I've also seen 〜くはない. What's the difference?

hitsugi

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
One has to wonder what makes this $10 app purchase more valuable than the billion or so free Japanese language learning apps on Android. Perhaps you could expand a bit on what made this stand out for you?
Well, it's more like a virtual textbook than a series of sample phrases, quiz cards and definitions like most of the similar apps listed beneath it. Chapters topped off by quizzes. Follows a formula similar to Genki where you'll learn the writing system as you do simple important phrases and then move on to kanji, sentence structure, conjugations. I had a great time using it to supplement my classes and Genki.

The update also added user accounts so multiple people on a tablet can keep their own progress, which I found really nice.

Alright, I'm trying to learn my kanji, as it is by far the easiest to forget material, and I'm following the Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" book. OP suggested using Anki, and I was wondering, is there a way to use one of these decks and constrain it to certain lessons? I started using it, and everything went fine, until it started throwing out Kanji that the book hadn't introduced me to yet. Wondering if there's a good way to get around this happening.

Kansoku

Alright, I'm trying to learn my kanji, as it is by far the easiest to forget material, and I'm following the Heisig "Remembering the Kanji" book. OP suggested using Anki, and I was wondering, is there a way to use one of these decks and constrain it to certain lessons? I started using it, and everything went fine, until it started throwing out Kanji that the book hadn't introduced me to yet. Wondering if there's a good way to get around this happening.

In my case I made the cards myself, but you can disable the cards by going Browse > Select deck > Select Cards > Suspend.

Mik2121

I'm just working off memory here, but I saw something that caught my eye.

Of course I've seen a negative adjective with くない, but I've also seen 〜くはない. What's the difference?

It means the same. However, and this is just my impression and the way I use it, ~くない is just a tiny bit softer, whereas ~くはない usually involves a けど~ or at least shows a slight feel of negativity. But for general purposes, I'd say they're pretty much the same.

upandaway

Whenever I look at handwritten kanji my mind just blacks out, it's hopeless. Can anyone lend a hand?

RWffpLn.png

日本中_衝_!!!
シャイズ 雲柳寺くん
初のスキャンダル!!?

I'm just not sure about the top. Maybe 撃 for 衝撃? But it looks kinda iffy.
I swear if they're kanji I already know then I'll be really really upset. I'm drawing a blank.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Whenever I look at handwritten kanji my mind just blacks out, it's hopeless. Can anyone lend a hand?

RWffpLn.png

日本中_衝_!!!
シャイズ 雲柳寺くん
初のスキャンダル!!?

I'm just not sure about the top. Maybe 撃 for 衝撃? But it looks kinda iffy.
I swear if they're kanji I already know then I'll be really really upset. I'm drawing a blank.

Yeah, it's 衝撃

日本中が衝撃!!!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Okay I need some help there guys.

Does anyone know the word 「ヒキジキに」 (don't know if you're supposed to write in hira, kata or kanji)? Cause I'm rewatching rewatching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure and trying to make sense of some of the sentences and words.

Here's the thing: after listening to a particular segment over and over, I'm positive that what I hear is 「ヒキジキに」 (most likely an adverb), but I can't find a single entry for that word, no matter the dictionary. Koujien doesn't have it, alc.co.jp doesn't have it, Rikaichan doesn't have it. I can find only one instance through Google on some cooking blog, but no explanation whatsoever.

So, am I mishearing or is the word that rare? What does it mean?

[EDIT] Nevermind, misheard. It turns out it was one word: 「引き千切り」m which means 'to tear off'.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
why do I have a feeling whatever cooking blog you were talking about was talking about hijiki..

I thinking about importing a JP 3DS during the summer. Does anybody know any good sites for importing consoles? Amazon is the only site I've found so far that has a decent listing for 3DS.

kubus

I thinking about importing a JP 3DS during the summer. Does anybody know any good sites for importing consoles? Amazon is the only site I've found so far that has a decent listing for 3DS.
I imported my Japanese 3DS from Nin Nin Game and was really happy with the service and price. They also sell used systems if you want to spare some cash.

Not sure how competitive their prices are these days though.

Edit: Nippon Yasan has a nice selection of 3DS systems too. Their normal 3DS systems are a lot cheaper than Nin Nin, but their special edition 3DSs are more expensive.

Nin-Nin will mark your shipment as gift or mark down the value if you want them to, Nippon Yasan automatically does it, I think.

There must be more sites though. Maybe Big in Japan sells them too.

ominator

Neo Member

you can also check out play-asia.com. but most special editions will be sold out.

about RTK+Anki: for a university project i programmed an addon in which you can draw the requested kanji (it gives you the english word). then calculates whether you have drawn (drawn?) the kanji correctly. it looks for stroke-numbers and compares your image to the kanji.results are categorized in: bad/ok/good. it is in an alpha/beta-version, but i was wondering if anyone was interested in it. if so i might work on it further. and probably i should use it for myself.

ominator

Neo Member
That sounds like it would be really helpful. Currently you have to draw on a sheet of paper and use a stroke order font to see if you're drawing a Kanji correctly.

yeah, the font, or rather the line-style, you are drawing will be the most difficult. right it is simple thick lines.

ok, i will look into it again and keep you updated. i think i will soon make it public even though it is still very buggy. but the drawing and comparing is already working.

Kansoku

I actually used AnkiDroid for RTK because it have the white board, aka you can draw on the screen. It's not really that good to draw with my thumb in a small space but it was nice to see if I got things right.

Fugu

I have a grammar question that I really should know the answer to but I can't find it in my notes.

I read a lot of news articles, and I'm seeing よう used following a dictionary form verb without だ, な or に after it. I don't really know what to do with this usage, and although I can sort of infer its meaning, I'm wondering if anyone can clear it up for me.

An example:
そのうえで小野寺大臣は「今週末から各国の防衛大臣が集まる国際会議があるので、関係国に対して日本の状況を説明することが大切だ」と述べ、シンガポールで開かれる「アジア安全保障会議」で、南シナ海なども念頭に、緊張を高める行動を自制するよう中国側に求めていくことをアメリカやオーストラリアなどの関係国と確認したいという考えを示しました。

KtSlime

I have a grammar question that I really should know the answer to but I can't find it in my notes.

I read a lot of news articles, and I'm seeing よう used following a dictionary form verb without だ, な or に after it. I don't really know what to do with this usage, and although I can sort of infer its meaning, I'm wondering if anyone can clear it up for me.

An example:
そのうえで小野寺大臣は「今週末から各国の防衛大臣が集まる国際会議があるので、関係国に対して日本の状況を説明することが大切だ」と述べ、シンガポールで開かれる「アジア安全保障会議」で、南シナ海なども念頭に、緊張を高める行動を自制するよう中国側に求めていくことをアメリカやオーストラリアなどの関係国と確認したいという考えを示しました。

In this case よう is 様, manner.

beanman25

Really went at it this past Friday. Knocked out all Hiragana and have nearly half of Katakana done in addition to a few basic kanji (kanjidamage!).

Best place to get basic grammar down? Maybe even good children books?

Feels good to be able to show off my tiny bit of knowledge to others, even if it's not much and has taken me ages.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

An example:

緊張を高める行動を自制するよう中国側に求めていく

Urge China to restrain from taking actions that will heighten tensions.

So it would be kind of like "to" in this case. It's just a way to connect everything that comes before the ように with the verb that comes afterward.

Daft_Cat

Really went at it this past Friday. Knocked out all Hiragana and have nearly half of Katakana done in addition to a few basic kanji (kanjidamage!).

Feels good to be able to show off my tiny bit of knowledge to others, even if it's not much and has taken me ages.

My advice would be to slow down and review your kana some more. The chances of retaining all of that (especially since you learned it so quickly) is probably slim. It'll frustrate you if you push onwards and realize that you've lost some of the building blocks. It puts you at a serious risk of burnout. At the same time, a good way to retain kana is to learn some basic vocab, and insist on spelling it out using hiragana and katakana instead of the romanized way.

A good place to move on to grammar would be a basic Japanese textbook. I used Genki. It's available on amazon, and in a lot of book stores. I know a couple people that downloaded it online. I'm not sure if they did so legally. Some people also swear by textfugu.com as a good start, but I can't personally vouch for that.

For Kanji, I use wanikani.com (from the makers of textfugu), which has taught me around 400-500 kanji over the past few months. Within the next year and a half or so, it will teach me close to 2000 (as long as I stick with it). It uses an SRS system and memorable mnemonics to drill the stuff into your head. The presentation is also very aesthetically pleasing. Sure, you're not learning how to write them (stroke order and all that), but they make a good argument that as non-nationals living in a digital age (where kanji is inputted into computers using hiragana), that's no longer the most efficient way to learn. Besides, written rules are systematic to an extent, so you can often figure out the stroke order. Learning to recognize the kanji, its meaning, as well as the on' and kun' readings is a lot more useful in my opinion. Anyway, there's a subscription fee, but the first two levels are free. Worth trying, at least. I find it takes a lot of the hassle out of learning kanji by making it a systematic part of your daily routine. It's almost like a game.

I am having trouble telling what the last word of this sentence is:

zj0pftG.png

The translation claims it is "your body it made of iron." But I looked up "deshi" "detsu" "teshi" and "tetsu" and none of those seems to be iron or any metal...

Zoe

The translation claims it is "your body it made of iron." But I looked up "deshi" "detsu" "teshi" and "tetsu" and none of those seems to be iron or any metal...

?

鉄(P); 鐵(oK) 【てつ】 (n) (1) iron (Fe); (adj-no,n) (2) strong and hard (as iron)

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I'd just like to mention, if it hasn't been already in this thread, that beta.jisho.org is pretty damned nifty to me.

Instead of hunting for things out of a (slow to load) radical chart, punch in romaji and let it do all the work. Rather than slide a series of pictures left and right to see stroke order, just watch a Flash clip, with which you can choose the line thickness and drawing speed.

Kansoku

I'd just like to mention, if it hasn't been already in this thread, that beta.jisho.org is pretty damned nifty to me.

Instead of hunting for things out of a (slow to load) radical chart, punch in romaji and let it do all the work. Rather than slide a series of pictures left and right to see stroke order, just watch a Flash clip, with which you can choose the line thickness and drawing speed.

Looking pretty good. I use Tangorin because jisho is a bit clumsy, and this beta seems the taking it to another level.

I just didn't find the stroke order and where you can see the tags.

I always laugh when I try and check a sentence on google translate, and it always assumesで is being used to mean "in" or "on" instead of as a sentence linker or na-adjective linker. Makes me second guess myself sometimes when I really shouldn't.

Dave_9200

Neo Member
Maybe I'm doing a stupid question, but I want to start learning Japanese, so anyone can suggests me how to start with Hiragana? If there's a textbook to start with or if I can find out this stuff on the internet?

Fugu

緊張を高める行動を自制するよう中国側に求めていく

Urge China to restrain from taking actions that will heighten tensions.

So it would be kind of like "to" in this case. It's just a way to connect everything that comes before the ように with the verb that comes afterward.
EDIT: Nevermind. Got it, thanks.

For grammar, I'd suggest having an easy-to-understand reference in conjunction with reading material.

Check out:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/4789004546/?tag=neogaf0e-20
This book provides technical and accurate definitions for a large amount of Japanese grammar principles. It's costly, but you can get a lot of mileage out of it.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
Tae Kim's grammar guide is just about the clearest way I've seen to get an explanation on how grammar concepts work in Japanese. The major problem with it is that it's not comprehensive so it doesn't really stand up by itself as a source of grammar information, but it does pretty well.

As for reading comprehension, I found it pretty difficult to get good, easy-to-understand Japanese. Surely, there's a lot of the おはようございます。どうぞよろしく。こちらこそよろしくおねがいします。type stuff out there, but you'll probably move past that pretty quickly. When you start getting into kanji, however, I can definitely recommend NHK easy, which is just the news presented in a less dense form than the actual newspaper.

Maybe I'm doing a stupid question, but I want to start learning Japanese, so anyone can suggests me how to start with Hiragana? If there's a textbook to start with or if I can find out this stuff on the internet?
It's pretty easy to find on the internet. When I learned them, I just did something like this: http://japanese-lesson.com/characters/hiragana/hiragana_writing.html

Just be sure to pace yourself.

Kansoku

Does anyone have a good place for practicing grammar? I don't like textbooks, and will be using tea Kim with the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar, but I don't have anywhere to practice it. I've been thinking of writhing stuff at lang-8, but I suck at coming up with things to write -.-.

Does anyone have a good place for practicing grammar? I don't like textbooks, and will be using tea Kim with the Dictionary of Japanese Grammar, but I don't have anywhere to practice it. I've been thinking of writhing stuff at lang-8, but I suck at coming up with things to write -.-.

Google Maggie Sensei.
She has a website that goes into depth with grammar .

Yaari

I'm only going through RTK right now but I am quite curious as to what others go through for studying each day, not just RTK but alltogether. I hope someone can share that with me.
How many Kanji each day, and do you write them all down? Stuff like that.

Kansoku

I'm only going through RTK right now but I am quite curious as to what others go through for studying each day, not just RTK but alltogether. I hope someone can share that with me.
How many Kanji each day, and do you write them all down? Stuff like that.

When I was doing RTK I went trough 120 kanjis in a day and spent the rest of the week reviewing them 20 at a time with Anki. Always written them down.

Yaari

When I was doing RTK I went trough 120 kanjis in a day and spent the rest of the week reviewing them 20 at a time with Anki. Always written them down.

Okay thanks! I'm doing 20 a day as well. What did you follow it up with when you finished it? I'm nearing the 1600 but not really sure what I want to do next. If you can tell me, I can start looking into some stuff. It would really help me!

Kansoku

Okay thanks! I'm doing 20 a day as well. What did you follow it up with when you finished it? I'm nearing the 1600 but not really sure what I want to do next. If you can tell me, I can start looking into some stuff. It would really help me!

Went straight to vocab (still doing it). Having the kanji fresh on my mind helps me a lot with it. Depending on the time you have, you can do grammar together as well, or just use a textbook, like Genki, to mix these two. I don't have a lot of free time, so I'm focusing on vocab only, but will start grammar soon. You just have to see what works well with you.

Dave_9200

Neo Member
Considering that I'm a beginner, I'm doing 1 hiragana row a day...but I want to see the pronunciation and on the internet I can only find pronunciation of basic words...can anyone tell me if there are other sources to improve diction?

Considering that I'm a beginner, I'm doing 1 hiragana row a day...but I want to see the pronunciation and on the internet I can only find pronunciation of basic words...can anyone tell me if there are other sources to improve diction?

Google search Rikaisama. Its a browser add-on you can use to check the definitions or Japanese words you scroll over with your mouse. the -sama version has a fucntion that let's you hear the pronunciation of the current word you have highlighted.

Also try watching a lot of Japanese shows to get used to pronunciation and parsing sentences. Live-action stuff like talk shows and J-dramas are preferable, but Anime can be helpful too as long as you're aware that intonation tends to be more exaggerated in most animated shows.

Google search Rikaisama. Its a browser add-on you can use to check the definitions or Japanese words you scroll over with your mouse. the -sama version has a fucntion that let's you hear the pronunciation of the current word you have highlighted.

Also try watching a lot of Japanese shows to get used to pronunciation and parsing sentences. Live-action stuff like talk shows and J-dramas are preferable, but Anime can be helpful too as long as you're aware that intonation tends to be more exaggerated in most animated shows.

Any recommended J-dramas? Mind pm'ing me some details?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom