• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

No Love

Banned
Took a break from this for a few days because I got burned out. It sucks when you got further than ever and then you die have to start all over. :\ Even with Azazel it seems like shit takes forever.

Also, if I like this, will I like Rogue Legacy?

SappYoda

I had a decent enough run with
eve
it was
my only character left to beat satan
and I used
the bible against him...

Whyyyy whyyy T_T

aku:jiki

Raising sin/faith helps.
According to a big post about how luck works on Reddit, too lazy to find it now, evil/faith ups don't affect the room type at all. It's just chance for black/soul hearts drops. My anecdotal experience when trying for Godhead agrees, but no one seems to really know for 100% sure yet.

Also, add boss damage to the list. It seems to be a big one in this game, like if you take any type of damage (not just red) on the boss, your chance drops significantly. Additionally, I don't know the exact math, but getting a room on a floor lowers your chances of getting one on the next floor. That's the bit of the equation that fucks you sometimes when you feel like you've met all the requirements and didn't take any damage on the whole floor, yet still don't get the door.

Goat Head might work, can't remember.
Nope.

Took a break from this for a few days because I got burned out. It sucks when you got further than ever and then you die have to start all over. :\ Even with Azazel it seems like shit takes forever.
I'm not sure you actually like the game if you don't like the journey to the end? I mean, that's the game right there! If you don't enjoy starting over and seeing what items you get, and what kind of run it'll be, I don't think this is the game for you...

Also, if I like this, will I like Rogue Legacy?
Rogue Legacy is the least rogue-like rogue-inspired game on Steam, despite the name. It's more like a lightweight Metroidvania with permadeath and persistent unlocks. The point of it is for you to grind up money, die, spend the money expanding your castle and doing it all over again until your character is buffed enough to kill bosses. If you're superhuman you might be able to beat it on your first life but the vast majority of players need to die like 100+ times before they can start to kill bosses and make progress towards the endgame.

saturnine

clearing the chest without getting hit and not having dead boy unlock. lovely. unless holy mantle or chaos card negate the achievement ?

Sec0nd

Wow. I really enjoy this game and have probably played quite a few hours. But just quickly glancing through this thread makes it seem you guys are playing an entirely different game. Fighting
Satan
and what not. I've beaten
Mum's heart
twice now and I've done some challenges but I've barely seen any of the stuff you guys are talking about!

Is there some guide out there that could give me some insight in what's out there and what I should do in this game? I don't care for spoilers.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I beat the chest for the first time ever this weekend, with Magdeline no less. Managed to get charged Polyphemus tears after I'd already had a few damage ups, a bunch of health-ups and the flat tears trinket (not sure whether that helps or not, but still). Pretty pleased with the way that went as at that point I hadn't even beaten Mom's Heart with Magdeline. Now to work on some of the other characters!

Joe Molotov

Wow. I really enjoy this game and have probably played quite a few hours. But just quickly glancing through this thread makes it seem you guys are playing an entirely different game. Fighting
Satan
and what not. I've beaten
Mum's heart
twice now and I've done some challenges but I've barely seen any of the stuff you guys are talking about!

Is there some guide out there that could give me some insight in what's out there and what I should do in this game? I don't care for spoilers.

Just keep beating Mom's Heart. Once you've done it 11 times, more things will open up.

SerTapTap

Yikes that's going to take a while!

If nothing else, play with Azazel, goes by like nothing. I recommend playing with different characters to get their boss kill unlocks though, and if you see a devil/god room door after beating the heart...go in it

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So I beat
The Lamb
how do i fight
Super Satan
? There seems to be a golden door i cant open

You don't.

But you can fight mega satan if you unlock the door! You unlock the door by gathering key pieces 1 and 2. To get a key piece, enter a god room, bomb the angel, then defeat the angel in a mini boss battle, it will drop a key piece. Repeat in another angel room to get the second key piece. Gathering two key pieces in 1 run also unlocks Dad's Key and the Family Man challenge.

Dad's key is a spacebar item which, when used, unlocks all doors in the current room. This includes secret doors/walls, as well. Dad's key can also be used to unlock the door to mega satan.

In other words, to fight mega satan in any given run, you need to unlock the door to his chamber, and that can be done in one of the following two ways:
1. Use dad's key
2. Gather key pieces 1 and 2 by bombing and defeating 2 angels in 2 separate god rooms.

Just beat
Mega Satan
for the first time with
???
. Could not have been a better run. Got
mom's knife, wafer, buddy 2.0, and the bible
Phenomenal run actually.

autoduelist

So I completed all my character runs, and now it's just meat boy, dead boy, and platinum god left.

I have a run going where Isaac has the D6 and Scapular on the first floor... I'm currently on floor 2, though failed to roll the Habit in the store (grrr, had 4 tries due to good drops).

Can someone explain my best strategy going forward? I haven't done this before and I want to make sure i get it right. I think i am aiming for the habit for infinite rerolls, correct? So rerolling stores should be my priority over all else?

Is there anything besides habit that will help me?

According to a big post about how luck works on Reddit, too lazy to find it now, evil/faith ups don't affect the room type at all. It's just chance for black/soul hearts drops. My anecdotal experience when trying for Godhead agrees, but no one seems to really know for 100% sure yet.

Also, add boss damage to the list. It seems to be a big one in this game, like if you take any type of damage (not just red) on the boss, your chance drops significantly. Additionally, I don't know the exact math, but getting a room on a floor lowers your chances of getting one on the next floor. That's the bit of the equation that fucks you sometimes when you feel like you've met all the requirements and didn't take any damage on the whole floor, yet still don't get the door.

No, I didn't mean evil/faith affects -which- room, I meant I think it might affect getting a room at all. But after some research, I don't think it does.

And I'm pretty sure only red heart damage matters.

From the wiki:

Have only one Pentagram: +20%

Have multiple Pentagrams: +30%

Have Book of Revelations: +35%

Have Book of Belial: +25%

Killed 1 or more Beggars in current level: +35%

Took no red heart damage from the boss: +35%

Took no red heart damage in current level or Devil/Angel Room appeared the last time Isaac visited the boss room: +99%

Then multiply by one of these:

Devil/Angel Room last spawned in a level 1 less than your current level (or greater; see below): 0.25

Devil/Angel Room last spawned in a level 2 less than your current level: 0.5

----------------------

So you basically want to get your % up as high as possible per relevant floor before he calculation is run.

The best way to start off is either goat head, or taking no red heart damage on level 2, which guarantees your first devil room.
EDIT - actually, the best way would be joker card on floor 1, then a goat head on floor 2 for rooms the rest of your run. then i guess joker cards past mom's heart.

SerTapTap

I had no idea bombing beggars upped devil room odds. I'll bomb the hell out of all the ones I see that I can't use for items now. I assume that also counts shell game, devil and key beggars? I almost always use normal beggars if I have the money.

autoduelist

I had no idea bombing beggars upped devil room odds. I'll bomb the hell out of all the ones I see that I can't use for items now. I assume that also counts shell game, devil and key beggars? I almost always use normal beggars if I have the money.

You only need to bomb one per level, but yes, it's worth it.

Assuming I have limited bombs, I personally bomb beggars in secret rooms first. I don't know if the math backs it up, but I always feel like secret rooms have better than average drop rates, especially for powerups.

EDIT -- unless a shell game beggar really pissed me off, in which case i bomb him.

EDIT 2-- still waiting on some D6 advice from the post a few up from this, I'm pausing my run to make sure i do it right.

EDIT 3 -- finally get the scapular / habit combo.... and forget sacrifice spikes do a full heart damage even on early levels. ARGH.

Holy shit, playing as the secret character really highlights all the flaws of this game. How can they expect you to play all the way through without getting hit when there are levels that have spiders or those exploding guys charging at you the instant you walk through the door? Then there are those enemies that teleport right under your feet, making avoiding them almost impossible.

Seems like it's almost entirely down to luck. To pour salt on the wound, his strength is terrible and he isn't fast. So it can be a real grind just to get to the first treasure room.

BouncyFrag

I'm not a big fan of the room that is just a single bridge from the top to the bottom with a handful of those bug bombs flying about. I think I worked out a pattern or maybe it was just luck that got me through earlier this evening.

dLMN8R

Wow, got super fun seed. For best effect, make sure to play as Azazel

(PC) CG8V AV4G

Ludovico technique (with Azazel = awesome)
Easy to get angel rooms
Good familiars
Item that lets me see all secrets found in the boss rush room

Leezard

Holy shit, playing as the secret character really highlights all the flaws of this game. How can they expect you to play all the way through without getting hit when there are levels that have spiders or those exploding guys charging at you the instant you walk through the door? Then there are those enemies that teleport right under your feet, making avoiding them almost impossible.

Seems like it's almost entirely down to luck. To pour salt on the wound, his strength is terrible and he isn't fast. So it can be a real grind just to get to the first treasure room.

There are indeed lots of luck involved. Grinding to get a decent start in the first two floors is kind of necessary. An OP build is just about necessary.

And I'm pretty sure only red heart damage matters.
I guess it's anecdotal evidence but I feel like I can confirm that taking damage of any kind can lose you the devil deal.

I can't think of what else it could be if I'm meeting all other requirements, didn't have one on the last floor, etc. I guess it's never 100% but I see it often enough to make it seem like it matters.

Grinding to get a decent start in the first two floors is kind of necessary.
After a certain point, you even stop bothering with doing that much. I just hold R until the starting room has an item room and said room has something genuinely good in it.

Some people will reroll until they get Holy Mantle but I'm satisfied with any +1.0 damage up. The starting damage really is way too weak compared to how easily you die. (Not that I survive longer than anyone else, probably, but grinding R for one specific item is maddening.)

CassSept

So far I can't even fathom doing Dark Room with the secret character.

Rooms with two Adversaries or two Cages are so cheap, they are way harder than the boss. Especially the former, it can break a decent run in a flash.

Novocaine

You can always bomb your way out of the room.

Either way I'm a little disappointed the secret character exists, it kind of makes the platinum trophy near impossible to get.

Got Guppies tail and the 1+1 free for ever pick up... Level was giving me two locked chests in each room, ended up with 20 locked chests.... and no Keys...

Then I'll do a run and get 30 odd keys and nothing to unlock.. Typical!

Struggling to get defeat satan enough times and Issac to open up the Chest... Get Good... remember original Issac and Wrath of Lamb, always needed a good run to do it...

CassSept

You can always bomb your way out of the room.

Either way I'm a little disappointed the secret character exists, it kind of makes the platinum trophy near impossible to get.

I always forget about bombing your way out because in the original I eventually got to the point where I forewent using the easy way out. Nothing in the original was as insane as two Adversaries though I feel.

Finally beat Demo Man. Got lucky and traded 2 Hearts for Mom's Knife. It was worth it.

I actually felt Demo Man was one of the easier challenges tbh.

SerTapTap

I actually felt Demo Man was one of the easier challenges tbh.

Demo Man is easy at the start but by the end if you don't have damage ups it's insanely annoying to fight any boss. Takes multiple minutes per after a point. I beat it with Mom's Knife. So glad the knife doesn't explode.

CassSept

I usually complain about not having these ridiculous broken runs but daaaamn...

PBM8 N6XK...

Highlights include Guppy, Brimstone, Ludovico, Daddy Longlegs. Tons of other decent items too, gives access to quite a few Devil Room items by sacrificing Dead Cat lives but at some point you get Satanic Bible for a steady stream of Devil Hearts. Requires some questionable risky choices (e.g. Ludovico in the very first item room and Dead Cat as first Guppy item at 6 soul hearts before you get Satanic Bible) but they pay off so well.

Dead Boy achieved at last, with ??? too, just shame that it was at Normal Mode (I decided that after over 50 hours it's time to focus on unlocking D6 and HM was just so annoying me). I simply smashed through the latter half of the game :)

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
14 of 20 challenges done. Man these things are hard. Of the ones I have left Bean seems like the easiest one but everything always goes to hell on mom.

dLMN8R

Ocassionally when I find the super secret room on a floor, it's the weird space-like environment with blue/purple tones and no actual walls, with weird music playing.

When I see that, does it actually mean anything? Anything I should do in those rooms? Or is it just a random skin with particular treasure in it?

SerTapTap

14 of 20 challenges done. Man these things are hard. Of the ones I have left Bean seems like the easiest one but everything always goes to hell on mom.

Poison her foot when possible. Unless you're crazy good don't bother trying to bomb it directly. If you want to bomb I think you need to leave it just outside of her "blast radius" to make it not get kicked away. Leave bombs by the doors. If you have a TON of bombs left, you can just spam them since they'll do minor damage to any parts of Mom in the room when they go off.

If you get Red mom and still have The Bean it's a tedious but very easy fight since she almost never spawns enemies.

Ocassionally when I find the super secret room on a floor, it's the weird space-like environment with blue/purple tones and no actual walls, with weird music playing.

When I see that, does it actually mean anything? Anything I should do in those rooms? Or is it just a random skin with particular treasure in it?

The Super Secret room is usually that room I thought unless it was a special one like
the gross red meat room full of hearts
. That room just has the standard super secret stuff, very often black hearts in my experience, nothing special beyond the items you see. Floor spoiler
that secret room type will be very familiar once you reach a certain floor though

Not to be greedy, but it does kinda suck when you get a crazy-ass run when you don't need it. I was just gonna run Azazel to Isaac real quick to get my last polaroid piece on my new save, and of course I had to find a D6 on the first floor and end up picking up proper Brim, Mark, Pact, Pentagram, all of the Guppy pieces, Growth Hormones, Common Cold, multiple Tears Up pills, more damage ups I'm forgetting and, of course, Tammy's Head. That's my first Tammy+Brim run in like 3 weeks!

I did find Black Lotus though so that's a nice relief.

The Super Secret room is usually that room I thought unless it was a special one like
the gross red meat room full of hearts
. That room just has the standard super secret stuff, very often black hearts in my experience, nothing special beyond the items you see. Floor spoiler
that secret room type will be very familiar once you reach a certain floor though
No, super secret can have any wall skin (except for Caves, I think?). The Dark Room one always has a black heart, the Depths one always has a Fortune Teller and so on.

The best trick with these rooms is to know that heart drops in it are tied to the room type, so Hematemesis in a Cathedral room = 3-5 eternal hearts.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No, super secret can have any wall skin (except for Caves, I think?). The Dark Room one always has a black heart, the Depths one always has a Fortune Teller and so on.

The best trick with these rooms is to know that heart drops in it are tied to the room type, so Hematemesis in a Cathedral room = 3-5 eternal hearts.

Yep, and if you have Dark Bum make sure you run out of the heart room before he drops anything, otherwise he'll exchange two red hearts on the floor for one red heart drop.

Ferrio

Banned
Getting real sick of enemies reappearing underneath me and getting hurt from it. It's bullshit luck-based, not skill.

Not sure how they fucked that up so bad, it didn't happen in Wrath.

I'm going to wager the expansion will address this since people are very very vocal about it.

Some of them aren't so bad, but fuck those red 3-shot ones in The Womb. Seriously, those are such garbage.

Seriously.

Not sure how they fucked that up so bad, it didn't happen in Wrath.

I'm going to wager the expansion will address this since people are very very vocal about it.

Yeah I don't remember it being this bad in the previous game. Glad people are speaking out, and I hope it will change.

SerTapTap

Some of them aren't so bad, but fuck those red 3-shot ones in The Womb. Seriously, those are such garbage.

Lumps. I think they're about the only enemy that's totally impossible to dodge in some circumstances (if you have flying and a space they can't reach, though they can still pop up VERY close and hit you with a shot if you're unlucky). I'm surprised they made it 3 patches without being altered. (almost) Everything else has a tell, no matter how slight, or some way to avoid damage no matter how brief. There's also a couple room layouts with spikes and those Zelda spike-blocks that seem impossible to avoid damage on, or in the case of the spike blocks, RNG based.

Manu

Guys, I just returned to the game after a couple weeks and unlocked It Lives.

A question: how do I get consistently to the Chapel or Sheol? Because so far I've only been able to do it by skipping Womb 2.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guys, I just returned to the game after a couple weeks and unlocked It Lives.

A question: how do I get consistently to the Chapel or Sheol? Because so far I've only been able to do it by skipping Womb 2.

Unlocking It Lives (11 heart kills) also unlocks sheol and the cathedral permanently. Now, any time you beat womb 2, the warps to sheol and the cathedral will both spawn.

BigAT

Lumps. I think they're about the only enemy that's totally impossible to dodge in some circumstances (if you have flying and a space they can't reach, though they can still pop up VERY close and hit you with a shot if you're unlucky). I'm surprised they made it 3 patches without being altered. (almost) Everything else has a tell, no matter how slight, or some way to avoid damage no matter how brief. There's also a couple room layouts with spikes and those Zelda spike-blocks that seem impossible to avoid damage on, or in the case of the spike blocks, RNG based.

That's only half my issue with them, the other being that they stay up so briefly that it's ridiculously hard to actually get shots off on them if you don't have Brimstone.

Top Bottom