• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

KtSlime

thanks gacha and ivedone.....

@ gacha

the second part of your advice im not sure I understand could you please explain
v

...文法の誤りに併せて、もし書き順や書き方などを間違えている字があればそれも指摘して欲しいです。

I'll attempt to answer (for my own practice).

Not only when I supply grammar in error, if there are characters/words with mistakes in how they are written grammatically or stroke order (書き順), I'd like if you were to point them out.

Something along those lines.

"...not just grammatical errors, but I hope you'll point out any mistakes I make when writing characters (stroke order, etc.), too."

I'll attempt to answer (for my own practice).

Not only when I supply grammar in error, if there are characters/words with mistakes in how they are written grammatically or stroke order (書き順), I'd like if you were to point them out.

Something along those lines.

perfect thanks! ....

Gacha-pin

thanks gacha and ivedone.....

@ gacha

the second part of your advice im not sure I understand could you please explain
v

...文法の誤りに併せて、もし書き順や書き方などを間違えている字があればそれも指摘して欲しいです。

Zefah, ivedone already replied.

I'll send you a letter, please point out when I make any mistakes in writng characters and stroke order alogn with gramatical mistakes.

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what's an efficient way to study vocab? I've been trying to learn vocabulary through anki and I'm using An Integrated approach to Intermediate Japanese. However, I feel at times that I'm going too slow with vocab and it's making me frustrated. I've been trying to do at least 40-50 a day again but lately, I've been feeling like I'm not really retaining it due to times, I have to focus on my summer class and Japanese gets the back seat with only an hour or two of studying a day.

KtSlime

Hey guys, I'm just wondering what's an efficient way to study vocab? I've been trying to learn vocabulary through anki and I'm using An Integrated approach to Intermediate Japanese. However, I feel at times that I'm going too slow with vocab and it's making me frustrated. I've been trying to do at least 40-50 a day again but lately, I've been feeling like I'm not really retaining it due to times, I have to focus on my summer class and Japanese gets the back seat with only an hour or two of studying a day.

Study fewer vocab words. Seriously, people for some reason like to push themselves too hard - 40-50 is a bit much. I'd drop it down to 30 for a few weeks and see if you retain them better.

Learning a language is a lifetime commitment. Reading in context also helps, try to see if you can come up with a sentence when a flashcard comes up, rather than just recite the translation. Also study vocab both ways, 英和、和英, the more ways you access a memory the longer it will stay there.

Edit: Also break it up into multiple sessions. 10 when you get up, 10 at lunch, and 10 before bed - something like that. Give your brain a bit of a rest.

Study fewer vocab words. Seriously, people for some reason like to push themselves too hard - 40-50 is a bit much. I'd drop it down to 30 for a few weeks and see if you retain them better.

Learning a language is a lifetime commitment. Reading in context also helps, try to see if you can come up with a sentence when a flashcard comes up, rather than just recite the translation. Also study vocab both ways, 英和、和英, the more ways you access a memory the longer it will stay there.

Edit: Also break it up into multiple sessions. 10 when you get up, 10 at lunch, and 10 before bed - something like that. Give your brain a bit of a rest.
At times, I do more than 50 if I don't have that much homework. But I'll lower it and see how it goes.

I've just started doing that lately to see if it helps or actually use it in conversation. Would Anki be a good way to study vocab? I've been doing three sets of vocab, one from my book, one from the core 2000, and one just from words I come across. I find Anki to be helpful so far since I used to write the words out multiple times and that didn't really help me retain the words. If I hear or see the word I learned, I usually remember it at times.

But I like the idea of breaking the number into x sets a day instead of doing it all in one shot like I've been doing since I would do vocab in the afternoon and then grammar at the morning or night. I think this will help out a lot and lessen my frustration.

Thanks for the advice.

Anki is great for learning vocab, but if you overdo it not only will you not remember the words in the long run, you end up having to go through so many cards each day. If you can successfully remember all the vocab you've learnt at 30 per day notch it up a bit, but if you try to learn too much at once nothing sticks :(

Anki is great for learning vocab, but if you overdo it not only will you not remember the words in the long run, you end up having to go through so many cards each day. If you can successfully remember all the vocab you've learnt at 30 per day notch it up a bit, but if you try to learn too much at once nothing sticks :(
Yeah, I've been doing 50 from the core and review words. Then another 20-30 from an other list. I'm gonna try to lessen it since my main focus is my summer class. That's kinda my main source of frustration that I won't be able to study Japanese full time because of this summer class. But once that is over, I can finally study it full time again. However, I think 30 words is definitely doable with this class.

KtSlime

Head to japan for school in September studying near Tokyo, I know 0 Japanese. How fucked am I?

Not very. While many Tokyo-ites are terrible at English, they expect you to not speak the language at all, so are very patient - Virtually all signs are in both Japanese and English. Will you be picked up at Narita, or will you take the trains to Shinjuku? If taking the trains I recommend purchasing tickets at the ticket window, or getting a JR Pass, or SUICA, last time I was in Japan the ticket terminals didn't offer English language menus, so that's something to watch out for. Try and stick around the train lines and main streets, and expect to get lost a couple of times, because Edo wasn't a planned city and all the streets go in circles, so bring a map. Other than that you should be fine.

大冒険頑張れ! (Good luck on your grand adventure)

Memento_Mori15: Any SRS should work, but Anki has one of the better algorithms, it should serve you well.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
まぁ、言語の勉強は毎日のことなんですけど。終わられないことです。自分の母語でも。僕の日本語は多分完璧ではない(いや、絶対完璧じゃない)けどまだ毎日やっています。ということはあんまりGAFにいく時はありません。

でも、まだ楽しい。だからやっている。
Lol used google to translate. Thanks

KtSlime

Lol used google to translate. Thanks

まぁ、言語の勉強は毎日のことなんですけど。終わられないことです。自分の母語でも。僕の日本語は多分完璧ではない(いや、絶対完璧じゃない)けどまだ毎日やっています。ということはあんまりGAFにいく時はありません。

でも、まだ楽しい。だからやっている。

Ah, that was never translated properly here in the thread, so I will rectify that:

RevenantKioku said:
Well, languages are a thing that [must] be studied everyday. [Learning a language] is a never ending thing, even my own native language. My Japanese is probably not perfect (No, it really isn't perfect) but everyday I [do/try/practice]. So that means I don't have much time to visit GAF.

But, it's still enjoyable, so I do it.

Hey guys I was wondering if there any Japanese video game pod casts that you know of.
If not, I'm looking for any pod casts I can download and listen on my MP3 player.

Secondly, I'm looking for Japanese subtitles for the anime show, Nichijyou.
Does anyone where I can find them?

Thanks.

If taking the trains I recommend purchasing tickets at the ticket window, or getting a JR Pass, or SUICA, last time I was in Japan the ticket terminals didn't offer English language menus, so that's something to watch out for.

I wouldn't mind them not having English, but damn they need furigana. Trying to get to a place whose kanji you don't know is kinda horrifying.

Like a script, or a subtitle file? I'm not sure about either of those, but if you buy a Japanese copy of the DVD it'll have them. They are super handy. I actually learnt a lot of kanji that way.

I wouldn't mind them not having English, but damn they need furigana. Trying to get to a place whose kanji you don't know is kinda horrifying.

Like a script, or a subtitle file? I'm not sure about either of those, but if you buy a Japanese copy of the DVD it'll have them. They are super handy. I actually learnt a lot of kanji that way.

Thanks - yeah either of those would work.

Question regarding Anki,
Is there a way to start a session with new cards only, as currently it starts with failed cards first before going to new cards.

I'm trying to accumulate my failed cards to a 100 making it more challenging to memorize the failed cards.

Thanks.

Zoe

That's why I've taken to writing down the names of the places and stops I'm going to before heading out.

midonnay

http://animetranscripts.wikispaces.com/My+Ordinary+Life+(Japanese)+-+日常

this one?

they have transcripts for 9 episodes >_>

also for anki

There is a section in your "Study Options" (screen before you start reviewing) called "New Cards".

In the third pop out window you click on "Show new cards before reviews"

and if you want to keep the "failed cards" for later...

in the section called "Reviews", in the second pop up window you have options of

"show failed cards at the end"

"show failed cards in 8 hours"

"show failed cards in 3 days"

http://animetranscripts.wikispaces.com/My+Ordinary+Life+(Japanese)+-+日常

this one?

they have transcripts for 9 episodes >_>

also for anki

There is a section in your "Study Options" (screen before you start reviewing) called "New Cards".

In the third pop out window you click on "Show new cards before reviews"

I think that's it! The transcript for the first 9 episodes. I will check more into it later, but thank you!

As for Anki, I have that boxed checked, but I think "reviews" are the middle set of numbers (the bottom right of anki, has 3 set of numbers). Those have been accumulating, but I mean the red numbers, which are to the left of it.

Alchemy

Didn't see anything like this in the OP:

This might be a silly (wishful thinking) question, but are there any pure audio files I can listen to that will help assist with learning Japanese? I'm slowly picking things up using Human Japanese during my lunch breaks at work, but it would super awesome if I could augment it with some audio files to listen to while working or commuting. Obviously it won't be enough on its own but I could see something like that helping me ingrain some things.

wowzors

Not very. While many Tokyo-ites are terrible at English, they expect you to not speak the language at all, so are very patient - Virtually all signs are in both Japanese and English. Will you be picked up at Narita, or will you take the trains to Shinjuku? If taking the trains I recommend purchasing tickets at the ticket window, or getting a JR Pass, or SUICA, last time I was in Japan the ticket terminals didn't offer English language menus, so that's something to watch out for. Try and stick around the train lines and main streets, and expect to get lost a couple of times, because Edo wasn't a planned city and all the streets go in circles, so bring a map. Other than that you should be fine.

大冒険頑張れ! (Good luck on your grand adventure)

Memento_Mori15: Any SRS should work, but Anki has one of the better algorithms, it should serve you well.

Thanks. The school is setting up the travel from NRA to school. I'm staying an extra 3 weeks after school ends Dec 14 to explore the country. I'm leaving January 3rd, I want to spend Christmas and new year in japan :)

midonnay

Didn't see anything like this in the OP:

This might be a silly (wishful thinking) question, but are there any pure audio files I can listen to that will help assist with learning Japanese? I'm slowly picking things up using Human Japanese during my lunch breaks at work, but it would super awesome if I could augment it with some audio files to listen to while working or commuting. Obviously it won't be enough on its own but I could see something like that helping me ingrain some things.

not many alternatives to choose from unfortunately....

there are the purely Compact Disc lessons like Pimsleur/Asmill etc which are probably more expensive than they're worth (they'll give you the confidence to speak with basic greetings but won't teach very much about the language outside of that)

Or Japanesepod101 which releases a free podcast (every week?) but you have to pay a fee to access their backlog/transcripts/explanatory notes etc which admittedly is on a magnitude more extensive than anything out there.

I think they have a trial mode so you can try it out for yourself for free anyways but paid subscription ranges from $4, $10 and 26 dollars a month.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/

Guru-Guru

Banned
Does anybody know any good online resources that explain the difference between は・が effectively, with a decent number of examples? I have a good understanding of the basic usage, but I often find myself getting confused about は・が usage in longer, more complex sentences.

I need help with this sentence especially the second part:

何らの苦しみにもあわずして、何人をも幸福とは『呼』ぶなかれ

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Thanks.

It's certainly not standard everyday Japanese, but this is what it means more or less:

"Don't call anyone happy without having known suffering."

Thanks to you I just found an awesome song (and band?)

Does anybody know any good online resources that explain the difference between は・が effectively, with a decent number of examples? I have a good understanding of the basic usage, but I often find myself getting confused about は・が usage in longer, more complex sentences.

This is in Japanese, but it may help:

http://www.pantomime.org/nihongo-tusin/note.html

Honestly, a lot of it comes down to "feeling".

It's certainly not standard everyday Japanese, but this is what it means more or less:

"Don't call anyone happy without having known suffering."

Thanks to you I just found an awesome song (and band?)

HAHA, I just found that band too and wanted to break down that title.

I will look it over and see if I have any questions.

Though why is the 呼 part in quotes?

EDIT: Another question:
Is the 何人 in this sentence pronounced なにびと?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Though why is the 呼 part in quotes?

No idea, but if you check out their Wikipedia page, it seems like its a theme in all of their track names. It's probably just for emphasis? Or perhaps it's to have an identifier for the song titles so people don't have to write them out in their entirety?

EDIT: Another question:
Is the 何人 in this sentence pronounced なにびと?

Yes!

Alchemy

not many alternatives to choose from unfortunately....

there are the purely Compact Disc lessons like Pimsleur/Asmill etc which are probably more expensive than they're worth (they'll give you the confidence to speak with basic greetings but won't teach very much about the language outside of that)

Or Japanesepod101 which releases a free podcast (every week?) but you have to pay a fee to access their backlog/transcripts/explanatory notes etc which admittedly is on a magnitude more extensive than anything out there.

I think they have a trial mode so you can try it out for yourself for free anyways but paid subscription ranges from $4, $10 and 26 dollars a month.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/

japanesepod101.com is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

DGRE

Banned
Taking N4 this Sunday in Seoul. Wish me luck!

Any tips for taking the JLPT. Is there one part I should study more for?

KtSlime

頑張れ!

Bring a snack for break, you don't have much time. Bring a watch, pencil, and good eraser. Manage your time well, quickly flip through the book (but only once the proctor says it is okay to do so), so you have an idea of what you need to get through in the time allotted. Find a spot in the room where the sun won't get in your eyes.

N4 isn't too rough, you should be able to do well with a bit of studying.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

Thanks.

Now that's the kind of sentence I could never understand fully with my current level, let alone translate :lol. Then again, never took a single class of classical Japanese. Nice job, Zefah!

DGRE said:

Depends on your strengths and weaknesses, really. Are you used to listening to Japanese (no matter the means)? Then you probably don't need to study much for the listening part.
Have you been working on your kanji? You should be fine then, as you don't even need to know how to write them or have extensive knowledge of rare readings for the test.
Learn your grammar and vocabulary well.

Getting a good score will get you pumped for the subsequent level, so がんばれ! indeed.

I asked this before and was wondering if any one can answer this:

Question regarding Anki,
Is there a way to start a session with new cards only, as currently it starts with failed cards first before going to new cards.

I'm trying to accumulate my failed cards to a 100 making it more challenging to memorize the failed cards.

(I'm not talking about review cards but failed cards)

Thanks.

g.r.e.

So, I've an exam next week, and I guess they'll ask me the reason I'm studing Japanese.
Is "日本文学が好きから、私は日本語を勉強しています" a correct sentence?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So, I've an exam next week, and I guess they'll ask me the reason I'm studing Japanese.
Is "日本文学が好きから、私は日本語を勉強しています" a correct sentence?

Missing a だ.

「日本文学が好きだから、私は日本語を勉強しています。」 would be correct.

g.r.e.

Missing a だ.

「日本文学が好きだから、私は日本語を勉強しています。」 would be correct.
Thanks. :D

間髪を入れず、迅速かつ的確な応対、畏れ入ります。

I need help with the above sentence.
What is the かつ part mean in this sentence?

Thank you.

lenni

I guess かつ(且つ?) in this case is a conjunction.
The meaning is similar to その上, so I think it could be something like this:
"[...]not only swift, but also precise[...]"

I guess かつ(且つ?) in this case is a conjunction.
The meaning is similar to その上, so I think it could be something like this:
"[...]not only swift, but also precise[...]"

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing but I wanted to make sure.

Gradivus

Hi guys, I'm new to this thread.

I've pretty much self-taught myself Japanese for the past year and half (haven't really focused that much on it on a weekly basic). I've got interested into learning the language after I go back from a holiday last last during Feb (went to Tokyo, Hakodate, Sapporo and Niseko...I ended up seeing the snow festival which was cool).

I bought some of the huge one piece volumes during my stay there (each mag contains about 25+ chapters), however I've only just began trying to read them now for reading purposes (mostly to recognise Kanji) seeming my Japanese wasn't good at the time of purchase. I've got quite a lot of Japanese friends around where I live, so they're a big help for correcting my grammar, mistakes and such.

What do you guys usually end up using for improving your Japanese skills on a weekly basic?

I don't really like the idea of going for classes, seeming you pretty much have to start at the basics which I already know. I try to watch some Japanese dramas (Shinzanmono was the last one I saw), read through One Piece (not really interested in Manga or Anime in General) and just try to talk as much Japanese as possible when around my Japanese friends.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Has anyone here tried the free application for the iPhone called Kana?

It has Katakana and Hiragana flash cards, lessons, and quizzes you can take. It's my first time using any sort of study material for the language so I don't know how it stacks up in comparison to other stuff.

I kind of like it though.

日本人は味覚にうるさい

Does the underlined phrase mean picky about taste? I'm watching a drama about cooking and this came from that show.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it does.

However, "味" would make a lot more sense than "味覚," in my opinion. This is probably the first time I've seen "味覚" (sense of taste) used interchangeably with "味" (taste). It seems incorrect to me unless the intent was actually to mean "picky about [people's] sense of taste." Like in the context of a restaurant being picky about their cooks having an excellent sense of taste, or something.

Yeah, it does.

However, "味" would make a lot more sense than "味覚," in my opinion. This is probably the first time I've seen "味覚" (sense of taste) used interchangeably with "味" (taste). It seems incorrect to me unless the intent was actually to mean "picky about [people's] sense of taste." Like in the context of a restaurant being picky about their cooks having an excellent sense of taste, or something.

You may be right. I think the context was actually the atmosphere of the restaurant, as in sense of taste of the atmosphere of the restaurant. I will have to go back and check, but thank you.

DGRE

Banned
Took the n4 and I bombed it. :-(

I was confident about 10 of the 100 questions.

It was a good experience though. Now I know exactly what it's like and I'll take it again in December. I think I could pass it then.

隣近所に対して見栄を張るのは人情ですよ

Can someone translate this sentence?

mujun

隣近所に対して見栄を張るのは人情ですよ

I would say:

It's human nature to put on airs around your neighbors.

Gacha-pin

隣近所に対して見栄を張るのは人情ですよ

Showing off to neighbors is human nature (the nature of humanity?).

人情 is more common to be used for to have heart (feeling, consideration). It is less used for the above meaning.

I think You will encounter 人間の性(さが) more for that meaning.
隣近所に対して見栄を張るのは人間の性(さが)ですよ。

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom