• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You tell me then, what's your curriculum look like for years 3 and 4? What are the international components? What skills will you have that sets you apart from an accounting or marketing major?

What did you want to do with that major? (not beating you, just asking lol) You also said you don't live in America right? I think that's to your advantage then when it comes to international business.

Well, it's kind of a weird curriculum where Japanese is the main focus of the major, but trade becomes the focus in the master's. Frankly I'd say the strongest aspect of it is the course called 'international affairs'. We've got this outstanding professor/professional who teaches us a lot about documentary credit, which if we believe his stories even higher-ups in big companies don't know that well. From now on I'm thinking of focusing on that. There's a specialization in that kind of stuff in year 2 of the master's (currently doing year 1). It's bad enough that when thinking of applying for internships I'm like 'what could I possibly say in an interview? It's not like economic theory is gonna be much help, and my knowledge of business is far too limited at this point'. I don't care much about Japanese any more (at least not for business purposes), but I'm near bilingual in English, which is rare enough in France cause, well, we suck at languages to be honest.

Apart from that I'm afraid you're entirely right: we learn general stuff about international economics, marketing, financial analysis and all that jazz, but that's about it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
You sound like you're in a fine position then. Remember my musings are from an American viewpoint.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
You sound like you're in a fine position then. Remember my musings are from an American viewpoint.

I know this is off topic, but mind elaborating? Do you only mean that it would be worthless if I were American because then I wouldn't even have language skills to compensate?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I know this is off topic, but mind elaborating? Do you only mean that it would be worthless if I were American because then I wouldn't even have language skills to compensate?

If you were American, and you had an IB major along with a language you no longer cared for - I'd say you wasted your college education ASSUMING you didn't have any internships or hadn't made any contacts for post-grad opportunities. It'd be significantly harder for you to find a job in America than someone with an accounting or finance degree.

If you were American, and you had an IB major along with a language you no longer cared for - I'd say you wasted your college education ASSUMING you didn't have any internships or hadn't made any contacts for post-grad opportunities. It'd be significantly harder for you to find a job in America than someone with an accounting or finance degree.

It seems kinda weird because international business has a different focus to accounting, with a different set of job prospects.

Wow, is it really that much of a vacuum over there? All of our interoffice stuff is JP at least.

If you really want to make money, legal, political, and medical translation is where you should go. Everything else is pretty assy when it comes to translation. Games are a bit better as I recall but the amount of work can be limited, I think. I'd love to do it too but considering how much gets localized and how troublesome it can be to get in, I really haven't had any luck. Plus, from what I hear I'd rather not honestly... I'll be happy going into it as a PM or as termniologist instead.

The MLV model has been hurting the industry a lot from what I've gathered.

Well the difference with me is I'm freelance in the truest sense of the word. I have a cushy day job with good pay and benefits that I have no intention of ever leaving, especially to try and eke out a living translating. All my TL stuff is done at home in my free time (still never miss a deadline!) after the wife and kid have gone to bed.

It's more for fun and fame than it is for fortune. I want to do games strictly because they are something I love and I'd get to see my name on the finished product, same thing for the anime and manga. The money is just a bonus as far as personal finances go so I can afford to only work in industries where I actually enjoy the work.

What is the MLV model?

I'm an expert

It seems kinda weird because international business has a different focus to accounting, with a different set of job prospects.

But none of that is taught in an undergrad IB curriculum, only briefly introduced as concepts. Without actually going abroad on an internship or study abroad you'd finish the program with no international experience.

Not to mention to practice accounting for a non-native company in another country you'd have to take that country's equivalent of the CPA, something you can't exactly do as an undergrad in IB.

And if you wanted to be an accountant for a native company in another country you would have majored in accounting in the first place. IB would most likely only have one or two accounting classes, and certainly not mangerial.

KtSlime

It's okay everyone, I think I got this contest for worst pairings of degrees in the bag. Anthropology + Classics + Japanese.

Vigilant Walrus: Whatever you choose to do, do something you enjoy. That's my only advice on the matter.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I have a couple of friends who got N1 in high school. I imagine having kanji background helps a bit.

Aaah JLPT's not that great. It doesn't measure language output at all, for one thing, and a lot of the grammar is stuff that Japanese people don't even use. I mean, the resources I've been using for JLPT have certainly helped me learn new vocab so there are definitely benefits.

Heisig is really what you make of it, like any language resource I guess. Some people learn better through rote, but others don't.

Regarding uni courses, it really depends on the university. The fourth year courses at my uni covered all the kanji and grammar for JLPT 2.

This is a myth. I've only taken the JLPT once (winter of 2005) when I passed level 1, but nothing on the test was obscure or archaic or otherwise a rare form of grammar/vocabulary. Sure, a lot of the stuff doesn't come up in every day conversation, but if you read actual books, newspapers, academic reports, etc., you'll encounter that kind of language. Don't ever listen to a Japanese person who sees what you're studying and tells you "we never use this!" to make you feel better or compliment you some how.

The JLPT is a pretty competent measure of Japanese ability, especially for people who aren't coming from a Chinese background (because they have a certain vocabulary advantage due to Kanji).

For what it's worth, I had a minor in Japanese and it didn't really mean much other than a bullet point on a resume. It was holding JLPT 1 when I was 20 that made the biggest "oomph".

Shit, are you me? I was the same age when I took the test for the first time and passed. I also agree that it helped a lot when looking for work in Japan.

Not to bring you down, but I'm of the opinion that Japan is indeed not the best of choices for a successful career. It's not the worst option I suppose, but if the idea is that you'll be looking for a job in 5 years at least, Chinese and Korean are indeed better choices. Japan is a stagnating country, and it will only get worse as the population grows older and Japanese companies get even more disrupted by other Asian companies than they are now (which they will). I'm doing a Japanese/international trade master's degree, and everyone in my curriculum is saying that, from students to professors to guest lecturers.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remain optimistic that Japan will have a come back. Historically, they always have. I wouldn't put too much faith in China and Korea to maintain their success, either, but that may just be me.

Necrovex

We went over past tenses (positive and negative) for adjectives today. The pronunciation is brutal for me atm. Whenever I used the conjugations, my tongue feels like it is dying a slow death. Like past tenses, I'll learn to properly say those words, but for right now, youch!

Cranzor

Cranzor: Congrats on 600 characters, keep in mind that languages are first and foremost spoken. I highly recommend adding some sort of extra curriculum besides RTK, JapanesePod101 sounds like a good start, but I'd try to diversify it even more.

I didn't have much luck with it, but others might have. I found it moved too slowly. Honestly I think your best bet is to start learning some grammar and some simple vocab through a textbook maybe, and supplement it with listening to Japanese by watching Japanese tv shows.

Japanesepod101 does start from scratch though, if I recall correctly, so it might be good for you. Just download a few episodes and see how it goes.

Thanks for the responses. I'll just try it out and see how it goes. I may start supplementing RTK1 with something else but I'm not sure with what as of yet. I've got lots of free time on weekends so that seems like a good time to study other things.

And ouch, worldrevolution! Seeing someone say a method that I've dedicated many hours to over a few months is garbage hurts a bit. Your opinion seems to be in the minority from what I've seen though. RTK1 is helping me lots and I'm definitely sticking with it. I'm interested, how did you study kanji? Hopefully this doesn't come off in a holier than thou manner, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm an expert

Thanks for the responses. I'll just try it out and see how it goes. I may start supplementing RTK1 with something else but I'm not sure with what as of yet. I've got lots of free time on weekends so that seems like a good time to study other things.

And ouch, worldrevolution! Seeing someone say a method that I've dedicated many hours to over a few months is garbage hurts a bit. Your opinion seems to be in the minority from what I've seen though. RTK1 is helping me lots and I'm definitely sticking with it. I'm interested, how did you study kanji? Hopefully this doesn't come off in a holier than thou manner, I'm genuinely curious.

Not at all. But as for the specific method, I bought a white board with markers/erasers, hung it on my wall, and every day I'd wake up I'd write every kanji/word I was studying on the board. I started with 10 and added 10 new ones every day, so by about a month in I was writing 300 words or kanji first thing in the morning and it took me like an hour or two to get through them lol. This was just before computing-for-everything and the eventual smartpad society we have now really started, so back then actually learning how to write and stroke order and whatnot was valuable to me. I don't think I've handwritten anything but personal notes or government/hospital paperwork in the last 4 or 5 years.. but the knowledge of radicals and such you pick up from actually writing kanji does get engraved in your head and it helps. The "best" way, though, is just living there haha. After years and years it just gets to be second nature, whether reading the paper or a sign on the road.

And obviously I don't think any method is "garbage", but I met SO many people doing Heisig who could never get past the basic stuff that I felt it was too.. time consuming? brain consuming? ..without enough results. Back then though people didn't have Anki, which I hear is fairly popular for studying languages nowadays.

Shouta

What is the MLV model?

Multi Language Vendor. It's basically a company that handles a large number of languages for translation rather than just one, or an SLV. So rather than a contracting multiple companies to handle individual languages, you contract a company and then they split it up from there. It's a management difference but has some ramifications to the whole work structure and how the industry works.

Cranzor

Not at all. But as for the specific method, I bought a white board with markers/erasers, hung it on my wall, and every day I'd wake up I'd write every kanji/word I was studying on the board. I started with 10 and added 10 new ones every day, so by about a month in I was writing 300 words or kanji first thing in the morning and it took me like an hour or two to get through them lol. This was just before computing-for-everything and the eventual smartpad society we have now really started, so back then actually learning how to write and stroke order and whatnot was valuable to me. I don't think I've handwritten anything but personal notes or government/hospital paperwork in the last 4 or 5 years.. but the knowledge of radicals and such you pick up from actually writing kanji does get engraved in your head and it helps. The REAL way, though, is just living there haha. After years and years it just gets to be second nature, whether reading the paper or a sign on the road.

And obviously I don't think any method is "garbage", but I met SO many people doing Heisig who could never get past the basic stuff that I felt it was too.. time consuming? brain consuming? ..without enough results. Back then though people didn't have Anki, which I hear is fairly popular for studying languages nowadays.

Your method sounds really demanding! But if it worked for you then that's all that matters. Very interesting though. Also, I can't imagine doing RTK1 without Anki. I review every night and write out every kanji that I have to review for that night. The ones I miss I write down and go over again. Doing RTK1 without Anki seems like it'd be really hard, I hadn't even considered that.

I'm an expert

I had to look up what RTK1 meant, haha. I've never used Anki but it's just today's version of flash cards, right?

And I edited my post to make it a bit shorter, but I should have left in that I only started that method when I started studying for the JLPT, until then it was just basic studying the 常用 lists like anyone would. Like you said, whatever works.

KtSlime

Cranzor: To be fair to worldrevolution, I too am not a huge fan of RTK, it's a very unnatural method of starting to learning a language, and puts way too much stress on the written before you even get the basics down. The more effort you put into anything the more you get out. I basically think anyone working on learning the language without actually working on learning the language is a bit crazy, but if it works for those people, more power to them.

Worldrevolution: Anki is just an app that has an algorithm for determining when you should next need to review a card, it's good for efficient time utilization I guess, but it can just like RTK be used as a crutch. I've used anki, but I do prefer just having a small whiteboard and writing characters.

Necrovex: Read this real quick: kono take wo kono takegaki ni tatekaketa no ha, take wo tatekaketakatta kara tatekaketa no desu. =P

Zefah: Yeah, I have similar thoughts, I did do 4 years in university, and I do read books on grammar, but I'm a huge fan of just using Japanese shows/games/manga/etc to learn.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The method I used was to buy up a bunch of grade school-level Kanji drill (漢字ドリル) books and practice the hell out of them while reading lots of books and materials with an electronic dictionary on hand.

I figured the best way to go about learning Japanese was to mimic the way Japanese people learn the language as much as possible. It seemed to work out pretty well for me at least.

squidyj

Man.. the amount of people I ran into who studied Japanese in school and wanted a job in Japan!! ..only to end up a JET or some shitty eikaiwa teacher. The reality of which inevitably kills their fantasy version of life in Japan.

Yeah, that's why I'm studying computer graphics to get a job in Japan. Position of Graphics Researcher for Square Enix in Tokyo, no Japanese required, Conversational English is recommended :p

Just another decade or so to get that "published research" thing going on.

mantidor

Hey how did I miss this thread?

So I found out that to read in japanese is a great pick-up line if you are hitting on people with insane tattoos.

But then I tried watching some old anime and crap, I'm very rusty, I used to almost understand everything. I really don't want to lose it, but I'm already juggling with portuguese, spanish and english. I don't know if I can keep up.

I will keep an eye on the thread for sure though. Maybe pick up my old kanji books and start practicing again.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I wouldn't be so sure of that. I remain optimistic that Japan will have a come back. Historically, they always have. I wouldn't put too much faith in China and Korea to maintain their success, either, but that may just be me.

I'm sure they'll come back at some point. Will that point be when people like Walrus are looking for a job? I don't think so.

Korea is next on the list by the way. Right now they're the bee's knees, but they're a fairly small country and their growth curve as far as I know is nowhere near that of Japan back in the 60s, and China's rapidly working their way up. We may be buying Samsung products right now, but for how long?

Out of curiosity, where does your faith in Japan come from? I must say I don't see much hope on the business side of things right now.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure they'll come back at some point. Will that point be when people like Walrus are looking for a job? I don't think so.

Korea is next on the list by the way. Right now they're the bee's knees, but they're a fairly small country and their growth curve as far as I know is nowhere near that of Japan back in the 60s, and China's rapidly working their way up. We may be buying Samsung products right now, but for how long?

Out of curiosity, where does your faith in Japan come from? I must say I don't see much hope on the business side of things right now.

It's more of my "gut feeling" thing based on my knowledge of the country, its people, and its national spirit rather than any kind of economic or business analysis. As such, it's not really worth discussing since I don't have objective data to back up my faith in the country.

Mandoric

Banned

Just to interject, either the yen's gotta come down and exporters will shift out of cut-to-the-bone mode, or the yen will stay high long enough for overseas M&A to become a fad again. Combine that with retirement creeping up in a few years for the last of the Showa new hires and the labor pool starting to rightsize itself naturally, and there really isn't anywhere to go but up longterm.

Of course, this is all foolish to plan a career around, because it might happen when we're 30 or it might happen when we're 50.

Necrovex

I bike ride on a daily basis, and while I was biking today, I realized this would be the perfect time to practice my listening comprehension for Japanese, which is probably my weakest area atm. So, does anyone know any good podcasts or any listening items that would assist my listening, and even speaking skills?

KtSlime

I bike ride on a daily basis, and while I was biking today, I realized this would be the perfect time to practice my listening comprehension for Japanese, which is probably my weakest area atm. So, does anyone know any good podcasts or any listening items that would assist my listening, and even speaking skills?

This is a good idea. Does your program/textbook not have an accompanying audio/video portion? You just started recently right? <6 months? I haven't looked at the lower level JapanesePod101, but I listen to the advanced courses and enjoy them when I can't have my hands/eyes free. If you don't mind not getting it all, you can also always listen to the NHK News podcasts etc that are available as well. Even listening to some Japanese music (if that's your thing) can help you get accustomed to the sounds and rhythm of the language (although they do have so liberal license to stretch the language with music...)

Cranzor

I haven't looked at the lower level JapanesePod101, but I listen to the advanced courses and enjoy them when I can't have my hands/eyes free.

I've listened to some of the very low level ones and it's frustrating for me. It focuses on greetings and such and I feel obligated to listen since I hardly know any vocabulary or grammar. But the little that I do know makes me ask questions that they aren't addressing. For example, in the first episode of one of the beginner series, a greeting they teach is &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;. I knew the word &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427; before I heard this and I figured the word taught in the podcast must be a conjugation of the word I already knew. In the episode, they translated this as "nice to meet you." I already knew the verb meant to begin or to start so I realized that this is probably one of those things that just doesn't translate very easily. So rather than being concerned about how to greet someone, I seem to be thinking of the grammar. Does this mean I am a tiny bit more advanced than I thought? Should I just move on to the later ones?

Necrovex, it's worth trying out JapanesePod101 but just skip over the earlier ones. You are way more advanced than me and I feel like the earlier stuff is too basic.

KtSlime

I've listened to some of the very low level ones and it's frustrating for me. It focuses on greetings and such and I feel obligated to listen since I hardly know any vocabulary or grammar. But the little that I do know makes me ask questions that they aren't addressing. For example, in the first episode of one of the beginner series, a greeting they teach is &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;. I knew the word &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427; before I heard this and I figured the word taught in the podcast must be a conjugation of the word I already knew. In the episode, they translated this as "nice to meet you." I already knew the verb meant to begin or to start so I realized that this is probably one of those things that just doesn't translate very easily. So rather than being concerned about how to greet someone, I seem to be thinking of the grammar. Does this mean I am a tiny bit more advanced than I thought? Should I just move on to the later ones?

Necrovex, it's worth trying out JapanesePod101 but just skip over the earlier ones. You are way more advanced than me and I feel like the earlier stuff is too basic.

You will soon learn that Japanese is VERY dependent on ritualistic/formulaic expressions. Some things, should be just learned/memorized as the whole, at least at first. But you are right it is a conjugation of &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427; (It looks like this: &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427;->&#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12377;->&#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;, it's the polite/distal gerundive of to begin). In this form, it takes on it's own specialized meaning of "it's nice to meet you/make your acquaintance".

Only you can decide if you are learning anything from the podcasts, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off the various greetings and social cohesive vocabulary/sayings, it's very important to the Japanese, and as a speaker of the language, it should be important to you as well. I guess if you have watched a fair bit of subbed anime you have probably heard a number of these expressions before and they will sound familiar/old. If you wanted you could probably skip ahead and if confused skip back, but considering how short the lessons are, I'd just power through them as "review".

Edit: Anyone have any recommendations on sites/books dedicated to the &#25836;&#22768;&#35486;&#12539;&#25836;&#24907;&#35486;, in particular the forms ending in &#12426; and &#12392;?

Necrovex

You will soon learn that Japanese is VERY dependent on ritualistic/formulaic expressions. Some things, should be just learned/memorized as the whole, at least at first. But you are right it is a conjugation of &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427; (It looks like this: &#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12427;->&#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12377;->&#12399;&#12376;&#12417;&#12414;&#12375;&#12390;, it's the polite/distal gerundive of to begin). In this form, it takes on it's own specialized meaning of "it's nice to meet you/make your acquaintance".

Only you can decide if you are learning anything from the podcasts, but I wouldn't be so quick to write off the various greetings and social cohesive vocabulary/sayings, it's very important to the Japanese, and as a speaker of the language, it should be important to you as well. I guess if you have watched a fair bit of subbed anime you have probably heard a number of these expressions before and they will sound familiar/old. If you wanted you could probably skip ahead and if confused skip back, but considering how short the lessons are, I'd just power through them as "review".

Edit: Anyone have any recommendations on sites/books dedicated to the &#25836;&#22768;&#35486;&#12539;&#25836;&#24907;&#35486;, in particular the forms ending in &#12426; and &#12392;?

I'll probably go through the beginner stuff. I still am taking Japanese I, so it wouldn't hurt to get a slight review and go over material that we haven't touched upon (like formal situation, prior I only know "Doozo Yoroshiku," now I know if I work over in Japan, I should use "Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu."). Actually, that last bit of detail will be useful if I get to the interview portion of JET.

I appreciate the feedback!

Cranzor

Hmm, it seems I was completely off then. Perhaps I was too quick to dismiss it. You're right though, they're pretty short. I'll just listen through the early ones and see how it goes.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

This will probably be too general and superficial for you, but there's always &#12300;&#26085;&#26412;&#35486;&#25836;&#24907;&#35486;&#36766;&#20856;&#12301; by &#20116;&#21619;&#22826;&#37070;. There's a whole bunch of expressions complete with very good funny drawings and explanations in both Japanese and English. You're probably aware of this, but many of the "ri" and "to" have a corresponding 'doubled' gitaigo (which this book is focusing on) that basically has the same meaning but is less formal.

Necrovex

How effective is Japanese Pod 101? I checked out its site, and I am considering taking the leap in hopes it will improve my Japanese in the coming months/years. I get a month "free" if I pay a dollar, so I am thinking about experimenting with it.

For JLPT takers: http://nlbn.net/jatest/index_4.php

The main site is in vietnamese but the link above uses japanese. It will take you to interactive versions of all the old JLPT tests from 1991-2006, all levels and all sections. There are a few typos here and there that probably arose from transcribing the old tests, but it's another way to practice! The format is obviously totally different from the new post-2009 format but like any test it can help identify where your weak points are.

Does the Iphone have an app similar to Rikichan (on Firefox), i.e. , you highlight a word, and you get the definition?

Thanks.

Also for Chrome browser users, is there also something similar to Rikichan on Chrome browser?

Thanks guys

KtSlime

Does the Iphone have an app similar to Rikichan (on Firefox), i.e. , you highlight a word, and you get the definition?

Thanks.

Also for Chrome browser users, is there also something similar to Rikichan on Chrome browser?

Thanks guys

It's built into the OS, just like OS X.

HisshouBuraiKen: Thanks, they sure have made the test harder since those, last years was obnoxious, hopefully it won't be as bad this year.

Kilrogg: Thanks, I'll look into that. Perhaps pictures will help me remember them better.

It's built into the OS, just like OS X.

HisshouBuraiKen: Thanks, they sure have made the test harder since those, last years was obnoxious, hopefully it won't be as bad this year.

Kilrogg: Thanks, I'll look into that. Perhaps pictures will help me remember them better.

I've tried but I seem to be getting a Japanese only dictionary as opposed to one that translates the Japanes into English.

KtSlime

I've tried but I seem to be getting a Japanese only dictionary as opposed to one that translates the Japanes into English.

Hmm, your right, that's strange it seems like they got rid of the wa-ei dictionary in iOS 6 for some reason, didn't notice it since my iPad is still stuck on 5.1, guess that's probably for the best in this case. :lol

I used to use an app called Rikai Browser that did the job when I first got my iPad, it's not great, but should get the job done. Looking around Polyglot browser looks neat, might costs a couple dollars, but has a flashcard system built in. I can't recommend it since I've never used it, but it's probably worth it to at least look at the webpage http://www.polyglotapp.com.

Zoe

In iOS 5, getting a translation really depends on the word you're highlighting.

The more frustrating thing is when you're in an app (Twitter) that doesn't let you select the text.

KtSlime

The more frustrating thing is when you're in an app (Twitter) that doesn't let you select the text.

Yeah, it can be hit and miss a lot of times. Twitter is frustrating, but what I find the most obnoxious are lyrics websites. Recent versions of css/html can allow the website maker to choose to make certain text non-selectable, which means you can't cue up the dictionary (this is in OS X). Pretty ridiculous considering you can even use the dictionary on window titlebar titles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I hate the randomness of word selection in iOS. I'm done with this platform if they don't show off something insane next year.

Mandoric

Banned
I hate the randomness of word selection in iOS. I'm done with this platform if they don't show off something insane next year.

Selection on mobiles is just ass in general. i would kill for doubletap = select word, tripletap = select sentence like on a desktop.

Steering the discussion back to majors and education for a moment, I'm majoring in International Studies (Asian focus) but I actually have a career plan for an otherwise "worthless" degree. I'm going to enter either the Air Force or Navy, with the primary objective of applying and getting into officer school first. (Sadly I do not currently meet the criteria for RotC, so I have to do things the hard way.)

Since the U.S. Air Force and Navy have quite a bit of installations over in Japan, I figure IS (and a minor in Japanese) would behoove me if I want to get stationed over there. Regardless of what my rating/focus will be, having an extensive background on the language will be a huge asset for me, especially since I'm a quick learner and can apply that to whatever I do.

I also plan on studying Chinese after getting an advanced grasp on Japanese.

Necrovex

Steering the discussion back to majors and education for a moment, I'm majoring in International Studies (Asian focus) but I actually have a career plan for an otherwise "worthless" degree. I'm going to enter either the Air Force or Navy, with the primary objective of applying and getting into officer school first. (Sadly I do not currently meet the criteria for RotC, so I have to do things the hard way.)

Since the U.S. Air Force and Navy have quite a bit of installations over in Japan, I figure IS (and a minor in Japanese) would behoove me if I want to get stationed over there. Regardless of what my rating/focus will be, having an extensive background on the language will be a huge asset for me, especially since I'm a quick learner and can apply that to whatever I do.

I've thought about learning Chinese too when I have a solid grasp on the Japanese language. It should be slightly easier, since I'll know the kanji by that point.

I'm an expert

Most of the military people I met said it's not that easy to get stationed where you want, more that you get put on a waitlist and if there's an opening you might have a chance. It's more based off the needs of the branch. Basically, just because you studied Japan and speak Japanese and yadi blah doesn't necessarily mean they'll immediately ship you to Japan.

While you're right that IS is one of those "vague, worthless" majors, it's what you do with it that opens up opportunities. Are you actively searching for internships or study abroad programs in Asia (not just Japan)? What about local embassies and culture clubs? I think most undergrads (assuming you're one) think that once you come out of college with a piece of paper people come to scoop you up. Just doesn't work like that for anything outside of the few in-demand majors. Being an IS major is basically your business card to present to people when you are looking at some sort of work or travel experience. You don't have to wait until you're finished with your degree to have experience in your field. Journalist or film majors don't wait till they're done with their degrees to start writing or making films.

Anyway, this might be all stuff you already know. But I remember having a friend in undergrad who did Asian Studies, went to Asia for the usual ESL nonsense, came back and finished his AS masters, and now.... works as a paralegal (secretary) for some lawyer's mini practice. Basically this guy never did anything related to Asian Studies outside of go to class and then apply for teaching English. Even after coming back he was delivering pizzas while doing his masters instead of.. you know.. trying to do something related to the field he'd been studying for most of his adult life.

Don't fall into that useless degree trap.

While you're right that IS is one of those "vague, worthless" majors, it's what you do with it that opens up opportunities. Are you actively searching for internships or study abroad programs in Asia (not just Japan)? What about local embassies and culture clubs? I think most undergrads (assuming you're one) think that once you come out of college with a piece of paper people come to scoop you up. Just doesn't work like that for anything outside of the few in-demand majors. Being an IS major is basically your business card to present to people when you are looking at some sort of work or travel experience. You don't have to wait until you're finished with your degree to have experience in your field. Journalist or film majors don't wait till they're done with their degrees to start writing or making films.

Anyway, this might be all stuff you already know. But I remember having a friend in undergrad who did Asian Studies, went to Asia for the usual ESL nonsense, came back and finished his AS masters, and now.... works as a paralegal (secretary) for some lawyer's mini practice. Basically this guy never did anything related to Asian Studies outside of go to class and then apply for teaching English. Even after coming back he was delivering pizzas while doing his masters instead of.. you know.. trying to do something related to the field he'd been studying for most of his adult life.

Don't fall into that useless degree trap.

All degrees can take you places, none of them are inherently useless. Stuff like Asian studies and Japanese require a lot more research outside class in order to succeed, but then if you don't study you'll have trouble whatever degree you obtain. Not entirely sure what this has to do with learning Japanese tbh. However, I do agree that getting experience is really important.

Like with Korean, Chinese and Japanese share similar vocab (&#28310;&#20633; - &#12376;&#12421;&#12435;&#12403; is pretty much the same in all three!) and kanji is usually pronounced in a similar way. Korean is pretty great too. The grammar structure is almost identical, so I'm finding it fairly easy to pick up. I imagine Chinese would have similar advantages. I find the similarities between the East Asian languages to be really interesting. I'm thinking about doing my thesis on it.

I'm an expert

All degrees can take you places, none of them are inherently useless. Stuff like Asian studies and Japanese require a lot more research outside class in order to succeed, but then if you don't study you'll have trouble whatever degree you obtain. Not entirely sure what this has to do with learning Japanese tbh. However, I do agree that getting experience is really important.

Has nothing to do with Japanese, but I guess he wanted to ask some questions about where all the studying he's doing is going to take him. Talking strictly from an American job markets perspective, there are definitely useless degrees assuming the people who hold them are useless as well. That was the basic summary.

From what I've read on message boards, people who who manage to join the military as linguists and get assigned Japanese (which is rare?) as their language, are more likely to end up in Hawaii than Japan. You might not join as a linguist, but if you tell them you know Japanese, you could end up in Hawaii instead! :)

Zoe

Like with Korean, Chinese and Japanese share similar vocab (&#28310;&#20633; - &#12376;&#12421;&#12435;&#12403; is pretty much the same in all three!) and kanji is usually pronounced in a similar way. Korean is pretty great too. The grammar structure is almost identical, so I'm finding it fairly easy to pick up. I imagine Chinese would have similar advantages. I find the similarities between the East Asian languages to be really interesting. I'm thinking about doing my thesis on it.

Chinese is in a different language family, so while there are common words, the structure is different from Japanese and Korean.

KtSlime

I see someone here didn't study Anthropology and Classics... ;)

In the USA at least, my degrees are considered useless, and have actually hindered my ability to get non career jobs.

Zoe: Thanks for the link to Lyric Get, it's great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom