• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
1番目

If I wanted to say the "first episode" of an anime series, would I say 1番目 (いち ばん め)
or maybe 第1番目?

Thank you.

KtSlime

I see 第1話 the most.

Agreed, I can't think of a single instance where episodes are counted with 番目, it's always 第◯話. It's how I label all my episodes, and how I've always seen it done.

Necrovex

I have to write a skit for my Japanese class (and because my partner is having difficulty understanding Japanese, so I decided to handle writing the (generic) draft). I completed a rough draft of it, so if any Japanese-proficient speaker could tell me where I messed up, I would very much appreciate it!

I am going to write it in romaji, since I have to record this skit. This dialogue is simply going back and forth. When the hour transition begins, the speaker from line 16 is saying line 17, and the back and forth begins again.

1) Irasshaimase.

2) Konbanwa. (I was unable to figure how to write this in Japanese, "I am a little lost.")

3) Shinjin desu ka.

4) Hai, watshi wa ryugakusei.

5) Aa, dore ga diagaku desu ka.

6) Washington no daigaku desu.

7) So desu ka. Ano, Amerikajin desu ka.

8) Hai, amerikajin desu... (the following line is meant to be "Anyway, what is this place?) Nani desu ka.

9) Kissaten desu. (I would like to expand this to, "This is a cafe, the name is "The Wonderful of Alcohol." Though, I have no idea how I would properly write this).

10) Aa, menyuu desu ka.

11) Hai, menyuu wo doozo.

12) Doomo arigatto. Kore wa nani desu ka.

13) Dore desu ka. Aa, Coedo Kyara (is this the proper pronunciation?) desu.

14) Ocha desu ka.

15) Iie, ocha ja nai desu. Biiru desu. Oishii desu.

16) Jaa, biiru o ippon kudasai.
...An hour passes.

17) Goochisosama desu.

18) Namae desu ka.

19) Watashi was Mary desu. Namae desu ka.

20) Watashi wa Sanji desu. Ano, Mary-san wa doyoubi konabn ni uchi de eiga wo mimasen ka.

21) Iidesune.

22) Mary-san no denwa bangoo desu ka.

23) Watashi no denwa bangoo wa ichi san san no ni go roku kyuu desu.

24) Watashi wa doyoubi ni mimasu. (I am attempting to say, "I'll see you Saturday.") Sayoonara, Mary-san.

25) Jaa, Sanji-san.

2) Konbanwa. (I was unable to figure how to write this in Japanese, "I am a little lost.")
michi ni mayotte imasu

8) Hai, amerikajin desu... (the following line is meant to be "Anyway, what is this place?) Nani desu ka.
You could just say "kono tokoro ha?"

9) Kissaten desu. (I would like to expand this to, "This is a cafe, the name is "The Wonderful of Alcohol." Though, I have no idea how I would properly write this).
I would say "The wonderful of Alcohol to iu kissaten desu" (A cafe called...) if this grammar isn't too difficult.

24) Watashi wa doyoubi ni mimasu. (I am attempting to say, "I'll see you Saturday.")
Maybe, "mata doyoubi"?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
4) Hai, watshi wa ryugakusei.

Scratch that "watashi wa". You don't need it because it's entirely obvious you're talking about yourself.

5) Aa, dore ga diagaku desu ka.

"Dore ga" basically translates to "which", as in, "which one (of the following colleges/colleges we talked about) is your college?". Say "Doko no" instead.

6) Washington no daigaku desu.

Are you saying you're from a college in Washington, or from Washington University? If it's the latter, get rid of "no".

Simpler yet, "hai, sou desu" or just "sou desu". "Nan desu ka" is too vague, you should say something like "koko wa donna tokoro desu ka", where "donna" means "what sort of". Or refer to shanshan's solution.

"Sake no subarashii sekai" or something could do the trick. Just add "to iimasu" at the end.

10) Aa, menyuu desu ka.

Add "kore wa" or "kore," if you want it to sound even more natural => "kore, menyuu desu ka"

11) Hai, menyuu wo doozo.

"Hai, douzo" is just fine, really.

12) Doomo arigatto. Kore wa nani desu ka.

This is nitpicking, but if you really want to say "thanks" (which is not only unnecessary when you're a client/customer receiving something from a vendor, for instance, but downright unnatural), just say "doumo". "Arigatou" emphasizes the sentiment of gratitude, but vendors, waiters and the like are thought to just be doing their jobs. No need for gratitude. That's just the way they roll in Japan I guess :p.

Also, you seem to be making a recurring mistake: "nani" becomes "nan" when followed by a word that starts with a consonant.

13) Dore desu ka. Aa, Coedo Kyara (is this the proper pronunciation?) desu.

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

14) Ocha desu ka.

15) Iie, ocha ja nai desu. Biiru desu. Oishii desu.

For a slightly more natural, spontaneous flavor, add "yo" at the very end :). Kinda like the person is saying "let me tell you, it tastes great".

17) Goochisosama desu.

"Gochisousama deshita". Never "desu". You switched "o" and "ou" around in "gochisousama" as well.

18) Namae desu ka.

Onamae wa nan desu ka.

19) Watashi was Mary desu. Namae desu ka.

"Watashi wa" is not necessary, but use it if you really want to. You can also say "to iimasu" instead of "desu" if you prefer. And again: "Onamae wa nan desu ka."

20) Watashi wa Sanji desu. Ano, Mary-san wa doyoubi konabn ni uchi de eiga wo mimasen ka.

"Watashi wa" is up to you, again. As a rule, think about whether it's absolutely obvious who you're talking about before deciding that you should express the subject.

Are you asking her out for tonight (which happens to be Saturday), or Saturday night? If it's the former, say "kon'ya". If it's the latter, "doyoubi no yoru".

22) Mary-san no denwa bangoo desu ka.

Forgot the "nan" before "desu ka". Could be said more naturally, but the sentence is perfectly correct :).

24) Watashi wa doyoubi ni mimasu. (I am attempting to say, "I'll see you Saturday.") Sayoonara, Mary-san.

"Dewa, mata doyoubi ni, Mary-san" is really the most efficient way to say all this.

25) Jaa, Sanji-san.

This however doesn't work, AFAIK. "Hai, mata ne, Sanji-san" should do the trick.

michi ni mayotte imasu

Yup. For full effect, add "ga" or "kedo" at the end. It implies you're waiting for the person's help or input. You should add something else in the sentence for it to sound completely natural, but let's not complicate things, you should be fine with the sentence as it is.

You could just say "kono tokoro ha?"

This is one possible way to ask. I'd go with a simple "koko ha?" In both cases, you should linger on the "ha" a bit. It's kinda like "...", like you're expecting the other person to complete your sentence.

I would say "The wonderful of Alcohol to iu kissaten desu" (A cafe called...) if this grammar isn't too difficult.

Works too. Is it a Japanese name or an English name?

ちなみに、「日本語で話そう」ってスレッド前誰かがたてたんだけど、あれ結局どうなったんですか?僕も何回かコメント書いたんだけど、もうあのスレッドみつからん・・・

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=455776

Necrovex

Not sure what you're trying to say here.

I very much appreciate the edits, and I'll take this advice to heart.

Also, Kilrog, the waiter was telling Mary the beer's name, Coedo Kyara.
I see where you were confused. Line 14 was a reference to the main character's ignorance in the textbook. I was attempting to make an inside joke my sensei.

I am a little curious if anyone finds it difficult to write in English after an intensive Japanese study session?

One of these days, I'll finally have a strong grip on this language. It always feels rewarding when I make a successful baby step in learning the language.

PKrockin

I am a little curious if anyone finds it difficult to write in English after an intensive Japanese study session?

One of these days, I'll finally have a strong grip on this language. It always feels rewarding when I make a successful baby step in learning the language.
When I studied it at my university it really did take a few minutes to adjust to listening and speaking in Japanese when class started for example. Same brain confusion happened when I switch back to English.

I know that rewarding feel bro. In a game when I see an attack name I can translate AND pronounce, like 双月, it's a little victory. Even if I can only read one as "beast tear something something kill," and I know it's localized as Stampede Strike, it's encoraging knowing not long ago it looked like a row of incomprehensible spaghetti. Just need to keep those moments happening with new Kanji to stay motivated.

KtSlime

I got part way finished writing a response for you Necrovex, but ended up getting too busy to finish it.

I'd like to simply add, that if I were lost, I'd be a bit embarrassed, so probably would add "chotto" to the beginning of "michi ni miyotte imasu ga"

Not sure which school you go to, but WSU is Washinton shuuritsu daigaku.

I sometimes mix up my Ls and Rs after a long day of Japanese, no joke. Code switching can be rough on a person.

Keep up the studying, seems like you are making some good progress.

squidyj

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who's using obenkyo for android and has some pointers on creating personal lists.

I tried typing in vocabulary like

;よやくする

for example but it doesn't read it as a part of the list, only vocabulary with database numbers. Is there any way around this?

Necrovex

When I studied it at my university it really did take a few minutes to adjust to listening and speaking in Japanese when class started for example. Same brain confusion happened when I switch back to English.

I know that rewarding feel bro. In a game when I see an attack name I can translate AND pronounce, like 双月, it's a little victory. Even if I can only read one as "beast tear something something kill," and I know it's localized as Stampede Strike, it's encoraging knowing not long ago it looked like a row of incomprehensible spaghetti. Just need to keep those moments happening with new Kanji to stay motivated.

I am probably going to play Dragon Quest V in Japanese after I finish Japanese II. It should be good practice during the dryness of the summer period. Plus, it'll be a good test to see if I can play Time Travelers.

I sometimes mix up my Ls and Rs after a long day of Japanese, no joke. Code switching can be rough on a person.

Keep up the studying, seems like you are making some good progress.

After studying Japanese, I type a word in English, and it looks weird as shit. I remember when I wrote "whale," I was convinced I must have misspelled it, since it looked so funky.

I also had my professor look over my skit. She wasn't a fan that it was more advanced than it should have been. I have to rewrite a few sentences and dumb them down (even if the sentence sounds a little awkward).

I want to say thanks to everyone who took the time to look over my skit. When I become competent in the language, I'll have to repay the favor to a new soul aiming to learn Japanese.

Zoe

I also had my professor look over my skit. She wasn't a fan that it was more advanced than it should have been. I have to rewrite a few sentences and dumb them down (even if the sentence sounds a little awkward).

I had a feeling that would happen :p

The purpose of these skits is to demonstrate what you've been taught, so going to get outside help and ending up with something more advanced defeats the purpose. The best advice I could give is to write it in Japanese from the start. Don't think about what you want to say in English because you'll end up over-complicating it.

Remember, you may be a college-level English speaker, but you're nowhere near a college-level Japanese speaker. And nobody's expecting you to be.

midonnay

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who's using obenkyo for android and has some pointers on creating personal lists.

already had it installed so had a quick play around with it....

After clicking on ">>" next to for example "Vocabulary"

and "Change selection", the words are divided into JLPT level.

eg: yoyaku is in jlpt 4

after selecting a particular level (and ticking the box corresponding), each bunch of words are already automatically selected so if you want to choose word by word....

1) firstly make sure you're in "selection mode" rather than "display mode". In the top middle there should be an EYE shown rather than a PEN.

top right corner there is an option with "three vertical dots", click on that and "select none"

2) search by english keyword or hiragana/kanji (using a japanese IME, romaji doesn't work) and select a word so that the Orange dot on the far right lights up.

3) save personal list (test only works if more than one word is selected)

PS: if you give the developer an email, I'm sure he'll answer your questions. He also posts as Atomusk in the kanji koohii forum.

Necrovex

I had a feeling that would happen :p

The purpose of these skits is to demonstrate what you've been taught, so going to get outside help and ending up with something more advanced defeats the purpose. The best advice I could give is to write it in Japanese from the start. Don't think about what you want to say in English because you'll end up over-complicating it.

Remember, you may be a college-level English speaker, but you're nowhere near a college-level Japanese speaker. And nobody's expecting you to be.

That's really good advice for future skits. It's pretty difficult to make such simple sentences when I am so used to complex writing; I feel so bad at the simplicity.

It's a little humorous to think about how a Japanese toddler could probably kick my ass in the language at this point. Hahaha.

Cranzor

Might as well share my progress so far!

I started doing Remembering the Kanji and vocabulary a little under a month ago. I was struggling with the vocabulary a lot because I was focused on RTK so I dropped it in favor of doing RTK exclusively. Originally I was doing 10 a day but I realized it would take longer than I wanted to get through the book at that rate so I went to 15 a day and then decided to increase it again. I'm at 20 a day now.

My biggest mistake so far was that I wasn't actually visualizing the stories but just trying to remember them. It was actually only a few days ago that I figured this out. It made a lot of kanji difficult to remember and reviewing got really frustrating. Once I realized my error, I went back through the book and visualized all of the characters except for the ones I was sure about. I'm glad I caught it relatively early. I still get more wrong than I'd like to sometimes, but most of the mistakes are writing errors. The very next section in the book actually had a section devoted to mentioning how important visualization is which is pretty ironic.

I am at 294 kanji right now and I am going to begin part two tomorrow since I think it would be easier to begin with a fresh start. I only did 10 today so I'm giving myself a bit of a break since I've studied a lot this week. I'll make up for it tomorrow though.

I've also been watching an episode of subbed anime (Mushi-Shi, fantastic show) before bed just to get a better feel for the sound of the language and to catch the few words that I know used in a context.

I've been thinking about what I'm going to do after I finish RTK, which will be in a few months at my rate. I think I am going to do core 2k (2,000 words) to expand my vocabulary and also go over some grammar, probably with Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese. As far as kanji readings go, I really have no idea what to do in order to cover that.

So yeah, studying has been going well. I really love the language and I look forward to working through RTK and completing RTK to do whatever comes next.

squidyj

already had it installed so had a quick play around with it....

After clicking on ">>" next to for example "Vocabulary"

and "Change selection", the words are divided into JLPT level.

eg: yoyaku is in jlpt 4

after selecting a particular level (and ticking the box corresponding), each bunch of words are already automatically selected so if you want to choose word by word....

1) firstly make sure you're in "selection mode" rather than "display mode". In the top middle there should be an EYE shown rather than a PEN.

top right corner there is an option with "three vertical dots", click on that and "select none"

2) search by english keyword or hiragana/kanji (using a japanese IME, romaji doesn't work) and select a word so that the Orange dot on the far right lights up.

3) save personal list (test only works if more than one word is selected)

PS: if you give the developer an email, I'm sure he'll answer your questions. He also posts as Atomusk in the kanji koohii forum.

Yeah I know how to do selection mode and I've selected a lot of stuff but as I move through my lectures which don't necessarily follow jlpt exactly. I would much rather be able to put my words into a list and then import that :l
I'll try to get in touch with Atomusk though, thanks.

midonnay

ic, if you want flexibility....its easier just to use ankidroid. Obenkyo isn't really designed as a fully fledged flashcard system (at the moment). More as a jack of all trades program to learn japanese. I don't think you can actually modify the database.

You can use the desktop Anki program to design your flashcards (using a ready made file or importing your own wordlist using a txt or excel file) and then use the android version to sync everything up.

I guess its hard to design multiple choice tests in Anki (as in computer randomises answers) but you can go further with audio/video, cloze delete (fill in the blanks) or handwriting etc type questions.

Desmond

Hey guys, two quick questions. Is the word for ticket- きっぷ- just for travel tickets or for Concert tickets etc. too? Is it like Spanish where they have a few words for tickets?

Also, would I say ''Venue にコンサートがいます。'' or ''......コンサートがあります。''

Would a concert count as animate or inanimate?

Hey guys, two quick questions. Is the word for ticket- きっぷ- just for travel tickets or for Concert tickets etc. too? Is it like Spanish where they have a few words for tickets?

A concert ticket is 「コンサートのチケット」.
Concerts are not living beings, so the correct one is あります :p

Mik2121

A concert ticket would usually (99% of the times) be called チケット or maybe 入場券 or similar ones, though I've barely seen that one. Then again I barely go to concerts to begin with :/ But yeah, not きっぷ...

Desmond

A concert ticket is 「コンサートのチケット」.
Concerts are not living beings, so the correct one is あります :p

A concert ticket would usually (99% of the times) be called チケット or maybe 入場券 or similar ones, though I've barely seen that one. Then again I barely go to concerts to begin with :/ But yeah, not きっぷ...

Thanks!!

Cranzor

Does anyone know what happens in Anki if you limit yourself to a certain number of reviews a day? I've been getting bogged down by reviews and have started to get burnt out on reviewing. If I were to do just 50 a day, for example, would this ruin the whole spaced repetition part? Would my number of reviews due just keep increasing or would Anki somehow adjust?

midonnay

Depending on how low the limit is corresponding to how many new cards you're adding in, its likely that it'll affect your retention rate.

Not that its necessarily a bad thing, Spaced repetition systems has a percentage of expected failures already built into the algorithm.

but if you're getting burnt out....stop adding new cards and consolidate your knowledge until it becomes more comfortable again. (eg: learn vocabulary, read, listening practice etc). Don't use anki as your only source of learning.

PS: apparently anki 2 has a daily deck limit of 100 as a default setting

Cranzor

Depending on how low the limit is corresponding to how many new cards you're adding in, its likely that it'll affect your retention rate.

Not that its necessarily a bad thing, Spaced repetition systems has a percentage of expected failures already built into the algorithm.

but if you're getting burnt out....stop adding new cards and consolidate your knowledge until it becomes more comfortable again. (eg: learn vocabulary, read, listening practice etc). Don't use anki as your only source of learning.

PS: apparently anki 2 has a daily deck limit of 100 as a default setting

Well right now I'm just going through Remembering the Kanji. Do you mean things like learn vocabulary in addition to RTK, or were you assuming that I already was doing things like learning vocabulary?

I definitely feel like it'd be beneficial to take a few days off from learning new kanji to just go back over the ones I don't have down very well. Even with ones I just did a few days ago, I mostly know the elements that make up the kanji but I just can't remember where to put them. The reason for me getting so many reviews a day is probably because I miss more than I'd like to.

RoyalFool

Banned
Are you writing the kanji and just using Anki to cycle through them, or are you just learning them by looking at them? If it's the latter I'd advise you slow down and learn to write them - else your taking 2 stones to kill one bird.

Cranzor

Are you writing the kanji and just using Anki to cycle through them, or are you just learning them by looking at them? If it's the latter I'd advise you slow down and learn to write them - else your taking 2 stones to kill one bird.

I write them when I learn them and then I write them when I review them with Anki, so I'm not really sure what's messing me up.

KtSlime

I write them when I learn them and then I write them when I review them with Anki, so I'm not really sure what's messing me up.

It's probably just a lot to take in. It takes a while to get used to new patterns. I recommend slowing it down, 50 a day is a lot. I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to memorize all the characters - learning a language is a lifetime commitment, so take it easy and enjoy it. If you were to review only 5 new characters a day, you'd still get through most all the important characters within a year. It takes longer than a year to get down the grammar and vocabulary anyway, might as well learn the characters slower and better since you have all that other stuff to learn as well.

Cranzor

It's probably just a lot to take in. It takes a while to get used to new patterns. I recommend slowing it down, 50 a day is a lot. I've never understood why people are in such a hurry to memorize all the characters - learning a language is a lifetime commitment, so take it easy and enjoy it. If you were to review only 5 new characters a day, you'd still get through most all the important characters within a year. It takes longer than a year to get down the grammar and vocabulary anyway, might as well learn the characters slower and better since you have all that other stuff to learn as well.

50 is the number that I said I'd like to review a day in Anki. I'm actually learning about 20 a day. Perhaps you're right though, maybe I should slow it down a bit. I think it feels like a rush for me because during this segment of learning the language, I really don't have much to apply it to. At least when I'm done with the book, I can begin vocabulary and grammar so I can actually read and listen to things. I mean, I could learn everything at the same time, but I feel like that would be too much for me to handle.

Also, there's that part of me that thinks I am lazy because I haven't done a certain amount in a day. But I think it may be more damaging than beneficial to do a lot in a day because I end up feeling burnt out.

kunonabi

I've run a little snag. I'm trying to read this sentence but I figure out what is going on with this large group of kanji

Kanou ga Shibuya 暑刑事課強行犯係 ni....

I can isolate parts of it but I can't come up with anything coherent.

KtSlime

I've run a little snag. I'm trying to read this sentence but I figure out what is going on with this large group of kanji

Kanou ga Shibuya 暑刑事課強行犯係 ni....

I can isolate parts of it but I can't come up with anything coherent.

It's a title. Person in the charge of the Forceful Crimes Investigation Unit. The 暑 is part of something else. Can we get the rest of the sentence? I suspect it is actually 署 which would be like a precinct/station.

Alucrid

Banned
AB22-264_size.gif

I hate to use this as a personal translating thread but...

The left column reads "Shoulder, Bust, Waist, ???, ???, ???"

midonnay

length from collar to hem
bust
waist
hip
shoulder width,
length of the sleeve.

ps: get mazec 7 notes handwriting ime for android (and I think IOS too).

along with a epwing dictionary (or just edict), it takes seconds to look up kanji. (doesn't matter if you don't know stroke order, I tried to fool it by writing it backwards and even leaving out strokes and it still recognises it most of the time)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2lKeGA_6IQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL6QGDH_1Qg

Alucrid

Banned
bust
waist
hip
shoulder width,
length of the sleeve.

along with a epwing dictionary (or just edict), it takes seconds to look up kanji. (doesn't matter if you don't know stroke order, I tried to fool it by writing it backwards and even leaving out strokes and it still recognises it most of the time)

Awesome, thanks for that. Luckily I do have an android phone, so I'll hop right on it.

Tenck

bust
waist
hip
shoulder width,
length of the sleeve.

Oh this looks good. Going to have to buy it.

Zoe

So we're sitting here at dinner with a visiting Japanese friend, and nobody knows how to describe one of the dishes as "rich". Any thoughts?

Shouta

So we're sitting here at dinner with a visiting Japanese friend, and nobody knows how to describe one of the dishes as "rich". Any thoughts?

A bit late but 濃い or 濃厚 might work for what you're trying to express. It's similar to "strong" or "heavy" in flavor.

Necrovex

So, I discovered a few weeks ago during a speaking exercise in class, I accidentally made a sexual joke.

We were learning invitation, so I decided to make a cannibalism joke because I really disliked the Mary character from the Genki book. When it was my turn to speak, I asked my friend, "Mary-san wo tabemasen ka."

Well, this past Friday, I was telling my friend this story and he was dying on the phone and told me in Japan that question had a sexual meaning attached to it, thus I asked my friend if he wanted to join me to eat out Mary-san...i.e. "Yo, you wanna gangbang Mary-San with me?"

This explains the reaction from my professor on that day. Hahaha. Learning a new language is so much fun!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
So, I discovered a few weeks ago during a speaking exercise in class, I accidentally made a sexual joke.

We were learning invitation, so I decided to make a cannibalism joke because I really disliked the Mary character from the Genki book. When it was my turn to speak, I asked my friend, "Mary-san wo tabemasen ka."

Well, this past Friday, I was telling my friend this story and he was dying on the phone and told me in Japan that question had a sexual meaning attached to it, thus I asked my friend if he wanted to join me to eat out Mary-san...i.e. "Yo, you wanna gangbang Mary-San with me?"

This explains the reaction from my professor on that day. Hahaha. Learning a new language is so much fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKqgC_BR_pA

arumisan

I laughed xD

Reminds me of my Japanese class the other day, my professor explained how "tachi" had another meaning apart from pluralising people words.

It's one month till JLPT time, bitches! Everyone know all their kanjis? Are your vocabularies sufficiently built up? Have we kanzen mastered all our grammar points?

遠距離で、すれ違いが多いと、恋愛関係を維持するのは
なかなか大変ですね

In this sentence すれ違いが多い means what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom