• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I'm doing the first mission after the tutorial, and it has me send my Heavy (the only guy that survived the tutorial and thus isn't a rookie) up on a roof, where he immediately bugs out and can no longer move.

Neat.
Oh shit, you're just starting XCOM? Just wait, things will get real nasty, it's even worse when you're actually invested in a squad.

Looking forward to hearing your stories.

I'm doing the first mission after the tutorial, and it has me send my Heavy (the only guy that survived the tutorial and thus isn't a rookie) up on a roof, where he immediately bugs out and can no longer move.

Neat.

Don't get attached to any of your soldiers in XCOM. It'll only end in heartbreak trust me T_T

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

Neat.

Wish I could play XCOM for the first time all over again. Must've had over 2 dozen runs... I really recommend playing on casual the first time through ESPECIALLY for Enemy Within.

Jacir

real shit

it wasn't about him being black for me. a lot of it was about him being black to others

This is how I feel. You said it best. I think he's doing his best at being president with all the bullshit that goes in and around that position, especially in Washington DC.

cdyhybrid

Yeah, I tried just finishing the mission and hoping I could get it done without my bugged-out unit, but I started getting my ass handed to me so I decided to just start it over again.

andthebeatgoeson

I want to disagree about our people going into sports/entertainment disproportionately but only because I hate the implication. But if you hang around immigrant communities, you see how their culture helps them progress.

I suspect we are more distrusting of our own people and it sabotages us. We have difficulty doing business with our own and helping our own. That's a symptom and it fleshes out when we look up to our elders for guidance. I dreamt of my occupation because I was exposed to two, hard working, black lawyers.

Yeah, I just get emotional about it. Fucks with my pride.

Kreed,I like your idea. Preferences are fine but don't form a protective shield from criticism. I can't, for the life of me, figure how someone doesn't find beauty in all colors. Besides ignorance.

Do any of you have shaky relationships with your parents.

My dad and I talk occasionally, but my mom goes for long stretches without talking. She's super-Christian and since I'm only casual, she gets odd and paranoid. So yeah.

Since I'm in here, I'll ask this question which I've never discussed with black people before: Do you feel there's an argument to be made that rap/basketball/football are racist against black people? Specifically, that their hugely disproportionate representation in the black community encourages more kids to go in to those fields?

Let me give this simple example: my best friend is Indian. The most common view of Indians is that they are either 1) Doctors or 2) Convenience store clerks, and sure enough, my friend (and his Indian wife) are doctors. I don't think this is a coincidence: I think culture influences our choices and behaviors.

The difference is that being a doctor is a much, much better field to get in to than music or sports are from virtually any objective angle. For every one black musician who makes it huge, or one black athlete who makes 20M/year for a sports team, there are thousands who never make it and contribute to the black poverty problem.

Is this a totally unreasonable viewpoint? Should we be actively downplaying the importance of these fields so as to steer black youth away from them?

This is true because there's been a visible amount of success for black people in those fields.

Fields like medicine and law are much harder for black kids to see as "I can do that" because the black people in those fields don't really come back and retain visibility for lower-class black children. If every black doctor had a TV show, or returned to talk to underprivileged kids on a regular basis, you might be able to change something. And that's before you get into resources like up-to-date books and computers.

There's also the fact that poor people can't enter certain fields. I've repeatedly explained this about journalism: you'll be making next to nothing starting out in journalism. That's not enticing to poor people - they need jobs that either make steady money or have the potential for a big payoff - thus journalism is not big for African-American families.

Chris Rock said something similar recently:

Fifteen years ago, I tried to create an equivalent to The Harvard Lampoon at Howard University, to give young black comedy writers the same opportunity that white comedy writers have. I wish we could've made it work. The reason it worked at Harvard and not at Howard is that the kids at Howard need money. It's that simple. Kids at Harvard come from money — even the broke ones come from money. They can afford to work at a newspaper and make no money. The kids at Howard are like, "Dude, I love comedy, but I've got a f—ing tuition that I've got to pay for here." But that was 15 years ago; it might be easier to do it now because of the Internet. I don't know.

Did I miss it or was there legitimately no fuss about Mehcad Brooks being cast as Jimmy Olsen?

There was some, but not a great deal. James Olsen the love interest is so far away from Superman's best friend jimmy Olsen.

Controversial opinion: Amazing Spider-Man > Spider-Man

Spider-Man had better writing. Garfield is a better Spider-Man.

I want to disagree about our people going into sports/entertainment disproportionately but only because I hate the implication. But if you hang around immigrant communities, you see how their culture helps them progress.

I suspect we are more distrusting of our own people and it sabotages us. We have difficulty doing business with our own and helping our own. That's a symptom and it fleshes out when we look up to our elders for guidance. I dreamt of my occupation because I was exposed to two, hard working, black lawyers.

Yeah, I just get emotional about it. Fucks with my pride.

Kreed,I like your idea. Preferences are fine but don't form a protective shield from criticism. I can't, for the life of me, figure how someone doesn't find beauty in all colors. Besides ignorance.

Every single time I try to business with my own people I get fucked over. Either they misrepresent themselves or don't behave professionally or is some "hustle-man" type dude that gets me for my cash. I even just stopped dealing with my own people from a business perspective for a while.

Furyous

It's two days before Singles Awareness Day and I'm thinking of doing something special for an associate. I need some good ideas. I got a romantic date lined up with a lass that includes dinner for two and a long night of fun.

--

Swear to the lord, I was about 90 seconds from going Kanye on these young caucasoids. They shot me this look like who are you. I shot this look like fuck your life. Then I introduced myself afterwards. They start talking hip-hop and hear something about blacks and I stop and start to turn around like what? It's two diesel 6'3 200 pounds full of muscle dudes in the locker room but fuck them. They quickly changed topics and apologized. We need to parent these young kids with some of that 80's NYC love. Bring back the buck fifty. Give them the hood pranks treatment to reinforce standards of cultural appropriateness.

Malyse

It's two days before Singles Awareness Day and I'm thinking of doing something special for an associate. I need some good ideas. I got a romantic date lined up with a lass that includes dinner for two and a long night of fun.

--

Swear to the lord, I was about 90 seconds from going Kanye on these young caucasoids. They shot me this look like who are you. I shot this look like fuck your life. Then I introduced myself afterwards. They start talking hip-hop and hear something about blacks and I stop and start to turn around like what? It's two diesel 6'3 200 pounds full of muscle dudes in the locker room but fuck them. They quickly changed topics and apologized. We need to parent these young kids with some of that 80's NYC love. Bring back the buck fifty. Give them the hood pranks treatment to reinforce standards of cultural appropriateness.
I ever tell you that you one of my favorite posters?

RedSwirl

The black people with money or on TV are probably music artists or athletes. There are black lawyers and doctors and engineers, but they aren't as visible, and there aren't enough involved in the urban communities where blacks are most concentrated and most poor.

It's why representation is so important. White folks can be anything because they are everything. And if a black man has money, he probably is being paid by whites. That's the huge disconnect between minority wealth and white wealth. That's power.

Well I came into this discussion late.

Anyway, I guess I can say parts of my family are an outlier. Well, maybe all of it since we don't have anyone aspiring to writing and entertainment. In either case, my parents' generation really made a difference there, and the shockwaves are present all over the community where my mom grew up.

My uncle is a doctor, and is apparently like, the sole black doctor in that community or whatever. Whatever it is, his practice one of a very low number of healthcare options for a poor southern black community. Not only has he become sort of a pillar for the whole damn community, but his kids, while still heavily interested in sports and entertainment, have professional aspirations elsewhere because they see how much their dad makes as a doctor. They probably grew up constantly exposed to the difference between the poor families they hang out with and the big-ass house they spent their teens living in after their dad started his practice. One originally wanted to get into biology but I think now wants to get into sports physical therapy or something (so halfway?). I the other was interested in criminal justice last I heard.

I'm still trying to get into the door of journalism, but that's another story.

Slayven

bowens-6019.jpg

I remember when NPDs were wars, 2000 post in the first hour, minimum. And the melt down threads spawned from them Glorious.

Imm0rt4l

OF COURSE the Indian gentleman who got bodyslammed into paralysis was mistaken for black by the 911 caller. I hope that poor man wins all the money. ALL OF IT. I bet if the dude was slammed but not paralyzed the cop would probably still have a job and the gentleman would have spent the night in a cell for no damn reason.

Over/under bets on how long before some skin lightening commercial gets made to not be mistaken for a negro when traveling to America?

The Black Culture Thread |OT X1| post in community, brehs
The Black Culture Thread |OT X1| Still not shitting on JC as much as gaming-side
The Black Culture Thread |OT X1| a horse is a horse, of course of course
The Black Culture Thread |OT X1| Kicking the bucket's nest

Bubba T

Last year, a white police officer was killed during a traffic stop. It became a big story in MN and several foundations were created for him and his family. They raised damn near a million dollars just from one foundation alone. Several businesses are calling in, asking to make donations.

Black people are murdered damn near every day and it is barely a footnote in the news.

Stuff like this disgusts me.

Young Magus

Catching up to the thread I can say to things:

1.) Opiate is the real MVP (As well as everyone else who participated it the discussions)

2.) MHW is hitting the nail on the head with problems with Black Journalist majors (or lack there of) but leads me to ask a follow up question: Is there any sources or data that follows what Majors/Programs Blacks are more likely to study in?

EDIT: Stamp Honors MIT’s First Black Graduate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom