• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

More tumblrs. I know ishi and sub have them too. If you shy, pm it.

I'm makohi.tumblr.com and popculturesocial.club. I've also made at least one of those text images with thousands of notes that always pops up on your dash.

Oh and I don't reblog like ever.

Trey

How the hell did Eminem become the best selling rapper of all-time? I also did not think people liked the Beastie Boys? I never heard anybody play their shit and I also found them corny.

Him being white probably has something to do with it, but he's one of the most talented and unique rappers ever so at least it's earned.

royalan

Man, that thread in OT right now is just reason #1263528283626 that I have the ultimate respect for black women. The shit they go through daily I wouldn't have the balls for...

Malyse

Fruit cakes looks too hard. Like, I can't make that! I can't afford to make that! Fruit cake should be as expensive as it is terrible. A waste of good rum.

Malyse

Man, that thread in OT right now is just reason #1263528283626 that I have the ultimate respect for black women. The shit they go through daily I wouldn't have the balls for...
Being black is like having your arms tied behind your back and being a woman is like being gagged so you can't speak. Yet somehow the combo is a degree of magnitude worse.

The shit black women go through would break other women. It'd have them on xanga expressing their feelings and uploading videos of them crying about how hard life is.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
if someone says that they used to box, don't fuck with them

just seen a man get lit up like denzel in training day with the hands

you know its real when they don't even fall over after the combo - they just take a knee. like their spiritual self is forced to reflect on what the body just absorbed

Imm0rt4l

I'll check y'all tumblrs tomorrow to follow. Undulating-thunder.tumblr.com is me.

The shit black women go through would break other women. It'd have them on xanga expressing their feelings and uploading videos of them crying about how hard life is.

Man you aint lyin. I had to turn that shit off. Going to bed.

you know its real when they don't even fall over after the combo - they just take a knee. like their spiritual self is forced to reflect on what the body just absorbed

Boxing is fun shit man, the boxing club I use to be a member of was legit. Granted it never produced champions and other bullshit 95% of these clubs claim. Some of the dudes in there *wipes brow*...I'd rather run up on a squad of cops. I got better odds.

AfroMW

Boxing is fun shit man, the boxing club I use to be a member of was legit. Granted it never produced champions and other bullshit 95% of these clubs claim. Some of the dudes in there *wipes brow*...I'd rather run up on a squad of cops. I got better odds.

I still actively train, teach and compete in both boxing and Muay Thai I love the clowns who think they can last in the ring

Him being white probably has something to do with it, but he's one of the most talented and unique rappers ever so at least it's earned.

I guess so if we're just counting his old stuff. Almost the whole list surprised me. As popular as Biggie is, he's not in the top 10. I would think he would be right there with 2Pac. I didn't think Nelly was popular enough to get top 10 status, and I like DMX, but also surprised for the same reasons. 50 Cent and Jay-Z are expected and I love that Bone Thugs and Outkast are in the top 10. I was thinking Snoop would beat out the doctor. I still see Beastie Boys as incredibly weird for the same reasons mentioned, plus I don't remember them getting much radio play or video play on Rap City, 106, and other Hip-Hop shows.

DY_nasty

I'm upset at myself for not investing more time in boxing versus basketball and football. Had more fun sparring than I ever did in most seasons of hoops...

One of my oldhead chiefs at my old unit in Texas was the master roshi of the shit though. 47 years old handing out work to people of all ages and colors. I thought I could fuck with him just by being faster - led him while southpaw then step out back to my other foot (a guaranteed kill for the uninitiated :wow:) but this dude saw straight through my jutsu with a smile and waltzed right into my kitchen the instant I moved my foot.... That moment when you realize someone is 3 feet closer to you than they should be and the duel is already over.

ipZ7uGnbbitkh.gif

Didn't even touch me. Pat me on the back and let me walk out of the ring with the mark of the devourer on my chest... fear-tainted for life.

Malyse

I guess so if we're just counting his old stuff. Almost the whole list surprised me. As popular as Biggie is, he's not in the top 10. I would think he would be right there with 2Pac. I didn't think Nelly was popular enough to get top 10 status, and I like DMX, but also surprised for the same reasons. 50 Cent and Jay-Z are expected and I love that Bone Thugs and Outkast are in the top 10. I was thinking Snoop would beat out the doctor. I still see Beastie Boys as incredibly weird for the same reasons mentioned, plus I don't remember them getting much radio play or video play on Rap City, 106, and other Hip-Hop shows.

I got two words for you: crossover appeal.

DY_nasty

I might be down later on tonight. Had the worst raid ever today playing Destiny. Need some milk and cookies.

I still actively train, teach and compete in both boxing and Muay Thai I love the clowns who think they can last in the ring

Respect. I took Muay Thai my senior year when I moved back to the US but didn't stick with it since I went off to FL right after.

I'm upset at myself for not investing more time in boxing versus basketball and football. Had more fun sparring than I ever did in most seasons of hoops...

One of my oldhead chiefs at my old unit in Texas was the master roshi of the shit though. 47 years old handing out work to people of all ages and colors. I thought I could fuck with him just by being faster - led him while southpaw then step out back to my other foot (a guaranteed kill for the uninitiated :wow:) but this dude saw straight through my jutsu with a smile and waltzed right into my kitchen the instant I moved my foot.... That moment when you realize someone is 3 feet closer to you than they should be and the duel is already over.

ipZ7uGnbbitkh.gif

Didn't even touch me. Pat me on the back and let me walk out of the ring with the mark of the devourer on my chest... fear-tainted for life.

The God Step™

Sou Da

One of my oldhead chiefs at my old unit in Texas was the master roshi of the shit though. 47 years old handing out work to people of all ages and colors. I thought I could fuck with him just by being faster - led him while southpaw then step out back to my other foot (a guaranteed kill for the uninitiated :wow:) but this dude saw straight through my jutsu with a smile and waltzed right into my kitchen the instant I moved

XFLlgfB.jpg

AfroMW

ipZ7uGnbbitkh.gif

Got two of those in my gym

They taught me how to be a switch hitter which became a nightmare for their competitive team

andthebeatgoeson

Biggie would have made it. Life after death sold 10 million. But, besides the singles, ready to die was not going to sell a ton. He just died too soon.

Dereck

Malyse

MO popo killed another one. This one didn't have the decency to die immediately, so they had to wait him out.

I'm either too drunk or not drunk enough for this.

fuuuck tickets for The Interview sold out fast as fuck today once the Houston Alamo Draft House put up times

if anyone wants to add me to steam, fuck steam i hate that shit like i'm G-Fex

Slayven

I am just numb to the shootings now. I don't even like reading about them. I don't know if I am just growing heartless, or it is just fucking old seeing the same arguments over and over again.

I think I will just go in my cone of silence and enjoy some of the ignorance that majority seems to love.

Malyse

I am just numb to the shootings now. I don't even like reading about them. I don't know if I am just growing heartless, or it is just fucking old seeing the same arguments over and over again.

I think I will just go in my cone of silence and enjoy some of the ignorance that majority seems to love.
No one likes reading them, but I feel we have a responsibility to stay aware at least. I'm not saying delve deep every round, but know what's happening.

J10

Banned
Nobody really drinks gin martinis anymore, at least not in NY. They're all seemingly made with flavored vodka.

Young Magus

This is a bad season

A very bad season

Feel the same way, its disheartening to see the same old same old and nothing changing. Few folks are trying to spread the word but its just that, a few folks.

jWILL253

Banned
That Berkeley shooting thread has me all types of upset right now.

That stream, bullshit streamer aside, makes it pretty clear that this is an unjust shooting, if that crowd is any indication.

However, the fact that some nigga just made up a story to the HuffPost and is laughing about the shit on Twitter?

Yo, fuck this shit.

I still see Beastie Boys as incredibly weird for the same reasons mentioned, plus I don't remember them getting much radio play or video play on Rap City, 106, and other Hip-Hop shows.

The Beastie Boys had:

Crossover Appeal

Hipster Quirkyness

Longevity (Licensed to Ill was released in 1986 and they were pretty much touring and working until the death of Adam Yauch)

So it makes sense that they are on the list. They made their money back in the day, it was just a lot of money.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/MyManFly/ send em on.

I will say this, though: Nicki, as one of the more recognizable pop stars in the music industry, had a good abundance of singles out for this record of hers. J. Cole, on the other hand - a B-level rapper with a Jay-Z co-sign - had no singles, and somehow, Nicki debut at number 3 on the charts, while J. Cole has the number 1 album in the country.

Even ignoring Roy's statement on the position of women in hip-hop, J. Cole has always done great numbers for himself. Born Sinner outsold Yeezus first week, too. Cole just has freak-of-nature success on the regular, and this year in particular is a horrible one for album sales.

I still see Beastie Boys as incredibly weird for the same reasons mentioned, plus I don't remember them getting much radio play or video play on Rap City, 106, and other Hip-Hop shows.

1) Crossover Appeal
2) Painting a picture here; the Beastie Boys only put on 2 rap albums during the entire time 106 and Park was around.

Didn't feel it was necessary to make a thread about this but I need to vent about something BCGAF... got some shit on my mind and I want to hear the perspective from you guys. (Long read but I want to get this off my chest)

Basically an old buddy of mine had a cousin I recently found out about. Cute filipino girl. I decided to follow her on instagram which led to her following me back.

That led to both of us liking each other's pictures, which led to me DMing her, to getting her number to us texting each other. This was a week ago and the conversation was really good that whole time! We found out we both had a lot in common and despite our 3 year age difference she impressed me with her maturity. Very intelligent girl on top of being cute so her intelligence killed off the hesitance I had since I felt she was a little young for me.

As good as things seemed, the catch was that she is currently without a car (she's 18 and i'm 21) and she lives in San Diego while i'm currently staying at my brother's place in Riverside. She comes down to visit her cousin a lot so seeing her wasn't an issue. We also had a lot of mutual friends, surprisingly.

I found out through my buddy (her cousin) that she thought I was cute so I thought things were looking up since I'd been too busy to date (i'd also been dateless and a little lonely lol) this past year after getting out of a 3 year relationship back in january. We talked about meeting since she was coming to visit my buddy and her friends and family down here for the holidays so I was really looking forward to tuesday night this week.

So, after a quick almost 2 weeks flew by, I finally got to meet her. Before I left, my other buddy who's dating her best friend down here called me saying that he overheard her and his gf talking about this being a "test" because apparently I was too good to be true so far so she wanted to make sure I wasn't some kind of creep or something when we met in real life. She wanted to see if I really was the gentlemen I made myself seem in our conversations. I understood that since things really did feel natural between us and I wanted her to see that I really am what I claim to be. So I met up with her, her best friend and her best friend's bf in downtown and it was an okay time. I smiled and kept things very casual for our first time together. Not a single bit of awkwardness for the night, plus I made her laugh but I felt like I made everyone else in our group laugh way more than she did... I was definitely myself and I believe I have a pretty likable personality. I've had experience before with dating girls so it wasn't like I was new to it.

Everyone got a little hungry later on so we decided to head out to grab some food at a local mexican restaurant. On the drive there, she drove with me while my buddy was with his gf in their own car. We spoke about some things, and our convo in the car felt very natural. No awkward silence. Then I told her I was having a good time and that we should go on a date soon. That's when she said "...Yeah. Well, to be honest... I'm not sure if this could work out because I live 2 hours away... and I have no idea where this could go...". She had a real hesitant voice. I told her things could work out and the drive wasn't so bad but we should go with the flow on this anyways. She goes "...I guess you're right but I still don't know what i'm doing with this. Also could you not call it a date please? I feel uncomfortable with that term since we just officially met and I want to take things slow and using that term sounds like we're moving fast." I was totally understanding and told her that we'll just "hangout" as friends sometime. She seemed down but I could sense some kind of concern by the look on her face. She did like how I always opened the door for her and commented on that so I thought that was a good sign.

Fast forward to a mellow rest-of-the-evening, my buddy took her and his gf home since she's staying at his gf's house while she's in town. I went my separate way back to my apartment and gave me sort of a half-assed hug goodbye. lol I couldn't help shake this feeling that she wasn't feeling me so I decided to ask my buddy if I passed the "test". He said I definitely did in his opinion but that didn't assure me for some reason. I decided to text her so I sent her a text saying "hey! hope you had a good time tonight. it was a pleasure meeting you. :)" which she responded with "Yeah it was chill hanging out with everyone! Haha imma knock out, goodnight!"

Now, i'm not sure what I think about all of this. I met a great girl who I thought I had a great night with but i'm not sure if she feels the same after meeting me. Am I over thinking things and being too doubtful? Should I still go on with us "hanging out"? It's been on my mind right now because i'm not sure if she's feeling me and I thought about asking her but I think it's a little too soon to assume things after 2 weeks of knowing each other. What do y'all think?

Slayven

Didn't feel it was necessary to make a thread about this but I need to vent about something BCGAF... got some shit on my mind and I want to hear the perspective from you guys. (Long read but I want to get this off my chest)

Basically an old buddy of mine had a cousin I recently found out about. Cute filipino girl. I decided to follow her on instagram which led to her following me back.

That led to both of us liking each other's pictures, which led to me DMing her, to getting her number to us texting each other. This was a week ago and the conversation was really good that whole time! We found out we both had a lot in common and despite our 3 year age difference she impressed me with her maturity. Very intelligent girl on top of being cute so her intelligence killed off the hesitance I had since I felt she was a little young for me.

As good as things seemed, the catch was that she is currently without a car (she's 18 and i'm 21) and she lives in San Diego while i'm currently staying at my brother's place in Riverside. She comes down to visit her cousin a lot so seeing her wasn't an issue. We also had a lot of mutual friends, surprisingly.

I found out through my buddy (her cousin) that she thought I was cute so I thought things were looking up since I'd been too busy to date (i'd also been dateless and a little lonely lol) this past year after getting out of a 3 year relationship back in january. We talked about meeting since she was coming to visit my buddy and her friends and family down here for the holidays so I was really looking forward to tuesday night this week.

So, after a quick almost 2 weeks flew by, I finally got to meet her. Before I left, my other buddy who's dating her best friend down here called me saying that he overheard her and his gf talking about this being a "test" because apparently I was too good to be true so far so she wanted to make sure I wasn't some kind of creep or something when we met in real life. She wanted to see if I really was the gentlemen I made myself seem in our conversations. I understood that since things really did feel natural between us and I wanted her to see that I really am what I claim to be. So I met up with her, her best friend and her best friend's bf in downtown and it was an okay time. I smiled and kept things very casual for our first time together. Not a single bit of awkwardness for the night, plus I made her laugh but I felt like I made everyone else in our group laugh way more than she did... I was definitely myself and I believe I have a pretty likable personality. I've had experience before with dating girls so it wasn't like I was new to it.

Everyone got a little hungry later on so we decided to head out to grab some food at a local mexican restaurant. On the drive there, she drove with me while my buddy was with his gf in their own car. We spoke about some things, and our convo in the car felt very natural. No awkward silence. Then I told her I was having a good time and that we should go on a date soon. That's when she said "...Yeah. Well, to be honest... I'm not sure if this could work out because I live 2 hours away... and I have no idea where this could go...". She had a real hesitant voice. I told her things could work out and the drive wasn't so bad but we should go with the flow on this anyways. She goes "...I guess you're right but I still don't know what i'm doing with this. Also could you not call it a date please? I feel uncomfortable with that term since we just officially met and I want to take things slow and using that term sounds like we're moving fast." I was totally understanding and told her that we'll just "hangout" as friends sometime. She seemed down but I could sense some kind of concern by the look on her face. She did like how I always opened the door for her and commented on that so I thought that was a good sign.

Fast forward to a mellow rest-of-the-evening, my buddy took her and his gf home since she's staying at his gf's house while she's in town. I went my separate way back to my apartment and gave me sort of a half-assed hug goodbye. lol I couldn't help shake this feeling that she wasn't feeling me so I decided to ask my buddy if I passed the "test". He said I definitely did in his opinion but that didn't assure me for some reason. I decided to text her so I sent her a text saying "hey! hope you had a good time tonight. it was a pleasure meeting you. :)" which she responded with "Yeah it was chill hanging out with everyone! Haha imma knock out, goodnight!"

Now, i'm not sure what I think about all of this. I met a great girl who I thought I had a great night with but i'm not sure if she feels the same after meeting me. Am I over thinking things and being too doubtful? Should I still go on with us "hanging out"? It's been on my mind right now because i'm not sure if she's feeling me and I thought about asking her but I think it's a little too soon to assume things after 2 weeks of knowing each other. What do y'all think?
Have Dreams call and talk to her or chill out and relax. Let things develop how they may.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom