• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

Poyunch

ymVn5.png

haha

This game is a steal at $5. My only complaint is that you can't naturally use a gamepad to play. (I am using the JoyToKey config that is in the op and that works great). Graphics are beautiful, Music is amazing and (with the gamepad) the controls are pretty tight.

Therion

I hope one of the fixes in the patch saves the quality setting. I always forget that I need to reset it until I get mobbed and the game starts crawling.

Also, I'd really like those achievements.

Fixed1979

I'll probably be grabbing this regardless of the answer but I'm wondering if enemies drop any items or if it's all from chest. Also how long is a single play through?

Fixed1979 said:
I'll probably be grabbing this regardless of the answer but I'm wondering if enemies drop any items or if it's all from chest. Also how long is a single play through?

Some "special" colored enemies drop stuff like (soul) hearts, bombs and money. Don't think that upgrade/usable items get dropped, though.

Jasoco

Banned
There are items that appear in the room when you defeat all enemies. The map will always show you if a room still contains an item or chest.

jgminto

It sucks this game isn't getting as much coverage as SMB did. Also quick question from a Steam noob, how do I access the soundtrack I got with the game?

Jasoco

Banned
It'll be in your Steam Common folder. Are you on OS X or Windows?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31354240&postcount=155

Im_Special

Flunkie said:
So has anyone confirmed that using CCleaner in a normal way wipes your save? That's pretty fucking scary.

Yes, and a lot more then CCleaner can wipe it as well. It's a Flash game (UGH) same as what VVVVV was, and with no cloud saving you gotta make sure nothing will clear your adobe flash stuff, like Better Privacy add-on, CCleaner, etc.

I really hope they code it into C++, storing things in Flash is a game breaker for me.

Jasoco

Banned
VVVVVV was reprogrammed to no longer be in Flash. I hope this game gets treatment like that too. I mean, is SMB Flash?

Im_Special

Jasoco said:
VVVVVV was reprogrammed to no longer be in Flash. I hope this game gets treatment like that too. I mean, is SMB Flash?

Yeah I know about VVVVV that's why I said was, and no SMB isn't flash, it was on 360 remember.

mrgone

They're using the flash cache for progress saves? Really? Reallly? Disappoint.

I've put like 5 hours into this awesome little game. I don't want to lose my preciouses.

mrgone said:

I've put like 5 hours into this awesome little game. I don't want to lose my preciouses.
well the game was made with newgrounds.com so i guess they did most of the work lol.

Eusis

mrgone said:

I was fearing that. Well, at least it's a game you start over anyway, but the unlockables potentially being lost would really suck.

Therion

Took a gamble and it turns out that it's totally worth trading all your hearts and armor for a pair of wings. Best powerup I've come across.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I got to Mom with 4 hearts but I didn't make it. :( Seemed more difficult than people made it out to be.

Volcynika

Finally beat it the first time. Almost died, but pulled a death card and did a lot of damage to mom. Woo...one time beaten! :p

Had a triple shot and the little brother thing.

Joe Molotov

xelios said:
I got to Mom with 4 hearts but I didn't make it. :( Seemed more difficult than people made it out to be.

It depends on what you have when you get there. I had 7 hearts + 3 temporary hearts and a Full Heal pill when I got to Mom the first time, and it was really easy. :p

this game is so damn good and addicting too!

i've only played a few times and still haven't beaten it but i'm having a ton of fun. at one point my isaac seemed like he was built to win and then i picked up that cats head not knowing what it was. i had so many items, lots of money, i could fly, full damage, and that cats head ruined it. oh well i think i unlocked cain when i kept gambling and won big lol.

Jasoco

Banned
Okay, I really hope an update that fixes achievements is up soon.

Also, anyone else notice that Steam doesn't count play time correctly for this game? At least on OS X? The reason is when you launch the game in Steam, it launches an app called "binding_of_isaac" which launches a separate application called "Isaac", which contains the game, and displays a splash screen while it loads. Which usually takes about a minute. So Steam is only counting the amount of time the "binding_of_isaac" process is running. But not when the actual game is running. Smooth move, Valve. Not that it's directly their fault. They probably didn't take into account some games might need to launch separate processes.

Anyway, Achievements, please. Thanks.

Joe Molotov

Jasoco said:
Okay, I really hope an update that fixes achievements is up soon.

Also, anyone else notice that Steam doesn't count play time correctly for this game? At least on OS X? The reason is when you launch the game in Steam, it launches an app called "binding_of_isaac" which launches a separate application called "Isaac", which contains the game, and displays a splash screen while it loads. Which usually takes about a minute. So Steam is only counting the amount of time the "binding_of_isaac" process is running. But not when the actual game is running. Smooth move, Valve. Not that it's directly their fault. They probably didn't take into account some games might need to launch separate processes.

Anyway, Achievements, please. Thanks.

It's tracking time just for me.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I just died to Mom when she had one hit left. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

BigAT

I got my first completion last night. There's definitely a huge difference in the difficulty based on what your drops are. I had a good run and my character was unstoppable by the end, it was my first time facing Mom and she was pretty easy, but I can definitely see her being hard with a lesser combination of items. I think the best item I've gotten in the game so far is
Charm of the Vampire. With health at such a premium, being able to life leech is such a powerful ability.

It felt odd to be playing through the game and pickup
Shoop da Whoop, considering how super banned it is around these parts.

wutwutwut

SalsaShark said:
aaghhh the fucking wombbb

that's where the game really starts
I got to the womb for the first time. Died in the second room. :(

Monstro II is the worst boss ever. Fucking tank + dishes out a lot of hard-to-avoid damage.

Anyone know how to delete saves. I deleted local content, then reinstalled but the save is still there. I want to delete it all and start from scratch to see if achievements will work.

backlot

tjohn86 said:
Am I doing it wrong by completely exploring every level?

Fuck this game is hard.
I think exploring every level is probably a good thing to do so that you don't miss any upgrades. I think a lot of the difficulty just comes down to how lucky you get with what you are able to find.

wutwutwut

GAH, FUCK MONSTRO II. Ruined my playthrough with 4 health + maxed out damage + two familiars. That boss seriously needs a nerf.

Finally beat it last night. The combo of chocolate milk, vampire, x ray vision and a bunch of damage buffs made it a breeze. Still addicted to it though, pretty cool that new bosses unlock. Haven't seen the chapter 4 stuff yet either. I'm guessing thats the womb stuff you guys are talking about?

BigAT

I was just ripping my way through The Womb for the first time with an absolutely stacked character, when I alt tabbed to check something out and...the game just automatically closed up on me while I was looking at my desktop. I also had unlocked Cain as well as a couple of other achievements, all GONE.

Fucking brutal.

Jasoco

Banned
So, what's the secret to the iron bar doors? Sometimes they're opened, sometimes they refuse to. Once I started in a room with four doors and all were open including the iron doors, but I didn't have a key to the chest in the room so when I left and found a key, by the time I got back, the bars were down again. Is there a secret to these doors? I even tried coming back after defeating the boss.

wutwutwut

Jasoco said:
So, what's the secret to the iron bar doors? Sometimes they're opened, sometimes they refuse to. Once I started in a room with four doors and all were open including the iron doors, but I didn't have a key to the chest in the room so when I left and found a key, by the time I got back, the bars were down again. Is there a secret to these doors? I even tried coming back after defeating the boss.
You need to be "doing well" to have them open. Empirically, I've found that having full health is necessary but not sufficient.

sixclaws

Banned
I picked up an item that gave me laser eyes, I was doing so well until I got cocky and went up against a boss that was a large lump of flesh and shot a ton of bullets at me. The game is so fun, but doing well really depends on what items you pick up in the beginning.

Ionic

My friend and I have been playing this together and were wondering what happens if you use the shovel during the Mom fight. We did not expect what happened! This game is just so great.

Yeah just spent my cheap cider money on this so it's a sober weekend for me. This was so worth it though, absolutely loving it so far. Great music and atmosphere, and the actual playing is fun to boot. Found some cool items, died, played some more...good bye evening.

tm24

OK, what does it mean when it says <X> has appeared in the basement? Does that mean there's a secret room or something? I also just realized blue rocks and rocks near holes do things. Awesome!

tm24 said:
OK, what does it mean when it says <X> has appeared in the basement? Does that mean there's a secret room or something? I also just realized blue rocks and rocks near holes do things. Awesome!

It can be gotten as an upgrade.

BigAT

tm24 said:
That's for when you get an achievement, there is no steam overlay recognition of them. It also means that <X> is now in the item pool and will randomly appear in dungeons from now on. It does not mean that it is currently in the dungeon you're on and you should go search it out, which was how I interpreted it at first.

tm24

Ahh, thanks. I realized the achievement part but thought there was something more to them. the upgrade part makes sense.

Just beat the womb on my first attempt. I ended up with 3 shields (2 flies and the upgraded meat cube) which meant just about nothing could hit me, and the rest of my pick-ups powered up my tears. I didn't unlock any other chapter on completion though, and my achievements didn't come up :(

Lord Phol

Crazy how addicting this game is even though it's so simple.
Have to agree on the loot being the big difficulty-factor and the vomb being faceslapping hard.
Melted through mom like butter in one playthorugh and then proceeded to getting raped on the next level D:.

Top Bottom