• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
にして itself is just "to make (subject) into (object)". Usually for TV and stuff, it's used in really chuu2 ways like "I made my family into a sacrifice", "I'll turn you into scrap", and so on, but it's also the proper usage for phrases like "お嫁にする"/"make you my wife".

for something like にしても, it's more "even if we consider the previous as true".

I find it helpful to think of it as a cognate with "I've come all this way doing (verb)" in contexts like that.

It's that きた again.
"But, Mr. Sakurai. I've only been doing exactly what you taught me."
私は me {subject}
桜井先生の教えを Mr. Sakurai's teachings {object}
実践して realize a plan/lesson/ideal {verb}
きた over a continuous period of time which has already passed {verb conjugation}
にすぎません (subject) does not exceed/go beyond (clause containing object)

Ahh, I've read a few lessons again, and understand the きた・いく。

”私は桜井先生の教えを
実践してきたにすぎません”

For this sentence, I initially interpreted it in a different way. But you translation helps me understand it. I initially though she was competing against 桜井先生 and using すぎません as a way of saying, I haven't surpassed you-I guess 超える is used for surpass on that sense. I thought this because later on she talks about how despite sacrificing her family, her career hasn't evolved as much as 桜先生 who is now a 理事長.

Thanks for all of your help. I think I understand it now, and just have to let it sink into my head.

Gacha-pin

Hey JPN gaf, I am writing a skit for class again and I have a quick simple question.

If i want to ask , Do you want something to eat or drink.

Which is better

飲み物か食べ物がほしいですか
(is hoshii appropriate here? )

or

食べたいですか。飲みたいですか

or

何を食べたいですか?何を飲みたいですか?

I am sure there is probably a better way to ask such a simple question?
It depends on the situation. ほしい might sound a bit rough but it's okay to use.

何か食べますか(or 食べたいですか)?何か飲みますか(飲みたいですか)? are typical.

Or you can ask them indirectly (modestly?), お腹空いてますか?喉が渇いていますか?

Grokbu

I've got a question for you guys.

In Genki 1, it says that "Which one is your pen?" translates to: どれがあなたのペンですか。

But isn't it possible to use: あなたのペンはどれですか。 as well?

Cranzor

I've got some basic grammar questions. I really don't understand sentence structure that well. I've been using a guide that is in the OP so I'll use examples from that.

ボブは魚が好きだ。
Bob likes fish.

は indicates that Bob is the topic of the sentence. が tells me that fish is the direct object, right? I still don't get that particle that much. Anyway, 好きだ means "is likable" I think. So it translates to "fish is likable to Bob" or "Bob likes fish". I get that. Here is an example I don't get though.

魚が好きなタイプ。
Type that likes fish.

Isn't "likable" modifying "type"? How does "likable type" become "type that likes"? Also, isn't "type" the topic of the sentence? Why is there no は particle after it?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I'm just really having trouble with basic grammar/sentence structure.

Grokbu

Alright, got my explanation for this from my teacher:
I've got a question for you guys.

In Genki 1, it says that "Which one is your pen?" translates to: どれがあなたのペンですか。

But isn't it possible to use: あなたのペンはどれですか。 as well?
She basically said that "どれがあなたのペンですか。" translates to "Which one is your pen?" and "あなたのペンはどれですか。" translates to "Which is your pen?". So it is sort of different ways to ask the same thing, as I understand it.

But now I stumbled upon something else I'm wondering about.

The on'yomi for 山 are サン and セン, correct? How come 火山 is written かざん and not かさん?

The on'yomi for 山 are サン and セン, correct? How come 火山 is written かざん and not かさん?

Cause it's easier to say. Lots of words end up adding the " to them because it it rolls off the tongue better. Try saying かさん and かざん for yourself.

Grokbu

Cause it's easier to say. Lots of words end up adding the " to them because it it rolls off the tongue better. Try saying かさん and かざん for yourself.

Hrm, I see. But how come 富士山 is ふじさん and not ふじざん then?

Maybe I should stop worrying about this for now and wait with it till when I reach kanji in my course...

EDIT: Is it, perhaps, because in the case of 富士山, 山 is added to the name 富士, and in the case of 火山, it is a "simplification" of an established word, if you could say that?

Thanks though!

midonnay

The phenomenon is called rendaku

http://www.tofugu.com/guides/rendaku-sequential-voicing/

as to why the difference between kazan and fujisan....

don't know for sure, maybe because kazan is considered a single word and fuji san two? (or the ji in fuji has already been rendaku-ed so maybe no double rendaku? :p )

but yeah, you'll see common patterns when you learn kanji even if you never hear about the phenomenon. Can be a pain in the arse sometimes though >_>

Gacha-pin

魚が好きなタイプ。
Type that likes fish.

Is this from a textbook? Did you drop some words?

Hrm, I see. But how come 富士山 is ふじさん and not ふじざん then?

Maybe I should stop worrying about this for now and wait with it till when I reach kanji in my course...

EDIT: Is it, perhaps, because in the case of 富士山, 山 is added to the name 富士, and in the case of 火山, it is a "simplification" of an established word, if you could say that?

Thanks though!

I think there is no strict rule for this. easier to read and better to sound.
As for ふじさん, the じざ is harder to read than じさ and sounds not right (at least to Japanese).

Zoe

魚が好きなタイプ。
Type that likes fish.

Isn't "likable" modifying "type"? How does "likable type" become "type that likes"? Also, isn't "type" the topic of the sentence? Why is there no は particle after it?

You have to keep in mind that the topic of the sentence gets dropped often in Japanese. So in this case, the full sentence could be:

(Watashi wa) sakana ga suki na taipu.
(I am) the type that likes fish.

In this sentence the phrase should be broken down to [sakana ga suki], not [suki na type].

Cranzor

Is this from a textbook? Did you drop some words?

PKrockin posted the right link. I should've noted that he translates them as literal as possible toward the beginning.

You have to keep in mind that the topic of the sentence gets dropped often in Japanese. So in this case, the full sentence could be:

(Watashi wa) sakana ga suki na taipu.
(I am) the type that likes fish.

In this sentence the phrase should be broken down to [sakana ga suki], not [suki na type].

Are you saying the sentence is wrong then? Or is it just an efficient way to say it?

Cranzor

Efficient or lazy, either one. You need to know the context to know the topic of the sentence.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks. I don't think I read your post right the first time. Any reason why the adjective isn't actually modifying "type" even though it comes before it though? It seems to be turning into a verb somehow rather than actually modyifing the noun that comes after it.

KtSlime

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks. I don't think I read your post right the first time. Any reason why the adjective isn't actually modifying "type" even though it comes before it though? It seems to be turning into a verb somehow rather than actually modyifing the noun that comes after it.

It is. な is a form of だ.

(He is) the type (of person) who likes fish.

車は赤い = the car is red
赤い車 = the car which is red

They are noun modifiers, 魚が好き is modifying タイプ. You'll get the hang of it, it just takes some practice and lots of listening.

Cranzor

It is. な is a form of だ.

(He is) the type (of person) who likes fish.

車は赤い = the car is red
赤い車 = the car which is red

They are noun modifiers, 魚が好き is modifying タイプ. You'll get the hang of it, it just takes some practice and lots of listening.

I'm just looking into basic grammar. I didn't realize adjectives could come after nouns so that cleared up some confusion. But I'll read over adjectives again and see if anything clicks this time. Thanks for the help!

Gacha-pin

PKrockin posted the right link. I should've noted that he translates them as literal as possible toward the beginning.

Are you saying the sentence is wrong then? Or is it just an efficient way to say it?

If it's a person, a dog or a cat, then it's fine but "type" or "taipu"
is not a good word for the sentence you are learning.

In a certain context, it could be possible to take "魚が好きなタイプ" as Zoe
did. But if there is only this sentence, the readers or listeners would
take this as "a type of something that a fish likes" instead
of "someone who likes fish".

Cranzor

If it's a person, a dog or a cat, then it's fine but "type" or "taipu"
is not a good word for the sentence you are learning.

In a certain context, it could be possible to take "魚が好きなタイプ" as Zoe
did. But if there is only this sentence, the readers or listeners would
take this as "a type of something that a fish likes" instead
of "someone who likes fish".

When I examined the sentence, I ended up with the "a type of something that a fish likes" sentence which is part of the reason why I was confused. So this sentence could be taken multiple ways depending on the context, correct? I guess the person who wrote the guide just picked one of the possible ways to demonstrate adjectives. Thanks for the help though, I think I get it now. I just started looking into grammar so this is all pretty confusing.

KtSlime

What's the word for "in-person", as in I talked to him "in-person" as opposed to on the phone?

Thanks.

Is this person a subordinate, a boss, high ranking official, or a colleague?

Edit: 面会する is probably the most generic way of saying it, it means to meet 会 face to face 面.

Is this person a subordinate, a boss, high ranking official, or a colleague?

Edit: 面会する is probably the most generic way of saying it, it means to meet 会 face to face 面.

Ahh, thanks. I'm looking for even more generic meaning.
Example:

I want to play Co-op with a live person locally and not through online.
I'm not even sure what word I would use for English.

Thanks.

Necrovex

I'll finally know the hiragana alphabet by the end of this weekend. I already have a good grip on all of the characters already, but I want to keep studying them before I commit and say I completely know it.

Thus, one alphabet (about) down, two to go.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
直接 seems like a fairly common option, as in 'directly'.

Yep!

直接会って、○○した。

is probably the way to go.

BuRT!

What are some Japanese websites I can use to replace English ones for things like gaming/general forums and news? Is 2ch the only "good" one? I don't like the layout of it..

I was looking for the different ways the word 抜ける is used and I found this meaning:

抜けるような青い空
bright blue sky

Does it also mean "bright" when referring to the sky?

What are some Japanese websites I can use to replace English ones for things like gaming/general forums and news? Is 2ch the only "good" one? I don't like the layout of it..

I use this site at the moment:

http://jin115.com/

There are a list of tabs, each representing a console or handheld, making to easier to read news for the system of your choice.

Gacha-pin

I was looking for the different ways the word 抜ける is used and I found this meaning:

抜けるような青い空
bright blue sky

Does it also mean "bright" when referring to the sky?
It means clear.
You can also say 澄みきった〜, 透きとおるような〜.

Onemic

taking TESL classes and will be finished by the end of September. Hoping to get placement in Japan, so I figure getting resources now would be best. what are the top resources to use? I know you guys hate Rosetta Stone, so that's a no no for me so far.

test_account

XP-39C²
Can someone translate this for me?

i3y2NxHaOVKGA.jpg

I know it says something about 100k downloads, but what else?

Hehe, it's funny when the semesters start and you see all the newcomers ask questions you were pondering years ago.

I'm taking Jpn 3 this semester, and the class is going by sooooo sloooooow. I'm already like, 2 chapters ahead of where we are in class, on my own independent study. :|

Necrovex

Hehe, it's funny when the semesters start and you see all the newcomers ask questions you were pondering years ago.

I'm taking Jpn 3 this semester, and the class is going by sooooo sloooooow. I'm already like, 2 chapters ahead of where we are in class, on my own independent study. :|

Just wait until your professor decides to knock it into overdrive.

kunonabi

I should be finishing JSL the spoken language part 3 pretty soon and I was wondering how much grammar does that actually cover? Any suggestions on which book to move onto?

KtSlime

I should be finishing JSL the spoken language part 3 pretty soon and I was wondering how much grammar does that actually cover? Any suggestions on which book to move onto?

Neat, a fellow Jordanese speaker. It's been a few years since I completed the program, and I no longer have part 3 in my possession, however to the best of my knowledge its grammar by the end is mostly complete, aside from a number of vocabulary that has grammatical function (すなわち), and a couple of conjugation/suffixes (-まい). Jordan's textbooks aside from being terribly out of date, and overly jargonistic really only suffer from a lack of vocabulary (and kanji), so that is what I recommend focusing on. I never took up another textbook to follow it, I simply bought a number of grammar handbooks, made some flashcards, and started on some light novels. Passing the N3 should be a breeze after completing part 3 (some supplementary vocabulary may be required), and N2 isn't that far off either.

My go to book on looking up grammar is Yoko McClain's 口語日本文法便覧. It doesn't go into too much depth on 'why', but it is exhaustive when it comes to grammar, and includes examples for everything (using Japanese characters too!).

Congrats on getting this far in this program, it's not a very congenial textbook, and few make it to the end.

Tenck

Hoping someone can help me real quick.

I'm reviewing for a test but since I missed a bunch of days due to a shoulder injury, I'm finding it really frustrating to figure some stuff out.

We're supposed to be using the words まいにち よく ときどき あまり and ぜんぜん

First question we're asked it
あさごはんおたべますか

Since my Japanese is pretty limited right now to me it seems like the correct response would be

まいにちわあそごはんおたべます

Is it right?

First question we're asked it
あさごはんおをたべますか

Since my Japanese is pretty limited right now to me it seems like the correct response would be

まいにちわあそさごはんおをたべます

Is it right?

(わたしは) まいにち あさごはんを たべます。

Tenck

(わたしは) まいにち あさごはんを たべます。

I was under the impression that まいにちwas first followed by the particle わ :eek:

Now even more confused.

One more question to rest my doubts.

If they ask me
にほんごおれんしゅうしますか

I'd answer
(わたしは) まいにちにほんごおれんしゅうします

?

I'm so bad with particles right now, so forgive me if I'm giving you some gibberish.

PKrockin

If they ask me
にほんごおれんしゅうしますか

I'd answer
(わたしは) まいにちにほんごおれんしゅうします

?

The particle you're writing as お should actually be written を even though it's pronunced お.

Other than that, yeah. まいにち and the rest of the words you were given don't need particles.

Tenck

The particle you're writing as お should actually be written を even though it's pronunced お.

Other than that, yeah. まいにち and the rest of the words you were given don't need particles.

Thank you. It's a little tough since my book doesn't have the particles, and I'm left to remember what I was told in the classroom. Guess I'll google particles and see where I go from there.

Ledsen

Wait how can you have a japanese text book without particles? It's fundamental grammar and pretty much the first thing you learn.

Tenck

Yeah my bad. So far we're not too much into the book, and I've yet to see the book explaining particles. We're on page 30 and the first particle の is all the way at page 89 -_-

Still gonna google particles so I don't have to keep flipping through pages.

Necrovex

I'm using Yookoso.

I'm not even sure what Genki is :x

Switch to Genki, it's a pretty damn good textbook.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I thought you were self-teaching yourself.

Yeah my bad. So far we're not too much into the book, and I've yet to see the book explaining particles. We're on page 30 and the first particle の is all the way at page 89 -_-

Still gonna google particles so I don't have to keep flipping through pages.

You might be learning the vocabulary and hiragana first before constructing sentences. A little strange, but hey, whatever works.

Wait how can you have a japanese text book without particles? It's fundamental grammar and pretty much the first thing you learn.

You don't need grammar, man. Just toss a bunch a words together, and let's hope the context makes it clear!

A quick question, does "desu" always resides at the end of a sentence, and will I always be using it to complete my sentences? の is always used as a possessive, correct? I'm still trying to figure out when to use の instead of は.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom