• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

That's only half my issue with them, the other being that they stay up so briefly that it's ridiculously hard to actually get shots off on them if you don't have Brimstone.

They usually pop up twice in the same spot, so just fire where they disappeared usually and you can score a hit. Like most burrowers they're also hittable for slightly longer than their sprite is actually on-screen. I don't mind them being slightly hard to hit,being impossible to dodge is nuts though.

hbkdx12

My isaac confession:

I used special seeds on some of the challenges. I feel kind of scummy :(

but for me the worst iasac run is any run that has you left with terrible DPS. Aside from just being boring widdling down a boss for 5+ minutes, the longer an enemy is alive, the more likely you are to take damage.

Can't remember what challenge it was but my DPS was so terrible i was fighting monstro for what felt like forever and i got hit 6 fuckin times. I don't think i've had monstro hit me 6 times in all the isaac i've played since vanilla let alone in one fight

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
They usually pop up twice in the same spot, so just fire where they disappeared usually and you can score a hit. Like most burrowers they're also hittable for slightly longer than their sprite is actually on-screen. I don't mind them being slightly hard to hit,being impossible to dodge is nuts though.

The champions are the worst

aku:jiki

I'm going to wager the expansion will address this since people are very very vocal about it.
Tyrone promised monthly patches leading up to the expansion and he better stick to it. Where's the December patch at, Tyrone?

Since I just had a PhD run, I'm going to bitch about the fact that Paralysis and Wizard are tagged as positive pills. That's just so sloppy and such a 2 second fix, why is it still a thing?

Newt

Tyrone promised monthly patches leading up to the expansion and he better stick to it. Where's the December patch at, Tyrone?

Since I just had a PhD run, I'm going to bitch about the fact that Paralysis and Wizard are tagged as positive pills. That's just so sloppy and such a 2 second fix, why is it still a thing?
Well, they aren't positive pills, they're neutral pills. It's intended.

aku:jiki

Well, they aren't positive pills, they're neutral pills. It's intended.
They're not neutral as they can't have any positive usage whatsoever (unlike Explosive Diarrhea and Hematemesis) and McMillen admitted that it's a mistake in the Northernlion interview.

CassSept

Weird, I considered them neutral too. They don't have any useful application in the game (maybe Wizard in some reeaaally weird circumstance that I'm not aware of) but when used in a cleared room you can just wait it out, unlike Bad Trip or obviously stat down. If Edmund says it's a bug though, sure.

Drencrom

As I miserably failed my first attempt getting The Lost I decided it's probably for the better I read a reddit guide for my second attempt. I followed it very closely and did every step correct and I got nothing after the Azazel step.

Just fucking great...

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
As I miserably failed my first attempt getting The Lost I decided it's probably for the better I read a reddit guide for my second attempt. I followed it very closely and did every step correct and I got nothing after the Azazel step.

Just fucking great...

You must have screwed up somewhere.

The Lost is unlocked by dying consecutively with certain characters, with no other deaths or closing the game in between runs. Deaths MUST be completed in the order shown here, and must be completed back-to-back.

Isaac must die to a Mulliboom in The Basement/The Cellar chapter.
Magdalene must die to her own bomb in The Caves/The Catacombs chapter.
Judas must die to Mom in The Depths/Necropolis chapter. It does not have to be specifically to Mom's foot stomp attack. Dying to the flesh walls/hand grab/blood shot will yield a death screen with the cause of death being depicted as Mom's Foot.
Azazel must die after beating the Fallen in the Satan boss fight in Sheol. Must be killed by Satan and not to any Kamikaze Leech instead. Using a seed for this run will not unlock The Lost.
Dying to Satan via his stomp does unlock The Lost.

Notes
Items like Judas' Shadow, Ankh or Lazarus' Rags will transform Isaac into another character and ruin the run.
Isaac cannot die in other ways between these specific death runs.
The game cannot be won as any character.
Champion versions of monsters and bosses will count for the death criteria.
Runs can be safely reset.
If Isaac dies in the wrong way and the player quickly presses Esc to exit to the main menu or holds R to reset before the death screen comes up, it does not count as a death and the unlock can be continued.

File manipulation
Changing the SteamCloud parameter in the config file ("Documents\My Games\Binding of Isaac Rebirth\options.ini") to 0, one can undo an unsuccessful try. Only remember to save the file's copy in the folder. After dead restore backuped files.

Helpful seeds
Isaac dying to Mullibooms in The Basement/The Cellar chapter.
(PC) XEQH N0EB (The room above, go to curse room on left to weaken)
(PC): Q0MA FJQ9 (Two rooms below the start - Hard difficulty)
(PC): GGJP ZR32 (In the room right from the first room you'll find 3 Mullibooms) [Go down first to get weakened]
(PC + PS4): JTMD EZPF (One is directly below the starting room - Normal difficulty [Go left first to get weakened])
(PS Vita): GQHN NMKN (Go left, 4+ Mullibooms)
Maggy dying to her own bomb in The Caves/The Catacombs chapter.
(PC): LF4S P2ZC (Pyro first item room.)
(PC): 349W VRFT (Pyro first item room.)
(PC): 2VPH DMBS (Dr.Fetus, First Item Room)
(PS4): T473 SG1C (Pyro in Treasure Room on Catacombs 1).
(PS Vita): DXVW MQCF (Pyro in first item room)
Judas dying to Mom
(PC): QY70 GB9W [hard mode only] (XL Cellar with Technology 2 + Ipecac adjacent to starting room. Cellar boss items: Safety Pin + Halo. XL Necropolis)
(PC): YR8E YXDV (First item room Polyphemus - Do not take devil deals, Trinity Shield and Sacred Heart in Angel Rooms. Keep the Book of Belial to ensure they show up.)

dickroach

^for unlocking the Lost, does Azael need to die from a stomp, or can it just be from bullet throwing/brimstoning Satan?

My isaac confession:

I used special seeds on some of the challenges. I feel kind of scummy :(

I used B1ZM 8Z27 for most of the challenges. fuckit.
145/178 achievements unlocked after less than 40 hours. it took me over 200hrs to unlock 73 achievements in WotL -___-

Stoze

TIL you can use seeds to do challenges. Doesn't matter as I only have 1 left: Waka Waka. Don't know why but I absolutely hate that one, and I'm terrible with the Strange Attractor item. The sad part is you only have to go up to Mom for that one too.

^for unlocking the Lost, does Azael need to die from a stomp, or can it just be from bullet throwing/brimstoning Satan?
It can be from the second stage. Just don't die to the Fallen/Bomb Leech.

Also, you have to do all of the steps all in one go. If you close the game, you have to start over with Isaac.

autoduelist

So, quite a few things :

First, I guppied on Level 1 with Isaac. Sacrifice room had a head, I picked it up, dropped it, d6'd, got a collar, picked up d6, and got a battery in another room and got a tail.

I went on to have ridiculous damage output, one hitting every boss, alongside the stopwatch. And then this epic run resulted in me clearing Cathedral and Chest without taking any damage.

AND.... the damn Dead Boy trophy did not pop. I am absolutely sure I took no damage. Almost flung my vita.
I would never fling my precious

---------------------

VITA performance --

This goes out to SirTapTap and someone else that mentioned 'stuttering' and such on their vita that I never see.

Well, I saw it today -- tons of it. BUT... it was while I was downloading stuff. I paused all my downloads and it cleared right up. In addition to stutters, room entry took about twice as long (from fluid to not fluid) and other rough patches. It was very noticeable.

That said, W/o downloading anything, my vita performance continues to be great (except extreme circumstances w/ op builds and/or boss spider pee). Something to check/keep in mind? That's the first game I've seen perf issues in while dl'ing, fwiw. Very odd.

I guess it's anecdotal evidence but I feel like I can confirm that taking damage of any kind can lose you the devil deal.

I can't think of what else it could be if I'm meeting all other requirements, didn't have one on the last floor, etc. I guess it's never 100% but I see it often enough to make it seem like it matters.

Pretty sure it's just red damage from my own studies as well as the wiki. I abuse this on a regular basis when i have ways to generate non-red hearts.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Reached Sheol on the Vita version! Shit's getting rather intense, and I also notice how the Vita struggles when you get super derpy OP builds and drag tons of stuff with you :(

ElTopo

Banned
Any way to fight Lokii? I'm going to make a guess that he's random but I've fought It Lives so many times and have never encountered him. Need him to unlock Challenge 11.

roxya

I decided to try playing as Eden for the first time and ended up with my most powerful build so far. Started with Hive Mind and found Polyphemus in the first item room. Got Sissy Long Legs and the Guppy (with Guppy's Head), so I had an army of huge flies and huge spiders dealing Polyphemus damage. Every boss including ??? was vaporised before I could even move.

I think Guppy in general is a bit too strong.

saturnine

I decided to try playing as Eden for the first time and ended up with my most powerful build so far.

honestly Eden is the most fun character to pick. You don't have to wait 15 minutes to see if your run is going to shit because no useful item drop. It gets interesting from the start.

Eve, Samson and The Lost are sooooo boring. The Lost is really the worst. It's just reset upon reset upon reset until you get something that doesn't suck
and then get killed before even reaching mom
Seems the power ups pool is even worse in hard

ElTopo

Banned
Man, The Cat Got Your Tongue challenge is BS. It's so annoying trying to kill things with whatever the fuck that thing is. I've tried like 10 times in a row to get some sort of weapon or item that would help me in the first level and almost every single time I would get either Cube of Meat, Tear upgrade, or Range Upgrade, and maybe a health upgrade.

Leezard

Man, The Cat Got Your Tongue challenge is BS. It's so annoying trying to kill things with whatever the fuck that thing is. I've tried like 10 times in a row to get some sort of weapon or item that would help me in the first level and almost every single time I would get either Cube of Meat, Tear upgrade, or Range Upgrade, and maybe a health upgrade.
Yeah, definitely. I found blue candle in a shop and used that top finish the run.

SerTapTap

I've heard seeds work for challenges and you get the unlock, but can't confirm. I already did all mine legit. If they do, just use a Bible first floor seed on most of them, unless you go beyond Mom's Heart it's basically an instant-win and I think only like 5 challenges do that tops

hbkdx12

I used B1ZM 8Z27 for most of the challenges. fuckit.
145/178 achievements unlocked after less than 40 hours. it took me over 200hrs to unlock 73 achievements in WotL -___-

What's special about this seed? I been using
C0NF ETT1 which makes it so all the enemies are in a concussive state. Most enemies won't even attack you

But you can do challenges with them and you would still get the unlock at the end of that right? The challenges I have left to do would be a lot easier if I could get the bible in my run.

You still get the unlocks. I can confirm this. I've done a handful of challenges using seeded runs. However, certain parameters of the challenge will override certain perameters of the seed. For example, most if not all the challenges have no item rooms, so if the seed you enter has an item room with an item you want, that item room won't even exist

SerTapTap

Oh right, no item rooms. Should still be able to get a seed with a Library with a bible though. All enemies stunned seems like a solid way to cheat through it too though

Noi

I went on to have ridiculous damage output, one hitting every boss, alongside the stopwatch. And then this epic run resulted in me clearing Cathedral and Chest without taking any damage.

AND.... the damn Dead Boy trophy did not pop. I am absolutely sure I took no damage. Almost flung my vita.
I would never fling my precious

I think that trophy might be bugged. On PS4, I made it to the Dark Room with both an Emperor Card and a Chaos Card, so I just warped to The Lamb and killed it in less than a second. Didn't get the unlock either. :|

Rarity for it is still at 0% too, but I'm sure people could have done it already.

Nice, finally

qgjmEFU.png

no info on what it fixed?

Apparently it's version 1.03, so I'd assume it's everything from PC 1.022 + additional fixes.

Should mainly fix trophies not unlocking, especially Dead Boy and Platinum God/Real Platinum God
Also there still seems to be an issue with infinite loading screens related to savegames which should be fixed then.

SerTapTap

Apparently it's version 1.03, so I'd assume it's everything from PC 1.022 + additional fixes.

Should mainly fix trophies not unlocking, especially Dead Boy and Platinum God/Real Platinum God
Also there still seems to be an issue with infinite loading screens related to savegames which should be fixed then.

Oh PC had achievements broken too? Did they say if it'll be retro active? I figured the trophies thing was unique to PS.

Dead Boy was broken? ...I guess that's why I didn't get it then.

will be interesting to see if they retroactivate the trophies.

As far as i know, no game has ever done that have they?

I have no idea. You'd think it'd be easy to retroactively do it. Several games have designated "trophy check" times so it doesnt' have to be immediate upon meeting the conditions.

I finally beat
Mega Satan
, was disappointed I didn't unlock anything other then an ending and a change on my save file logo. It was so over the top I believed I would have gotten at least something I can use in the next rounds.

Oh PC had achievements broken too? Did they say if it'll be retro active? I figured the trophies thing was unique to PS.

Dead Boy was broken? ...I guess that's why I didn't get it then.

I have no idea. You'd think it'd be easy to retroactively do it. Several games have designated "trophy check" times so it doesnt' have to be immediate upon meeting the conditions.

The achievements were retroactively unlocked in the PC version. It pretty much has the same bugs as the PS4/Vita version, only they were fixed a month ago.

You just had to start a game and die or something and they would unlock. Since they are connected to the in-game challenges (which were also bugged), it shouldn't be hard to make them unlock after the patch. This is only for Dead Boy/Platinum God though, no clue on the other trophies that seem to be glitched on PS4, like killing Mom.

On PC, the game can even read your Steam profile achievements and unlock stuff in the game if you want to.

Noi

Trophy checks for Isaac are a little weird. I didn't get the trophy for beating Mom initially, and never got it in any run after that despite technically filling the condition on every one. I had to go to the second save slot, start a fresh file and beat Mom for the first time /there/ in order to actually get the trophy.

baconcow

There is another boss fight that actually counts for that

Alright, I figured I had more to do, based on what was in the next run. I am finding the game getting a larger variety of bosses and enemies every run. Is this intended (I like it)? Is it based on number of runs (I have around 8-10).

SerTapTap

Trophy checks for Isaac are a little weird. I didn't get the trophy for beating Mom initially, and never got it in any run after that despite technically filling the condition on every one. I had to go to the second save slot, start a fresh file and beat Mom for the first time /there/ in order to actually get the trophy.

Wait for the trophy patch before worrying about it. OFten trophy checks are meant to be one and done so retriggering them can be tricky. If they're really fixed in this patch we'll know what we need to do soon. Making a second save and redoing things is worst case but should work in a pinch.

Alright, I figured I had more to do, based on what was in the next run. I am finding the game getting a larger variety of bosses and enemies every run. Is this intended (I like it)?

Yeah, the game has a very interesting progressive difficulty/complexity set up. As you play things will get harder and more varied in multiple ways. More bosses is just one of the ways. I really like it, basically just when you feel like you beat the final boss there's something else that feels like an even bigger challenge. but it doesn't (usually) overwhelm.

autoduelist

Any way to fight Lokii? I'm going to make a guess that he's random but I've fought It Lives so many times and have never encountered him. Need him to unlock Challenge 11.

He's rare, but you'll get him eventually. And then you'll fight him countless times on later levels.

All I can think of is the rare case of some cross-play games like Sound Shapes that will pop all your trophies on other platforms if you pass over your cross-save file (ie, you plat it on vita, transfer your save to ps3, and watch them all pop... technically 'retroactive' since you're getting pops for stuff you already did).

When trophies were first introduced and being patched into already released games, some companies promised retroactive trophies, but I don't think anyone figured it out.

I can't think of trophies popping post-patch, but it's such a rare thing - you'd need a bugged trophy, that happens to be based on data saved in save files.

BoI does save meta data in saved files (such as what stuff you completed with what character) so in theory they might be able to retroactively unlock/pop glitched unlocks and trophies.

If my godhead doesn't unlock retroactively, I will probably never play the game again in frustration.

dickroach

What's special about this seed? I been using
C0NF ETT1 which makes it so all the enemies are in a concussive state. Most enemies won't even attack you

there's a knife just sitting out in the open (well, you have to bomb a rock to get it) in Basement 1. plus you can get Guppy after a few floors, and there's a bunch of soul hearts.
B1ZM 8Z27

SerTapTap

When trophies were first introduced and being patched into already released games, some companies promised retroactive trophies, but I don't think anyone figured it out.

I don't think they're allowed to do that, since only "DRM'd" save files are valid for trophies by policy. Pretty much every game I played pre trophy then post trophy requires a new trophy, or alternately features a trophy set entirely independent of earlier progress. RIP my original MGS4 save file.

there's a knife just sitting out in the open (well, you have to bomb a rock to get it) on Basement 1
B1ZM 8Z27

These rooms are so rare but I love when they happen. I found Odd Mushroom in an area only accessible via flight, first floor basement as Azazel, pretty neat. And once The Leech behind a random key block.

CassSept

Well, how would Lost Contact synergize with huge op flaming Ipecac?

If you thought 'terribly'... well, that's an understatement. It's decent enough in normal rooms but end bosses bullet hell designs make it dreadful. It basically counts as sabotaging your run.

He's rare, but you'll get him eventually. And then you'll fight him countless times on later levels.

He is incredibly rare as a regular boss, I have no idea why, I think I only got him once or twice?

Top Bottom