• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT X| Thread's Up, Don't Lurk

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
My niece pulled on my ear and woke me up. I'm looking at her like
dahell2.png

Love the holidays.

Gorillaz

Why do Jobs assume that on your day off they can call you at the very last minute AFTER telling you explicitly that you did not have to come in.

I already worked Christmas Eve and Day....can a nigga get the day after?
Dudes group texting people asking who wants to come in today

I Straight up laughed at it and put the phone on silent

Slayven

This is more you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA1ZXDms1VU

They have a dino crossover episode?

It was a movie, where they reunited all the dinosaur teams and resurrected Goldar( he isn't called Goldar but you know)

Dudes group texting people asking who wants to come in today

I Straight up laughed at it and put the phone on silent

Gorillaz caught that DDT from Ms. Jenkins over that upscaler DVD player, he will not catch an after Christmas fade

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
It was a movie, where they reunited all the dinosaur teams and resurrected Goldar( he isn't called Goldar but you know)

I'd totally watch that. Power Rangers is kinda like WWE for me. I stepped away ages ago, but every so often, i see something that momentarily pique's my interest.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd totally watch that. Power Rangers is kinda like WWE for me. I stepped away ages ago, but every so often, i see something that momentarily pique's my interest.

Come back to WWE, witness the strength of Mark Henry
ibuOyHAV2A1xzI.gif

Taye Diggs in The House on Haunted Hill

Crashing a party could lead to deadly consequences, a lesson learned for Taye Diggs, whose character in this 1999 remake of the 1959 classic is a social climber who shows up uninvited to a ritzy Halloween party, only to find himself being pursued by ghosts who claim his ancestors wronged them. All ends well once Diggs explains he's adopted.
There's no way this is the actual story..

That is the real story. He reveals it at the end of the film. Ghosts couldn't tell the difference for some reason.

why you answered your phone?

Bingo. Don't answer your phone.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Crashing a party could lead to deadly consequences, a lesson learned for Taye Diggs, whose character in this 1999 remake of the 1959 classic is a social climber who shows up uninvited to a ritzy Halloween party, only to find himself being pursued by ghosts who claim his ancestors wronged them. All ends well once Diggs explains he's adopted.

That doesn't...I mean he knew he wouldn't die because he was adopted and then the sun came up and...

fuck, no, it was. I loved that movie once. :/

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy

Does Keith David, in The Thing, actually count though? lol

One of the Goat reasons to escape death on film. He used logic and won the horror movie gambit.

Oldschoolgamer

Of the hundreds of horror films dating back to the 80s (according to this list), they can only find 21 black people who survived....

That list probably has 90% of the roles that consisted of black people actually doing something in a horror movie. Lol. I'm struggling to think of many more.

They missed Event Horizon, but that's probably as questionable as The Thing.

That is the real story. He reveals it at the end of the film. Ghosts couldn't tell the difference for some reason.

One of the Goat reasons to escape death on film. He used logic and won the horror movie gambit.

These two don't make a lick of sense compared to each other. Ghosts somehow know he's part of the family but don't know he's adopted? So they mystically followed a paper trail about the family line but happened to miss adoption papers? Terrible.

Silky

Banned
Is it wrong to dislike people who talk/defend a specific culture/lifestyle even though these same people aren't from that culture/lifestyle at all? Does that come off as petty?

Oldschoolgamer

These two don't make a lick of sense compared to each other. Ghosts somehow know he's part of the family but don't know he's adopted? So they mystically followed a paper trail about the family line but happened to miss adoption papers? Terrible.

:yeezyshrug:

Their fuck-up didn't have anything to do with him. lol. He talked his way out of getting killed to death.

edit: I should throw this on the rewatch list. lol. This and the OG version. I remember the remake being filled with fukkery.

Kreed

Is it wrong to dislike people who talk/defend a specific culture/lifestyle even though these same people aren't from that culture/lifestyle at all? Does that come off as petty?

Give an example. Cause the first person to pop into my head was Tim Wise, so I was going to respond asking what the issue was, but then I realized you were probably talking about GAFers who defend Japanese culture but have never even been to Japan.

Silky

Banned
Give an example. Cause the first person to pop into my head was Tim Wise, so I was going to respond asking what the issue was, but then I realized you were probably talking about GAFers who defend Japanese culture but have never even been to Japan.

I wasn't even thinking about GAF!

yea but music is mostly fixed on finding a legal and illegal sense, but this movie seems to be MIA from everything except Russian sites. Oh well i skimmed through it was a interesting movie even if i couldn't tell what's going on below the surface/outside the wiki summary. It had unusual diversity in it. Including a Blasian, a Whitasian, a Lesasian and some plot twist I don't usually see in asian-american movies

Hold the fucking phone what movie is this?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

he said he was adopted. but all didnt end well, or else he wouldnt have had to be stuck with the lead chick outside at the end of the movie

rude

Banned
Well I'm officially fucking done with all posts about racism on this forum. I swear to god people will defend anything.

Malyse

These Lizard Patrol niggas gonna get hits put on the by the Shadow Broker, fucking with Tor...
They messing with tor? Welp.

TO ALL THE WHITE WONDERBREAD WHINERS:

The whole point of Annie being a freckle faced redheaded boisterous orphan was that she was stereotyped as completely undesirable because of her ethnicity (Irish people used to face a lot of hatred), her personality (loud, vocal, open and honest), and her looks (freckles and red hair was considered to be extremely unattractive at the time that Annie was originally conceived). Redheaded people were often stereotyped as troublemakers with loud mouths and behavioral problems, and girls and women with red hair are often considered to be sexually “devious”, or more sexually mature at a younger age. These were reasons that people wouldn't adopted redheaded freckle faced children who were probably Irish. They were considered unattractive, troublemakers, loud, and had “bad blood” and would probably become every negative stereotype for the Irish one could conjure. Now, in a time when racial representation is (slowly) growing, they chose a little black girl to replace the little ginger girl in this modern adaptation because guess what? Black children are often left to languish in the system now for the same reasons that ginger kids used to languish in orphanages then. Little black girls have all the same stereotypes slapped on them. Black children are labeled as “thugs”, as “ghetto”, they’re labeled as troublemakers and loudmouths; and face it- in white dominated media, as shown above, black is considered “unattractive”.
Black Annie is a true underdog now, whereas a redheaded freckle-faced child would be considered attractive (thanks very much in part to the original Annie, honestly). It is the same story, but with the real underdog orphan of this time.

White people claiming that POCs freaking out over Exodus is stupid OBVIOUSLY have never taken geography. Ramses was brown. Moses was brown. IT TOOK PLACE IN EGYPT. EVERYONE WAS BROWN OR BLACK. THEY ALL WERE PEOPLE OF COLOR. BECAUSE I DON’T KNOW IF YOU'VE FUCKING NOTICED, BUT EGYPT IS IN AFRICA. They literally changed the entire story by using white people, let alone the fact that MOSES NEVER LED THE HEBREWS INTO BATTLE, NEVER CARRIED A SWORD, NEVER PERSONALLY ENGAGED RAMSES THROUGH HIS OWN POWER.

Changing race in Annie was necessary to demonstrate truthfulness- redheaded freckle faced children are no longer underdogs in the adoption world, black children are. Changing race in Exodus was not necessary to demonstrate truthfulness and in fact essentially destroys a cornerstone of faith for millions of people worldwide, not only Christians, but Muslims and Jews too. Moses and Ramses are part of all three of those faiths, and making them white and everyone else white is a slap in the face and was completely unnecessary in relaying the story.

The fact that this is even an issue makes me wanna reach out and touch somebody. It’s Rue all over again. I wanna puke.

http://whattheheckideckipadalecki.tumblr.com/post/105654110444/

royalan

Iggy's Christmas gift to her boo, Nick Young:

pAciiqv.jpg

Rumored to have cost her a smooth 100k.

...but her boo is FOINE ass Nick Young...so yeah, I get it.

ReiGun

Just got out of Annie, and now I'm even more upset about the shit Quvenzhané Wallis has to put up with. Little girl is a treasure, damn it.

Furyous

I knew a dude in college named Wonderbread because "he hung out with black people in NYC". I clowned the everloving fuck outta this dude for multiple violations. These violations include telling me that shit and messing up my frolicking. That is the moment in which I began to question the direction of NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom