• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

SerTapTap

This is probably crazy old news but I just noticed Rebirth is now playable on PS TV. IT wasn't as launch but I didn't keep up with it's status. Does not use PS4 controls by default, so go into Options to manually set up your controls. Disappointingly, DS3/4 controls (R2 R3) are not available so you might end up using face buttons for things. It's not a great effort but at least it works. Infinite loading bug is still present too. Surprised Nicalis still gets work.

Incidentally the Lost is just ridiculous. I just entered a room right next to an exploding guy who instantly exploded and killed me.

The "get gud" people never explain how exactly to handle something like that. Probably because there is no answer.

There shouldn't be impossible rooms like that, but there were some updates that removed some impossible layouts before so maybe they do exist as a bug.

The inherent problem with The Lost is that luck MASSIVELY overrides skill, even though it's obstinately a skill challenge. IT's really not--a normal playthrough, skill can overcome shit luck. The Lost is an exercise in the opposite--how much of a skill requirement can your good luck erase? Or maybe bad luck will just completely and instantly end your run.

There's no analog control movement on the keyboard.

Controller controls superior confirmed.

Analog movement is only for player movement (which is great) and the Trinity Shield though. Still nice but not super massively different. I do prefer controller, but wish there were a quick restart. But again, since skill USUALLY overrides luck, I've only ever wanted it for The Lost and the stupid awful collection achievements.

I admit I'm totally used to using a controller, but there are several bosses I find way harder to dodge without analog movement. Especially with lots of Speed Up as I overshoot too much.

Not being able to quick reset is a minor nuisance compared to that.

SerTapTap

I admit I'm totally used to using a controller, but there are several bosses I find way harder to dodge without analog movement. Especially with lots of Speed Up as I overshoot too much.

Not being able to quick reset is a minor nuisance compared to that.

Yeah, analog movement is pretty great, moving too fast can be a major impediment which is why most bullet hell games have a slow movement button/action. Isaac isn't really designed around it but it's still very nice to have. Also helps for dropping a billion coins into a slot machine or stuff

UglyPony

Incidentally the Lost is just ridiculous. I just entered a room right next to an exploding guy who instantly exploded and killed me.

The "get gud" people never explain how exactly to handle something like that. Probably because there is no answer.

I literally can't imagine a Lost Run where I could go fast enough and feel safe enough to try a Boss Rush on hard.

To be honest The Lost is the low point of this game. The game is designed around taking damage and recovering from it. Having an instant die character in the game makes no sense and just promotes save scumming and exploits. I know there is an item that will let you take 1 extra hit but the chances are so small to get this item and good damage at the same time is so low its not worth the effort. Just sucks all the fun out of the game. This and having to do it on hard mode (which drops like no keys if your unlucky) for trophies (if they feel like unlocking at all), plus the random nature of this game just makes it an unfun experience.

I'm not ashamed to say i exploited the living shit doing the Lost part of the game for the trophy. But then again, Godhead wont unlock because EU is stuck at v1.01 since... forever.

I think if I were to attempt to fix the Lost what I would do is give him Dead Cat to start, and then remove a bunch of items from his treasure tables.

Like I'd remove any item that is purely health related, along with the Holy Mantle (to prevent Holy Mantle + Dead Cat, which I think would be too easy).

In that way you'd still have to beat every enemy without getting hit, but not pray quite so much that you don't get screwed too hard by luck.

SerTapTap

I think if I were to attempt to fix the Lost what I would do is give him Dead Cat to start, and then remove a bunch of items from his treasure tables.

Like I'd remove any item that is purely health related, along with the Holy Mantle (to prevent Holy Mantle + Dead Cat, which I think would be too easy).

In that way you'd still have to beat every enemy without getting hit, but not pray quite so much that you don't get screwed too hard by luck.

IMO, holy mantle is all that's needed. Enables Curse Rooms, means "impossible rooms" aren't an issue, game is still extremely difficult. The single item redeems basically all runs with it. An impossible room with Dead Cat is still impossible, Curse Rooms are still unusable, 2 Adversaries fighty still has a 1 hit kill, The Lamb can still kill instantly with that stupid charge attack (is there logic to that or is it totally random with no windup?).

Plus starting with 1/3rd of guppy biases his runs too much IMO. Holy Mantle is fairly combo-agnostic.

CassSept

There shouldn't be impossible rooms like that, but there were some updates that removed some impossible layouts before so maybe they do exist as a bug.

Well there are rooms where you are assaulted immediately when you enter, which are basically impossible. One that sticks in my mind because it ruined an incredibly great start is the one with four Gushers in the center and four Gapers walled off by poop (pretty common Basement room layout so I believe everyone should remember it). The instant you enter the room four Gushers all shoot at once into different directions. This usually isn't a problem because they shoot sideways, but this one time one of them shot into direction of the door. To the bottom door, to left and right Gapers one tile away from me and from the top a shot coming right at me.

In theory it's possible to dodge it. Hell, I had a Stopwatch in a shop connected to the previous room but I didn't have the coins necessary yet. But unless you have that item it requires Neo level reflexes to come out unscathed.

J4g3r

Quite a few of my trophies for this seem to still be bugged on PSN for some reason.

Tried the fixes that have been posted around message boards and by the developers themselves but I am still unable to unlock "Golden God" and both Isaac and Satan kill trophies for Eve.

I'm getting pretty close to Platinum God, so it's getting pretty annoying. Hope they fix it soon.

Quite a few of my trophies for this seem to still be bugged on PSN for some reason.

Tried the fixes that have been posted around message boards and by the developers themselves but I am still unable to unlock "Golden God" and both Isaac and Satan kill trophies for Eve.

I'm getting pretty close to Platinum God, so it's getting pretty annoying. Hope they fix it soon.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Ooccoo

Yea I was playing as
blue baby
and got extremely lucky with special powers. To the point I just had to record it. Unfortunately, I died at
Satan
which was fucking annoying since I never beat it with that character yet. The fact he spawns the floating bomb things (I didn't know) is what killed me.

Watch

Spectral Tears + Mega Tears is so good!

SerTapTap

If those are the only three, I'd just seed exploit + save scum (exit game just before earning the trophy) on a second file to make sure you get them. Shouldnt' be too bad. With a ludovico seed you can kill Mom's Heart in ~4 minutes easy. You're on US version 1.03 right? Otherwise don't fuss too much, platinum is impossible on EU version/1.01 anyway

J4g3r

If those are the only three, I'd just seed exploit + save scum (exit game just before earning the trophy) on a second file to make sure you get them. Shouldnt' be too bad. With a ludovico seed you can kill Mom's Heart in ~4 minutes easy. You're on US version 1.03 right? Otherwise don't fuss too much, platinum is impossible on EU version/1.01 anyway

I'm on EU 1.01, had no idea there was a 1.03 to be honest.

SerTapTap

I'm on EU 1.01, had no idea there was a 1.03 to be honest.

Oh, you've missed out on the drama. I wouldn't worry about trophies for now, Dead Boy and God Head are glitched, platinum is impossible. Either Nicalis is lying or SCEE is stupid/lazy and haven't released the patch yet. Both seem equally possible

J4g3r

Oh, you've missed out on the drama. I wouldn't worry about trophies for now, Dead Boy and God Head are glitched, platinum is impossible. Either Nicalis is lying or SCEE is stupid/lazy and haven't released the patch yet. Both seem equally possible

Guess I'll stop bothering with trophies then and just enjoy the game for what it is, that's a shame!

Haunted

Expansion speculation: you ever notice that room layout that's basically a recreation (and probably an homage to) the classic Link to the Past fairy fountain rooms? Mostly in the caves - a short ledge where you enter, a large pool of water and two fires in the corner (or at the edges of the land). Always empty, nothing to do.

I could easily see this layout being turned into an actual special room type to exchange something or get a temporary buff in the future.

That's another reason why I'll switch exclusively to PC for the expansion. Such a huge oversight.
Yeah, that's a bummer.
Tyrone said on Reddit they've run out of buttons.

Just put it on L3+R3 held for 3 seconds.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have Starter Deck and Blank Card and now I actually get to decide whether to take a combination of Joker, Chaos Card, or Perthro rune. #IsaacProblems

ThisOne

So far, Golden God is the only trophy that hasn't unlocked for me. Even after using that trophy trick, it won't pop. I'm on NA version 1.03 PS4, by the way.

BouncyFrag

So what items picked up early are a good sign that you are about to go an epic run? Mine:
- PHD, I love this item so much
- anything that gives you a multi shot
- chocolate milk, fast or charged I love the options for both
- any perma-flight item
- steamy sale
- petrified poop + card against humanity = profit

SerTapTap

So what items picked up early are a good sign that you are about to go an epic run? Mine:
- any perma-flight item
- steamy sale

In a BASE MENT run I had Starter Deck, Blank Card, Jera and Cards Against Humanity, and also the Battery and some other charging stuff. Instant poop in almost every room

ThisOne

- any perma-flight item
- steamy sale

Cricket's Head and/or Body early are great items. 20/20 is probably my favorite multi-shot item since it doesn't lower your tears. I still don't get the love for chocolate milk. I skip that 100% of the time.

BouncyFrag

Cricket's Head and/or Body early are great items. 20/20 is probably my favorite multi-shot item since it doesn't lower your tears. I still don't get the love for chocolate milk. I skip that 100% of the time.
When I get chocolate milk early it's nothing special, but with some upgrades such as mega tears, multishot, damage+, etc. it's a beast. Being able to quick fire is handy if you are getting swarmed and charging gets a bit dicey.

Ambitious

Another ruined run. I was playing Azazel because Brimstone is awesome. In the boss rush room, I chose Technology out of the four items. Laser + Laser has to result in an even better Laser, right? Turns out Technology overwrites Brimstone. So all I had now was this tiny, measly laser doing barely any damage. Each boss took over a minute to kill, and eventually I died anyway.

That's kinda the opposite of an earlier run in which I found The Inner Eye, which tripled my damage (which was already pretty high). In that run, I was able to one-shot pretty much all of the bosses in the boss rush room.

SerTapTap

Another ruined run. I was playing Azazel because Brimstone is awesome. In the boss rush room, I chose Technology out of the four items. Laser + Laser has to result in an even better Laser, right? Turns out Technology overwrites Brimstone. So all I had now was this tiny, measly laser doing barely any damage. Each boss took over a minute to kill, and eventually I died anyway.

That's kinda the opposite of an earlier run in which I found The Inner Eye, which tripled my damage (which was already pretty high). In that run, I was able to one-shot pretty much all of the bosses in the boss rush room.

Technology (1) overrides many things, Tech 2 and .05 don't, though tech 2 reduces damage and isn't always worth it. And Azazel's brimstone is overriden by a lot of things that Brimstone isn't. It's a weird inbetween item.

Haunted

I find it hard to differentiate Tech.5, Technology and Technology 2 from the look of the item. Tech.5 and Tech 2 would've been fine for your run! Only Technology replaces your tears completely.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm trying to use a Wii U Pro Controller on my Mac via WJoy to play this, but it's not working. Anyone know of another solution? It's the only controller I have and I hate using kb/m. :-(

Well, I have Godhead. The item anyway, the trophies for Godhead and Dead Boy both didn't unlock. /sigh

Was a totally insane set of items. Curse room right next to entrance had Guppy's Paw, Dead Cat, and Guppy's Collar. Instant Guppy.

Within a couple floors I found Guppy's Head, Ceremonial Robes, Lump of Coal, Cricket's Head, Goat Head, Proptosis, 3x Pretty Fly, and Ludovico Technique.

The rest of the run was easier than I ever imagined the Lost could be.

I know some people don't like the Ludovico Technique without Brimstone, but even as good as the items I had were I don't think I could have beat the Boss Rush without it. The ability to hide and kill from anywhere was really really useful.

Ambitious

I was just writing a post about an earlier run in which I found both Soul Converter and Guppy's Paw. SC replaces 2 soul hearts with one red heart and GP replaces one red heart with three soul hearts, so by repeatedly switching between the two of them, you can increase your health significantly (to either 9 red hearts, or a combination of red and soul hearts adding up to 12).

I was reminded of that run as I had picked up Soul Converter again just a few minutes ago. However, before submitting my post, I decided to complete one more room.

Guppy's Paw.

..Seriously, what are the odds?

OmegaZero

I've just finished Platinuming a few backlog games and am finally getting back into this. I heard that there's a way to use seeds to unlock trophies? I thought the use of seeds disabled trophies?

U.S. Vita user here, if it matters.

Has the concept of a versus mode been talked about at all (or any mode where you play as bosses)? There was something vaguely mentioned about it at PAX but I'm not sure if it was a slip or an announced feature.

Context: Nicalis showing a screen of boss drawings and saying something along the lines of "these will be the versus portraits". But maybe I heard wrong so don't quote me on this.

SerTapTap

I've just finished Platinuming a few backlog games and am finally getting back into this. I heard that there's a way to use seeds to unlock trophies? I thought the use of seeds disabled trophies?

U.S. Vita user here, if it matters.

Enter seed, exit all the way to the "select a file" menu, go back in, start your run as whichever character, your seed should be the one you selected but the game acts as if it were a random seed. To confirm you got it right just double check the seed on the pause menu.

If your trophies bugged, get them on a second file, doesn't take long due to the seed exploit...depending on which bugged.

OmegaZero

Enter seed, exit all the way to the "select a file" menu, go back in, start your run as whichever character, your seed should be the one you selected but the game acts as if it were a random seed. To confirm you got it right just double check the seed on the pause menu.

If your trophies bugged, get them on a second file, doesn't take long due to the seed exploit...depending on which bugged.

Wow, that's incredibly simple. :eek:
Thanks for the run-down, I'll try it out on my break.

With -138 (probably more) of a killstreak, I got Odd Mushroom with The Spoiler at the end of Basement II.

The Devil Room had Book Of Belial, The Nail and Mom's Knife.

In Catacombs 1's first room (except the starting one), I walked into a TNT barrel with the Knife.

I love how
The Lost
makes me feel like I've started the game anew with all my previous skills (which were not much in the first place) gone. It makes the game far more exhilarating.

Solobbos

Just asked Edmund about the EU patch for PS4. He's aware of the problem but doesn't have any control over Sony uploads. Someone in SCEE has done goofed up.

i'm going through and beating hard mode for each character after having done it all on normal, after that i'm gonna finally dive into putting more work into the lost. hopefully by then i'll have improved.

chucking a chaos card in the lambs fat head was so satisfying.

Some of these challenges are just the shittiest thing. Not fun at all.

The blindfolded ones + Head Trauma are the ones that make me want to throw a controller. Head Trauma makes me want to actively stumble upon a D4, D100, or a Dice Room with 1 or 6, something I never thought I'd wish for.

Brimstone Baby carried me through Solar System.

EDIT: I just wasted a
Lost
run in which I had Mom's Knife, Piggy Bank, Leo (taking this was a mistake), Guppy's Head and a bunch of other stuff.

I don't believe this.
Is Nicalis after all...

Yeah, I'm sorry, but I don't believe it either. Something else must have happened there. SCEE wouldn't hold a patch for two months just for fun. And I'm pretty sure they must have a contact there which could help with the situation.

Top Bottom