• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
遠距離で、すれ違いが多いと、恋愛関係を維持するのは
なかなか大変ですね

In this sentence すれ違いが多い means what?

Lots of "encounters". Of the romantic variety.

Akainu

The Big Ass Superior Thread "OH!"

of Learning Japanese "oh..."

Every got dang time.

I tried learning once. Didn't get far at all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
遠距離で、すれ違いが多いと、恋愛関係を維持するのは
なかなか大変ですね

In this sentence すれ違いが多い means what?

It's saying that maintaining a long distance relationship is very difficult when the people in the relationship start to go their separate ways (because they can't see each other very often).

Those suggesting that the すれ違い here means "encounters" of any kind are playing too much 3DS.

Cranzor

How in the world can you guys read kanji with such a tiny font? Do you just get used to them being that small? At this point I'd say I know a fair amount of kanji but I can't even see the ones being posted in this thread.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How in the world can you guys read kanji with such a tiny font? Do you just get used to them being that small? At this point I'd say I know a fair amount of kanji but I can't even see the ones being posted in this thread.

Once you get used to it, you can identify most characters at a glance.

Otherwise, why not raise the font size of your browser or zoom in (ctrl + mouse wheel up on Windows)?

Cranzor

Once you get used to it, you can identify most characters at a glance.

Otherwise, why not raise the font size of your browser or zoom in (ctrl + mouse wheel up on Windows)?

I hadn't thought of zooming in. Thanks.

After zooming back out, it still seems crazy you'd be able to recognize them when they're that small.

It's saying that maintaining a long distance relationship is very difficult when the people in the relationship start to go their separate ways (because they can't see each other very often).

Those suggesting that the すれ違い here means "encounters" of any kind are playing too much 3DS.

Someone else said this on another forum:

"two ships that pass in the night"(Often said of people who meet for a brief but intense moment and then part, never to see each other again) when referring to the romantic sense as in this case.

This seems to make the most sense I guess in this case.

EDIT: Actually your explanation makes the most sense in this case Zefah.

As the speaker is referring to having many conflicts with his girlfriend.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Someone else said this on another forum:

"two ships that pass in the night"(Often said of people who meet for a brief but intense moment and then part, never to see each other again) when referring to the romantic sense as in this case.

This seems to make the most sense I guess in this case.

EDIT: Actually your explanation makes the most sense in this case Zefah.

As the speaker is referring to having many conflicts with his girlfriend.

I think those people might be confused, too...

I can't think of any situation where すれ違い or すれ違う would be used to describe a romantic encounter (or any encounter other than something like the stealthy hand off of an item as two parties pass by each other).

I think those people might be confused, too...

I can't think of any situation where すれ違い or すれ違う would be used to describe a romantic encounter (or any encounter other than something like the stealthy hand off of an item as two parties pass by each other).

Well it's a good thing I ask on multiple forums.
Sometimes I get better answers there, sometimes I get better here.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
What forum is it, if you don't mind my asking?

Necrovex

I have a question about sentence structure. I have to make the sentence, "I used to eat hamburgers often when I was a child." My professor hasn't gone over sentence structure for "when I was a child."

So, would the following be correct,? "Watashi wa kodomo no toki yoku hanbaagaa wo tabemashita."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have a question about sentence structure. I have to make the sentence, "I used to eat hamburgers often when I was a child." My professor hasn't gone over sentence structure for "when I was a child."

So, would the following be correct,? "Watashi wa kodomo no toki yoku hanbaagaa wo tabemashita."

Yes, that's pretty much perfect!

Necrovex

Yes, that's pretty much perfect!

Sweet. That'll make my future assignments a lot easier. I spoke to my friend about the structure, and I wanted to confirm what he said was right. The Genki workbook is beginning to get into unfamiliar territory. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation.

What forum is it, if you don't mind my asking?

http://www.jref.com/forum/

I usually just ask in that huge stickied mega thread, "Need a phrase translated" (or something like this).

Also, I had asked earlier about recommendations of Japanese apps for the Iphone, but I lost the answers.

I remember "Midori" and "Imiwa" but don't remember the others.

Can I get some more recommendations of Japanese apps for the Iphone please?

EDIT:

Here was the exact answer he put in the other forum:

"すれ違い refers to two things going in opposite directions passing by each other, as in two cars traveling on a road or....to use a more romantic metaphor....two ships passing in the night. I'll assume you know what 多い means. "

Cranzor

I hit 500 kanji today! Well, 501 actually, but that'd be an odd milestone. I have been doing 10 a day recently and it's going way better than before. I've also been missing very few in reviews so it seems to be working out pretty well.

I made Japanese Study Kit, have a nosey and let me know if you want a redeem code (that goes for any fellow gaffers) - it's for learners so has more flexible searching (wildcards etc).

What is "have a nosey"?
I will check out Japanese Study Kit, so sure I will take a redeem code.

Thank you.

I hit 500 kanji today! Well, 501 actually, but that'd be an odd milestone. I have been doing 10 a day recently and it's going way better than before. I've also been missing very few in reviews so it seems to be working out pretty well.

Congrats!

"Sorry, I think I must have made that word up - means to take a look, have a gander.. sorry, I'm British. (Pm'd you a code) "

Thanks, I will check out. =)

Any suggested jrpg for a simple practice of hiragana and katana or manga?

Well, pokemon's always a good place to start. Simple vocab, except for the attacks obviously :p Regarding manga? Whatever you like! Most manga has furigana for the kanji, so you can read it even if you only know hiragana/katakana. It's good kanji learning practice too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely Pokémon for games. They have an option to go all Hiragana/Katakana and the vocabulary used isn't incredibly difficult.

injurai

Banned
How many of you have jobs that involve in any extend your knowledge/ability to speak japanese. I understand teaching is a popular job, but I was wondering more along the lines in terms of business relations and communication between international corporations.

Zoe

Well, pokemon's always a good place to start. Simple vocab, except for the attacks obviously :p Regarding manga? Whatever you like! Most manga has furigana for the kanji, so you can read it even if you only know hiragana/katakana. It's good kanji learning practice too.

Well, shonen/shoujo level manga will have furigana. There will be less and less the higher you go.

Ledsen

How many of you have jobs that involve in any extend your knowledge/ability to speak japanese. I understand teaching is a popular job, but I was wondering more along the lines in terms of business relations and communication between international corporations.

If you mean teaching English, I don't think you learn much (if any) japanese doing that... after all, your job is to speak English.

Hey guys, amazing topic here. I'll be taking JLPT N4 next month. Does anyone have any recommended sites with a good list of vocabulary and the kanji I should know? I've been using both Genkis and the Tae Kim guide to self-study, along with some manga a Japanese friend brought back for me (Pokemon Special, Naruto, Gintama and Daily Lives of High School Boys-definitely not ready to read the last one though). I'd appreciate it!

Necrovex

Any suggested jrpg for a simple practice of hiragana and katana or manga?

Dragon Quest games are supposed to be useful for teaching yourself hiragana and katakana. If you want, you can study kanji too, however all of the kanji are translated hira. and kata.

rpmurphy

My grammar has become pretty awful since it's been a long time since I last actively spoke the language (and that was only 1st-grade level anyway).

If I want to say "I can only speak a little bit of Japanese," would one say:
日本語は少しだけ喋れる。
But this sounds a bit off, in formality or something else.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I work in video game localization, which also requires acting as a liaison between the English speaking and Japanese speaking parties.

Before that I worked at another Japanese company doing a lot of translation, interpretation and general bilingual liaison work.

Any English-speaking company that has dealings with Japan, or any Japanese company that has dealings with overseas companies will need people who can assist with communications. There's plenty of work out there for people who can fill such a role.

My grammar has become pretty awful since it's been a long time since I last actively spoke the language (and that was only 1st-grade level anyway).

If I want to say "I can only speak a little bit of Japanese," would one say:
日本語は少しだけ喋れる。
But this sounds a bit off, in formality or something else.

Honestly, the "喋れる" part gives off the impression that you can speak more Japanese than "少しだけ." The sentence is fine, but if your intent is to be humble, you may want to replace "喋れる" with "喋れます" or "話せます."

injurai

Banned
I work in video game localization, which also heavily involves acting as a liaison for the English speaking and Japanese speaking parties.

Before that I worked at another Japanese company doing a lot of translation, interpretation and general bilingual liaison work.

Any English-speaking company that has dealings with Japan, or any Japanese company that has dealings with overseas companies will need people who can assist with communications. There's plenty of work out there for people who can fill such a role.

Honestly, the "喋れる" part gives off the impression that you can speak more Japanese than "少しだけ." The sentence is fine, but if your intent is to be humble, you may want to replace "喋れる" with "喋れます" or "話せます."

Just the post I was looking for. I am a CSE major, but am looking to learn Japanese and get involved in video game localization myself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just the post I was looking for. I am a CSE major, but am looking to learn Japanese and get involved in video game localization myself.

Good stuff! There are plenty of opportunities out there, but it really comes down to ability. Just do your best to become as fluent as possible in Japanese while keeping your own English skills up as well. Having another marketable skill or qualification (such as a degree in computer science) will also help a lot, I'd imagine.

Mandoric

Banned

I translate, usually marketing stuff. I've been contemplating getting more involved in either mass media or gaming, but I like my current work's flexibility a lot.

KtSlime

Good stuff! There are plenty of opportunities out there, but it really comes down to ability. Just do your best to become as fluent as possible in Japanese while keeping your own English skills up as well. Having another marketable skill or qualification (such as a degree in computer science) will also help a lot, I'd imagine.

I haven't looked into the honyakusha field before, is there much correspondence work available? Could I be able to work on translations from home? What kind of things do they look for in a portfolio of this kind of work?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't looked into the honyakusha field before, is there much correspondence work available? Could I be able to work on translations from home? What kind of things do they look for in a portfolio of this kind of work?

I'm probably not the best to ask about this as I never really did much freelance work. I signed up with a couple of agencies while I was still in school and did some side work when jobs came in, but that's the extent of it.

I just used contacts I had and tried to apply to a variety of companies in Japan before I graduated. Even if a company isn't necessarily advertising a bilingual position, you might just try sending your rirekisho along with a cover letter type introduction.

That is, of course, if you're looking to work in Japan. If you're in the states, there are plenty of IT and video game companies on the west coast who I'm sure would be interested in hiring bilingual professionals.

Thanks I was wondering this too.

injurai

Banned

Yeah, learning Japanese is more of a side dream for me. I'm so busy I don't have much time to practice, and having studied spanish and latin I know learning another language is a weakness of mine. I spend the summer trying to learning Hiragana... which I need to resume when I get the chance.

rpmurphy

Thanks! I do want to practice more and start picking up vocabulary since I plan on visiting Japan next year.

Shouta

That is, of course, if you're looking to work in Japan. If you're in the states, there are plenty of IT and video game companies on the west coast who I'm sure would be interested in hiring bilingual professionals.

IT jobs at companies tend to require a lot in both directions so unless you're comfortable with your E to J and doing it in the manner they need it, it can be a little rough. This is for bigger companies of course. Smaller ones may be a bit looser because the company relations are more relaxed but that will really depend. JP companies are pretty stuffy in general so.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
IT jobs at companies tend to require a lot in both directions so unless you're comfortable with your E to J and doing it in the manner they need it, it can be a little rough. This is for bigger companies of course. Smaller ones may be a bit looser because the company relations are more relaxed but that will really depend. JP companies are pretty stuffy in general so.

Oh, that goes without saying.

I wouldn't advise looking for a job in translation or interpretation unless you're very comfortable in both languages.

Shouta

Oh, that goes without saying.

I wouldn't advise looking for a job in translation or interpretation unless you're very comfortable in both languages.

Well, it's not just a matter of comfortable. You really have to hit all the right points because of how stuffy JP companies can be with language.

Loona

Although I've been meaning to learn on my own for a while, I recently signed up for some lessons and had my first one yesterday, which hopefully should help to discipline my efforts, let's see how this goes.

Does anyone know if there's a japanese equivalent of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", a sentence that covers all the "base" hiragana (as in, I've already figured the tweaks that turn something like "ka" into "ga", or "ha" into "ba" or "pa")?

Issun23

Does anyone know if there's a japanese equivalent of "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog", a sentence that covers all the "base" hiragana (as in, I've already figured the tweaks that turn something like "ka" into "ga", or "ha" into "ba" or "pa")?

It's not a sentence but there's the いろは poem:

いろはにほへと
ちりぬるを
わかよたれそ
つねならむ
うゐのおくやま
けふこえて
あさきゆめみし
ゑひもせす

It uses every hiragana character exactly once - including the archaic ゐ (wi) and ゑ (we).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom