• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dereck

j0LTrqQ.png

Silky

Banned
Fuck the term 'tryhard.' Seriously.

Never had an interest in Uncharted multiplayer. Is it good?

I thought UC3 MP was garbage and made a thread on how liquid ass it was about a year ago, and I haven't played UC2 to give an opinion on it. I also think TLoU MP is garbage too.

But what do I know, I play Gears :^)

harSon

Banned
What similar shows would you compare it to? Is it more ridiculous than Fringe (If you've watched it)?

Yeah, it's comparable to the later seasons of Fringe. Although it goes from 0 to 100 over the course of a season, instead of down the road. The show starts off pretty grounded (well as grounded as you can make a show of this kind), and then basically turns into Resident Evil - complete with Umbrella fuckery. I'm not going to lie and say it's legitimately good, but the ridiculousness of the show definitely makes it entertaining. It gets better towards the end of the season too.

So, Prawns (District 9) have to be the most struggle black aliens in fiction, right? They're literal stand-ins for victimized Apartheid-era Africans.

Slayven

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So, Prawns (District 9) have to be the most struggle black aliens in fiction, right? They're literal stand-ins for victimized Apartheid-era Africans.
One of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. They really nailed the atmosphere, and I love the journey of the main character and his development from start to finish.

Blompkamp was absolutely brilliant in his directing of District 9. He's got a new movie coming out about an AI gaining sentience, called CHAPPIE. I'm skeptical but mildly interested.

harSon

Banned
One of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. They really nailed the atmosphere, and I love the journey of the main character and his development from start to finish.

Blompkamp was absolutely brilliant in his directing of District 9. He's got a new movie coming out about an AI gaining sentience, called CHAPPIE. I'm skeptical but mildly interested.

It's going to be shit

Malyse

Elysium soured me on him.
Are you being serious?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Elysium was shit, I'm still surprised it was made by the same guy.
It's going to be shit
What makes you say that? Hugh Jack made me think negatively about it, like they are just going to use light Asimov themes to create a generic shootbang. But why would Blompkamp make a great film like D9 that shows how to do Sci-Fi right and then proceed to create garbage in the same genre? Did D9 not make much money or something?

Malyse

Elysium was shit, I'm still surprised it was made by the same guy.

What makes you say that? Hugh Jack made me think negatively about it, like they are just going to use light Asimov themes to create a generic shootbang. But why would Blompkamp make a great film like D9 that shows how to do Sci-Fi right and then proceed to create garbage in the same genre? Did D9 not make much money or something?

That doesn't give you any cognitive dissonance?

D i Z

Elysium was shit, I'm still surprised it was made by the same guy.What makes you say that? Hugh Jack made me think negatively about it, like they are just going to use light Asimov themes to create a generic shootbang. But why would Blompkamp make a great film like D9 that shows how to do Sci-Fi right and then proceed to create garbage in the same genre? Did D9 not make much money or something?

A lot of people view D9 being as good as it was as some kind of a fluke. Like he's not going to be able to deliver or surpass what he pulled of then with a small budget. And higher budgets somehow mean less control. Elysium wasn't a bad film, but it went Hollywood so everyone's got frowny faces about it. If it were a budget flick, people would honestly like it more. Still wouldn't be the greatest, but at least appreciated. It feels like folks are waiting for him to become a flash in the pan creator so that they can forget the potential of what D9 meant at the time.

----

Edited for clarification.

Malyse

Fuck shit isn't the yeti, it is only a google away. But you wallow in that, that and Disney.

Contrary to what you might think, I don't even remotely seek this out. For whatever reason, this stuff finds me with annoying frequency via at messages, emails, social media, ect. And I don't share 80% of what I get.

Disney, I do actively seek.
A lot of people view D9 being as good as it was as some kind of a fluke. Like he's not going to be able to deliver or surpass what he pulled of then with a small budget, and higher budgets somehow mean less control. Elysium wasn't a bad film, but it went Hollywood so everyone's got frowny faces about it. It feels like folks are waiting for him to become a flash in the pan creator so that they can forget the potential of what D9 meant at the time.
God damn I could kiss you. You've triggered a brilliant plan for next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom