• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trey

You know when you become busy with life and perhaps cynical about gaming that you wonder why you even bother with the industry, until you replay one of those games that remind you why you love the hobby in the first place?

Ocarina of Time, Ninja Gaiden Black and Halo: CE are those games for me. Infinitely replayable.

harSon

Banned
What makes you say that? Hugh Jack made me think negatively about it, like they are just going to use light Asimov themes to create a generic shootbang. But why would Blompkamp make a great film like D9 that shows how to do Sci-Fi right and then proceed to create garbage in the same genre? Did D9 not make much money or something?

Shit's probably too strong of a word. Thoroughly average is appropriate. Unlike Elysium, my opinion is based on more than just a screenplay this time around. Also, Blomkamp is a magician. Dude somehow manages to make black people disappear from Africa.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That doesn't give you any cognitive dissonance?
I'm looking at a pattern and wondering why he fell off after making a good movie. Glad you are practicing your psych vocabulary words though.
A lot of people view D9 being as good as it was as some kind of a fluke. Like he's not going to be able to deliver or surpass what he pulled of then with a small budget. And higher budgets somehow mean less control. Elysium wasn't a bad film, but it went Hollywood so everyone's got frowny faces about it. If it were a budget flick, people would honestly like it more. It feels like folks are waiting for him to become a flash in the pan creator so that they can forget the potential of what D9 meant at the time.
Elysium was incredibly disappointing to me, which I recognize might have some bias since myself (and probably other people) held it to a higher standard than if it would have just been made by an unknown. It's not bad as a popcorn flick if you can stomach the constant hamfisted imagery. D9 felt more subtle and immersed you in an environment in a original and exciting way due to the documentary style filming. Perhaps it was a fluke but I feel like you don't just "accidentally" create something that good. What you say about higher budgets meaning less control might be true, but why would he dilute his name like that? Just for more money?

Someone's calling the Spartan "bro banter" in the H5G beta "gangsta," lmao

As far as I know it's possible to have Mike Colter as a VA for one of your team's Spartans, and beyond that it's just Nathan Fillion and a few more generic ones. A couple of white fratboy Spartan recruits shouting "YOU'RE A MACHINE, KEEP IT UP" is definitely what I'd call gangsta.

harSon

Banned
Elysium was incredibly disappointing to me, which I recognize might have some bias since myself (and probably other people) held it to a higher standard than if it would have just been made by an unknown. It's not bad as a popcorn flick if you can stomach the constant hamfisted imagery. D9 felt more subtle and immersed you in an environment in a original and exciting way due to the documentary style filming. Perhaps it was a fluke but I feel like you don't just "accidentally" create something that good. What you say about higher budgets meaning less control might be true, but why would he dilute his name like that? Just for more money?

I've posted this before, but Elysium was basically District 9 dressed a different way.

If you read the script or analyze the movie's story you can actually see plot points and character beats stolen STRAIGHT from District 9. Lead gets sick while on the job (Alien DNA/Radiation Poisoning), lead must get to a large object floating in the sky in order to heal himself (Prawn Mothership/Elysium Space Station), lead must pull off a dangerous heist involving the company he works for in order to get there (Break into MNU to steal DNA fuel/Hunt down boss and steal Elysium data) Parent and child get involved (Christopher and kid alien/Mother and sick daughter). At the end of the second act the lead betrays the parent and child get in a spaceship (Attacking Christopher/Stealing from mother- At least in the script), the spaceship promptly crashes (Gets shot down into D9/ Crashes hard on Elysium lawn).

Slayven

Someone's calling the Spartan "bro banter" in the H5G beta "gangsta," lmao

As far as I know it's possible to have Mike Colter as a VA for one of your team's Spartans, and beyond that it's just Nathan Fillion and a few more generic ones. A couple of white fratboy Spartan recruits shouting "YOU'RE A MACHINE, KEEP IT UP" is definitely what I'd call gangsta.

I wish video games reach out for more voice actors. Getting tired of hearing the same 3 dudes, I want CCH Poiunder to voice a villain for some reason.

D i Z

Does anyone use Tubefilter.com? I've never been able to "crack" Youtube so to speak. I have a hard time looking at that front page and finding anything useful. I tend to only visit when someone posts a link, or a stray thought crosses my mind, but I've never really found their content tools effective.

Slayven

Jando is just as dirty as the rest of them

angry+police+horse.jpg

One of my favorite sci-fi movies of all time. They really nailed the atmosphere, and I love the journey of the main character and his development from start to finish.

Blompkamp was absolutely brilliant in his directing of District 9. He's got a new movie coming out about an AI gaining sentience, called CHAPPIE. I'm skeptical but mildly interested.

That's Short Circuit with today's sensibilities instead of 80's sensibilities.

so my mom finally got married!

can officially call him stepdad, such a great dude, i'm happy for them both.

about to get wasted!@

macaroni, deviled eggs, bbq chicken, ribs, rum, brandy, vodka & tequilla on deck.

so my mom finally got married!

can officially call him stepdad, such a great dude, i'm happy for them both.

about to get wasted!@

macaroni, deviled eggs, bbq chicken, ribs, rum, brandy, vodka & tequilla on deck.

Bruh don't be mixing that white and brown liquor, but as a stepdad I can also say...Turn down 4 what!!!!!

So, Prawns (District 9) have to be the most struggle black aliens in fiction, right? They're literal stand-ins for victimized Apartheid-era Africans.

And they live in the ghetto and all they do is sit around and drink and destroy their own neighborhood and they don't provide anything positive to society. It's what white people love to portray us as

akira28

Gotham made me kinda attracted to Jada Pinkett again, but other than that, it's garbahje.

Fish Mooney is kinda like eartha kitt catwoman, without the cats. So she's just Woman.

D i Z

Gotham got renewed?

post-30744-not-like-this-not-like-this-gi-DBvb.gif

BCT's not with Gotham? I kind of like what it's become. I've never had any expectations for it, but it has provided a handful of character moments that could only be done if removed from the super hero faff.

Arrow and Flash as much as I like them, are lowest common denominator story lines and composition. Gotham at least is tackling one of DC's biggest problems of having these iconic cities that are void of personality without their heroes.

I love gotham, it manages to entertain me weekly and that's all I ask for these comic book shows tbh

It's pretty hilarious and fish, penguin and Alfred never disappoint when on the screen

For their latest seasons:

Flash > Gotham > Arrow

I'll never watch agents of shield but I heard that's gotten pretty fun in season 2

Gothams wink-wink-nod-nod bullshit annoys me. Especally Catwoman's look.

Fucking hate this. It's like they don't even understand the concept of subtlety.

Build that arrow verse.

The real irony is that DC's TV universe will be more competent than the movie one.

Yep.

BCT's not with Gotham? I kind of like what it's become. I've never had any expectations for it, but it has provided a handful of character moments that could only be done if removed from the super hero faff.

Arrow and Flash as much as I like them, are lowest common denominator story lines and composition. Gotham at least is tackling one of DC's biggest problems of having these iconic cities that are void of personality without their heroes.

The only positive Gotham has is Harvey Bullock. Even Penguin, despite being well acted, has nothing but shit to work with.

D i Z

I love gotham, it manages to entertain me weekly and that's all I ask for these comic book shows tbh

It's pretty hilarious and fish, penguin and Alfred never disappoint when on the screen

For their latest seasons:

Flash > Gotham > Arrow

I'll never watch agents of shield but I heard that's gotten pretty fun in season 2

Agents has gotta waaay better since the later part of Season one. The mid season break ended on some game changing shit for the show and the movies.

The only positive Gotham has is Harvey Bullock. Even Penguin, despite being well acted, has nothing but shit to work with.

That's a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of good characters that are getting their start here. I could do without all of the Batverse villains as kids though. They seem like a calculation to attract the Batfandom, but all of that is the weakest shit on the show so far.

I would have said that around the pilot but honestly at this point I find kid bruce and penguin's scenes a lot more enjoyable than Gordon's

Kid poison ivy can leave tho plz

D i Z

I would have said that around the pilot but honestly at this point I find kid bruce and penguin's scenes a lot more enjoyable than Gordon's

Kid poison ivy can leave tho plz

Barbara should have left the city as well. Her drama is tired. I get that it's all in the service of the epic amount of bullshit that Jim has to carry, but damn.

----

Just started Danganronpa :Trigger Happy Havok last night. If this game can maintain the style points it gets from the beginning, It's going to be a fun ride.

Agents has gotta waaay better since the later part of Season one. The mid season break ended on some game changing shit for the show and the movies.

That's a bit of a stretch. There are plenty of good characters that are getting their start here. I could do without all of the Batverse villains as kids though. They seem like a calculation to attract the Batfandom, but all of that is the weakest shit on the show so far.

I disagree, there are a lot of potentially good characters, but they all have too much bullshit attached. I think the mob characters could be good if they had some teeth and Fish Mooney could be good if she wasn't so obviously named for the joke Penguin is going to make when he eventually kills her.

RP912

Banned
You know when you become busy with life and perhaps cynical about gaming that you wonder why you even bother with the industry, until you replay one of those games that remind you why you love the hobby in the first place?

Ocarina of Time, Ninja Gaiden Black and Halo: CE are those games for me. Infinitely replayable.

My go to game to get away from the industry bullshit got to be Simcity 2013 and Civilization 4. Both those games rekindled my love for gaming...mainly on the pc.

At USG, we have a whole series about our personal games like that: Comfort Food Games. I kicked the series off by writing about Final Fantasy Tactics.

D i Z

I disagree, there are a lot of potentially good characters, but they all have too much bullshit attached. I think the mob characters could be good if they had some teeth and Fish Mooney could be good if she wasn't so obviously named for the joke Penguin is going to make when he eventually kills her.

What I meant by good characters getting their start was in reference to Jim, Harvey, the higher level mobsters and other Gotham supporting cast. Them being all in the same struggle before they became archetypes leaves a lot of possibilities for development and 'how they got like that' situations that the comics won't allow.
The newly introduced characters that we know aren't going to last twenty years down the timeline are interesting enough for season one of world building. This is one of those shows that doesn't benefit much from weekly viewing.

Well, one thing I'm certain of is that I will no longer be watching Gotham. No need for me to prop up something I loathe.
Glad at least some people are enjoying it though.

At USG, we have a whole series about our personal games like that: Comfort Food Games. I kicked the series off by writing about Final Fantasy Tactics.

I really wanted to like Final Fantasy Tactics but the game itself never gripped me. The story, on the other hand...

As for games that remind me why I love gaming, my own is probably Sonic 2.

So I was designing a character that amounts to Bayformers Megatron's build with aquatic elements, Flood-like weaponized tendrils, wings, ninth circle-ish diabolical overtones, etc. before I realized Space Cthulu was basically the answer I was looking for.

G-Fex

Gotham somewhat reminds me of Twin Peaks in some ways.

Every week it's killing and murders and some shit just bothers me .. Well it's just Barbara and Montoya that bother me greatly. They're awful

Malyse

yall coping that Majoras Mask 3D right?

good

NOPE. I skip most remakes and my portable slate is pretty stuffed.

Do I need to say what mine is? Oh I'll say it anyway: disney infinity.
Whedon show to a fault. Weak first season as they try to figure out wtf they are doing, season two on is aces. See also: Angel, Buffy, Serenity (aka Firefly Season 2-4), Dollhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom