• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shirokun

Snytbaggen2 said:
Hmm, so it's as I feared :lol

I guess it'd be best for me to wait a few months more or something before trying to read anything.
The thing I fear most is kanji, and I feel I haven't learned enough in school yet to actually read something, hence the furigana. Even though all I do this year is study japanese and we have already gone through two learning books this autumn I almost feel like I haven't learned shit :lol I know I have, but it still feels like I haven't :lol

Whether you understand it or not, reading any manga right now will probably help you learn in the long run. At the least you'll be able to improve your reading speed. You'll probably pick up a few kanji along the way too. So I say, don't hold back.

If you want something that is relatively easy but also fairly entertaining, pick up よつばと.

It's about Japanese life through the eyes of a six-year old, but it's really quite funny. Pretty sure there's about seven volumes or so.

Shirokun said:
Whether you understand it or not, reading any manga right now will probably help you learn in the long run. At the least you'll be able to improve your reading speed. You'll probably pick up a few kanji along the way too. So I say, don't hold back.

If you want something that is relatively easy but also fairly entertaining, pick up よつばと.

It's about Japanese life through the eyes of a six-year old, but it's really quite funny. Pretty sure there's about seven volumes or so.
Hmm, isn't that from the person who made azumanga? I think I'll check it out if that's the case...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Snytbaggen2 said:
Hmm, isn't that from the person who made azumanga? I think I'll check it out if that's the case...
It is and it is amazing. It is really the most feel-good thing I have ever read, hell if you count all book/movie/game/music/etc medium I've consumed I don't know if anything tops it. I really like Azumanga but I fucking adore Yotsuba&.

Link1110

I completely overthought the JLPT1 question. T thought Asuka was going to run onto the mecha before the captain could get there and pilot it herself.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
So I've been taking Japanese lessons with a Japanese teacher for about a year now (2-3 times a week). We're using the Minna no Nihongo series (just started book 2, we're 2 chapters into that), and I'm still a little frustrated. I'd say my level of comprehension is now that of a 6 year old (i.e. my ability to understand Japanese I hear/read), but I'm only at a 3 year old level of understanding (i.e. my ability to USE the language on my own without being guided)

On the one hand, it certainly doesn't help that while I have a great long term memory, I have one of the worst short term memories ever (which is why I'm horrible with names as well). Mariko-sensei will say a phrase and the second she asks me to parrot the phrase back to her, I've already forgotten half the words. It's like, my brain translates the phrase to English instantly so I understand it, but now that the phrase is in English in my brain it's forgotten how to turn it back into Japanese properly.

On the other hand, my Japanese is LEAGUES better than it was before, and I'm up to 167 Kanji that I can write individually (and several combinations thereof, obviously). But I'm constantly tripping up on the same bloody couple of things that I'm just having a hard time getting the concept of how to use them correctly. Namely, PARTICLES! It's so bloody embarrassing to constantly get corrected by Mariko-sensei every other sentence for using the wrong particles. The only times I ever get them right are in stock phrases I've memorized. I can use them there because I've heard them so many times in that one particular sentence, but outside of it I've no idea how to use them. >>

So I guess my question is, is there a really good explanation on how Japanese particles work? That's one of my biggest holdups.

Ratba

Unconfirmed Member
You can pick up particle dictionaries but the best way is practice practice practice. Particles where my biggest problem when I first came to Japan and I always dreaded making anything beyond the most simple of sentences because of them. I started studying for the JLPT3 (which I forgot to turn in my app for...) but the books I purchased have drills that include particles. My particles aren't 100% but they are much better. It's like anything else. You gotta practice practice practice.

Link1110 said:
I completely overthought the JLPT1 question. T thought Asuka was going to run onto the mecha before the captain could get there and pilot it herself.

I was busting up at that question. I could barely contain myself from laughing out loud.

It's like there was product placement in this year's test.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ratba said:
You can pick up particle dictionaries but the best way is practice practice practice. Particles where my biggest problem when I first came to Japan and I always dreaded making anything beyond the most simple of sentences because of them. I started studying for the JLPT3 (which I forgot to turn in my app for...) but the books I purchased have drills that include particles. My particles aren't 100% but they are much better. It's like anything else. You gotta practice practice practice.

Yeah, I was guessing it's probably this, but I felt like asking in case, ya know? :p You never know who'll be sitting around with a brilliant explanation that inspires epiphanies.

Thanks though, I'll just have to work harder.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well since I'm importing FF XIII I figured I'd give this a shot. Ordered the "Remembering the..." books. Seems really great from what I've read so far.

I've also done the demo lessons in Rosetta Stone and really liked the intuitive method of learning there.

I'm not really sure if both methods are compatible with each other though...

louis89

RurouniZel said:
So I've been taking Japanese lessons with a Japanese teacher for about a year now (2-3 times a week). We're using the Minna no Nihongo series (just started book 2, we're 2 chapters into that), and I'm still a little frustrated. I'd say my level of comprehension is now that of a 6 year old (i.e. my ability to understand Japanese I hear/read), but I'm only at a 3 year old level of understanding (i.e. my ability to USE the language on my own without being guided)

On the one hand, it certainly doesn't help that while I have a great long term memory, I have one of the worst short term memories ever (which is why I'm horrible with names as well). Mariko-sensei will say a phrase and the second she asks me to parrot the phrase back to her, I've already forgotten half the words. It's like, my brain translates the phrase to English instantly so I understand it, but now that the phrase is in English in my brain it's forgotten how to turn it back into Japanese properly.

On the other hand, my Japanese is LEAGUES better than it was before, and I'm up to 167 Kanji that I can write individually (and several combinations thereof, obviously). But I'm constantly tripping up on the same bloody couple of things that I'm just having a hard time getting the concept of how to use them correctly. Namely, PARTICLES! It's so bloody embarrassing to constantly get corrected by Mariko-sensei every other sentence for using the wrong particles. The only times I ever get them right are in stock phrases I've memorized. I can use them there because I've heard them so many times in that one particular sentence, but outside of it I've no idea how to use them. >>

So I guess my question is, is there a really good explanation on how Japanese particles work? That's one of my biggest holdups.
I learned the particles here.

http://www.timwerx.net/language/particles.htm

TheExodu5

Banned
I have a question: when you encounter a Kanji you don't know, how exactly do you go about looking it up? Can you know how it sounds beforehand? If so then do you look it up using Hiragana?

Just curious.

KTallguy

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I have a question: when you encounter a Kanji you don't know, how exactly do you go about looking it up? Can you know how it sounds beforehand? If so then do you look it up using Hiragana?

Just curious.

You can look it up by the following:

"Radicals": Individual pieces inside a Kanji (that sometimes have meaning on their own) Sometimes you can guess how a Kanji is read by the existence of a radical, but there's a 50% chance that it's an exception.

Number of strokes needed to write the character.

Hiragana, if you know how to read it already.

Using software like the DS Raku-hiki-nabi, where you can write the kanji in a box and it comes up. Unfortunately, you have to know how to write the kanji correctly for it to work well.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
We live in a day in age though where shit like radical searching is totally ridiculously uncessary. Get a DS and rakubiki or get a denshi jisho with the drawing abilities and learn the basics of stroke order. The software tends to be pretty good at figuring shit out. I've drawn some straight up bullshit and gotten the kanji I wanted out of Rakubiki Jiten.
Plus, Heisig teaches you stroke order so there's even more reason.

zoku88

Hmm, I would assume that not learning how to do a radical search is like not learning how to read an english dictionary.

Not sure how JPN dictionaries work, but I think Chinese dictionaries basically organized by radicals and stroke count.

rykomatsu

RevenantKioku said:
We live in a day in age though where shit like radical searching is totally ridiculously uncessary. Get a DS and rakubiki or get a denshi jisho with the drawing abilities and learn the basics of stroke order. The software tends to be pretty good at figuring shit out. I've drawn some straight up bullshit and gotten the kanji I wanted out of Rakubiki Jiten.
Plus, Heisig teaches you stroke order so there's even more reason.

DS and software cost money
Electronic pocket dictionaries usually cost even more
Kanwa dictionaries can be accessed for free online
:p

RevenantKioku

rykomatsu said:
DS and software cost money
Electronic pocket dictionaries usually cost even more
Kanwa dictionaries can be accessed for free online
:p
They do cost money, yes. They have been immensely more useful to me than online dictionaries, though. Plus, in the DS's case you can play games in Japanese and that's even more winning. It's so win-win in life!
zoku88 said:
Hmm, I would assume that not learning how to do a radical search is like not learning how to read an english dictionary.

Not sure how JPN dictionaries work, but I think Chinese dictionaries basically organized by radicals and stroke count.
Only book dictionary I have is hiragonical in its order. I've never "learned" radical searching but I've done it and it sort of just came naturally? But I've never had to do it unless I'm at my computer. I've gotten better at guessing readings or just making up the search for my iPhone dictionary out of putting the kanji for the words in based on separate readings.

zoku88

XD

Sorry, I didn't mean "learning" as in, being taught. But just, getting used to. Some people can have trouble spotting radicals and such.

Yeah, so I'm entering the DS market this xmas, by giving myself a DSi and importing Kanji Rakubiki and some japanese games. I also think I'll finally get into Heisig's RK books, but Heisig will have to wait till spring, cause my wallet is crying over that DS+games.

Though it feels good to know that some new stuff is on its way to freshen up the learning process a bit.

When I get the DSi my set for looking stuff up is gonna be:

Nintendo%20DSi.jpg
51KS1sxxnHL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
canon_wordtank_g55.jpg

2rcyecx.jpg
4185RDQDNPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg
random.jpg

I think I'll be good for a while now! :D

KTallguy

Banned
Chinese dictionaries are all screwed up, so I hear. Now that everything is online things are so sooo much easier. Apparently there are several different "orders" of how words are arranged?

Learning the radicals isn't worthless at all, because it lets you break down kanji into more easily recognizable chunks (which after all, is what heisig is all about).

If you are really serious, take a university class. For me, that propelled it from "just a hobby" to "using Japanese full time in the workplace". If you have a good teacher, you'll develop habits that will serve you for the rest of your Japanese career.

RevenantKioku

KTallguy said:
Learning the radicals isn't worthless at all, because it lets you break down kanji into more easily recognizable chunks (which after all, is what heisig is all about).
Yeah, I never said learning radicals is worthless, but radical look ups really aren't necessary anymore.

TheExodu5

Banned
I hope my enthusiasm keeps up. I'm finding learning Kanji really quite fun. I always look forward to testing myself. I give many thanks to both Heisig and Anki for that. Don't think I could do it without either one.

RevenantKioku

TheExodu5 said:
I hope my enthusiasm keeps up. I'm finding learning Kanji really quite fun. I always look forward to testing myself. I give many thanks to both Heisig and Anki for that. Don't think I could do it without either one.
Yeah, but don't forget that there's more than Kanji. Sounds obvious, but right now I'm hooked more on learning obscure kanji than I am learning actual Japanese. Fun, but not ultimately useful. :lol

TheExodu5

Banned
RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, but don't forget that there's more than Kanji. Sounds obvious, but right now I'm hooked more on learning obscure kanji than I am learning actual Japanese. Fun, but not ultimately useful. :lol

Well considering this is supposed to be the hardest part, I'm glad it's enjoyable. Can't wait to get to grammar/vocabulary.

Do you guys limit the Anki test? I wonder how long they will get once I get to a few hundred Kanji.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Finished a 600 page novel (sans dictionary) tonight. It's my first and I am pretty proud of myself. So, to those of you sweating your way through the process, keep at it!

I really get to reap the rewards when my copy of FFXIII comes in next week. :)

Is there a good offline dictionary I can download to my PC? Right now I'm using jisho.org, but it'd be nice to be able to look up words without having an internet connection. I'm planning to get a wordtank or kanji sonomama for DS, but I want something until then.

TheExodu5

Banned
suffah said:
Finished a 600 page novel (sans dictionary) tonight. It's my first and I am pretty proud of myself. So, to those of you sweating your way through the process, keep at it!

I really get to reap the rewards when my copy of FFXIII comes in next week. :)

How long ago did you start learning Japanese?

Cathcart

TheExodu5 said:
Well considering this is supposed to be the hardest part, I'm glad it's enjoyable. Can't wait to get to grammar/vocabulary.

Do you guys limit the Anki test? I wonder how long they will get once I get to a few hundred Kanji.

I just hit 1800 last night and I should finish the book in about a week. I've been adding 30 a day since I started in October and reviewing in Anki every day. For a long time I would write the character along with my Anki reviews but recently as the number of reviews per day has been piling up (I think I have about 280 reviews due today) I've cut back a bit. It's a little bit my fault because I'm kinda strict on grading myself and probably click 'hard' a lot when I could actually click 'good' and almost never click 'easy'. On work days I only write kanji I've learned in the past few days, kanji that I know I've gotten wrong before, and kanji that I have to think about for more than a couple seconds. Otherwise reviews would take hours.

Also, once you get to around #500 Heisig stops giving you stories to work with and you have to come up with your own. I can do some pretty good stories but some of them are kinda hard to do and on some days I'm just not feeling very creative. Before you get to that point you should definitely make an account over on http://kanji.koohii.com/ and check out their study tools. It's a great site that lets people share their kanji stories. It's super helpful. I do my study on koohii but then I do my reviews in Anki.

Whatever you do, try your hardest to never miss a day reviewing in Anki. If you're really tired or busy you can just not add any new cards, but make sure you get those reviews done. If you slip once it makes the next day a lot worse and it can very easily pile up on and discourage you. If you have a cell phone with a good browser make sure you sign up for an account on AnkiOnline and sync Anki up with it. When I was on vacation I used kohii and AnkiOnline from my phone to keep up without missing a day.

Shuusui

So much information to process! All I want is a DS application that will let me look up kanji I don't know and give me the hiragana =__=

RevenantKioku

TheExodu5 said:
RevenantKioku...I just downloaded your Kana deck on Anki. :lol
I checked it like 100 times and I'm still worried I made a mistake in it. ><;
Are all the sound files working alright?

Jax said:
I've lost my way with my japanese "education" and am now currently swayed towards learning french... :p
Jax
Banned
(12-20-2009, 11:25 AM)

This is what happens, people. Keep studying.

Shirokun

Figured I'd rant about Japanese since the thread was bumped. Anyway, I'm currently studying Japanese in Tokyo, and I couldn't be more discouraged.

Basically, I've studied Japanese for a long while: about 8 years of casually self-study with very little in the way of actual advancement aside from very basic material. 1 1/2 years in a junior college, and then almost two years at a university(some of which was retread). Officially, I have about 2 1/2 years of college level Japanese under my belt. I've always thought I was fairly decent, but coming to Japan has really exposed all of my flaws, and while I feel I'm getting better, I still feel like I'm lacking in several areas.

The classes I took in the states never concentrated very much on speaking, so it can be difficult for me to make complex sentences, and I feel like my particle usage goes to hell whenever I do. The gap between what I can write/ read, and what I can speak seems quite large to me.

Second, and this is my biggest problem, I am really horrible at listening. Even basic things that I should easily understand get jumbled up in my mind, and or I'm so used to "not understanding" Japanese, that my brain just shuts off when I try to listen.

This is not to say that I haven't been making ANY progress, but things have been pretty frustrating at times.

Anyway, has anyone had similar experiences to my own? Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

The one thing suggested in the OP that I've wanted to practice is the anki sentence review, but it seems impossible with the intensive class I'm taking ATM(it's 3 hours a day, 5 days a week + 3-5 hours of homework/night : ( ).

RevenantKioku

If your listening sucks, you need to listen more.
If your reading sucks, you have to read more.

That's basically it. It's simple advice but in reality it is very difficult to do.

Think about how much stuff you're doing in English. That's stuff you're not doing in Japanese. I know I'm at fault as much as well. I really shouldn't be on GAF, I should be reading something in Japanese. It's not easy.

Shouta

Yeah, the simple matter is to practice the aspects that you're weak at. Classes teach you the elements to do it and it's ultimately up to you to put them into practice. You have all the parts you need to create sentences to use in speaking, it's just a matter of practicing constructing them in your head all the time and then verbalizing them for example.

sasimirobot

Shirokun said:
Figured I'd rant about Japanese since the thread was bumped. Anyway, I'm currently studying Japanese in Tokyo, and I couldn't be more discouraged.

Basically, I've studied Japanese for a long while: about 8 years of casually self-study with very little in the way of actual advancement aside from very basic material. 1 1/2 years in a junior college, and then almost two years at a university(some of which was retread). Officially, I have about 2 1/2 years of college level Japanese under my belt. I've always thought I was fairly decent, but coming to Japan has really exposed all of my flaws, and while I feel I'm getting better, I still feel like I'm lacking in several areas.

The classes I took in the states never concentrated very much on speaking, so it can be difficult for me to make complex sentences, and I feel like my particle usage goes to hell whenever I do. The gap between what I can write/ read, and what I can speak seems quite large to me.

Second, and this is my biggest problem, I am really horrible at listening. Even basic things that I should easily understand get jumbled up in my mind, and or I'm so used to "not understanding" Japanese, that my brain just shuts off when I try to listen.

This is not to say that I haven't been making ANY progress, but things have been pretty frustrating at times.

Anyway, has anyone had similar experiences to my own? Any suggestions or words of wisdom?

The one thing suggested in the OP that I've wanted to practice is the anki sentence review, but it seems impossible with the intensive class I'm taking ATM(it's 3 hours a day, 5 days a week + 3-5 hours of homework/night : ( ).

This just means you are a human. Any foreign language is gonna take some serious time and devotion. There is ALOT of exageration of how much/easy/fast people are learning
Japanese in this thread, its good to see a "real" example of difficult it can be. Keep at it, you might be improving more than you think, but not over estimating how good you are at a language is a good start.

RevenantKioku

Ugh.
Anyone who's studied for 8 years and hasn't really progressed a whole lot (that includes me! 8 years this spring!) just really hasn't been putting the hours in. I know it because I know I wasn't putting in the hours of study for most of that time. It's a simple mathematical formula, really. The moment I started studying more, and by studying I mean reading more Japanese and listening to more Japanese every day, my rate improved. It's cutting out the unnecessary fluff (Like me replying to this, I don't know why I do this shit.) and replacing it with stuff in Japanese.

sasimirobot

I feel the same way. This will be my 8th year in Thailand and my Thai has not improved much at least for the last 3 of them. Why? Because its good enough...Whenever I go back to Japan I feel the same way. It takes some serious self discipline to look past all the "you speak ---- so well!" and really look at how shitty your foreign language ability is.

I guess I am just saying that are several "walls" to language aquistion. Kinda like the stages of culture shock. At the last stage is acceptance and complacency, and that is the killer...

Alright just finished ff13, and found it to incredibly great for my Japanese learning.

Can anyone recommend other games for Japanese learning that have similar qualities as this(well-written story summaries in the game being the key condition)?

It's got the story summaries in small book form you can read as you go along, for someone like me who is trained in academic book reading, this is fantastic. I watch the cut-scenes, have 75% understanding of the language being used due to the vocab and people who talk with normal grammar, read the story, go back and watch the cut scenes and have full understanding of the language.

Plus the game likes to repeat the same vocab a whole lot, repetition is helpful!, you read the vocab in the story, hear it being spoken it's all good things.

also, while it's out there, The Japanese isn't that absurdly ridiculous as some other games, you won't get laughed at it if you use some of it in real life. I can't really recommend the Prinny game as being any usefull at all for Japanese learning.

So other game recommendations?

zoku88

I think if you do something unintentionally, you can use

verb gerund form + simau

or verb + tyau

sometimes, I think.

For the adjective, apparently musakui works, (for a verb, do musakui ni +verb I guess.)

Prolly better to search for unintentional rather than accident.

Not sure about the other words in your list, but jiko means something like (a train accident, plane accident. Bad things.)

Brofist

RevenantKioku said:
Ugh.
Anyone who's studied for 8 years and hasn't really progressed a whole lot (that includes me! 8 years this spring!) just really hasn't been putting the hours in. I know it because I know I wasn't putting in the hours of study for most of that time. It's a simple mathematical formula, really. The moment I started studying more, and by studying I mean reading more Japanese and listening to more Japanese every day, my rate improved. It's cutting out the unnecessary fluff (Like me replying to this, I don't know why I do this shit.) and replacing it with stuff in Japanese.

I think even more than the number of hours being put in it's all about studying effectively, and efficiently. Having gone to a Japanese university probably helped out, but I passed lvl 1 back when without much of a change in lifestyle, or putting in crazy hours studying.

Then again I'm of the opinion that manga and Japanese video games don't make effective study tools. Anyone seriously studying Japanese should be trying to read real Japanese literature.

test_account

XP-39C²
zoku88 said:
I think if you do something unintentionally, you can use

verb gerund form + simau

or verb + tyau

sometimes, I think.

For the adjective, apparently musakui works, (for a verb, do musakui ni +verb I guess.)

Prolly better to search for unintentional rather than accident.
Ye, i can also use the word "unintentional", that is true :) Thanks for the help! :)

zoku88 said:
Not sure about the other words in your list, but jiko means something like (a train accident, plane accident. Bad things.)
Ah ok, i understand, thanks for the info! :)

One more question, what is "friendly regards" in japanese? Like when you finish a message and/or a letter, you can say "friendly regards, (insert your own name here)". What is this in japanese?

EDIT: I searched some on Google and i found that Keigu &#65288;&#25964;&#20855;&#65289; is used to end letters. Could this also be used in messages (like text messages on cellphones) or is it only used in letters?

rpmurphy

kpop100 said:
I think even more than the number of hours being put in it's all about studying effectively, and efficiently. Having gone to a Japanese university probably helped out, but I passed lvl 1 back when without much of a change in lifestyle, or putting in crazy hours studying.

Then again I'm of the opinion that manga and Japanese video games don't make effective study tools. Anyone seriously studying Japanese should be trying to read real Japanese literature.
Yeah, people should be picky about how they want to use entertainment material as supplemental tools. Most stuff out there doesn't have much practical use except for testing your reading or listening level, which you could be doing on more helpful material to aid in your studies.

However, if there must be at least one anime supplement, I'd recommend Sazae-san for low-to-intermediate level learners for picking up idioms, cultural aspects, and because it avoids exaggerated language that's found a lot in shonen media. But that's about the extent of what can be learned from it I think.

Zoe

test_account said:
EDIT: I searched some on Google and i found that Keigu &#65288;&#25964;&#20855;&#65289; is used to end letters. Could this also be used in messages (like text messages on cellphones) or is it only used in letters?

Nah, it's so formal that some Japanese have to be reminded of its existence.

RevenantKioku

kpop100 said:
Your opinion is wrong, but that's okay. :D

I follow the "If I wasn't going to read it in English, why would I read it in Japanese?" line of thought. That's not to say I don't attempt Japanese literature, but I don't force stuff down my throat for the hell of it.
Vocab that I've picked up from manga, TV shows and hell even Yugioh have stuck better than most text book stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
kpop100 said:

Games and particularly manga can be a huge asset in learning Japanese. Of course it depends on the manga, but you can really learn a ton of vocabulary, expressions, speech styles and more from them. It helps that there is often a lot of furigana and many manga writers do lots of play-on-words type of things that can really help.

I don't know where I would be in terms of Japanese if I hadn't read Shonan Junai Gumi, GTO, Rokudenashi Blues, Be-bop Highschool, Kyou kara Ore ha, Hokuto no Ken, Dragon Ball and many more. Of course it wouldn't be a good idea to just take lines from a manga character and go using them in real life settings, but there is a ton to learn from manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom