• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Salsa

Conciliator said:
I am having framrate troubles though. Anyone find anything about this? My computer is pretty speedy. I can run Borderlands on max pleasantly, so there's something weird going on here. It's kind of flash games, where you have to set the detail on 'mid' or 'low', and it makes it look scratchy, and it runs like crap anyway. Was this made in Flash? does that even matter?

For now it seems to be random. I have 0 framerate drops but some people are having them and in the MANvsGAME stream they are getting them. Try playing windowed?

They talked about how the slowdown actually made the game easier, so those of you playing with framerate drops are playing on easy and it doesnt count because i say so.

Smash88 said:
Just won the Soundtrack for The Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy. I loved the music from Super Meat Boy! So winning this was awesome!

Thank you so much Danny, you rock and so does your music. Keep up the great work.

If anyone is wondering, someone is playing it, and he has the guys who worked on the soundtrack for this game and SMB.

http://www.twitch.tv/manvsgame

And Danny's website where he made all the great music, this guy should definitely be supported!

http://dbsoundworks.bandcamp.com/

Man. I don't know if I can think of a job I would rather do than make music for indie video games.

mrgone

SalsaShark said:
Alright, finished a controller support alternative:

ijnoND0VJtqrF.png

Instructions: Just download, unrar the file, run it and stop bitchin!

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?ha16igqh9y6b8zg

This is pretty much what I settled on after fiddling with Joy2key for a while. After playing with the analog sticks mapped to movement and shooting exclusively, it turns out that Isaac is no exception to the "mapping digital axes to analog axes is a shitty thing" rule in my brain. You're missing the "Q" items like pills and cards in the diagram, though! I used the triggers for bomb and item, and bumper for Q (Axis 3, I think)

I wonder if being a flash app is the reason that there's no proper pad support? VVVVVV didn't have it either

Salsa

mrgone said:
This is pretty much what I settled on after fiddling with Joy2key for a while. After playing with the analog sticks mapped to movement and shooting exclusively, it turns out that Isaac is no exception to the "mapping digital axes to analog axes is a shitty thing" rule in my brain. You're missing the "Q" items like pills and cards in the diagram, though! I used the triggers for bomb and item, and bumper for Q (Axis 3, I think)

I wonder if being a flash app is the reason that there's no proper pad support? VVVVVV didn't have it either

that's an old quote! check the OP, mapped Q items to the back button

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm not getting lucky enough with the right items to finish the game, always get right near the last boss. I can say one thing, Unicorn Horn is amazing against bosses. My favorite powerup so far.

wutwutwut

xelios said:
I'm not getting lucky enough with the right items to finish the game, always get right near the last boss. I can say one thing, Unicorn Horn is amazing against bosses. My favorite powerup so far.
I got it once -- what does it do? Does it give you invincibility for a few seconds but doesn't let you shoot, or is it something more?

God this game is so fucking addictive. I haven't beaten it yet, but the randomness of it all makes the game not feel too repetitive. I love never knowing what's around the next corner. Adds so much tension to the game.

Salsa

wutwutwut said:
I got it once -- what does it do? Does it give you invincibility for a few seconds but doesn't let you shoot, or is it something more?

Its the "Mario Star" of the game

xelios

It does major damage to bosses when you touch them while it's active.

No steam overlay/screenshot support :(

Died on level 4 I think my first time playing, Anarchist's Cookbook is pretty fun. Also made a pact with satan or something? I dunno.

Jasoco

Banned
Wow. I just got all the way to Caves 2. (Level 4 I believe?) This game is awesome. The controls are weird at first. I wish I had a USB 360 controller. I might invest in one just for all the cool Indie games I like to buy. Especially SMB and BOA and VVVVVV.

It's weird because it's so early, there's no FAQ's yet to figure out all the items. I found two pills, and I still don't know what either did. Both were in the same room. I could only pick up one and forgot to go back for the second.

xelios

wutwutwut said:
OK, that's wonderful. I still think the
shovel
is the best item though!

Yeah I just found that and it's pretty handy.

Flynn

Jasoco said:
It's weird because it's so early, there's no FAQ's yet to figure out all the items. I found two pills, and I still don't know what either did. Both were in the same room. I could only pick up one and forgot to go back for the second.

Among dyed in the wool rogue-like players many will say that looking at a FAQ is playing with "spoilers" -- you're supposed to go in blind. And in a game like Nethack the scrolls and potions are randomized, so from game to game they'll do something different. You need to use an identify scroll to find out what they do. It is a pretty cool way to play.

Flynn

Jasoco said:
What's an Identify Scroll? Where do I get one of those??

I'm not sure if there are any in this game. Was taking about Nethack. Though I wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of item that let you know what the pills do.

xelios

If this is spoilerish I'll remove but I think it's more a tip than anything, since bombs can be scarce. From my experience secret rooms are adjacent to 3 or 4 rooms. So you bomb with that in mind. Has worked for me and saved me a lot of bombs. Example :

qF7dU.jpg

Red would be the potential secret room because it's adjacent to >2 rooms, paths would be possible bomb points to get in. I think there is only one secret room per floor. I've found the secret room on every floor with this method.

Jasoco

Banned
Actually, I think the secret room on the level where I died is the room in which I died. And I only found it because of an item I used that dropped bombs.

Salsa

-Mikey- said:
Did it work Salsa?

Nope :( but it did for other people

btw, updated blog post about the launch

-We are aware of a few bugs (wall bug, secret room bug, alt tab bug, etc) and are compiling an update for this weekend that should fix them.

-The Mac version of the game IS saving your achievements, but not rewarding them yet. Tommy is currently working on an app to fix this this week.. so dont worry mac people, all your achievements are there in your save and will be unlocked on steam once we patch the game!

-Anyone still not getting achievements on Pc after they have updated, delete your local content and redownload the game, it will fix any issues.

and this is interesting:

Well as i mentioned in my previous post, there has been a lot of talk about a Halloween patch next month if the game was received well, this is obviously the case. So on oct.31st be ready for a very dark and jam packed FREE update to isaac, that will add a lot more to the game...

I really want to like the game, but the framerate drops are killing it for me.

Also,
I pressed Z at one point and it instantly warped me to a room with a ton of pills and a guy with a sign that says "I Am Error". Who's a what now?

mrgone

I'm guessing this is one of the first things you guys tried when you weren't getting achievements, but did you restart Steam? I wasn't getting any achievements after a couple hours of play either, but ended up getting everything in a lump after shutting down and restarting the Steam client and reloading the game. Before that I'd restarted the game a couple of times, verified cache, everything short of redownloading.

In a related note, I've also found that you can't cheese the no-damage achievements with the shovel :(

Salsa

mrgone said:
I'm guessing this is one of the first things you guys tried when you weren't getting achievements, but did you restart Steam? I wasn't getting any achievements after a couple hours of play either, but ended up getting everything in a lump after shutting down and restarting the Steam client and reloading the game. Before that I'd restarted the game a couple of times, verified cache, everything short of redownloading.

yup tried all that and no dice.

This is the latest:

ivFP1Yc6aMPlG.PNG

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sweet! Looks and sounds awesome and 4.49 euros is definitely priceworthy. Luckily I got my internet back yesterday after being without for 'bout a month.

wutwutwut

Just beat Mom the first time with what was in the end an absurdly OP Maggie, fuck yeah. I had a ridiculous amount of stuff left in the end. 50 coins, 20 bombs, 95 keys.

Salsa

Welp, seems like a double clicked the "flash_achievements" file in the game's folder (considering i was having trouble with the cheevos i wanted to know what that was), and apparently it erased my save file and all my progress..

great.

edit: at least i think it was that, i could have sworn that i played against after i did that just fine

Salsa

RoaringHawk said:
Achievements worked out of the box, but now I have no music.

Got into the arcade room!

Check the options, music turns itself off on some occasions (like going into fullscreen), check if its not off.

wilflare

Easy_D said:
Sweet! Looks and sounds awesome and 4.49 euros is definitely priceworthy. Luckily I got my internet back yesterday after being without for 'bout a month.

if you would like to get it for 4.49USD instead, just add me on Steam -same name-

SalsaShark said:
Check the options, music turns itself off on some occasions (like going into fullscreen), check if its not off.

D'oh

The fact that you can't access the options from the main menu didn't help though. I thought it had none :p

Salsa

Well i figured maybe now that i erased my save file by mistake my achievements would work.

So: erased save file, reinstalled the game, restarted Steam, killed mom, got about other 4 in-game achievements on my way through: still no steam cheevos

blergh

jgminto

Awesome game. I am digging the art style. I am not having the cheeve problems other are but it does seem to crash after a while. Probably something to do with the computer but I was on Cave level 2 with Xray specs, 8 or so hearts and a shit tonne of buffs and left for a few minutes and lost the progress. Oh well.

This might end up being my GOTY. So, so good. Fantastic feel and sense of discovery, great art and music. Pretty much the perfect halfway point between Robotron and roguelikes.

This release seems to be death by a thousand papercuts.

No gamepad support for a game that SHOULD have it.
Crappy resolution/fullscreen support (apparently).
Saves will be deleted if you do any sort of regular PC maintenance (CCleaner, etc.).
Achievements seems to be randomly broken for some.
No Steam overlay, which means no screenshots (there's always CTRL+PrtScn, I guess).
Framerate drops for some.
Crashing for some.

I suppose most, if not all of those, are tied to the game being in Flash.

Also, I didn't realize that this was a twin-stick shooter (essentially), I don't know if I knew about that before or not, but it really killed the hype I had for this concept as it just seems like an extremely lazy, uninteresting way to handle combat in this type of game.

jgminto

PixyJunket said:
Also, I didn't realize that this was a twin-stick shooter (essentially), I don't know if I knew about that before or not, but it really killed the hype I had for this concept as it just seems like an extremely lazy, uninteresting way to handle combat in this type of game.
I actually feel the "twin stick" part is well done. The way the shots move differently if your moving or not is really nice.

Anyway I am really digging this game even with its flaws. Can you guys recommend me some other roguelikes? Nothing to archaic and punishing. I know of Dungeons of Dredmor, any others?

jgminto said:
Anyway I am really digging this game even with its flaws. Can you guys recommend me some other roguelikes? Nothing to archaic and punishing. I know of Dungeons of Dredmor, any others?

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup (free for PC) is a good one to check out--it's designed to be accessible to new players, although that doesn't mean it's not hard, haha. Shiren the Wanderer for DS is also a ton of fun, and would definitely be easier to get into since you can stockpile items and other advantages between playthroughs. (The DS also has the Izuna series, but I haven't played either of those games.)

Rlan

PixyJunket said:
This release seems to be death by a thousand papercuts.

No gamepad support for a game that SHOULD have it.
Crappy resolution/fullscreen support (apparently).
Saves will be deleted if you do any sort of regular PC maintenance (CCleaner, etc.).
Achievements seems to be randomly broken for some.
No Steam overlay, which means no screenshots (there's always CTRL+PrtScn, I guess).
Framerate drops for some.
Crashing for some.

I suppose most, if not all of those, are tied to the game being in Flash.

Sometimes the Xbox Live Arcade's draconian testing policies can be a good thing :p

I love Super Meat Boy, but don't think I'll be purchasing this one. Not a fan of the art or story. Meat Boy was a bit creepy, but was still light hearted. This kind of looks like what happened when John Kricfalusi was given complete reign of Ren & Stimpy :/

Top Bottom