• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac |OT| thread brought to you by Edmund McMillen

I don't know why, but a week ago I had zero interest in this game and right now I really want it!

Do you guys know if it will be sold through GMG? I've never bought anything there yet, but I keep hearing good things about them.

So I am on a floor with lots of items on islands (cant reach them because they are surrounded by holes). Is there anyway to get them or am I missing an item that allows me to jump?

Also, my achievements still don't work :(

PixyJunket said:
Also, I didn't realize that this was a twin-stick shooter (essentially), I don't know if I knew about that before or not, but it really killed the hype I had for this concept as it just seems like an extremely lazy, uninteresting way to handle combat in this type of game.

Yup, so lazy and uninteresting, there are far too many Robotron inspired roguelikes out there. Despite the issues I've had (resolution is annoying and a few frame-rate hitches) the game's been really fun so far and that's all that matters to me. I'd take a game with a buggy as hell launch like The Binding or Dark Souls over another perfectly polished Battlefield/Modern Warfare.

tjohn86

arts&crafts said:
So I am on a floor with lots of items on islands (cant reach them because they are surrounded by holes). Is there anyway to get them or am I missing an item that allows me to jump?

Also, my achievements still don't work :(

There is a ladder item that will let you across.

Kyuur

Bought this game yesterday, loving it so far. :] Not having any problems with it so far. Don't understand why you guys are so anal about gamepad suppot in a game like this... it suits keyboard/mouse far more in my opinion. -shrug-

Therion

Spirit of Jazz said:
Also there's a magnet that you stick on your head with will pull all items towards you.
This item is awesome until something drops five troll bombs in the room with you.

Spirit of Jazz said:
Also there's a magnet that you stick on your head with will pull all items towards you.

If there is rock next to a chasm, you can also place a bomb on the direct opposite side of the rock which will push it over and form a bridge

To explain my problem many pages ago:

1. Picked up an item that teleported me to a room with a new item (1-up)
2. Left through the exit into an existing room
3. Full of monsters, died
4. The nature of 1-ups is that it puts you in the previous room.
5. Since it's a special room, the exit was temporary. No exit now.
6. No exit, no choice. Walk into torch
7. Game over (B6, sigh...)

Joe Molotov

Bah, achievements are still glitched. A few popped after I closed out the game and then restarted it, but a few didn't. I'm still missing 3.

wutwutwut

arts&crafts said:
Multiple ways to get across.

1. Use a ladder.
2. Gain the ability to fly.
3. If there's a rock nearby, bomb it from the other side so that the debris fills up the hole. I realized I could do this much later.

Noogy

jgminto said:
Can you guys recommend me some other roguelikes? Nothing to archaic and punishing. I know of Dungeons of Dredmor, any others?

My favorite console roguelike would be Epic Dungeon (rebranded as Cursed Loot) on XBIG. Best dollar you could possibly spend. Very accessable roguelike with some great humor. I'm always bugging the dev to release it on WP7 or PC.

Flynn

Crazymoogle said:
To explain my problem many pages ago:

1. Picked up an item that teleported me to a room with a new item (1-up)
2. Left through the exit into an existing room
3. Full of monsters, died
4. The nature of 1-ups is that it puts you in the previous room.
5. Since it's a special room, the exit was temporary. No exit now.
6. No exit, no choice. Walk into torch
7. Game over (B6, sigh...)

You died a good death. It is not uncommon for a rogue-like to put you in an unwinnable situation.

First time I played this walked into the room with Satan in it. Not knowing what this was I walked over the two items he was selling and activated them only to look up and realize I was down to 1 heart with 9 lives. Next boss was the guy who pisses all over himself and throws his eye balls. Didn't go so well.

I love the creepy atmosphere, surprised how much simple drawings can convey.

Orayn

Flynn said:
You died a good death. It is not uncommon for a rogue-like to put you in an unwinnable situation.
Ideally, that's something to design against, but it still happens sometimes.

Wallach

Flynn said:

I find that well-made roguelikes avoid this pretty well most of the time. The situation described in what you quoted is actually pretty retarded.

you think reinstalling it on steam will make the achievements work? I have 2 hours no achievements. I got the little "secrets" like radioactive spider, just not in steam achievements.

Awesome game, been lucky enough to not have any problems with it. 30 attempts and still haven't beaten it yet, whenever I manage to get past gurdy I get destroyed on the next floor. Think my mistake is always trying to check out every room on that floor, the enemies really don't mess about there.

God damn... Envy, one of the mini-bosses, damn near killed me. Took him out with half a heart left, and the stupid troll-faced boss dropped an already lit bomb as a reward, which then took my life.

I love this game.

brian

This game isn't really that hard once you learn what all the enemies and bosses do, and a few small tricks to maximize the items/gold you get. I just beat it for the 3rd time, and I only had between 1-3 max hearts the entire game. It's hard because there is not much room for error, but once you get a couple decent powerups, the combat itself isn't too difficult. The last boss is a joke.

Great game, though. I will continue to play while there's still stuff to unlock.

Salsa

PixyJunket said:
This release seems to be death by a thousand papercuts.

No gamepad support for a game that SHOULD have it.
Crappy resolution/fullscreen support (apparently).
Saves will be deleted if you do any sort of regular PC maintenance (CCleaner, etc.).
Achievements seems to be randomly broken for some.
No Steam overlay, which means no screenshots (there's always CTRL+PrtScn, I guess).
Framerate drops for some.
Crashing for some.

Its the second big game made by just 2 guys in a couple months. You would expect issues like this near release (wich has been said will be fixed), what you wouldnt expect is a game this good and a free patch coming by the end of October that will add about 50 percent more content. All of this for $5.

Im not saying the launch isnt rough, im saying that the quality of the product makes the minor issues almost irrelevant at this point (and this coming from the guy who has the achievements bug). I get that you didnt liked it though, but its not by any way "lazy".

Futureman

I have a Mac. Is it possible to use my 360 controller with this? Or is there some special cable I need to buy? I have the Play And Charge kit thing.

edit: oh wait... I have the battery charging station, not the Play and Charge...

Is there anyway to use my 360 controller wirelessly with my Mac?

Red

krpiper said:
How many levels are they? or rather how long does a playthrough take
Depends on how long it takes you to actually reach the end. Each death means you restart from scratch. It's not very long though, I'd say a complete playthrough would take <1 hour if you do well.

I haven't put much time into it though so can't say for sure. But it's not a game you only play once.

Futureman: yes, but you'll need to buy a wireless receiver.

Orayn

6 levels, 45 minutes at most.
Futureman said:
I have a Mac. Is it possible to use my 360 controller with this? Or is there some special cable I need to buy? I have the Play And Charge kit thing.

edit: oh wait... I have the battery charging station, not the Play and Charge...

Is there anyway to use my 360 controller wirelessly with my Mac?
Play and charge only provides power, not data. You'll either need a different controller or a 360 USB receiver.

Cranzor

Got to the second to last boss and I ended up glitching through a wall and the game crashed. So close too...

Just bought this game. I'll be playing it as soon as my Demon's Souls time allows. :p

But what's the consensus on this, is it as good as Super Meat Boy relatively speaking?

Jasoco

Banned
It's completely different. It's more of a Zelda style Rogue-like, whereas Meat Boy was a love letter to every platformer from the golden age of 8 and 16-bit gaming.

And it's different every time, so you will never play the same game twice, nor will you have he same item combination.

brian

I had high hopes for this, as Super Meat Boy was my favorite game from last year, and I'm not disappointed at all. You can't really compare the two directly, but I have no problem saying that they are both similarly very high quality games for their respective genres.

Togglesworlh said:
I really want to like the game, but the framerate drops are killing it for me.

Also,
I pressed Z at one point and it instantly warped me to a room with a ton of pills and a guy with a sign that says "I Am Error". Who's a what now? How did I get here?!
Anyone? How did I get to this place? D:

Also to be completely honest, as much as I love Super Meat Boy (and I love it a lot), I find myself wanting more from The Binding of Isaac. I love roguelikes, and I really love roguelikes combined with other genres (see: Spelunky!), and I don't dislike this one, BUT

BUT

The basic gameplay is lacking something. I want more control over my attacks. Dropping bombs is fine, but why can't I throw them? It's a Zelda-style dungeon, give me more weapons! Something to replace my tears. Maybe not a sword, as the enemies are too much designed for the twin-stick shooter setup, but different kinds of ranged attacks. I know you can upgrade tears, but it's not quite what I want.

Although to be fair, I've only played twice and didn't beat it either time. I definitely intend to keep playing until then, at least. Whether or not I play it as much as Spelunky remains to be seen.

But, as I said earlier, I think that the framerate is what's hurting it the most for me.

Eusis

PounchEnvy said:
Downloading now. So do I need a mouse for this? I'm playing this on my lappy.
Not only do you not need a mouse, it might actually be sub-optimal to use it. You primarily used WASD and the arrow keys, though the mouse can take the place of the arrow keys.

Stitch

Gold Member
holy crap, this thing is in flash so software like ccleaner could actually delete your savegame :O

Poyunch

Eusis said:
Not only do you not need a mouse, it might actually be sub-optimal to use it. You primarily used WASD and the arrow keys, though the mouse can take the place of the arrow keys.
Nice.

Joe Molotov said:
You used a scroll.
With the Z key?

I suppose I accidentally pressed Q, but I remember specifically pressing Z. (I was trying to see if there was a jump button because I hadn't yet figured out how to cross pits.)

Top Bottom