• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I found a hiragana chart online, but some of the hiragana does not match other hiragana I am finding. I mean, it looks similar but not quite. Like the difference between English print and cursive. Does Japanese have something similar?

Chart I'm using: http://www.textfugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/hiragana-chart-image.png

What most charts I am finding look like: http://th03.deviantart.net/fs22/PRE/f/2007/352/7/b/Hiragana_chart_by_Jaarron.png

For starting out, which one should I use?

Zoe

Use this one: http://www.textfugu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/hiragana-stroke-order-chart.pdf

Or this:

Hiragana021.png

Meia

So.....

I've been thinking about things lately, including possibly wanting to back to college to a different career path. Problem is, last graduated over 10 years ago, so don't even know if I have the capability of learning/retaining really. BUT I am a massive fan of anime stuffs and games in general, so figure a good way to figure out if I can as I get things together over the next year is to learn a language I don't know but have always been interested in.

Then I stumble upon this thread, and my mind has exploded. What is the best way for someone *totally* new to start this whole thing? I've seen the Rosetta Stone thing, but don't know what's the best method of just starting. Like, materials I should be on the lookout for, etc. Back in college, a few of my professors were kind of crap so I kind of taught myself out of textbooks, so self-teaching isn't a foreign concept, but this doesn't strike me as a "Here's a texbook, go to town!" kind of thing.

I have nothing but free time, and only positives can come from doing this, so really willing to give this as much time/effort as possible, and I highly doubt the college I was looking at has any classes, and I know there's nothing in the area in terms of classes that I can do.

Any advice?

KuroNeeko

That chart is fine;D

So I don't want to clog up this thread with more text analysis requests, but my Japanese buddy is currently not available and so I only have GAF right now to ask...

I just want to say in a short few sentences, that I think the Internet will be more important in regards to elections in the future. People will vote online and talk about politics, once more people use the internet.
I know there are mistakes, so any help would be appreciated:

ネット世論は大切
個人的な意見ですが、ネット世論はもっと大切になる都思います。たぶん、将来政府がネットで選挙を実施してできると、ネットでディスカッションをできることのは必要です。人々が自分の意見を書いたり、他人のを読んだりできる方法です。今まで、ネットでいろいろ極端な意見がありますけど、この意見は大数ではありません。体多数はネットを使うと、極端な意見は小部分になると思います。

There are a lot of small, yet persistent problems with your text.

I'm not sure where to start, nor can I really post everything without rewriting it for you.

Just some suggestions but...

・ 個人的な意見ですが、
I don't know the context of your text, whether it's academic or meant to be part of a speech, but I don't think you need this. It should be obvious that you're stating this as part of your opinion and not fact. This construction makes sense to me as a native speaker of English, but may come off as unnatural in a conversation among Japanese.

・。たぶん、将来政府がネットで選挙を実施してできると、ネットでディスカッションをできることのは必要です。
No need to make your statement weaker here. If the government institutes elections via the internet in the future, then a means of discussion will be necessary. Also, repeating ネット in the same sentence, again, makes sense in English but not necessarily in Japanese, or can come off as being heavy handed. I imagine you're struggling to find a pronoun in the second sentence, but you don't always need one since we know you're talking about the internet already.

Also, after できる you don't need こと and のは in this situation (or even most situations.) のは/のが typically comes after the dictionary form of the verb, as does こと. You may want to look for words that strengthen your argument like, 必ず、に違いない、or rhetorical questions using ではないでしょうか。 If that's beyond your current level, then something like, ネットでのディスカッションが絶対に必要になると思います or you can reverse the order of your next sentence (if I'm reading it correctly) and say something like できると、人が自分の意見を交換できる方法が必要となります。 and then tie in your sentence about how the net will fill that need or whatnot.

・人々が自分の意見を書いたり、他人のを読んだりできる方法です。
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. If I translate it into English, I'm guessing that you're trying to say something like "If it becomes possible to hold government elections on the net in the future, then people will need the ability to discuss (those elections) on the internet - a place (way in your sentence) where they can post their own opinions and be exposed to the opinions of others.

Is that right?

・今まで、ネットでいろいろ極端な意見がありますけど、この意見は大数ではありません。体多数はネットを使うと、極端な意見は小部分になると思います。[

I think I get the gist of what you're saying. Basically that sure, there may be a number of wackos out there with some rather extreme beliefs, but as the number of people participating in discussions on the internet increases - you believe that these minute few will quickly become the minority?

I think the connection between the previous sentence and this line of thinking will probably throw most Japanese speakers. You may want to throw a sentence between the two something like 確かにインタネットが完璧な集会所ではありません。Then go into the wackos like ネットでいろいろ極端な意見があります then follow with "however"....

・I could be wrong, but I think you're shooting yourself in the foot with この意見は大数ではありません

・体多数はネットを使うと. I don't understand what you mean here. I've guessed at it but could be wrong.

So.....

I've been thinking about things lately, including possibly wanting to back to college to a different career path. Problem is, last graduated over 10 years ago, so don't even know if I have the capability of learning/retaining really. BUT I am a massive fan of anime stuffs and games in general, so figure a good way to figure out if I can as I get things together over the next year is to learn a language I don't know but have always been interested in.

Then I stumble upon this thread, and my mind has exploded. What is the best way for someone *totally* new to start this whole thing? I've seen the Rosetta Stone thing, but don't know what's the best method of just starting. Like, materials I should be on the lookout for, etc. Back in college, a few of my professors were kind of crap so I kind of taught myself out of textbooks, so self-teaching isn't a foreign concept, but this doesn't strike me as a "Here's a texbook, go to town!" kind of thing.

I have nothing but free time, and only positives can come from doing this, so really willing to give this as much time/effort as possible, and I highly doubt the college I was looking at has any classes, and I know there's nothing in the area in terms of classes that I can do.

Any advice?

I'm just going to throw this out there, but you should keep in mind that the journey of learning a new language can vary wildly from person to person.

First, throw out the notion that you don't have the capability of learning / retaining. You do. Thinking like that is probably the easiest way to keep yourself from doing anything, let alone learn a new language.

In my experience, learning a language boils down to a few essential points.

1) Set reasonable goals

First, identify what you want to do in the target language. What level of fluency are you aiming for? You should know that becoming a native-level bilingual is near impossible if you haven't had the exposure from an early age. Getting that out of the way, it is completely possible to get to the point where you can communicate with Japanese natives with minimal difficulty, enjoy manga, or movies / anime in the native language. It will not happen overnight. Assuming that you were raised as an English native, Japanese is one of the more time-intensive languages to become proficient in. The FSI (Foreign Service Institute) lists Japanese as a category III language, meaning that the total amount of time required is usually a lot more than other similar languages like Spanish, French, or German; and fairly more than other languages like Irish or Vietnamese. Japanese is not so much difficult as it is different, and is influenced strongly by Japanese culture.

So I would start small. Like, really small. Find what you like about the language and stick with it. If you like reading manga, then find some seriously low level stuff, grab a dictionary, and read through it. Just set the bar low. One of the most common reasons people quit learning a language is they get discouraged easily because they've chosen something too hard. Learn a new katakana / hiragana character a day. Learn how to write / say your name. Once you get an idea of where you are progress-wise, start setting mid and long-term goals. This can range from taking the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or spending a week in Japan or whatever.

2) Find something you like and stick with it (Persistence)

If you're into manga then find some something that looks interesting, grab a dictionary and a pencil and get to work. One of the more famous, non-native celebrities in Japan (David Specter) got his start this way and he's god-tier in Japanese. If you want to start reading the language "as-is", without the romanji, then start working on learning hiragana and katakana. It's all repetition. Then you can read more manga and start working your way up to kanji.

Learning a language is not a race, it's journey. As long as you're taking steps, you're progressing. You'll have to be the judge of how fast you want to go. The key is to have fun while you're doing it and TO KEEP DOING IT.

The elephant in the room...

3) Self Learning
It is possible for you to learn a language on your own. There are a ton of resources out there. I will tell you though that most people will benefit from actual contact with native speakers. There's just no getting around it. You'll only get so far before you hit a wall, unless you want to concentrate solely on reading / writing. Eventually, you will have to find a way to resolve this problem. Trips abroad, tutoring, friends, whatever. Chances are though, that if you've reached a point where you're seriously looking to deal with this problem - then you'll probably be dedicated enough to find a way. Where there is a will, there is a way. Also, learning a language costs time and money, mostly time, but you can find a lot of great, fun stuff on Amazon if you look.

1) Identify your goals. What do you want to do?
2) Find ways to have fun while accomplishing your goals.
3) Persistence.

Everything else will fall into place.

Good luck!

Zoe

Bah. I'll use both charts to get used to both forms.

There really isn't a different form to them. The font in the one you originally posted just has the hooks that's a carry over from writing with brushes.

I really recommend using a chart that shows the stroke order. Learning how to write the characters (and properly at that) goes a long way in retaining them.

KuroNeeko

There really isn't a different form to them. The font in the one you originally posted just has the hooks that's a carry over from writing with brushes.

I really recommend using a chart that shows the stroke order. Learning how to write the characters (and properly at that) goes a long way in retaining them.

Ah, this is true. If you're going to learn them, you may as well learn how to write them correctly.

Probably a dumb question, but why are these two characters:

を and お

pronounced the same? Is the former one a kanji symbol?

sorry for the extremely small letters. Dunno how to make them bigger.

Also according to some site, てふ should be read as "cho" but those are the characters for "te" and "fu" ...

Adamm

を and お

Also according to some site, てふ should be read as "cho" but those are the characters for "te" and "fu" ...

Yes を and お are pronounced the same, although を is generally referred to as 'wo' rather than 'o'
As far as im aware を is only ever used as a particle and not used to make up actual words, unlike お which is.

As for てふ you are right its 'tefu' ちよ is cho, what site is telling you that?

Necrovex

を and お

を is not a kanji symbol, it is part of the hiragana alphabet. を is an object marker, i.e. it is a particle. I have not come across any Japanese words that have を in it.

Actually, Japanese-Gaf, is ヲ ever used for anything, or does it simply exist for shits and giggles?

Unlike English, the way to pronounce a character in Japanese will always be the same. So, your original theory was right that てふ would be "tefu." That's what I really like about Japanese, I only have to one remember how to pronounce a character in one way.

Mandoric

Banned
As for てふ you are right its 'tefu' ちよ is cho, what site is telling you that?

Most proper dictionaries also list the old orthography, where てふ is a proper way to write the sound we hear as cho.

However, it's irrelevant for any text written in the past century or so.

を is now obsolete in standard Japanese, and only used as the particle read o.

ヲ is used in all-katakana texts, such as telegraphs and 1980s computer displays or when using katakana for emphasis. It can also be used in (usually fictional) names in order to look impressive.

Most proper dictionaries also list the old orthography, where てふ is a proper way to write the sound we hear as cho.

However, it's irrelevant for any text written in the past century or so.

を is now obsolete in standard Japanese, and only used as the particle read o.

ヲ is used in all-katakana texts, such as telegraphs and 1980s computer displays or when using katakana for emphasis. It can also be used in (usually fictional) names in order to look impressive.

Ah that explains it.

http://etext.virginia.edu/japanese/hyakunin/hyakua.html

Poem #2.

Tefu = cho

I wonder why that changed.

As for を being obsolete, how is that so? It is the hiragana for "wo" do they just not use that sound in like 99% of their vocabulary?

hongcha

As for を being obsolete, how is that so? It is the hiragana for "wo" do they just not use that sound in like 99% of their vocabulary?

を is pronounced [o], not [wo]. Just like お. There are no [wo] syllables anymore. They kept the を as the object marker.

There also used to be ゐ[wi] and ゑ [we] syllables, but those are long gone as well and not used in the writing system except occasionally in some store signs or whatnot. 

Des0lar

will learn eventually
not covered everything.

次ぐに(つぐに) --> 次に(つぎに)
ピザにいれる --> ピザにのせる (to put something into...to put something on)

snip

That chart is fine;D

There are a lot of small, yet persistent problems with your text.

I'm not sure where to start, nor can I really post everything without rewriting it for you.

Just some suggestions but...
snip

Wow, thanks to both of you! Very very helpful :D

I have a rudimentary grammar question for you guys. What is the difference between these two statements?

Kore wa watashi no hon desu.

and

Kono hon wa watashi no desu.

Are they the same thing? Is one more commonly used than the other?

Ledsen

I have a rudimentary grammar question for you guys. What is the difference between these two statements?

Kore wa watashi no hon desu.

and

Kono hon wa watashi no desu.

Are they the same thing? Is one more commonly used than the other?

I'm not very adept at the language, but I would say that the first statement would be an excellent answer to the question "What is this?", and the second statement would be an excellent answer to the question "Whose book is this?".

scottnak

I'm not very adept at the language, but I would say that the first statement would be an excellent answer to the question "What is this?", and the second statement would be an excellent answer to the question "Whose book is this?".

I think that's a good breakdown of the difference.
First goes -> This is my book
Second goes -> This book is mine

Cranzor

I'm learning the te-form and was just wondering what's a better idea. Genki says that it's probably easier to learn verbs in a set (書く - 書きます - 書いて is the example they give) rather than applying conjugation rules on the spot. For me, the latter seems easier, but I'm just wondering if there is an advantage to doing it the other way.

Also, I'm a little confused here. This is from Genki.

すみません。ちょっと教えてくだい。

Since 教える ends with る, should the correct te-form be 教えって?

Thanks everyone!

Zoe

すみません。ちょっと教えてくだい。

Thanks everyone!

Kangaeru is a class 2 verb, so you just drop the 'ru'. You're thinking of class 1 verbs.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I'm learning the te-form and was just wondering what's a better idea. Genki says that it's probably easier to learn verbs in a set (書く - 書きます - 書いて is the example they give) rather than applying conjugation rules on the spot. For me, the latter seems easier, but I'm just wondering if there is an advantage to doing it the other way.

すみません。ちょっと教えてくだい。

Thanks everyone!

As far as learning methods go, I really don't have any. It's really something that you have to learn and then practice. Every iru/eru verb is easy to conjugate with -te since all you have to do is take the -masu form and replace -masu with -te. So, since 教える is a regular -eru verb, the -te form is not 教えって like you suggested, but 教えて.

All the other verbs (mu/nu/ku/su/tsu/gu/bu/u verbs as well as -ru verbs that don't fall into the iru/eru category) have a special te/ta form that you just gotta learn. It goes like this: plain form of the verb from which you take the ending and replace it with:
-んで for mu/nu/bu verbs
-いて for ku-verbs
-いで for gu-verbs
-って for tsu/u/ru-verbs
-して for su-verbs

Cranzor

Oh, wow, not sure how I completely missed that.

Kangaeru is a class 2 verb, so you just drop the 'ru'. You're thinking of class 1 verbs.

You meant oshieru, right? Unless I'm missing something.

As far as learning methods go, I really don't have any. It's really something that you have to learn and then practice. Every iru/eru verb is easy to conjugate with -te since all you have to do is take the -masu form and replace -masu with -te. So, since 教える is a regular -eru verb, the -te form is not 教えって like you suggested, but 教えて.

All the other verbs (mu/nu/ku/su/tsu/gu/bu/u verbs as well as -ru verbs that don't fall into the iru/eru category) have a special te/ta form that you just gotta learn. It goes like this: plain form of the verb from which you take the ending and replace it with:
-んで for mu/nu/bu verbs
-いて for ku-verbs
-いで for gu-verbs
-って for tsu/u/ru-verbs
-して for su-verbs

So many things to remember! Oh well, I don't think it will be too hard.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Thanks!

Can anyone recommend a good Hiragana flash card-like app? There are a few (paying a few bucks is not out of the question).

を is not a kanji symbol, it is part of the hiragana alphabet. を is an object marker, i.e. it is a particle. I have not come across any Japanese words that have を in it.

Actually, Japanese-Gaf, is ヲ ever used for anything, or does it simply exist for shits and giggles?

Unlike English, the way to pronounce a character in Japanese will always be the same. So, your original theory was right that てふ would be "tefu." That's what I really like about Japanese, I only have to one remember how to pronounce a character in one way.

I've seen the katakana ヲ used as a stylistic choice. Someone named Kaoru (かおる) wrote their name as カヲル on a nametag.

I think that's the first time I've ever actually seen that character used. Maybe I saw it in the intro to Metroid on the Famicom as well.

Edit: Yeah you can see it used here where everything is written in katakana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfj67J527Lk

So hard to read stuff that's in all kana. Thank god for kanji.

gillty

Banned
I used iKana for learning Kana, its not bad, would be better if it used a less modern font.

Then ofcourse Anki decks for everything else beyond that.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I didn't want to make a new thread for this, could someone tell me what this says?

2723150.jpg

alekth

It might have existed with actual use. The hiragana を is way more common in Classical Japanese (e.g. 男 is をとこ), so the katakana one might have had its usage.

Mandoric

Banned
It might have existed with actual use. The hiragana を is way more common in Classical Japanese (e.g. 男 is をとこ), so the katakana one might have had its usage.

It did at one point. As far as can be told, they merged around 1300 for purposes other than accented position in-sentence (the same process that shifted hi to i if not the first syllable in many words), and even earlier as completely distinct syllables (shortly after Japanese changed from having eight to five vowels: in the oldest documents there are two distinct versions of i, e, and o.)

In modern Japanese を is almost solely used nonphonetically as a particle, just as one of へ's usages is a nonphonetical particle read "e". There are occasional uses to represent foreign or non-standard-Japanese (mostly Ryukyuan) "wo" sounds, but even those are mostly written as ウォ. There are also occasional usages in pop culture read "o" solely to be pretentious; Gainax's beloved ヱクセリヲン and ヱヴァンゲリヲン are exactly as authentic as the English þ often seen in "þe olde" pronounced 'ye olde'.

Of course, the same deliberately archaic kana usage pre-reformation that preserved を read お also dictated katakana used only sparingly when written by a male, making ヲ a regular sight in both real and faux prewar formal texts. It also remains the preferred form in limited (8bit, telegraph, etc) character sets and as an ersatz italic.

</archaic japanese makes me a miserable subhuman being>

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Just a quick bump for the previous post. I hope someone can help, but I don't want to post it willy nilly without permission first.

KageZero

Has anyone here subscribed to textfugu(payed to get access to next lessons). I'm almost done with the first one, but does it pay off to subscribe to the next ones? Since i can't learn japanese at school i was thinking of combining rosseta stone + textfugu but i would like to know some inside info about it if someone has used it before

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
OneEightZero, I think it would depend on the level of "help" you're asking for.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
AKA do you want help with what you've done yourself or do you just want free translation service.

Sooo at my Universiy they offer exchange programs to Japan. I was wondering if I should shoot for Intermediate Japanese (required) or advance Japanese? What's the pluses? The classes won't set me back as I have 30 units all ready and I'm still in my first year.

Edit: if it helps I attended SJSU if anyone knows the professors/curriculum and what not.

05-02-09.jpg

I'm having a hard time figuring out what "&#12394;&#12435;&#12363;&#12420;&#12384;" means in this context or in general. I know (or at least I think the ya is short for iya), but I just can't come up with a good english equivalent.

zoku88

05-02-09.jpg

I'm having a hard time figuring out what "&#12394;&#12435;&#12363;&#12420;&#12384;" means in this context or in general. I know (or at least I think the ya is short for iya), but I just can't come up with a good english equivalent.

Going to school is a bit unpleasant --?

That might work, slash, be close enough.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Don't try to translate it word for word. Just get the meaning. I hate going to school, going to school sucks, going to school..ugh

etc.

Don't try to translate it word for word. Just get the meaning. I hate going to school, going to school sucks, going to school..ugh

etc.

The problem is someone asked me to translate that phrase without any context whatsoever, so I was trying to think of a decent English equivalent.

zoku88 said:

That might work, slash, be close enough.

That could work. Thanks.

Weird question, does &#20001;&#24615;&#30340; mean bisexual or hermaphrodite? Different dictionaries are giving me different answers, but they have quite different meanings so I'm a tad confused.

05-02-09.jpg

I'd usually translate &#12394;&#12435;&#12363; as something like "kind of" or even "like" (eg. Going to school is, like, kind of awful) because its often used as a pause word.

Bodacious

Banned
05-02-09.jpg

nanka yada = something rubs me the wrong way

I would translate your phrase: "Going to school is just ... meh."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Weird question, does &#20001;&#24615;&#30340; mean bisexual or hermaphrodite? Different dictionaries are giving me different answers, but they have quite different meanings so I'm a tad confused.

I'd usually translate &#12394;&#12435;&#12363; as something like "kind of" or even "like" (eg. Going to school is, like, kind of unpleasant) because its often used as a pause word.

The technical term for bisexuality is &#20001;&#24615;&#24859;, but you'll see &#12496;&#12452; or &#12496;&#12452;&#12475;&#12463;&#12471;&#12515;&#12523; used much more commonly.

&#20001;&#24615;&#30340; is more like describing someone or something that has aspects of both genders, or identifies as different genders at different times. Pretty much "androgynous," although &#20013;&#24615;&#30340; can mean that as well, with the nuance being more of "something in between the genders."

nanka yada = something rubs me the wrong way

I would translate your phrase: "Going to school is just ... meh."

Unless my understanding of "meh" (expressing general indifference with a slant towards negativity) is mistaken, the line definitely has a stronger negative connotation. worldrevolution had it right. The character is saying that she doesn't want to go to school.

Going to school is just ... meh.

I hate going to school, going to school sucks, going to school..ugh

This is what I love about Japanese and translation.

Although I gotta say, &#12420;&#12384; is the worst word to translate that I've come across so far.

The technical term for bisexuality is &#20001;&#24615;&#24859;, but you'll see &#12496;&#12452; or &#12496;&#12452;&#12475;&#12463;&#12471;&#12515;&#12523; used much more commonly.

&#20001;&#24615;&#30340; is more like describing someone or something that has aspects of both genders, or identify as either gender at different times. Pretty much, "androgynous," although &#20013;&#24615;&#30340; can mean that as well, with the nuance being more of "something in between the genders."

aaah, &#12394;&#12427;&#12411;&#12393;. Thanks for the fast response!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom