• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

DrunkDan

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't believe it either. Something else must have happened there. SCEE wouldn't hold a patch for two months just for fun. And I'm pretty sure they must have a contact there which could help with the situation.

Yeah I'm sure that there's a guy called shahid that works for Sony that could possibly help, he was mentioned on Twitter by one of the Isaac devs, but he ignores the various tweets about it.

I'm not surprised that the patch is late seeing as the other one was a few weeks behind, but this is starting to take the piss now.

Just asked Edmund about the EU patch for PS4. He's aware of the problem but doesn't have any control over Sony uploads. Someone in SCEE has done goofed up.

Asking Edmund is pointless. Bugs, certification, and all that kind of shit are far removed from what he does on this game. So yes he's aware, doesn't have any control over it, and has nothing useful to tell you about it, and most likely doesn't want to be asked. (Since having someone else handling the shittier parts of console development is why this game even exists.)

Haunted

I don't dislike The Lost because it requires a tremendous amount of skill as well as a really lucky run to get anywhere with him.

I dislike The Lost because he disables so many mechanics of the game I like. The four different heart pickups are great - not used with The Lost. No curse rooms. No sacrifice rooms. So many items are simply not working with him. All the HP upgrades. The sacrifice items. The items activated on hit. But they're still in the item pool for his runs, being dead weight, removing the joy of finding new items. So many of the interesting risk/reward mechanics that make Isaac what it is and every run so unique are removed.

I don't dislike him because he's hard. I dislike him because he's bad design. And that's about all I'll say on the matter.

edit: on a related note, I'm certain that the rift between certain parts of the community and the developers will have a negative outcome for the rest of us in the expansion. It's a shame, but knowing Edmund, they most likely already fucked it up for the rest of us. ;_;

edit²: and while I'm thinking of the expansion, a Spelunky-style daily challenge with a fixed character+seed combination and online leaderboards should've been in the game already. C'mon Nicalis. Scoring could be handled by level reached or time or enemies killed or items picked up or a combination of those.

SerTapTap

edit: on a related note, I'm certain that the rift between certain parts of the community and the developers will have a negative outcome for the rest of us in the expansion. It's a shame, but knowing Edmund, they most likely already fucked it up for the rest of us. ;_;

I dunno. The Lost's very unlock is total bullshit. I don't really see it as being interesting even if it were somehow found the right way. It would have been even more disappointing to search for weeks and your reward is this stupid bullshit luck-based piece of trash.

To take another example, in Fez, communally finding what the tetris blocks mean was cool. The stupid puzzles that people found by literally doing random shit until it worked, that was stupid. I'm totally fine with less of the latter. Don't like ARGs either TBH. Without The Lost Isaac is still a fun communal learning experience.

BigAT

I dunno. The Lost's very unlock is total bullshit. I don't really see it as being interesting even if it were somehow found the right way. It would have been even more disappointing to search for weeks and your reward is this stupid bullshit luck-based piece of trash.

To take another example, in Fez, communally finding what the tetris blocks mean was cool. The stupid puzzles that people found by literally doing random shit until it worked, that was stupid. I'm totally fine with less of the latter. Don't like ARGs either TBH. Without The Lost Isaac is still a fun communal learning experience.

I understand the disappointment in having it data mined, but honestly how long would it have taken to get discovered otherwise? Years maybe, if ever. The unlock really is bullshit, with such a small, random, nonsensical method to acquire an incredibly minor piece of the puzzle that makes no sense by itself. And for something that has items and achievements tied to it.

Although I now wish that The Lost had stayed hidden. I absolutely loved everything that they did with Rebirth, but The Lost is just causing me to get enraged and frustrated.

Ferrio

Banned
I understand the disappointment in having it data mined, but honestly how long would it have taken to get discovered otherwise? Years maybe, if ever.

Lol it would of been discovered a day later. Reddit + Cobalt/Rich Hammer's stream was knocking out clues left and right.

SerTapTap

Lol it would of been discovered a day later. Reddit + Cobalt/Rich Hammer's stream was knocking out clues left and right.

I'm sure it would have been found, but what I don't get are the people pretending they would have found it on their own. To start with, you have to be so good at the game as to unlock the missing poster, but so braindead you kill yourself in the sacrifice room (I don't even use the sacrifice room when I HAVE health...). To my mind there's no point in trying to spoiler crap because there's zero chance a single totally unspoiled person would work it out in a reasonable timeframe.

I understand the disappointment in having it data mined, but honestly how long would it have taken to get discovered otherwise? Years maybe, if ever. The unlock really is bullshit, with such a small, random, nonsensical method to acquire an incredibly minor piece of the puzzle that makes no sense by itself. And for something that has items and achievements tied to it.

Although I now wish that The Lost had stayed hidden. I absolutely loved everything that they did with Rebirth, but The Lost is just causing me to get enraged and frustrated.

It had achievements, even in the Playstation version. No way would it have stayed hidden. Tying cheevos was the worst thing they could have done regarding hiding it, second worst thing was locking items behind it.

Does anyone have tips for Cat Got Your Tongue?

I am simply terrible at the play style of get close enough with sweeping movements to hit enemies with that stupid furball, but not get hit in return.

I was thinking about turning it in to a mini-Family Man run, hopefully finding Lil' Brimstone or something.

That's what I did with Solar System, but I lucked into it, I didn't actively try for it.

I really dislike the Blind-folded challenges for much the same reason as I dislike the Lost. You've taken out part of the core experience of the game.

SerTapTap

I am simply terrible at the play style of get close enough with sweeping movements to hit enemies with that stupid furball, but not get hit in return.

I was thinking about turning it in to a mini-Family Man run, hopefully finding Lil' Brimstone or something.

That's what I did with Solar System, but I lucked into it, I didn't actively try for it.

I really dislike the Blind-folded challenges for much the same reason as I dislike the Lost. You've taken out part of the core experience of the game.

Boomerang, any familiar and spacebar items like Krampus' head help a lot. In a pinch, invincibility can help you deal a lot of damage to a boss with it too. Bible is also a ton of help, the mom fight is probably the worst part of it (which is rare!). If you reach Mom with no way to hurt her but the flail...you're pretty doomed, but aim for a door and don't get too close to the foot. It's REALLY bad on the boss fight, so you should really focus on having an item to help skip it.

Boomerand, Krampus and Bible are probably the most common things to help. Also, try to carefully level up your hairball early on for each floor, ideally against weak enemies. Even if you get another means of attack it's nice to have a leveled up hairball.

BigAT

Cat Got Your Tongue was one of the absolute worst for me as well, so don't feel bad. Blue/Red Flame helps as well in addition to the ones listed above, I think I beat it with Blue Flame.

SerTapTap

Cat Got Your Tongue was one of the absolute worst for me as well, so don't feel bad. Blue/Red Flame helps as well in addition to the ones listed above, I think I beat it with Blue Flame.

Oh, right! I forgot about those, both are great. The good news is a lot of crap in the shop is very helpful for the no-tears challenges

edit: Just read the reddit thread on the lost's datamining. It reallly doesn't sound like the datamining had much to do with it at all. Seems like it saved us a few days of waiting at most

CassSept

I don't dislike him because he's hard. I dislike him because he's bad design. And that's about all I'll say on the matter.

You're talking about skill+luck, but it weighs on luck way too much. No amount of skill will save you from rooms that require inhuman reflexes, which can really screw up your run. You can get a room where you get hit the instant you enter the room or get unlucky combination of champion (black champions especially) enemies. Yes, you can mitigate some of it with skill and I felt that I'm getting better as I played more of The Lost, but the game is clearly not designed around no-hit character and it's been added as unfair, unbalanced challenged that's really not too well thought out.

SerTapTap

I don't think I'll ever beat the Beans! challenge.

It's not that hard. Conserve bombs, use the spacebar bean to wipe up stragglers. Don't forget to take the all-room damage/stun effect to your advantage. As long as you don't run out of bombs it's pretty easy. Don't be eager to replace The Bean unless it's really worth losing rechargable damage (it probably isn't). If you have no reason to re-enter a room for sure, consider bombing out

ThisOne

Suicide King is making me want to pull my hair out. I always start rushing through and foolishly die somewhere after beating Mom.

Thanks for the tips on Cat Got Your Tongue.

What I ended up with didn't resemble the challenge even slightly. I used Little Steven + Demon Baby + Red Candle and stopped using the hairball.

The Candle tip was great, I'd never really used a candle before.

CassSept

I have to get around to farming Real Plat God one day, but the fact that I'd have to buy a new keyboard for that is greatly pulling me away from that goal. Rebirth did my arrow keys for good so playing with Brimstone is annoying, which makes quick angel room farming with Azazel hair-pulling, bah.

Edit: Nvm, I'm stupid, until today I didn't think of remapping shot direction to numpad. Ummm...

E2: In theory, shouldn't infinite reroll work on angel room key piece to get godhead?

SerTapTap

Yes you should be able to reroll angel room for godhead but i heard its weird about rerolling into breakfast

Suicide King is making me want to pull my hair out. I always start rushing through and foolishly die somewhere after beating Mom.

you gotta take it slow. enemies die like nothing, you are your own greatest threat

diablogod

I have to get around to farming Real Plat God one day, but the fact that I'd have to buy a new keyboard for that is greatly pulling me away from that goal. Rebirth did my arrow keys for good so playing with Brimstone is annoying, which makes quick angel room farming with Azazel hair-pulling, bah.

Edit: Nvm, I'm stupid, until today I didn't think of remapping shot direction to numpad. Ummm...

E2: In theory, shouldn't infinite reroll work on angel room key piece to get godhead?

I don't know about any infinite reroll trick, but how I got godhead was going into a angel room with D6 and hopefully there was an item sitting there. Then I would bomb the angel statue, kill it and then reroll everything, took about 15 angel rooms to finally get it (Had a 48 hour energy pill twice, and nuns habit another time for additional blue fire damage rerolls.)

CassSept

Why is base dps in Rebirth so absolutely unbearable. I'm falling asleep, ten minutes in Cellar is unacceptable.

Edit: All HP Ups, no Sharp Plug, base dps by Depths is simply disgusting.

E2: Next Scapular run, Sharp Plug in the first shop, no coins to buy it. How in the name of all that's holy can this happen.

As I completed Suicide King I started thinking.

Do you guys think the creators of this game intended for people to play challenges as "Survive long enough to get the right items to ignore the challenge"?

I mean the way I beat Suicide King was to get my range so high that in standard rooms if I missed it would hit the far wall and explode rather than return. And enough speed + flight to make dodging easy in bigger rooms.

The way I beat Solar System and Cat Got Your Tongue was to get familiars (and the candle for the latter).

I wonder what percentage of people playing CGYT actually used the hairball to beat Mom.

SerTapTap

Do you guys think the creators of this game intended for people to play challenges as "Survive long enough to get the right items to ignore the challenge"?

I mean the way I beat Suicide King was to get my range so high that in standard rooms if I missed it would hit the far wall and explode rather than return. And enough speed + flight to make dodging easy in bigger rooms.

The way I beat Solar System and Cat Got Your Tongue was to get familiars (and the candle for the latter).

I wonder what percentage of people playing CGYT actually used the hairball to beat Mom.

Breaking the game has always been a relevant part of the game--Jera, most of the reroll items, sharp plug seem designed around breaking the game. But I'm not entirely sure challenges were meant like that. Though Family Man and Cat Got Your Tongue seem like they have to have been designed thinking you'll get extra familiars. I can't imagine they sat there beating MOM with just guppy's hairball and thought "yeah this makes sense".

Suicide King is a fun kind of challenge for the most part IMO. Though it's hilarious how broken Boomerang is if you get it in that challenge. The boomerang copies your tear damage if you didn't know.

BahamutPT

Pretty sure the missing patch is Nicalis' fault.
They won't even bother to acknowledge the fact 1001 Spikes is still missing on the EU PSN. It's been MIA since June 4th, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an Isaac patch.
I've switched from my PS4 to PC for that reason.

Pretty sure the missing patch is Nicalis' fault.
They won't even bother to acknowledge the fact 1001 Spikes is still missing on the EU PSN. It's been MIA since June 4th, so I wouldn't hold my breath for an Isaac patch.
I've switched from my PS4 to PC for that reason.
They did adress 1001 Spikes EU back in October:
http://tyrod.com/post/101107582169/is-1001-spikes-going-to-be-released-in-europe-at

I don't think they ever even submitted it in EU. The game is good (played it on Steam) and I'd love to have it on Vita, but I will not support Nicalis anymore until they fix their stuff.

BahamutPT

They did adress 1001 Spikes EU back in October:
http://tyrod.com/post/101107582169/is-1001-spikes-going-to-be-released-in-europe-at

I don't think they ever even submitted it in EU. The game is good (played it on Steam) and I'd love to have it on Vita, but I will not support Nicalis anymore until they fix their stuff.

Ah, forgot about that, thanks! It's been almost 3 months since Isaac released and still nothing though :/
I really wanted to play it on my PS4 or Vita, but I won't support them by buying it with an US account. That would be giving them more reasons to skip an entire market ("Oh, they can always buy it from another store").

But circling back to Isaac: we're already seeing that happening again with the patch disparity between the EU and US versions of the game. It wouldn't surprise me if the game only released in EU due to Edmund pushing it and/or some contractual obligation with Sony/PS+. (or maybe it would be released almost two years later, like Cave Story 3D :p)

BigAT

My absolute saddest challenge completion method was for Beans. I was having a lot of trouble with it and getting frustrated, so I decided to finish it by any means necessary. I had a run in which I was more or less out of bombs, but I had Guppy's Head, Stop Watch, and one of the battery upgrades that lets you recharge, very slowly, in the middle of the room. I relied on nothing but the flies, deployed once every 20 seconds or so, to do damage. Sadly, I got through a couple of floors this way.

It was ridiculously slow and tedious, but in the end it got the job done.

Got Dead Cat in the first curse room (next to spawn) as the Spoiler, then died eight times in Cellar 1. Got The Mark and Fire Mind, and the second floor was a breeze in comparison.

I'm afraid to get into a room in Catacombs 1.

Well, after having done everything the trophies I'm officially missing are:

Kill Isaac with Isaac
Kill Satan with Lazarus
Dead Boy
Kill Mom's Heart 9 times
Unlock the Lost

Other than Dead Boy that's really not that bad to do on a second file, assuming they actually unlock.on the second file, which I have to admit I'm dubious that I'd get all 5 given the rate of unlock failure I've had so far.

SerTapTap

Well, after having done everything the trophies I'm officially missing are:

Kill Isaac with Isaac
Kill Satan with Lazarus
Dead Boy
Kill Mom's Heart 9 times
Unlock the Lost

Other than Dead Boy that's really not that bad to do on a second file, assuming they actually unlock.on the second file, which I have to admit I'm dubious that I'd get all 5 given the rate of unlock failure I've had so far.

Use the seed glitch with Ludovico + Azazel for Mom's Heart, I guess Holy Mantle for Dead Boy. Doesn't look too bad. Just savescum (upload save, download if needed) right before unlocking to be sure you get 'em

Got Dead Cat in the first curse room (next to spawn) as the Spoiler, then died eight times in Cellar 1. Got The Mark and Fire Mind, and the second floor was a breeze in comparison.

I'm afraid to get into a room in Catacombs 1.

There's no need to be afraid. You're going to die anyway

Bliddo

Thanks for the tips on Cat Got Your Tongue.

What I ended up with didn't resemble the challenge even slightly. I used Little Steven + Demon Baby + Red Candle and stopped using the hairball.

The Candle tip was great, I'd never really used a candle before.

I'll try that. I was able to complete the run using just the damned hairball, but sadly mom killed me in the same instant that I killed her. The trophy popped on the ground, followed by the death screen. I was mildly pissed off.

Nyx

I've grown to like this game while my first try at it lasted 2 minutes before I deleted it from my PS4 harddrive.

But as I read so many cool stories about the game I tried it again and now like it a lot, even though I have not gotten past Caves II yet. :D

The complete randomness every run makes this so fun to play for a few short sessions.

had a fun eve run last night.

Got a ton of angel rooms, but I never saw a devil room (it may have spawned on a floor with curse of darkness and I just could not see it on vita).

Ended up with Holy Mantle, Fire mind, Soy Milk (first floor item room), Halo, Meat, Little steven, Mongo Baby, Lazarus's rags, krampus's head (Vita still has it on a three room charge) and a ton of other fun items. Found a jera rune on necropolis II so I was going to the chest. I had a row of red hearts and a row of spirit hearts.

Mom, mom's heart, and isaac were easy, curse of the blind on the chest (oh great). Popped the Jera rune and opened my chests. First two were guillotine and Isaac's heart, one of them I could have modified my play for but both was a pain even with holy mantle. A couple of speed upgrades and some useless active items. Lost all of my spirit hearts on the way to blue baby (thank you double mega fattie, double adversary, and double fallen rooms)

room before blue baby I got another damage up. I figure I've got a shot. I wreck blue baby's first 2/3 of hp, then his homing shots start in on isaac's heart. I die, Lazarus's rags brings me back with BB at about 1/16 health. I kill Blue baby, and his last homing shot goes around the head orbital and straight into Isaac's heart killing me...

So very frustrating.

SerTapTap

Isaac's Heart is crazy annoying. Also one time I found it one floor AFTER passing up on Blood Rights (infinite full room damage). I wouldn't pick it up unless I had one of the synergies already. In theory it's great to have an invincible body, in reality the Heart is super stupid and it makes doging awkward, and I swear certain attacks are almost impossible to dodge with it unless you drastically over-dodge each time with a high speed stat, or were already moving when the shot fired.

I've grown to like this game while my first try at it lasted 2 minutes before I deleted it from my PS4 harddrive.

But as I read so many cool stories about the game I tried it again and now like it a lot, even though I have not gotten past Caves II yet. :D

The complete randomness every run makes this so fun to play for a few short sessions.

It's a very complicated game and often hard to see the appeal right away, especially if you're not familiar with Edmund's style. Glad you're enjoying it.

Haunted

You're talking about skill+luck, but it weighs on luck way too much. No amount of skill will save you from rooms that require inhuman reflexes, which can really screw up your run. You can get a room where you get hit the instant you enter the room or get unlucky combination of champion (black champions especially) enemies. Yes, you can mitigate some of it with skill and I felt that I'm getting better as I played more of The Lost, but the game is clearly not designed around no-hit character and it's been added as unfair, unbalanced challenged that's really not too well thought out.
Yeah, you might be right.

I think every discussion of an element in Rebirth that contains the words "reroll/restart until" means something went wrong with the design somewhere and means I probably won't complete it at all (like lvl 4 Meat Boy/Bandage Girl)

SerTapTap

Yeah, you might be right.

I think every discussion of an element in Rebirth that contains the words "reroll/restart until" means something went wrong with the design somewhere and means I probably won't complete it at all (like lvl 4 Meat Boy/Bandage Girl)

Yeah, that's a pretty succinct way to describe all the problematic areas (collect all items, meat boy/bandage girl, Lost). Used to be rerolling until (blank) was only to break the game for fun, cheating if you're not good at the game, or speedruns.

Nyx

It's a very complicated game and often hard to see the appeal right away, especially if you're not familiar with Edmund's style. Glad you're enjoying it.

Me most of the time:

97VP

But it's so cool to see what kind of items and rooms are waiting for me in the next run.

Yeah, that's a pretty succinct way to describe all the problematic areas (collect all items, meat boy/bandage girl, Lost). Used to be rerolling until (blank) was only to break the game for fun, cheating if you're not good at the game, or speedruns.

Challenges are in there too. Cursed is impossible without some level of luck, and several others would require levels of skill way higher than mine to do with just any old items.

SerTapTap

Me most of the time:
But it's so cool to see what kind of items and rooms are waiting for me in the next run.

Are you using platinumgod.co.uk and the wiki to figure stuff out? I wouldn't recommend reading up before playing, but how I like to play is learn as I go and read up on what new items are.Keeps the sense of exploration and mystery without me being completely unaware of what shit does. (and there ARE items without proper descriptions in game, and a lot of unexplained mechanics)

Challenges are in there too. Cursed is impossible without some level of luck, and several others would require levels of skill way higher than mine to do with just any old items.

I feel I must have gotten lucky with the challenges. I don't think I played any of them more than 5 times, most one or two, and aside from Hairball I don't really hate any of them. Solar System was actually pretty cool IMO. Red fly op. Granted I DID use a candle to get out of Hairball and Boomerang to help in Suicide King.

Only a couple of challenges took me more than about 2 tries, but I also got exceptionally lucky with items. I was Guppy more in my challenge runs than I've ever been in normal runs.

The only ones which took a lot of tries were Cursed, Beans, and Cat Got Your Tongue. I got Solar System and Family Man in one try each.

SerTapTap

Oh right, Family Man, I knew there was a second one I didn't like. But most of the "challenge breaking" items are fairly common due to being shop items. I wonder if that's intentional

You get so much leverage in Cursed, it's very easy unless you get incredibly unlucky.

I think it's equally likely you got lucky.

You get 1 health per 4 enemy-filled rooms from the usable item. I had multiple runs with no keys or bombs so I couldn't take any shortcut, nor get items. And every room without any enemies is another 1/2 heart gone with no hope of recovery.

I finally won when I lucked into Holy Mantle of all things, which admittedly totally trivialized the challenge.

I'm now down to one trophy, unlock the Lost.

The problem? Mullibooms do not exist. Anywhere. Seeds which should have them, and do have them on my main file, have other stuff instead.

They have to be unlocked by something. What?

I thought it was unlocking the Lost Baby/Missing Poster. Nope. I thought maybe it was actually acquiring the Missing Poster. Nope.

Beating Isaac/??? - No. Beating Satan/the Lamb? No.

Something has to unlock them.

I don't think it's challenges because I unlocked the Lost before I started on challenges on my primary file.

Anyone have any other ideas? The only other ideas I have are it being tied to the donation machine somehow, and/or seed exploit running BASE MENT until I have every item.

This is a lot of hoops to jump through because the creators can't be bothered to fix their trophy crap.

EDIT: Well then. Right after I posted this I killed Gemini little guy first, which unlocked the Cellar. And now Mullibooms show up. Looks like they can't show up before you have the cellar unlocked, or at least are really really rare until then. Who knew? Weird that you can't find this info by googling, at least I couldn't.

Top Bottom