• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Beards are associated with masculinity and sometimes nature or anti-establishment. Bacon is cheap and tastes good. I never saw them as white things *shrug*.

akira28

what's fake about Raychiel?

I like my beard, I look like my grandad with it.
and he was a cool cat.

hahah re MCC, I am like a vampire bat, except I drink tears. This is how love turns to hate, Microsoft. This. Is how love...turns to Hate.

Also I thought everyone liked bacon.

yep, many a failed vegetarian has been brought low by bacon.

Hmm, I'm not sure if making a thread about this will get me banned, so I'll ask you since I found out that you're white. I was wondering where the cultural significance of bacon come from with white people and also the fascination with beards?

what?

bacon? beards? i'm all about dat

and beards i can understand, but even some of my Jewish friends in NYC were on the DL with bacon.

since when were beards and bacon solely a white people thing? please don't make that thread.

Didn't say it was solely a white people thing, but there appears to be a huge gap between massive appreciation of the fried swine. I'm a greedy ass motherfucker and watch a lot of food related programs and I've only seen bacon themed restaurants where everything on the menu from sandwiches to milkshakes contained bacon were owned by white males and also represented in other media and in some instances in person I have encountered the bacon jokes. Where did this term bring home the bacon come from?

As for the beard side, there's also a huge gap with that as well. Now, I'm wholly excluding ties to religion like in Islam. On this site and other websites, and in person I've seen overwhelming pics and praise of white men with the beards and then you have the mustache and beard clubs all over the US. When I first heard about these about a year ago from a classmate who runs one in my region, my curiosity lead me to discovering dozens of clubs around the country dedicated to facial hair with beard contests. They have women competitions as well and they make their own beards from scratch, I've seen yarn, bees, dog hair, human hair, and even a bacon one. All these contests and clubs were overwhelmingly white.

jWILL253

Banned
I fucks with the new Kendrick track. But I really fucking hate that he rage-quit his own track with basically "What about Black-on-Black crime?"... SMH

akira28

since when were beards and bacon solely a white people thing? please don't make that thread.

that is what we call a molotov cocktail. I just spit out my san pelligrino

everything but her face, think she just deleted her twitter after getting exposed

love your bodies people

I'm googling like hell but all I see are her old pics. The comparison pics on some of the outing pages I've seen she' looks chubbier in the waist, and her nose is a little thicker, but it's not that dramatic...I'm perplexed.

edit: i think blasian is talking more about bacon as a cultural phenomenon. if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the million bacon memes and media references and inside jokes and people who just say "bacon", and treat it like it's the new "the cake is not real" joke. Bacon themed clothes, tumblers devoted to it etc. When most of us just eat it on bread or with some eggs. And then beards as some kind of anachronistic statement of changing the present to mirror the past but still being the future because they are the future but steampunk is totally cool, and so is mustache wax and fake mustaches for ladies....

blasian? am I in the right ballpark?

TGrRFTZ.gif

gvNQXzm.gif

akira28

Alright, I have a question for you guys.

My friends went over to another friend's party this weekend, but I couldn't make it cause I was out of town. Today I meet up with one of my friends and I ask him how the party was, and he tells me it was OK... and later tells me he didn't really like it because there were too many black people... how the fuck are you supposed to react to that? Worst part is he whispered black cause there was a black chick sitting not too far from where we were, it's as if he forgot I was black myself. Am I wrong for being annoyed by this?

your immediate response was supposed to be "and what the fuck does that mean?" -> [dehumanizing stare]

edit: i think blasian is talking more about bacon as a cultural phenomenon. if you don't know what I'm talking about, I'm talking about the million bacon memes and media references and inside jokes and people who just say "bacon", and treat it like it's the new "the cake is not real" joke. Bacon themed clothes, tumblers devoted to it etc. When most of us just eat it on bread or with some eggs. And then beards as some kind of anachronistic statement of changing the present to mirror the past but still being the future because they are the future but steampunk is totally cool, and so is mustache wax and fake mustaches for ladies....

Yep, that's basically the short version of what i was talking about.

besada

Banned
As a white man who loves bacon and has a beard, all I can say is that's a stereotype I can get behind.

More seriously, pretty much every ethnic group that can easily grow beards has at some point in their historical culture.

As for bacon, it's salty, savory, and fatty. The only thing it's missing is sugar to hit on all the things humans like, and a bunch of modern bacon is sugary, too. It'd be more weird if people didn't like it. It's basically magic food.

that is what we call a molotov cocktail. I just spit out my san pelligrino

I'm googling like hell but all I see are her old pics. The comparison pics on some of the outing pages I've seen she' looks chubbier in the waist, and her nose is a little thicker, but it's not that dramatic...I'm perplexed.

thats just internet shit

akira28

As a white man who loves bacon and has a beard, all I can say is that's a stereotype I can get behind.

More seriously, pretty much every ethnic group that can easily grow beards has at some point in their historical culture.

As for bacon, it's salty, savory, and fatty. The only thing it's missing is sugar to hit on all the things humans like, and a bunch of modern bacon is sugary, too. It'd be more weird if people didn't like it. It's basically magic food.

candied bacon, breh. you're texas, you should be on top of this.
its so fuckin good and i ain't never lied.

thats just internet shit

yeah, obviously./carl
so's 30% of the planet.

Trey

I fucks with the new Kendrick track. But I really fucking hate that he rage-quit his own track with basically "What about Black-on-Black crime?"... SMH

Tumblr gonna light into his ass but the track is hot so it doesn't matter.

Kendrick been talking that black on black crime and anti-gang shit his whole career though, so it's really nothing new. Him doubling down is no surprise.

Malyse

http://www.marthastewart.com/326885/maple-glazed-bacon

andthebeatgoeson

I didn't watch the Bammys. Did yeezy just play walk onto the stage or something? Trying to get the story while dodging dress info, Taylor info, or appropriating snitches is unpossible.

andthebeatgoeson

I dont mind looking at pictures of long legged Taylor Smith or whatever her last name is.
That's cool. But in combo with Ziggy a failure and that chubby girl talking about ass, generic industry bull shit and how her face looks like someone punched a bag of flour... Omg, I'm talking like Roy.

Trey

Apparently, I'm the only one not down with the "Everything is our faults" brigade.

Shit sucks, mane...

That's not the message of Blacker The Berry. It's similar to how you're going to have people asking "where is all this outrage when a nigga is killed around the corner by some dope boys?" any time a police shooting makes the news. It's pointing out the hypocrisy of the people who weep for Trayvon but accept or even glorify gangs and the hood shit they do.

Kendrick goes at the establishment and gang violence in this song. He's not invalidating the one by using the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom