• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

I think akeru is the transitive and hiraku is the intransitive version.

"The door opened" - hiraku
"I opened the door" akeru

hiraku can also be used for other things as a transitive verb, according to my dictionary. "I opened the shop today" "I opened the meeting"

shimeru/shimaru are the transitive/intransitive versions of "to close"

not sure about tojiru though. It means the same as shimeru/maru. Probably the usage or connotation is different.

This is how our Japanese teacher explained it to us in their physical meanings, although sometimes more than one of the verbs can be used as well. 閉める is more of a directional closing, like sliding doors, drawers etc., whereas 閉じる is, well, not the above. Stuff with hinges like Western style doors and windows, gates, closing where you sort of join together two parts of something - eyes, books etc.

開くstill mostly involves pushing or pulling two parts of something to open it (opening your eyes can be used with both this and 開ける though). 開ける seems to be the way more general verb here, taking all the one-directional openings, taking off lids, unwrapping stuff etc.

Outside of the physical meanings, 開く and 閉じる seem to be the ones used more often as beginning or ending something.

Thanks!

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
With trepidation, I share the best online dictionary or there.

Tangorin Japanese Dictionary

It had excellent conjugation support and Kanji translation tools for whatever you search for. And most importantly, the layout looks like it was designed this century. ^_^

Give it a shot. It's helped me tons with my 101 and now 102 vocabulary.

Cranzor

If anyone is learning kana or just wants to practice, give this a shot. Hiragana or katakana (you choose before you start) floats down the screen and you must type in the pronunciation in order to shoot them. My only annoyance with it is that it only accepts certain versions of the romaji. For example, if it displays じゃ, you can't type "ja," you have to type "jya." But its still fun to practice with.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
感謝 means "thanks" (as in gratitude).

So, "chocolate as thanks" or gratitude chocolate!

alekth

感謝 chocolate

What is that ^

thanks

I think it has to do with Valentine's chocolate. It's not just something given by women to lovers/people they fancy, but also regularly given to co-workers, esp. superiors etc. It's not meant to be a flirty wink, more like the general お世話になりました thing.

I recently picked up a couple of these books in Book Off (there's a whole series of them):

(click the picture for a link to amazon)

I've found them to be great reading practice, as they introduce you to vocabulary often used in the news, but explain everything very simply (as it's aimed at kids). They also include extra explanations for some of the difficult words at the bottom of the page.

It's made of articles that range in length from 2 to maybe 6 pages. So it's also great to pick up and just one article or to read on the way to/from work.

Just though I'd let people know in case anyone's looking for something to read, but can't newspapers yet.

Cranzor

I've been learning vocabulary and pretty much avoiding grammar. Because I wanted to do both, I started looking into doing the sentence method (described here) and this all seems too broad and overwhelming. Then I realized that I have had a lot of success with Remembering the Kanji (textbook) as its helpful and not overwhelming to me. So I started thinking that maybe I should get a textbook for other areas.

Would anyone recommend Genki? That seems to be popular, a lot of people like it.

KtSlime

I've been learning vocabulary and pretty much avoiding grammar. Because I wanted to do both, I started looking into doing the sentence method (described here) and this all seems too broad and overwhelming. Then I realized that I have had a lot of success with Remembering the Kanji (textbook) as its helpful and not overwhelming to me. So I started thinking that maybe I should get a textbook for other areas.

Would anyone recommend Genki? That seems to be popular, a lot of people like it.

Start with simple sentences, and work up (Japanese can have simple one word sentences too). No one should have trouble with learning the grammar. It is fairly easy (second easiest aspect of Japanese behind pronunciation) and regular. It is a bit awkward if you have never spoken any synthetic-agglutinative languages, but with a bit of time, anyone can get used to that style of grammar.

Cranzor

Thanks everyone! I think I'm going to pick the first book up, along with the workbook.

Start with simple sentences, and work up (Japanese can have simple one word sentences too). No one should have trouble with learning the grammar. It is fairly easy (second easiest aspect of Japanese behind pronunciation) and regular. It is a bit awkward if you have never spoken any synthetic-agglutinative languages, but with a bit of time, anyone can get used to that style of grammar.

It's not so much difficult as it is time consuming and lacking in structure, at least when I am trying to learn these kinds of things through the internet. I just feel a textbook would provide a structure that would help me be more efficient and develop my skills more.

Necrovex

I have to give a minute speech on Wednesday (it's about anything involving me, so I wrote a lot of BS down to cover the minute long length). I wrote my speech down in romanji, since I can bring it up with me during my rant. Could anyone give this a look over and fix any grammatical mistake I might have made?

Konichiwa.

Watashi wa Austin desu. Nijuunisai. Senkou wa hanzaigaku desu. Kakkoii desu. Yoku nihongo wo benkyoshite, geemu wo shimasu. Mainichi shukudai wo shimasu.

Watashi wa kodomo no toki zenzen benkyoushimasendeshita. Kodomo no toki mainichi umi de oyoide, nemashita.

Boku wa tokidoki basu ni norimasu.

Osake ga suki desu; natty lite to Bud lite ga daikirai desu.

Mainichi Hatsune Miku wo kikimasu. Hastune Miku wa kawaii desu.

Watashi niwa futari no imouto ga imasu. Imoto ga daisuki desu.

Boku wa amari tabako wo suimasen. Tabako ga kirai desu.

Watashi wa yaseteimasu.

Mata ne.

Zoe

Watashi wa Austin desu. Nijuunisai. Senkou wa hanzaigaku desu. Kakkoii desu. Yoku nihongo wo benkyoshite, geemu wo shimasu. Mainichi shukudai wo shimasu.

Be consistent. You're missing "desu" here.

Other than that, only this line stands out:
Watashi wa yaseteimasu.

It's just really weird. Maybe you should say something about dieting/working out so you've lost weight.

KtSlime

It's just really weird. Maybe you should say something about dieting/working out so you've lost weight.

Necrovex: Yeah, it sounds a bit weird, I think the typical way I have heard the verb used really is by other people, either as description, or advice. Typically if you are in the midst of a diet, you use diet. ダイエット中です. Perhaps you can say that you are on a diet, and say how much weight you lost if you still want to use the verb やせる.

(Have you learned -たり yet? If not just ignore this, but I think you could use it to tighten up your first line if you have)

I'd also add a が or けど to you comments about alcohol. Conjunctive particles can really aid in making your speech sound less stilted.

Oh, and you should be consistent on your 'pronouns'. The use of a particular 'pronoun' changes based on who you are talking to, so it's odd to switch between them when you are talking to the same audience.

Cranzor: Yeah, I agree, the structure of a textbook will help you out quite a bit. Good luck with Genki.

Cranzor

Cranzor: Yeah, I agree, the structure of a textbook will help you out quite a bit. Good luck with Genki.

Thank you!

For you guys who have experience with Genki, is the workbook worth it if I'm studying on my own? I was planning on getting it but thinking of it now, I'm not so sure since I don't know how I'll know if my answers are correct. I still think I'm going to get it but I figured I would ask before I bought it.

And gosh, these prices are steep! I think it will be worth it though.

Edit: I went ahead and bought both the textbook and the workbook. I was already leaning toward getting the workbook before, like I said earlier, and I think it'll help me out.

Adamm

I didn't buy the workbook, so I can't comment on how good it is, but im sure it'll help.

There is an answer key as well you might need to buy if the answers are not in the book, so it all becomes very expensive =/

Necrovex

Necrovex: Yeah, it sounds a bit weird, I think the typical way I have heard the verb used really is by other people, either as description, or advice. Typically if you are in the midst of a diet, you use diet. ダイエット中です. Perhaps you can say that you are on a diet, and say how much weight you lost if you still want to use the verb やせる.

(Have you learned -たり yet? If not just ignore this, but I think you could use it to tighten up your first line if you have)

I'd also add a が or けど to you comments about alcohol. Conjunctive particles can really aid in making your speech sound less stilted.

Oh, and you should be consistent on your 'pronouns'. The use of a particular 'pronoun' changes based on who you are talking to, so it's odd to switch between them when you are talking to the same audience.

I appreciate the heads up. I'll probably omit the second-to-last line in the speech and make it something a tad more simple. I decided to take a stab at something a little more complicated. Thanks, all!

Gradivus

Anyone get their scores back from the language test back in Dec?

I ended up passing Lv 5 self taught. Listening section I did ok which (I really need to watch more Japanese related stuff), but ace pretty much everything else.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Hey guys, beginner here. Started using Memrise the other day and I'm pretty astounded with the progress I've made so far. Already have hiragana pretty much down pat. Been using some online hiragana flash cards in-between Memrise sessions for further practice. Of course, hiragana is the easy part, but I'm determined to stick with it this time (tried a few years back and gave up pretty quick). Here's hoping all goes well! :D

Cranzor

I didn't buy the workbook, so I can't comment on how good it is, but im sure it'll help.

There is an answer key as well you might need to buy if the answers are not in the book, so it all becomes very expensive =/

I came across this, which was apparently a PDF that contained the answers, but it was taken down once the physical answer book was released. Bummer. I might just end up buying the answer book.

Hey guys, beginner here. Started using Memrise the other day and I'm pretty astounded with the progress I've made so far. Already have hiragana pretty much down pat. Been using some online hiragana flash cards in-between Memrise sessions for further practice. Of course, hiragana is the easy part, but I'm determined to stick with it this time (tried a few years back and gave up pretty quick). Here's hoping all goes well! :D

Memrise seems interesting. I tried it out a few days ago and it seems like it could be effective. Maybe I should put some more time into it!

Anyway, good luck! People in this thread are always helpful, so stop by if you get stuck.

Also, I posted this game on this page actually, but I'm not sure anyone saw it. It's similar to Space Invaders, but made for practicing the kana. Give it a shot if you'd like, it may help you retain the hiragana you've learned.

GSR

My college used Genki I+II my freshman year, and the workbook seemed pretty decent. One thing I liked was the kanji sheets it had for practicing the basic kanji.

The word 一応 seems to be used in many different ways with different context.

I feel I understand it when it's being used as "tentatively or for the time being".

A different type of usage I encountered was in a drama, where character A is trying to hack into an email, and she's trying different passwords with no luck. Character B (a naive woman) suggests a password, that is so obvious that it would not make a good password. Character A is reluctant because only a fool would use such a password, and this man is no fool.

So character B says "一応やってみて。”

I assuming in this situation it's referring to something along the lines of "just in case"? Is this correct?

Then there are situations where it seems to be more of a filler word or something along the lines of とりあえず。I think I understand this but would like an example if possible.

Can someone give me examples of how the word 一応 can be used besides what I've listed above?

Thanks.

Gacha-pin

The word 一応 seems to be used in many different ways with different context.

I feel I understand it when it's being used as "tentatively or for the time being".

A different type of usage I encountered was in a drama, where character A is trying to hack into an email, and she's trying different passwords with no luck. Character B (a naive woman) suggests a password, that is so obvious that it would not make a good password. Character A is reluctant because only a fool would use such a password, and this man is no fool.

So character B says "一応やってみて。”

I assuming in this situation it's referring to something along the lines of "just in case"? Is this correct?

Then there are situations where it seems to be more of a filler word or something along the lines of とりあえず。I think I understand this but would like an example if possible.

Can someone give me examples of how the word 一応 can be used besides what I've listed above?

Thanks.

とりあえずレスしてみた。

Gacha-pin

「一応」、「とりあえず」のどちらも使える場合もあれば、どちらかしか使えない場合もあると思う。
でもどちらも使える場合でも、少し意味が違ってくるかも。
ちょっと考えてみたけど良い例が全然思い浮かばないや・・・。

( ゚Д゚)y─┛~~ 。oO(「一応」と「とりあえず」の使い方が分からない。誰も知らないかもしれないけど一応neogafで聞いてみるか)
(;´・ω・`) 。oO(「一応」と「とりあえず」の使い方が分からない。自分で調べる前にとりあえずneogafで聞いてみるか)

一応こんな感じ。とりあえずLord Ghirahimとかが完璧な回答をしてくれるまでの間に合せにでもなれば。

Does anyone living in Japan mind me PMing them about making a purchase of an item in Japan (I live in the US) mainly looking into price differences between video game consoles in the US and Japan. Anyone? Thanks!!

「一応」、「とりあえず」のどちらも使える場合もあれば、どちらかしか使えない場合もあると思う。
でもどちらも使える場合でも、少し意味が違ってくるかも。
ちょっと考えてみたけど良い例が全然思い浮かばないや・・・。

( ゚Д゚)y─┛~~ 。oO(「一応」と「とりあえず」の使い方が分からない。誰も知らないかもしれないけど一応neogafで聞いてみるか)
(;´・ω・`) 。oO(「一応」と「とりあえず」の使い方が分からない。自分で調べる前にとりあえずneogafで聞いてみるか)

一応こんな感じ。とりあえずLord Ghirahimとかが完璧な回答をしてくれるまでの間に合せにでもなれば。

ありがとう。 詳しくも一度よめる。

Are there any dictionaries for the Iphone with audio/pronunciation functions besides Imiwa?
Thanks.

Does anyone living in Japan mind me PMing them about making a purchase of an item in Japan (I live in the US) mainly looking into price differences between video game consoles in the US and Japan. Anyone? Thanks!!
Anyone? Just interested in price differences in the Japanese 3DS and the US version, if anyone can recommend me a place to import that would be greatly appreciated~ sorry for being off-topic and thank you!!l

Anyone? Just interested in price differences in the Japanese 3DS and the US version, if anyone can recommend me a place to import that would be greatly appreciated~ sorry for being off-topic and thank you!!l

Since no one else is helping you..you are in the US?.... just buy a japanese 3ds on amazon, it would probably be the easiest and fastest, and it says their warehouse in the US has them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...field-keywords=3ds+japan&rh=i:aps,k:3ds+japan

type in 3ds LL on amazon for the xl japanese version

- though I find it hard to believe that someone with a gaf account would have no idea how to procure a jpn 3ds ?

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
??

What exactly do you want to know? Go to amazon.co.jp and type in 3DS. That's how much a 3DS costs. Minus a couple thousand for a used one from Geo/Hard Off. Play-asia is the site most usually used for this stuff, or find someone to send it to you. Actually does it have a lithium battery? They get all meh about that. Or like someone mentioned, Amazon has vendors with Japanese stuff too.

KtSlime

Rakuten ichiba just recently started doing international sales, so that is an option. eBay usually has a couple available too. Lots of options for importing these days.

ys45

Guys i need some advise please.

I can now read in Japanese after learning Kana my first plan was to learn how to read and now that is done i am not sure where should i go next.

I started reading about verb and grammar and started learning words but i'm not sure if i should do that right away , should i get better at reading (i read like a kid right now lol) ?

Started learning some basic sentence (greetings and things like that)

So fellow Gaffers, what do you suggest i do next ?

KtSlime

I can now read in Japanese after learning Kana my first plan was to learn how to read and now that is done i am not sure where should i go next.

I started reading about verb and grammar and started learning words but i'm not sure if i should do that right away , should i get better at reading (i read like a kid right now lol) ?

Started learning some basic sentence (greetings and things like that)

So fellow Gaffers, what do you suggest i do next ?

How are you supposed to read without knowing the verbs and grammar?

Definitely work on that, you can get quicker at reading while you learn the important stuff. =)

Do you have any books that you have already purchased on the topic, are you looking for recommendations? Have you looked at Tae Kim's website? What are you goals with the language?

ys45

How are you supposed to read without knowing the verbs and grammar?

Definitely work on that, you can get quicker at reading while you learn the important stuff. =)

Do you have any books that you have already purchased on the topic, are you looking for recommendations? Have you looked at Tae Kim's website? What are you goals with the language?

Well, by reading i meant being able to know what are the pronunciation not understanding what it says :p

Yes i have used Tae Kim website a lot (also downloaded his grammar guide in pdf format for my Android Tablet)

I also got Genki book 1 (heard it was good) and use Memrise website for daily practice on words and kana drill .

You'll practise and improve reading when you learn vocab and grammar :p

Midou

I thought with my currently endless free time of being unemployed, this might be a good time in trying to get back into this. Is the stuff in the OP still the best way to start? Are there better books or anything now?

Thanks.

I thought with my currently endless free time of being unemployed, this might be a good time in trying to get back into this. Is the stuff in the OP still the best way to start? Are there better books or anything now?

Thanks.

The two most important things lacking in the OP are, IMHO:

KanjiDamage: http://kanjidamage.com/
I have very limited exposure to Heisig's stuff but this site is much more fun/easy to remember, but you have to have a similar sense of humor. I find his radical/primitive mnemonics very easy to remember, and even replaced some of my own that I'd been using for years with what he came up with.

The Obenkyo app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Obenkyo&hl=en
If there's a better FREE app for learning kana/kanji out there then whoever told you that is a filthy liar.

Midou

The two most important things lacking in the OP are, IMHO:

KanjiDamage: http://kanjidamage.com/
I have very limited exposure to Heisig's stuff but this site is much more fun/easy to remember, but you have to have a similar sense of humor. I find his radical/primitive mnemonics very easy to remember, and even replaced some of my own that I'd been using for years with what he came up with.

The Obenkyo app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Obenkyo&hl=en
If there's a better FREE app for learning kana/kanji out there then whoever told you that is a filthy liar.

Awesome, I knew there had to be a good app for it. Thanks. First link seems interesting too, will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom