• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

So all this shit is because of some people jealous of a child? For real what kind of dumb shit is that?

Black child. Like I said, I can unload a truck full of shit about Miss Wallis. I mean, we ain't even hit twitter yet. Black excellence burns people up. I mean, look how we get rewarded: Halle wins after a degrading sex scene (I know there's more than that in the film, but that's what the fucking press was talking about in the lead up), Denzel wins for a corrupt cop (not John Q or Malcolm X), Jamie wins for playing a drug addicted musician, 12 Years wins on the back of on of the most emotionally brutal stories I've ever seen (and denies Steve his best director nod.) Never saw Last King of Scotland, but that could just be the exception that proves the rule. We can't win an Oscar based on the skill of out acting. We will possibly never win playing an honorable upstanding role. I mean, Will couldn't get it for Pursuit of Happyness or Ali. He'll get it when America see him as something lesser than a noble black man. That's what this game is.
I thought Live got attacked too?
Correct.
Nintendo straight though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I thought Live got attacked too?

It did. But for some reason (speculation is bigger data farms and thus better mitigation process) it is up and running for a lot more people than PSN is right now.

There is talk of PSn DNS servers for PS4 being actually offline at present, not just flooded with traffic.

My knowledge of networking and online tech is limited though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
that's blatantly disregarding how those awards work. denzel and halle both won awards for previous works basically and there was no way in hell will was winning one for ali or pursuit of mediocrity. i could go on but 'make up awards' are real. very.

and the idea of a 9 year old winning best actress or even being nominated is lunacy. don't care what the fuck else is tied to the storyline

Onemic

Black child. Like I said, I can unload a truck full of shit about Miss Wallis. I mean, we ain't even hit twitter yet. Black excellence burns people up. I mean, look how we get rewarded: Halle wins after a degrading sex scene (I know there's more than that in the film, but that's what the fucking press was talking about in the lead up), Denzel wins for a corrupt cop (not John Q or Malcolm X), Jamie wins for playing a drug addicted musician, 12 Years wins on the back of on of the most emotionally brutal stories I've ever seen (and denies Steve his best director nod.) Never saw Last King of Scotland, but that could just be the exception that proves the rule. We can't win an Oscar based on the skill of out acting. We will possibly never win playing an honorable upstanding role. I mean, Will couldn't get it for Pursuit of Happyness or Ali. He'll get it when America see him as something lesser than a noble black man. That's what this game is.

I dunno about Monsters Ball, but these two are stretching it. Denzel got the oscar for Training Day because he's been snubbed out of Oscars so many times before. They just decided to give it to him in Training Day because the dude was supposed to win one in other films. Everyone knows the same will happen with Leo....And I dont know why Ray is even being mentioned.

royalan

I dunno about Monsters Ball, but these two are stretching it. Denzel got the oscar for Training Day because he's been snubbed out of Oscars so many times before. They just decided to give it to him in Training Day because the dude was supposed to win one in other films. Everyone knows the same will happen with Leo....And I dont know why Ray is even being mentioned.

I don't know if I agree with this.

On one hand, I do agree that Training Day and Monsters Ball don't represent Denzell and Halle's best acting performances. But, they WERE still great performances, and compared to the other nominees in their years I think their wins were deserved.

That sounds like giving benefit of the doubt where it hasn't been earned. You can't say they snubbed him for all these roles but gave him the award for this suspect role but it's totally above board.

Onemic

I don't know if I agree with this.

On one hand, I do agree that Training Day and Monsters Ball don't represent Denzell and Halle's best acting performances. But, they WERE still great performances, and compared to the other nominees in their years I think their wins were deserved.

No doubt. Denzel was fire in training Day, but it wasnt his best performance and considering the amount of snubs that Denzel got in the past it's not that far fetched that they decided to give it to him that year because of a combination of the great acting he did in that movie and his past Oscar snubs.

Malyse

that's blatantly disregarding who those awards work. denzel and halle both won awards for previous works basically and there was no way in hell will was winning one for ali or pursuit of mediocrity. i could go on but 'make up awards' are real. very.

and the idea of a 9 year old winning best actress or even being nominated is lunacy. don't care what the fuck else is tied to the storyline

Well

Best Actor:
Nominated: Jackie Cooper for Skippy in 1930
Born: September 15, 1922 (9 years old)

Best Actress:
Nominated: Keisha Castle-Hughes for Whale Rider in 2003
Born: March 24, 1990 (13 years old)

Best Supporting Actress:
Winner: Tatum O'Neal for Paper Moon in 1973
Born: November 5, 1963 (10 years old)

Winner: Anna Paquin for The Piano in 1993
Born July 24, 1982 (11 years old)

Nominated: Mary Badham for To Kill a Mockingbird in 1962
Born: October 7, 1952 (10 years old)

Nominated: Quinn Cummings for The Goodbye Girl in 1977
Born: August 13, 1967 (10 years old)

Nominated: Abigail Breslin for Little Miss Sunshine in 2006
Born: April 14, 1996 (10 years old)

Best Supporting Actor:
Nominated: Justin Henry for Kramer vs. Kramer in 1979
Born: May 25, 1971 (8 years old)

Nominated: Haley Joel Osment for The Sixth Sense in 1999
Born: April 10, 1988 (11 years old)

Nominated: Brandon deWilde for Shane in 1953
Born: April 9, 1942 (11 years old)
That's not even all of them, but I'm tired of typing.

Okay, even if they were make up awards, it's a bit ironic that all of them have to do with black people in negative stereotypes or degrading roles.

That sounds like giving benefit of the doubt where it hasn't been earned. You can't say they snubbed him for all these roles but gave him the award for this suspect role but it's totally above board.

This. Exactly this. Show me the black person winning for a neutral role (aka one that can be played by a black or a white person). Hell, show me the black person winning for a decent character.

We hating on Pursuit, fam? Really?

DY_nasty

i think you're reaching but whatever

mainly because you thought will smith in pursuit of boredom and ali was worth something

royalan

I really liked Will Smith's performance in Pursuit of Happiness. I think we lost a great dramatic actor when he lost the award for that/

Anyway...HOLY SHIT

I forgot Anna Paquin was an Oscar winner.

Malyse

i think you're reaching but whatever

mainly because you thought will smith in pursuit of boredom and ali was worth something

Set that aside then and let's talk about the rest of the convo. Why can't a black person win unless they're reinforcing negativity about our culture? Yes, Denzel did a fantastic job. But why is it the role where he's straight villainous that wins the statue? Doesn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond happy that it happened. But I'm not going to blind eye the implications.

Imm0rt4l

Set that aside then and let's talk about the rest of the convo. Why can't a black person win unless they're reinforcing negativity about our culture? Yes, Denzel did a fantastic job. But why is it the role where he's straight villainous that wins the statue? Doesn't sit right with me. Don't get me wrong, I'm beyond happy that it happened. But I'm not going to blind eye the implications.
While I see where you're coming from, these roles don't exist in a vacuum. You'd have to see what they were up against in order to really call out the bs imo. Denzel also won for Glory iirc. Leo has had plenty of Oscar caliber performances but hasn't won yet because he's usually bested by someone else. Sandra Bullock won for the Blindside lol. Meanwhile Kate Winslett barely just got an Oscar for The Reader, a character who has relatoins with a very young man.

Malyse

While I see where you're coming from, these roles don't exist in a vacuum. You'd have to see what they were up against in order to really call out the bs imo. Denzel also won for Glory iirc. Leo has had plenty of Oscar caliber performances but hasn't won yet because he's usually bested by someone else. Sandra Bullock won for the Blindside lol. Meanwhile Kate Winslett barely just got an Oscar for The Reader, a character who has relatoins with a very young man.

I'm just saying. It's awful odd that black people keep winning for this specific type of thing. Conspiracy or coincidence, I think it's dodgy as fuck.

DY_nasty

basically took my words ^^

its not like cheadle is out here starving...

there are much bigger clearer traveshamockeries out there in the movie/tv world imo

Gorillaz

that is the common response I when it comes to training day didn't think it was his best either

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom