• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

Huh, I thought Brimstone cancelled out everything? I just picked up Tech 1 while playing as Azazel and ended up with a medium-speed but strong tech laser. What was very weird was that I picked up a Tears Up pill, the only tears up item I found, and it instantly made the laser rmega-fast but retained the damage, so I basically had a Tech 2 with Brimstone damage.

Found all the guppy pieces in the same run so that was good times.
Not everything, there's still a few overrides (Mom's Knife seems to as well), and Tech is affected by tears stat which is pretty awesome (more ticks per second on Tech vs just lower recharge time on brim). I hope plat god makes another interaction table because the new wiki is spotty at best.

Haunted

Hey, what's that webpage which looks at your steam isaac achievements and puts, in graphical form, all the missing achievements and associated unlocks/conditions for you?

I used to have it but lost it :(
That exists! Would be an invaluable tool.

Is there an item or something that makes your tears disappear, except for the shadows? Or is it a bug? It's happened a couple times, I haven't really worked it out.

Also, is there a point to the donation machine once you get to 999 coins? I was surprised to see it reappear with a count of 0, after exploding IIRC.
Once you get the item unlock for 999 coins, it's "done". After that you can freely withdraw money with bombs from it.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Finally got super meat boy which was the last thing in my way for real platinum god.

Playing as isaac my first item was the wafer. I then picked up the habit in a shop and used it to charge the d6 for re-rolls to get the sharp plug. With the wafer, sharp plug only damages you half a heart.

Then I got to the chest with a Jera rune to double the chests to 8, and started rolling. Picked up Dr Fetus + Pyromaniac for infinite health and then finally the monster manual. I then spent a while rolling monster manual in a room to get super meat boy/bandage girl.

It took a long time but at least that was less frustrating than just hoping the horsemen drop the right thing.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wooooow the secret character is just so not fun.

I honestly have no idea what the fuck they were thinking.

Chronoja

Huh, I thought Brimstone cancelled out everything? I just picked up Tech 1 while playing as Azazel and ended up with a medium-speed but strong tech laser. What was very weird was that I picked up a Tears Up pill, the only tears up item I found, and it instantly made the laser rmega-fast but retained the damage, so I basically had a Tech 2 with Brimstone damage.

Found all the guppy pieces in the same run so that was good times.

Azazel doesn't start with the actual brimstone hence why his attack can get overwritten by a few things.

SerTapTap

999 coins is going to kill me. Keeps jamming before 10. I have no idea how I got to 550 coins before this

Azazel doesn't start with the actual brimstone hence why his attack can get overwritten by a few things.

It acts mostly like brimstone though, most things that affect Brimstone in X way affect Azazel in the same way, just with shorter range.

aku:jiki

Not everything, there's still a few overrides (Mom's Knife seems to as well), and Tech is affected by tears stat which is pretty awesome (more ticks per second on Tech vs just lower recharge time on brim). I hope plat god makes another interaction table because the new wiki is spotty at best.
Guys, I have 320 hours across both games, am a real platinum god and just started my quest to fill out all three saves with real plat status; I don't need beginner tips like Tears Up affects Tech, come on now. I'm kinda offended here!

The real point was that a singular tears upgrade more than doubled the Tech rate of fire, and I still can't figure out why it would happen.

SerTapTap

Is there some item/luck stat that makes chests WAY more common? MY first couple runs through the chest I found TONS of chests, like almost every room, and in The Chest those always have pedestal items. Recently I find way less of those. I know The Contract doubles chest drops, as in if you get a chest drop, it spawns 2, but I don't know why I'd see so many less chests recently

SerTapTap

Heyyyy...I had 2.5 black hearts as Azazel, go into Devil Room, 2 3 soul heart items. I got one and only lost 2 hearts, the other was "Free". Does Blue Baby work like that too? I just figured it would either reject you or kill you.

one85x

Heyyyy...I had 2.5 black hearts as Azazel, go into Devil Room, 2 3 soul heart items. I got one and only lost 2 hearts, the other was "Free". Does Blue Baby work like that too? I just figured it would either reject you or kill you.
Well if you only have half of a black heart, all soul heart devil deals are free. You can also take devil deals that would normally kill you if it's an item that gives you health like the Mark or Pact.

Guppy's tail is the answer to your other question btw. It says "Cursed?" when you pick it up because you'll get a lot more chest drops, but likely won't be able to open most of them.

SerTapTap

Oh right, I always get Guppy's Tail but I had forgotten exactly why. And so would that not work if I only had half a SOUL heart?

Eden hates me. Unicorn stump, holy water, 1 in every stat but speed and range. First item room was Chocolate Milk, which at 1 damage is...I just quit.

I've only just become addicted to this game -- today, finally, ended my losing streak, mainly thanks to daddy long legs.

but I wonder what your top 3 worst monsters are?
for me it is (when there are several at once, and pretty much in any room)

1. those guys that throw bones
2. those walking guys that pop open to fire at you, then close again
3. those worms that come out of the ground randomly

most everything else I can deal with reliably, excepting the start of some rooms where four or eight things make a bee-line to you from different directions and there is just NO ESCAPE.

Novocaine

The bone throwing skeletons fucking blow. I hate the faces that pop out in the womb and spit the 3 way shot also, and of course those fucking red spiders.

Cuyejo

I've only just become addicted to this game -- today, finally, ended my losing streak, mainly thanks to daddy long legs.

most everything else I can deal with reliably, excepting the start of some rooms where four or eight things make a bee-line to you from different directions and there is just NO ESCAPE.

Spiders, fucking spiders, the tiny ones specially, their movement is so erratic.

demidar

The bone throwing skeletons fucking blow. I hate the faces that pop out in the womb and spit the 3 way shot also, and of course those fucking red spiders.

The skeletons are super annoying but doable. But those faces are the fucking worst. Sometimes they just pop up right under you and deal unavoidable damage.

Play it safe, stay at a distance and keep moving and they won't hit you.

I got a Vita today, and portable BoI is amazing. I'm going to be doing a lot less reading during my commute until I eventually get sick of this game. Kind of bummed it isn't cross-save, but besides from a long initial load time and some stuttering it plays great.

desverger

Dead Boy get!

That was a hilariously OP run, Brimstone, Tammy's Head, Infestation 2 and Guppy. Spiders and flies everywhere!

On the last boss I just popped the Chariot card and watched my minion army murder it :p

autoduelist

Is there some item/luck stat that makes chests WAY more common? MY first couple runs through the chest I found TONS of chests, like almost every room, and in The Chest those always have pedestal items. Recently I find way less of those. I know The Contract doubles chest drops, as in if you get a chest drop, it spawns 2, but I don't know why I'd see so many less chests recently

I'd like to know this too. I don't think it's Guppy's Tail. I've had a couple runs where I get chests every room, but I'd say most of my runs (and I've beaten chest at least a couple dozen times) I get no chests in any but the starting room. In fact, I just beat it with Samson about 20 minutes ago, no chests.

If you considering save scumming or continuously rerolling until you're blessed by the RNG to be challenging.

Well, I mean, that's the drudgery/unfun part. The challenging part comes once you find a half decent starting item that you might be able to make a run with.

1) Bone throwers suck. Never come at them straight on and beware, because they turn and throw fast.
2) They're the worst, except maybe for a couple of the worst minibosses, like Gates and anything with guided brimstone.

3) Pins/ Mini pins aren't bad at all. While it may seem random, it's not. After a pin goes into the ground, I recommend one of two things:
If you're fast and have a high rate of fire, piercing damage, or high damage, run to the other side of the screen and it should jump directly at you and you'll wreck it.
If you can't kill it fast, just work around the screen by 90 degrees... that is, if you're left, go bottom or top, if you're top go left or right, etc. This should trigger either a very avoidable jump, or his head popping out.
The only time I ever get hit by Pin is if the very first time he comes out of the ground I'm standing there. After that, I just wrangle him and he dies.

Novocaine

The skeletons are super annoying but doable. But those faces are the fucking worst. Sometimes they just pop up right under you and deal unavoidable damage.

I got a Vita today, and portable BoI is amazing. I'm going to be doing a lot less reading during my commute until I eventually get sick of this game. Kind of bummed it isn't cross-save, but besides from a long initial load time and some stuttering it plays great.

Yeah it's all doable, they just suck.

CassSept

Oh goodness, finishing The Lamb on Hard at half a heart left is so intense. My hands are shaking, a room with two Adversaries almost ruined another run, but I managed to smash through the last of the Dark Room and still have a smidgen of health left to tackle The Lamb. Sweeeeet.

SerTapTap

It IS cross save, just manual, unless you mean PC to Playstation. PS4 to Vita works fine.

Novocaine

I have all hard bosses cleared for Azazel and Isaac now. Just beat the Lamb with Brimstone, Baby Brimstone and Guppy. I picked up Anti-grav tears thinking it was Ludovico and instantly regretting not thinking and swearing. Still managed to make it through obliterating everything.

Not the biggest fan of Anti-grav tears though. Also is it just me or is Fetus in a Jar really weak now?

I went looking for mods and there's a few fun ones, I'm gonna try out the Uriel mod and I think I'll just throw in the Inkblot mod (turns Isaac into an old-timey cartoon á la early Disney when you pick up Ball of Tar) permanently, but this really caught my eye:

"Lazarus now starts with the suicide king card. As the only character to have an extra life, now you have to make the choice of whether or not you utilize that extra life to get items and consumables, or you save that life for later. I feel like this makes him more than just Isaac with an extra life and a slick hairdo."

That's an absolutely perfect idea, IMO. Makes Lazarus not completely useless after you unlock the D6.

I'd like to know this too. I don't think it's Guppy's Tail. I've had a couple runs where I get chests every room, but I'd say most of my runs (and I've beaten chest at least a couple dozen times) I get no chests in any but the starting room. In fact, I just beat it with Samson about 20 minutes ago, no chests.
It is Guppy's Tail. It's function is to significantly raise the percentage for chest drops in relation to other drops.

Kid Ska

Just rerolled through the whole pool and no Steven? Can you not reroll into boss items on the chest?

Rumors about this game feel odd to me. What Abaddon does has been known for at least 2 weeks, but people in general still seem convinced that it's this massively huge damage up for no reason. Every time a streamer gets it the chat is just an "OMFG ABADDON kreygasm GG kreygasm" explosion. Not that it matters, really, but it's just strange to see so many people repeat an erroneous rumor instead of just hitting up PlatGod to find the facts.

(It's just a 1.5 damage up. It's in the upper tier since most damage ups are 1.0, but obviously not amazing.)

Just rerolled through the whole pool and no Steven? Can you not reroll into boss items on the chest?
Steven is only in the boss room pool so you would've had to break in a boss room to find it. Regular rooms in the Chest only draw from the item room pool. You won't find stuff like Torn Photo, Cat-o-nine or Magic 8-Ball in those rooms either.

Nibiru

Banned
I don't know if it's just me but the Vita version is so much harder than the pc and ps4 versions. The controls are perfect, I'm more speaking to the drops and mob variation. The Vita version is brutal hard imo.

I got Monstro's Lung for the first time last night, it's really fun. Got a few damage ups and was mopping up bosses.

I've been trying to unlock Cain unsuccessfully for about a week on the PS4 version and just had 3 runs in a row on Vita where I ended up with over 80 coins. Weird.

I don't know if it's just me but the Vita version is so much harder than the pc and ps4 versions. The controls are perfect, I'm more speaking to the drops and mob variation. The Vita version is brutal hard imo.

Think it's just confirmation bias. I've had nothing but awesome runs on Vita so far.

Fee

Just managed to clear the chest without taking damage, RNGesus blessed me that run, i had 4 parts of guppy, brimestone and mitre even before the boss rush room. Also on my way through the womb i picked up tammy's head.I sincerely hope when the PlayStation version is patched I get credit for this trophy and secret unlock.

Kid Ska

Does Dad's Key open the Boss Rush? Northernlion just hinted at that in a video but I don't really believe him.

Laranja

Guys, a couple of trophies didn't unlock for me. I'm missing the one you get when you unlock Magdalene and some other one I can't remember right now.

Is there any way to unlock them, now?

Novocaine

Just your rolls of the dice, it's the exact same game.

Guys, a couple of trophies didn't unlock for me. I'm missing the one you get when you unlock Magdalene and some other one I can't remember right now.

Is there any way to unlock them, now?

On Playstation? Maybe unlocking those secrets on a new save file would do it?

BigAT

Is there a much sorrier group of items to get in The Chest than this foursome?

z3h70zu.jpg

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So I beat
The Lamb
how do i fight
Super Satan
? There seems to be a golden door i cant open

You should've gotten a message by now saying
The Angels Awaken
or something to that effect.

On a run, you'll need to:
Get two Angel Rooms instead of Devil Deals
Bomb the angel statue in the room
Defeat the miniboss and take the key piece they drop

When you make it to that floor again you'll know what you can do.

autoduelist

Cleared all character runs but Eden...

My first run with Eden and I start with the D6... and without even using it get Pyromaniac, tech 2, and Ipecac.

This might end up being my Dead Boy run. Maybe please.

I also have Battery and Habit -- how exactly do I abuse that to get infinite rerolls? I suppose I'd need a source of health with just those two, correct?

autoduelist

How do I consistently get angel doors?

1) Don't take any devil deals -- you can go into a devil room, see the offers, but just leave. I believe you can take black hearts / red chests, just not anything you pay for.

2) raise faith (optional) or get goat's head to ensure devil/angel rooms every level.

sn00zer

Love that Ive pretty much seen everything in the game and still dont get how the doors work
EDIT: Also Demon Baby and Fly Hive 4 life

autoduelist

Love that Ive pretty much seen everything in the game and still dont get how the doors work
EDIT: Also Demon Baby and Fly Hive 4 life

Every level there is a certain chance that you'll get the angel/devil room.

For the First floor and rooms past mom's heart the only way (I think?) is getting a joker card. Goat Head might work, can't remember.

On the rest of the floors (up till Mom's Heart), it's a calculation that depends on a lot of factors. Raising sin/faith helps. Killing a beggar helps (i think it adds 15% chance for the cost of a bomb). Goat's head is one of my favorite early pickups for that reason. Not taking any red heart damage is also a big factor (35% iirc)

Mom's Heart has a room, but it just has an exit to the next level.

Top Bottom