• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Big Ass Superior Thread of Learning Japanese

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranzor

Ooops, guess the font isn't too clear on my work computer :lol

教える != 考える

A bit late here, but gosh, I'm not sure how some of you guys can read kanji with such a small font. You were pretty close there, at least. I can't even begin to guess!

Well, I have been thinking about my studying schedule and I sort of want to change it up. With doing Japanese stuff and homework everyday, I am not getting enough time to do other stuff. I love learning Japanese, but I still want to have time for other things. Here's my everyday schedule.

- Remembering the Kanji (5 new kanji everyday) ~1 hour
The time this takes varies. Some days when I have other things to get to, it takes 30 minutes. Other days, like on weekends, it can take more than an hour (mostly due to procrastination). It does seem kind of long for learning 5 new kanji, I know, and I'm constantly trying to figure out how to make it quicker. I definitely feel like this does help me, and I do enjoy it overall, but it can be a bit of a bore sometimes. If I keep going by this schedule of 5 a day, I think I will be done around August, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm pretty sure I started it last year at the end of August, so I kind of feel like there's a bit of a rush to get this done, even though it really doesn't matter how long it takes.

- Genki ~1 hour
This is my favorite part of studying. I love actually using the language and learning vocabulary and grammar. I allot an hour a day to doing this, but sometimes it's a little less and sometimes it's a little more. Again, though, for some reason I have the idea of doing a lesson a week in my head, and I feel like I'm going too slow if I go past a week.

- Anki (RTK) ~1 hour
My least favorite. I dread it most of the time and it's pretty boring. I feel it helps out with doing RTK though, so I do it anyway. The hour or so it takes also encompasses the time it takes to go over the ones I missed. Also, I do hand write every kanji while reviewing, which probably adds to the time considerably. I do RTK and Genki back to back when I get home, but I usually review with Anki later on in the night.

So, about 3 hours everyday. I'd like to get it to maybe an hour or an hour and a half. I'm pretty good at sticking to things like these once I establish them, so I feel like I'm a little lazy for shortening my study time, but it'll probably be beneficial overall. I'm also not sure why I have the feeling of getting things done quickly when there is no rush. I know that I should take my time and not worry about that, but I still kind of do.

Does anybody have any suggestions at all? I'm open to rearranging things and maybe even cutting things. It'd just be nice to wake up in the morning and play some Dark Souls or something, rather than starting to study and getting done hours later.

Mandoric

Banned
Does anybody have any suggestions at all? I'm open to rearranging things and maybe even cutting things. It'd just be nice to wake up in the morning and play some Dark Souls or something, rather than starting to study and getting done hours later.

Import Japanese Dark Souls?

Ledsen

A bit late here, but gosh, I'm not sure how some of you guys can read kanji with such a small font. You were pretty close there, at least. I can't even begin to guess!

Well, I have been thinking about my studying schedule and I sort of want to change it up. With doing Japanese stuff and homework everyday, I am not getting enough time to do other stuff. I love learning Japanese, but I still want to have time for other things. Here's my everyday schedule.

The time this takes varies. Some days when I have other things to get to, it takes 30 minutes. Other days, like on weekends, it can take more than an hour (mostly due to procrastination). It does seem kind of long for learning 5 new kanji, I know, and I'm constantly trying to figure out how to make it quicker. I definitely feel like this does help me, and I do enjoy it overall, but it can be a bit of a bore sometimes. If I keep going by this schedule of 5 a day, I think I will be done around August, if I'm remembering correctly. I'm pretty sure I started it last year at the end of August, so I kind of feel like there's a bit of a rush to get this done, even though it really doesn't matter how long it takes.

- Genki ~1 hour
This is my favorite part of studying. I love actually using the language and learning vocabulary and grammar. I allot an hour a day to doing this, but sometimes it's a little less and sometimes it's a little more. Again, though, for some reason I have the idea of doing a lesson a week in my head, and I feel like I'm going too slow if I go past a week.

- Anki (RTK) ~1 hour
My least favorite. I dread it most of the time and it's pretty boring. I feel it helps out with doing RTK though, so I do it anyway. The hour or so it takes also encompasses the time it takes to go over the ones I missed. Also, I do hand write every kanji while reviewing, which probably adds to the time considerably. I do RTK and Genki back to back when I get home, but I usually review with Anki later on in the night.

So, about 3 hours everyday. I'd like to get it to maybe an hour or an hour and a half. I'm pretty good at sticking to things like these once I establish them, so I feel like I'm a little lazy for shortening my study time, but it'll probably be beneficial overall. I'm also not sure why I have the feeling of getting things done quickly when there is no rush. I know that I should take my time and not worry about that, but I still kind of do.

Instead of just studying all the time, you should do stuff you enjoy, but in japanese. Cramming books and flash cards is a good way to burn yourself out. From your post, it seems you already know this since you enjoy Genki the most. Play games, watch TV shows and read books, but do it in japanese.

Cranzor

Import Japanese Dark Souls?

That's a good idea, but I don't think I'm at a level where I'd be able to understand something like that, especially because the game doesn't lend itself to pausing and looking things up. Thanks anyway though. I'll keep it in mind when I'm a little more advanced!

Instead of just studying all the time, you should do stuff you enjoy, but in japanese. Cramming books and flash cards is a good way to burn yourself out. From your post, it seems you already know this since you enjoy Genki the most. Play games, watch TV shows and read books, but do it in japanese.

Unfortunately, like I said above, I don't think I'm at a point where I can enjoy most Japanese content. I was thinking of getting a relatively basic manga (like Yotsuba&!) and going through it with a dictionary, though, and that's probably doable. But when you say that I should do things like that instead of studying, do you mean I should cut things out that I'm currently doing, or enjoy Japanese content in addition to what currently I'm doing?

re:GAF
style5iuiv.png

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
That's a good idea, but I don't think I'm at a level where I'd be able to understand something like that, especially because the game doesn't lend itself to pausing and looking things up. Thanks anyway though. I'll keep it in mind when I'm a little more advanced!

Unfortunately, like I said above, I don't think I'm at a point where I can enjoy most Japanese content. I was thinking of getting a relatively basic manga (like Yotsuba&!) and going through it with a dictionary, though, and that's probably doable. But when you say that I should do things like that instead of studying, do you mean I should cut things out that I'm currently doing, or enjoy Japanese content in addition to what currently I'm doing?

What they mean is, if you're not having fun studying the way you are now because you're sacrificing other hobbies, why not incorporate Japanese into your current hobbies. I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree.

On one hand, immersing yourself in anything and everything in Japanese will undoubtedly help you - if you actually stay disciplined and stick to it. On the other hand, you already pointed out having a dictionary in hand and basically translating some piece of content almost word by word. Does that sound enjoyable? Pausing a show or constantly looking up from your book to look something up? To a certain extent it's necessary, but it can actually make you hate your hobby even more.

I do recommend doing some sort of study that's outside of textbooks and flashcards. Try getting into content that isn't inherently games/anime/manga. I know, the justification is it's more "kids stuff" and so should be easier, but that really only applies to the written form, and barely at that. Exposing yourself to more "normal" stuff will give you a better basis for your actual communication skills. Unless your only goal is to consume the media you like, in which case ignore the above advice.

On a funny note, Dark Souls is actually the game my Japanese friends would text me for help with. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a study tool lol. If you ever want a J-copy though, I have it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just to chime in, video games--more specifically RPGs--were a huge help for me when I was first learning Japanese. I went through a bunch of SNES, PS1 and PS2 RPGs back in 2002 and 2003 (and beyond) with a dictionary in hand and dramatically improved my Japanese vocabulary for it. Sure, it was a pretty slow process at first, but it's also a great way to feel your skills improve as you begin to recognize more and more and don't need to rely on a dictionary as much.

Necrovex

This page is amazing. I just finished Japanese II for the semester, so I need to find a way to continue my studying without a sensei. Cranzor, I'm going to steal your method of studying, and possibly follow Zefah's suggestion.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just to clarify, it was an electronic dictionary that I used. It would have been hell looking up all of those Kanji with a paper dictionary.

Then again, these days people have tablets and such where you can just draw the Kanji. I imagine that would speed up the process quite a bit.

Torraz

- Genki ~1 hour

- Anki (RTK) ~1 hour

Look at anki / kanji as pokemon. Gotta catch/learn em all (at least the important ones ;)).

Also, with regard to anki, try doing it on a mobile device to fill gaps. For example when you're on public transporation, when you're waiting for someone or when you simply have 5 minutes of nothing. You end up being a lot more productive and anki is really fun in short bursts.

Not sure how 5 new kanji takes you an hour though. It sounds to me like it might be a good idea to look for better mnemonic stories // radical meanings.

If you like genki take a look at humanjapanese. It's a very fun pc program / ipad/iphone/android app.

Just to clarify, it was an electronic dictionary that I used. It would have been hell looking up all of those Kanji with a paper dictionary.

Then again, these days people have tablets and such where you can just draw the Kanji. I imagine that would speed up the process quite a bit.

That's what I am doing right now. Finding (3)DS games with furigana helps, too.

Sqorgar

Banned
It should not be taking an hour to learn 5 kanji using RtK. If 5 a day is a pace you are comfortable with, that's fine, but spending an hour to learn what should only take about 5 minutes is a monumental waste of time and effort. How are you doing RtK? Are you familiar with the Reviewing the Kanji website?

Mandoric

Banned

You want to do it at a point when you're not quite ready. If you're ready to do it in action, it won't teach you as much.

No pausing to look things up is exactly what makes it so good. Having to do that with Sakura Wars games was really helpful for me.

Cranzor

Gosh, so many responses! I appreciate it everyone.

Also, I apologize for the length of this post!

re:GAF
http://www.abload.de/img/style5iuiv.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I never knew about this. I installed it and it's beautiful. Thanks!
[quote="worldrevolution, post: 56132064"]What they mean is, if you're not having fun studying the way you are now because you're sacrificing other hobbies, why not incorporate Japanese into your current hobbies. I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree.

On one hand, immersing yourself in anything and everything in Japanese will undoubtedly help you - if you actually stay disciplined and stick to it. On the other hand, you already pointed out having a dictionary in hand and basically translating some piece of content almost word by word. Does that sound enjoyable? Pausing a show or constantly looking up from your book to look something up? To a certain extent it's necessary, but it can actually make you hate your hobby even more.

I do recommend doing some sort of study that's outside of textbooks and flashcards. Try getting into content that isn't inherently games/anime/manga. I know, the justification is it's more "kids stuff" and so should be easier, but that really only applies to the written form, and barely at that. Exposing yourself to more "normal" stuff will give you a better basis for your actual communication skills. Unless your only goal is to consume the media you like, in which case ignore the above advice.

On a funny note, Dark Souls is actually the game my Japanese friends would text me for help with. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a study tool lol. If you ever want a J-copy though, I have it.[/QUOTE]

If I were to do the manga translation thing, I would probably think of it as studying rather than as a recreational thing. Well, I mean, studying is recreational, I suppose, but you know what I mean. That separation hopefully would lead to me not hating it. But yeah, you're right, that certainly doesn't sound like much fun. Maybe I should just hold off on manga until I can actually just read it with SOME proficiency. Some difficulty is fine, but not being able to read well over the majority would probably be a pain.

As far as other content goes, I've been checking in on [URL="http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/"]this wonderful website[/URL] every once in a while to see if I can read any of it. Most of the time, that's a no, but there are bits and pieces I can understand. I think I will use it more in the future when I'm more advanced.

And regarding Dark Souls, it's intimidating enough in English! I can't imagine playing it in Japanese anytime soon, but I'll keep it in consideration down the line.
[quote="Zefah, post: 56133008"]Just to chime in, video games--more specifically RPGs--were a huge help for me when I was first learning Japanese. I went through a bunch of SNES, PS1 and PS2 RPGs back in 2002 and 2003 (and beyond) with a dictionary in hand and dramatically improved my Japanese vocabulary for it. Sure, it was a pretty slow process at first, but it's also a great way to feel your skills improve as you begin to recognize more and more and don't need to rely on a dictionary as much.[/QUOTE]

I have been thinking of importing Pokemon Black 2 and trying to play through that. I hear they're relatively easy, but still, at my level I'm not quite sure what that means.
[quote="Necrovex, post: 56134552"]This page is amazing. I just finished Japanese II for the semester, so I need to find a way to continue my studying without a sensei. Cranzor, I'm going to steal your method of studying, and possibly follow Zefah's suggestion.[/QUOTE]

Awesome! It has worked well for me, hopefully you like it. And hopefully you're a bit faster than me, as I'm apparently a lot slower than I thought, haha.
[quote="Torraz, post: 56136168"]Look at anki / kanji as pokemon. Gotta catch/learn em all (at least the important ones ;)).

Also, with regard to anki, try doing it on a mobile device to fill gaps. For example when you're on public transporation, when you're waiting for someone or when you simply have 5 minutes of nothing. You end up being a lot more productive and anki is really fun in short bursts.

Not sure how 5 new kanji takes you an hour though. It sounds to me like it might be a good idea to look for better mnemonic stories // radical meanings.

If you like genki take a look at humanjapanese. It's a very fun pc program / ipad/iphone/android app.[/QUOTE]

I ride the bus for maybe about an hour total everyday, and reviewing with Anki during that time is something I've considered. The only problem is that I hand write kanji when I'm reviewing, and that wouldn't be very practical on the bus. Maybe I should just ditch that if it's really worth it. Or I could just save 10 or so kanji for when I get home so I can at least get some hand writing in.

Regarding the length of time it takes to learn kanji, I thought of that as more of an average because I take longer on the weekends than I do on the weekdays typically. Still, on the weekdays, it's a solid 40 minutes or so usually. Besides sometimes taking a little more time than I should to get the kanji looking right after writing it, I feel like my time is (usually) used pretty efficiently, so I don't know why it takes so long. But I'll work on making it shorter.

And I'll look into Human Japanese!

[quote="Sqorgar, post: 56137464"]It should not be taking an hour to learn 5 kanji using RtK. If 5 a day is a pace you are comfortable with, that's fine, but spending an hour to learn what should only take about 5 minutes is a monumental waste of time and effort. How are you doing RtK? Are you familiar with the Reviewing the Kanji website?[/QUOTE]

Yep, I use Reviewing the Kanji. I must just be really slow. I actually went (what I thought was) pretty fast today and got done in about 25 minutes. I have no clue how it can be done in 5 minutes, but I'm always open to suggestions.
[quote="Mandoric, post: 56164764"]You want to do it at a point when you're not quite ready. If you're ready to do it in action, it won't teach you as much.

No pausing to look things up is exactly what makes it so good. Having to do that with Sakura Wars games was really helpful for me.[/QUOTE]

I feel like that probably could be helpful, but it's pretty intimidating for someone who has trouble reading pretty basic stuff. Ah well, hopefully I'll be tackling seemingly insurmountable things like Dark Souls in the future.

Mandoric

Banned
I feel like that probably could be helpful, but it's pretty intimidating for someone who has trouble reading pretty basic stuff. Ah well, hopefully I'll be tackling seemingly insurmountable things like Dark Souls in the future.

You could also try an F2P game. I'm sure there are plenty that don't require much player-to-player interaction, and most are built to be addictive in the short term.

Ledsen

The MOST important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing. Forget about the schedule, forget about what you think you "should" do, and do stuff that you feels helps you out and takes an appropriate amount of time. I'd say you can reduce your time spent and still feel proud of what you're achieving. Hell, I would be super impressed by someone who could do even 1 hour/day, let alone 3! You don't have to be meticulous about every last detail. For example, writing is cool and very good, but you don't have to be a calligraphy master since you probably won't be doing much handwriting even if you were to move to Japan. If you're on the bus, just sketch the kanji with your finger in your palm or something. Do some immersion stuff, like put on podcasts in the background while you're playing Dark Souls. Find ways to combine studying with other stuff. Have fun with it :)

Torraz

I have been thinking of importing Pokemon Black 2 and trying to play through that. I hear they're relatively easy, but still, at my level I'm not quite sure what that means.

I ride the bus for maybe about an hour total everyday, and reviewing with Anki during that time is something I've considered. The only problem is that I hand write kanji when I'm reviewing, and that wouldn't be very practical on the bus.

Regarding pokemon, make sure it's not one of those dsi enhanced games. I read that the japanese version is region locked, but not the western ones. Of course the region lock would only pertain to nintendo consoles starting with the dsi.

I don't know what kind of handheld device you use, but for android you have the free app "KanjiDraw". As the name impies it allows you to easily draw the kanji and then put it into your clipboard.

What I do is to proceed with my anki and whenever I reach a question where I would manually write the kanji on a piece of paper I write it in kanji draw (and optionally copy/paste it into anki).

I'm sure such apps would exist for iOS as well.

Yep, I use Reviewing the Kanji. I must just be really slow. I actually went (what I thought was) pretty fast today and got done in about 25 minutes. I have no clue how it can be done in 5 minutes, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Explain what you are doing for it to take 5-12 minutes per kanji. Is there a certain routine? Like I already said, try finding some better mnemonic stories than the vanilla Heisig ones. THe Remembering the kanji site offers some very good ones in the study/comments section.

Fugu

I've encountered the sentence 雷はヘソを取る。I know what all of these words mean, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what this sentence is telling me. Can someone explain this to me?

Sqorgar

Banned
I use the Remembering the Kanji app for the iPhone. It has the ability to create custom lists and to review them keyword->kanji with a nice little space to practice writing them (it also covers the new kanji/numbering in the 6th edition). I'll grab the next 15 or so kanji and put them into a temporary study list. Grab the book and head to Reviewing the Kanji website. Go through each kanji, trying to remember a story for each one. Then I do a flashcard review of the keyword->kanji in random order from the app. Then repeat with the next batch of 15 or so kanji until I've done my 50 for the day. Then I'll do a quick review of the entire 50 in random order. Takes less than an hour total. Then I do another review once or twice later in the day - it doesn't help to cram all at once. It's better to spread your reviews throughout the day initially.

I only did it during week days, so I learned about 250 a week. Every two weeks, I'd take a week off to review everything I'd done so far, reviewing about 250 kanji a day. Any kanji I missed, I'd add to a list and study that again later in the day. This method doesn't scale great, so by the time I was looking at 1,500 kanji, the reviewing was a serious drag. Then I moved over to Anki, where I review kanji->keyword, while still maintaining the same approach I did for learning new kanji. I'm at 2000 now, with only 200 to go.

My one tip is when you are reviewing keyword to kanji, when you miss one, think about what the first thing that came to your mind was when you saw the keyword. You might have a story for "pledge" that involves Lemon-scented Pledge, but upon seeing the word, the first thing you think of is the Pledge of Allegiance. Change your story to fit in with that instead because if you never wander upon the trigger that makes you remember the story, it doesn't matter how vivid or interesting your story is.

Fugu

Very helpful guys, thanks.

Edit: The context for those curious, from Azumanga Daioh:
大阪:そーそー雷ってへそ取るやん?あれってどーゆーこと?へそ取ったらそこはどーなるん?穴あくん?ツルツルになるん?ツルツルはまだしも穴なんかあいたらえらい事やで!死んでまうで!

Cranzor

Hopefully no one loathes me for my long posts, but I like to reply to everyone so bear with me here!

You could also try an F2P game. I'm sure there are plenty that don't require much player-to-player interaction, and most are built to be addictive in the short term.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea. It'd be cool if I could see people chatting and stuff.

The MOST important thing is that you enjoy what you're doing. Forget about the schedule, forget about what you think you "should" do, and do stuff that you feels helps you out and takes an appropriate amount of time. I'd say you can reduce your time spent and still feel proud of what you're achieving. Hell, I would be super impressed by someone who could do even 1 hour/day, let alone 3! You don't have to be meticulous about every last detail. For example, writing is cool and very good, but you don't have to be a calligraphy master since you probably won't be doing much handwriting even if you were to move to Japan. If you're on the bus, just sketch the kanji with your finger in your palm or something. Do some immersion stuff, like put on podcasts in the background while you're playing Dark Souls. Find ways to combine studying with other stuff. Have fun with it :)

I've started using my marker board rather than paper and pencil for reviewing and it has gone way faster. There's a certain permanence associated with writing in a notebook with a pencil that makes me hate messing up when I write in it, so I often erase kanji and fix them/rewrite them. With the marker board, it really doesn't matter since I just easily erase it when I'm done. ...Hopefully that makes sense!

I think my problem was not really that I do too much, but that I went too slow. It seems like I'm using my time better now and not taking nearly as long.

And listening to podcasts is a good idea! I've done it before, but haven't very recently. When I did I hardly picked up anything, but hopefully I'll pick up a little more this time around.

Read eroge instead. Best study tool there is when coupled with ITH (Interactive Text Hooker).

Although I'm sure it's effective, I don't really have much interest in that. :(

Regarding pokemon, make sure it's not one of those dsi enhanced games. I read that the japanese version is region locked, but not the western ones. Of course the region lock would only pertain to nintendo consoles starting with the dsi.

I don't know what kind of handheld device you use, but for android you have the free app "KanjiDraw". As the name impies it allows you to easily draw the kanji and then put it into your clipboard.

What I do is to proceed with my anki and whenever I reach a question where I would manually write the kanji on a piece of paper I write it in kanji draw (and optionally copy/paste it into anki).

I'm sure such apps would exist for iOS as well.

Explain what you are doing for it to take 5-12 minutes per kanji. Is there a certain routine? Like I already said, try finding some better mnemonic stories than the vanilla Heisig ones. THe Remembering the kanji site offers some very good ones in the study/comments section.

I have the original DS, and will probably buy a Lite if I start playing games for it again. So not a problem for me, fortunately!

If I start reviewing at a place other than my computer, maybe I'll look into an app like that. Seems like it would be useful.

My routine was to read the story, repeat it in my head while visualizing some sort of mental picture (maybe a few times), write the kanji, and then repeat it in my head with the same mental picture (again, maybe a few times). Writing is especially a pain later on in the book, since the hand-written version of the kanji doesn't appear anymore. So I have to go to the index in the back to see how it looks, or use Denshi Jisho, or a combination of the two. But recently I haven't been doing the part where I repeat the story afterward and it seems to be going a lot faster. All the other steps are the same though, besides me doing a quick run-through of all of them at the end, reciting the stories really quickly.

I use the Remembering the Kanji app for the iPhone. It has the ability to create custom lists and to review them keyword->kanji with a nice little space to practice writing them (it also covers the new kanji/numbering in the 6th edition). I'll grab the next 15 or so kanji and put them into a temporary study list. Grab the book and head to Reviewing the Kanji website. Go through each kanji, trying to remember a story for each one. Then I do a flashcard review of the keyword->kanji in random order from the app. Then repeat with the next batch of 15 or so kanji until I've done my 50 for the day. Then I'll do a quick review of the entire 50 in random order. Takes less than an hour total. Then I do another review once or twice later in the day - it doesn't help to cram all at once. It's better to spread your reviews throughout the day initially.

I only did it during week days, so I learned about 250 a week. Every two weeks, I'd take a week off to review everything I'd done so far, reviewing about 250 kanji a day. Any kanji I missed, I'd add to a list and study that again later in the day. This method doesn't scale great, so by the time I was looking at 1,500 kanji, the reviewing was a serious drag. Then I moved over to Anki, where I review kanji->keyword, while still maintaining the same approach I did for learning new kanji. I'm at 2000 now, with only 200 to go.

My one tip is when you are reviewing keyword to kanji, when you miss one, think about what the first thing that came to your mind was when you saw the keyword. You might have a story for "pledge" that involves Lemon-scented Pledge, but upon seeing the word, the first thing you think of is the Pledge of Allegiance. Change your story to fit in with that instead because if you never wander upon the trigger that makes you remember the story, it doesn't matter how vivid or interesting your story is.

Maybe I'll look into that app, sounds cool. And wow, 50 a day? I can't even imagine! Thanks for the helpful post.

I am confused on a section in my work book. It wants us to use "たら" for the verb given in the parentheses. I am not so sure how to conjugate for A-たら、B-ます。

Example:

1) あの女の人 ____________ , 日本語をしっているかもしれません。 (だ)

2) 古いコンピュータ _____________ , だれも買わないでしょう。 (だ)

3)子どもの時、もっと _____________ , よかったんですか。 (まじめだ)

I am confused on a section in my work book. It wants us to use "たら" for the verb given in the parentheses. I am not so sure how to conjugate for A-たら、B-ます。

Example:

1) あの女の人 ____________ , 日本語をしっているかもしれません。 (だ)

2) 古いコンピュータ _____________ , だれも買わないでしょう。 (だ)

3)子どもの時、もっと _____________ , よかったんですか。 (まじめだ)

http://web.ydu.edu.tw/~uchiyama/conv/k9_1.htm You want 「でしたら」.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
It's tellin you after each sentence it wants da's form - dattara. The last one is just adjective, majime, and then da again. It's not one word. Deshitara would just be the formal version.

I'm an expert

Deshitara? I don't think I've ever heard deshitara. It's always plain form in class: dattara.

You mean you always hear dattara or you're saying deshitara isn't used at all? As always, it'll depend on the situation and context you're in, in this case one where keigo is required. Off the top of my head, we use it a lot in meeting type situations, as sort of a transitional phrase.. "Has everyone here seen the projections?" "If so (deshitara), we can move on to.."

I am having trouble with a sentence for my last sakubun ( my teacher is sneaky and assigned another one last minute for the final)

---
たくさんの暇ではありませんのに、まだたくさんの趣味があります。

I am trying to say: " Even though I have very little free time, I still have many hobbies."

alekth

I am having trouble with a sentence for my last sakubun ( my teacher is sneaky and assigned another one last minute for the final)

---
たくさんの暇ではありませんのに、まだたくさんの趣味があります。

I am trying to say: " Even though I have very little free time, I still have many hobbies."

Not sure if 暇 is used with たくさん, possible, but I haven't encountered it.
Using masu form with のに and ので is possible, but extremely formal. In a regular (even neutrally polite) conversation, they are used with the dictionary form.
まだ as a direct translation of still, outside of its timeline meaning, is also something I haven't seen around, but のに pretty much already carries the entire meaning anyway.

暇があまりないのに、趣味がたくさんあります。is how I would write it.

Not sure if 暇 is used with たくさん, possible, but I haven't encountered it.
Using masu form with のに and ので is possible, but extremely formal. In a regular (even neutrally polite) conversation, they are used with the dictionary form.
まだ as a direct translation of still is also something I haven't seen around, but のに pretty much already carries the entire meaning anyway.

暇があまりないのに、趣味がたくさんあります。is how I would write it.

Yea I had no idea how to write it, but i took a shot . Thanks a ton for the help!

Rael

Banned
Are any of youse into Japanese TV for study? I mean aside from anime and dramas. i.e. owarai and variety shows.

I'm currently super addicted to London Hearts.

Classic ロンハー awesomeness:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2paMJUEbc

i'm gonna have to start from the beginning, but quick q: what's a good jap-eng dictionary app for iphone?

I really like jisho.org for quick basic definitions in english. They appear to have an iPhone optimized page you can check out:

http://iphone.jisho.org/

Superflat

This is my third attempt at learning Japanese.

The first was maybe a year and a half ago. I was using textfugu alongside flashcards of common words and individual kanji/radicals, each with their different readings and definitions. I eventually burned out because I felt like I was learning separate aspects of the language and they weren't overlapping.

Later that year I decided I would start not with grammar, but by focusing purely on vocabulary. Since iKnow has a "core" list of thousands of the most commonly used words, I decided to focus solely on that. After studying for a little bit every morning for maybe a month and a half, I learned how to read and write 250-300 words by rote memorization, but for some reason or another I just stopped. Then it was an entire of year of not touching those flashcards again.

Then 2013 rolled around and I decided I'd take another crack at it, and looked for another angle to approach Japanese.

My friend was also studying Japanese at the time and recommended Remembering the Kanji in conjunction with Reviewing the Kanji. I was always a little weary of Heisig's method since detractors would describe it as "Spending a ton of time and effort learning 2000+ characters without learning any real Japanese", and it felt like a huge commitment for what seemed like peanuts. But since my friend recently finished that program and explained to me how it has been helping him a great deal, I figured I should give it a chance.

I started on May 3rd, and as of right now I'm at #475 out of the book. I blazed through the first 300, but at this point I'm starting to feel the weight of having a substantial number of kanji under my belt under a short amount of time, and trying my best to remember them all. New problems started arising, like mixing up similar key words and at some points just drawing complete blanks. But that's why I think Reviewing the Kanji is brilliant because it takes care of everything for you as far as srs, decks, reviews, and tracking progress needs, allowing me to just focus on studying my ass off, as well as teaching myself that failing is not a bad thing.

So thanks to that, I feel more determined than ever to keep going. By the end of my second week I should have covered the first quarter of the book, and I'm aiming to complete RTK book one by my second month. After that I plan to start chipping away at iKnow's core words again (while still reviewing RTK of course). I've heard mixed things about going headfirst into RTK book two so that's not in my future just yet, if at all.

Are any of youse into Japanese TV for study? I mean aside from anime and dramas. i.e. owarai and variety shows.

I love watching variety shows. Combining all my residual knowledge of Japanese from the past few years I find myself able to understand around 25% or less of what's said. I've been liking food shows as well as idol variety, since they're usually easier to understand. Overall I think it's good practice; there's constantly text on screen for you to read and people speaking in Japanese fairly normally, if not a bit excitedly.

I also started listening to Japanese radio shows and podcasts, and they're really good for training your ears to pick up on stuff you've learned as well.

I don't know if they're good as studying material, but I find them great for affirming and cementing what you know. But I guess I have learned a decent amount just from looking up certain words that frequently appear in shows.

Adamm

I started on May 3rd, and as of right now I'm at #475 out of the book. I blazed through the first 300, but at this point I'm starting to feel the weight of having a substantial number of kanji under my belt under a short amount of time, and trying my best to remember them all. New problems started arising, like mixing up similar key words and at some points just drawing complete blanks. But that's why I think Reviewing the Kanji is brilliant because it takes care of everything for you as far as srs, decks, reviews, and tracking progress needs, allowing me to just focus on studying my ass off, as well as teaching myself that failing is not a bad thing.

So thanks to that, I feel more determined than ever to keep going. By the end of my second week I should have covered the first quarter of the book, and I'm aiming to complete RTK book one by my second month. After that I plan to start chipping away at iKnow's core words again (while still reviewing RTK of course). I've heard mixed things about going headfirst into RTK book two so that's not in my future just yet, if at all.

I don't want to put a dampener on your studying, but that seems ridiculously fast to be moving through that book. 475 Kanji in 12 days? 40ish Kanji a day?
I have never put much effort into using RTK, so I probably cant make any real judgement - but most people here seem to be doing 10-20 a day at most. I'm also aware that after the first 300ish it gets much harder, so be careful about trying to keep up the same pace the whole time.

If you can keep it up and remember them all then good for you, I wish i could that learn that fast!
I'm just worried you are trying to rush through it for no good reason & may end up getting to the end and have a hard time remembering most of them. Especially as you said you have tried to learn Japanese twice before & got burnt out - the way you are going you will probably get burnt out again.

But good luck, hope you stick with it this time :)

Superflat

I don't want to put a dampener on your studying, but that seems ridiculously fast to be moving through that book. 475 Kanji in 12 days? 40ish Kanji a day?
I have never put much effort into using RTK, so I probably cant make any real judgement - but most people here seem to be doing 10-20 a day at most. I'm also aware that after the first 300ish it gets much harder, so be careful about trying to keep up the same pace the whole time.

If you can keep it up and remember them all then good for you, I wish i could that learn that fast!
I'm just worried you are trying to rush through it for no good reason & may end up getting to the end and have a hard time remembering most of them. Especially as you said you have tried to learn Japanese twice before & got burnt out - the way you are going you will probably get burnt out again.

But good luck, hope you stick with it this time :)

Thanks! And yea, I totally get what you mean.

The way the whole mnemonic system works though, I'm generally finding it much easier to memorize than my previous methods. My initial goal was 20 a day but I was just finding myself able to go up to 40 without feeling really strained.

Since I'm having more trouble now though (most of them being with the more recent cards), I'm definitely taking it a bit slower and being more methodical. I think trying to keep up the same pace for the past couple lessons caused me to be sloppier.

Fugu

How do people deal with learning kanji that are increasingly irrelevant? I'm studying some that I've never seen before, and they're hard to remember because... I've never seen them. I mean, there were a few in the kyouiku kanji that were rare (芽) but some of these are just downright obscure.

The first was maybe a year and a half ago. I was using textfugu alongside flashcards of common words and individual kanji/radicals, each with their different readings and definitions. I eventually burned out because I felt like I was learning separate aspects of the language and they weren't overlapping.
Tee-hee

Hi guys!!

I have been studying kanji for some weeks and I have a test on Saturday mostly of numeral kanjis.

Is there any web or tip that you could give me to practice them (I can´t remember them!!!)

Except for 1-2-3 and 10.

Thanks in advance guys!

Rael

Banned
How do people deal with learning kanji that are increasingly irrelevant? I'm studying some that I've never seen before, and they're hard to remember because... I've never seen them. I mean, there were a few in the kyouiku kanji that were rare (芽) but some of these are just downright obscure.

Tee-hee

If you're at a level where your comprehension is still basic I would suggest you avoid going out of your way to learn non-jouyou kanji that you haven't seen in the wild. If you see it in a book or on TV, sure implement it into whatever study method you're using, but don't go too hardcore on lists of information like that. Especially if you're starting to find the content irrelevant.

Although the kanji in your example is a jouyou kanji so I think you're just getting burnt out on learning BS. Skip it. You won't die. Its obviously not pertinent information. It'll eventually come up when you're reading something if it's one of these sacred "everyday use" characters.

Cranzor

I've got a few questions if anyone could help me out.

1. Erika is very good at making friends.

I wrote...

えりかさんは友達を作るのが上手です。

Where exactly would I fit とても into this sentence?

2. トムさんはゲームをしに来ますか。どうしてですか。

What's going on in the first sentence? Why is します cut off short? I learned a grammar concept that was similar to this, I think, but it included using a location with に as well.

Also, I don't really even understand what's being asked. Maybe something like...

Is Tom coming in order to play games? Why?

3. Anybody have any advice for listening practice? Genki is getting hard to understand, mostly because of the speed. Sometimes, even if I listen to a segment over and over, I still can't understand it. I've tried listening to podcasts but I can't understand pretty much anything so it doesn't help me out much.

Desmond

I can only answer 2 kind of. You basically have it :) にThere signifies purpose. You remove the ます and add, in this case 来ます。 it means to "come and play". I've learned it with 行く also, so "to go and ..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom