• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So I make artwork (mixed media and collages)as a side-gig for myself, and have had a few commissions. Private clients. They are all dark stuff. Basically stuff that is a commentary on social issues, women etc etc. Very in your face and NSFW stuff.

My current project is one about Black Lives Matter, and the criteria was showcasing how black folk are treated in a very brutal way.

I just finished it, but kinda want to get second opinion.

Anyone down to view it and critique? Its pretty dark, but I want other opinions.

Please PM me.

This flu got me, if I don't make it. Split my duties between Manmademan, parallax, and massive duck.

Jandro will handle the ecology, there is to a minimum of one hour on how much I hate carol.

Dai101 and Faceless will handle the food
MwAYJtp.jpg

Enzom21

Jim Crow Museum has a section on black people as targets and a whole lot of other rage inducing info.
http://www.ferris.edu/jimcrow/
https://youtu.be/l4oCL99mrRk?list=UUZT_fgdJ4NYvu70ZDTSm-Jg

colored.jpg

Racism In The Kitchen

During the Jim Crow period a typical American kitchen had many products with images that portrayed blacks in negative ways; these included packaging for cereal, syrup, pancake mix, and detergent; salt and pepper shakers; string holders; cookbooks; hand towels; placemats; grocery list reminders; and, wall hangings. Any object found in a kitchen could be-and often was-transformed into anti-black propaganda.

auntjemima.jpg
In the 1880s, Chris Rutt, who had recently developed the idea of a self-rising pancake batter, attended a minstrel show that included a skit with a southern mammy character named Aunt Jemima. Rutt and his partner, Charles Underwood, decided that the mammy, dressed in an apron and bandana, would help distinguish and sell their pancake mix. When the R.T. Davis Mill Company purchased Rutt and Underwood's company, they employed a real person to portray Aunt Jemima in their marketing scheme. Nancy Green, born a slave in Kentucky in 1834, became the first "real" Aunt Jemima. She impersonated Aunt Jemima until her death in 1923.

At the 1893 World's Exposition in Chicago, Green, as Aunt Jemima, sang songs, cooked pancakes, and told romanticized stories about the Old South as a happy place for blacks and whites. Afterwards, her image was plastered on billboards nationwide, with the caption, "I'se in town, honey." In her role as Aunt Jemima, Green made appearances at countless country fairs, flea markets, food shows, and local grocery stores. By the turn of the century, Aunt Jemima, along with the Armour meat chef, were the two commercial symbols most trusted by American housewives.

A short video showing the marketing of Aunt Jemima and its impact on some peoples view of her today. Many consider Aunt Jemima as a kind, happy motherly figure who made great pancakes. Aunt Jemima, sang songs, cooked pancakes, and told romanticized stories about the Old South as a happy place for blacks and whites. But examine how these interpretations came to be and whether they were based on reality or in marketing. How many times does it take to call Aunt Jemima "Happy" before everyone
believes it? And does just saying she is "Happy" make it so?
Audio excerpts from the "Aunt Jemima Variety Show"
A lot more at the link.

double jump

I have a strange fascination with racist art as unpleasant as the subject matter can be.

Kraftwerk

Life advice, what would you do on the same situation.

A family member has been very irresponsible for a few months. Kept quitting good jobs purely due to being lazy. I even set this person up with two great opportunities, and they fucked it up and made me look like an asshole I'm front of my friends who employed them per my recommendation.

I helped this person out when it came to advice, Food, a room, and a good environment to relieve stress.

I said to myself it's a phase so I'll give the individual more space.

But now something happened that has left me with few options.

About 5000 dollars worth of items have gone missing from my house. I looked into it for a few days, and I can confirm it's the same person.

Now I'm torn.... I am kicking them out yes. But do I file charges? Filing charges wouldn't do anything besides going on their record. As they simply won't be able to give me money to pay me back..

I'm so torn friends. Been stressing out so much. How a family member would betray me after I did so much for then without asking for anything back. Just feel really sad.

TheFlow

Banned

A family member has been very irresponsible for a few months. Kept quitting good jobs purely due to being lazy. I even set this person up with two great opportunities, and they fucked it up and made me look like an asshole I'm front of my friends who employed them per my recommendation.

I helped this person out when it came to advice, Food, a room, and a good environment to relieve stress.

About 5000 dollars worth of items have gone missing from my house. I looked into it for a few days, and I can confirm it's the same person.

Now I'm torn.... I am kicking them out yes. But do I file charges? Filing charges wouldn't do anything besides going on their record. As they simply won't be able to give me money to pay me back..

I'm so torn friends. Been stressing out so much. How a family member would betray me after I did so much for then without asking for anything back. Just feel really sad.
If they stole from you then they don't care about you. Take them to court

double jump

Seems like you're a good person and people love to take advantage. I say take it There, blood or not.

Malyse

It's not your job to protect people like this. Do it so they wake the fuck up.

Walpurgis

Banned
I always thought Aunt Jemima was racist

Uncle Ben too.
I thought Aunt Jemima was just a slave. Somehow, the true story is even more messed up.
I have a strange fascination with racist art as unpleasant as the subject matter can be.
I do too. It's an interesting window to the past and it makes it easier to spot that kind of garbage today.

That is horrible. I wouldn't press charges because they're family (and broke). However, I would make sure that everyone knows what they did. If this is something that just happened and there is a chance to recover the stuff, I would call the police though.

Could you provide more details? How is this person related to you and what is going on in there life? Obviously, you can't help them as you did before but maybe there's still something you can do.

We had this bullshit in the uk. (they didn't get rid of it till 2001, apparently)
tdBnMm8.jpg
That doesn't even look human. Reminds me of my bro, Mr. Popo.

How could you tell so fast? He looked like an alien with a turban to me.
The south. They're on lawns. They where on soda cans. They were in thrift stores. My mother WAS the maid. Her bosses (and their children) talked mad shit. I also grew up with siblings much older than myself. It was a combination of many things, but that shit looked wrong instantly. It's why as soon as y'all start on the subject, I go on radio silent..

Then again, this was a gift from one of the families my mother worked for..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u9svyIqwbOg

PoPo is the only instance of "Blackface" I'll accept.

My kids are/were large into that Pokemon shit. That black woman Pokemon who I'm sure I don't need to describe was enraging to me when I first saw her..just reminded me of the same old bullshit from Japan.

Sch1sm

My kids are/were large into that Pokemon shit. That black woman Pokemon who I'm sure I don't need to describe was enraging to me when I first saw her..just reminded me of the same old bullshit from Japan.

Jynx, yeah?
140px-Jynx-blackface.gif

They changed her some since release, but it gets censored by some pubs and outright not played sometimes.

E: would have spolier'd the image since you hate it so much but it doesn't even work on mobile, so no point.

Top Bottom