• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

Aiustis

Zoe Saldana ain't shit, and doesn't deserve your defense.

Zoe Saldana's thoughts on her ethnic background when she was getting roles like Drumline?

Zoe Saldana once she made it?

Oh wait, I'm going to get called out?

The person playing Nina Simone, who not only was a stellar musician, but a civil rights activist who broke barriers with her actions and fought for the betterment of her people. Clearly someone paying tribute to the great Nina Simone, and everything she stood for, would have some progressive views towards black women within the industry:

Oh

Good way of handling race:
KW.gif

KW1.gif

Bad way of handling race:
0SQs8Hm.png

1363-4.jpg

I know people like that irl.

She is only black when it's convenient for her or when it may be beneficial for her to land a part.
It is like a certain cop who posts on GAF who has only claimed to be half black when he is trying to deny that racism exists. Every other time he has spoken about his race he was white.

Wait, Patrol is half black?

That would piss me off even more with him.

It is like a certain cop who posts on GAF who has only claimed to be half black when he is trying to deny that racism exists. Every other time he has spoken about his race he was white.
I wish I knew who was being put on blast here but this post is still hilarious.

Malyse

I'm really fucking sick of people downplaying the ramifications of a Trump presidency.

Would it have been civilized to put Hitler in prison? No-it would have been an affront to civilization. The same is true of criminals who prey on innocent people. They have declared war on civilization. I don’t care if the victim is a CEO or a floor sweeper. A life is a life, and if you criminally take an innocent life you’d better be prepared to forfeit your own. My only complaint is that lethal injection is too comfortable a way to go.

Fuck cruel and unusual punishment

We're going to open up those libel laws, folks, and we're going to have people sue you like you've never got sued before.

Fuck freedom of the press and speech.

People say Trump is better than Cruz? Not seeing it. Cruz is a villain, but Trump wants your basic fucking rights. Absolutely not.
Who doesn't?

Slayven.

Makai

People say Drumpf is better than Cruz? Not seeing it. Cruz is a villain, but Drumpf wants your basic fucking rights. Absolutely not.
Cruz intentionally caused a government shutdown because the budget funded Obamacare. As president, he could (i.e. would) veto every budget that came across his desk. Sorry, no government this year!

Malyse

Cruz intentionally caused a government shutdown because the budget funded Obamacare. As president, he could (i.e. would) veto every budget that came across his desk. Sorry, no government this year!
Cruz is an idiot, but I think he is trying to do right in a really fuckheadedly idiotic way. Trump is a goddamn bully who would try to sue me for making this post. The difference is caring about the country versus only caring about yourself. Degree of magnitude in the malice there.

Afrocious

Y'all like and know more about comics than I do. So I ask: what are some noteworthy origin stories for superheroes? I'm asking since I want to write a story about a superhero I made up.

besada

Banned
My brother, who is a huge Sun-Ra fan, ran across this and I thought some of you might be interested:
http://www.openculture.com/2014/07/...ist-from-sun-ras-1971-uc-berkeley-course.html
A pioneer of “Afrofuturism,” bandleader Sun Ra emerged from a traditional swing scene in Alabama, touring the country in his teens as a member of his high school biology teacher’s big band. While attending Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University, he had an out-of-body experience during which he was transported into outer space. As biographer John Szwed records him saying, “my whole body changed into something else. I landed on a planet that I identified as Saturn.” While there, aliens with “little antenna on each ear. A little antenna on each eye” instructed him to drop out of college and speak through his music. And that’s just what he did, changing his name from Herman Blount and never looking back.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Makai

Cruz is an idiot, but I think he is trying to do right in a really fuckheadedly idiotic way. Drumpf is a goddamn bully who would try to sue me for making this post. The difference is caring about the country versus only caring about yourself. Degree of magnitude in the malice there.
I care about the outcome, not their personalities! One of them seems ready to let millions of people starve to death.

Trump's brand is making deals, which is pretty much code for "moderate." He's extremely right wing on immigration, but his positions on tariffs and entitlement spending are completely unheard of for a Republican presidential candidate. Governing style would probably be a mix of consensus building and public shaming.

Meanwhile, Cruz's brand is not working with other people. His proudest accomplishment is leading a filibuster. We're used to obstructionism in Congress, but imagine obstructionism in the White House. Presidential veto is massively powerful when your goal is to eradicate government. Here's a list of agencies he vows to eliminate.

Internal Revenue Service
Department of Education
Department of Energy
Department of Commerce
Department of Housing and Urban Development

Those are kind of important! Without the IRS, we can't fund any of the other agencies. Department of Energy is responsible for our nuclear weapons. He's like a Republican strawman from an attack ad and I'm pretty sure he's named after a character in Book of Revelation.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I think Agent Carter will get a season 3. Apparently, her new show doesn't preclude AC and S2 dropped one of the most egregious cliffhangers I've seen in some time.

I didn't think the cliffhanger was that bad.

Maybe it's just because I don't actually give a fuck about that dude.

I thought the Young Justice cliffhanger was worse. They'd been building up to that since the first season, and there was more left unresolved.

y'all seen Zoe Saldana's depiction of Nina Simone?

CcjeQ1yVIAA3LAE.jpg

Ccjms-aUcAAMaxB.jpg

Trailer here: http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/nina-simone-biopic/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#bh5Dnw7nsSqg

It gets the 'please stop' of the year - despite it being only March

SHE LOOKS PHYSICALLY ILL.

There are actresses that are much better suited for that role.
tumblr_inline_nash40QPZJ1s37ct1.png

101012-celebs-look-alikes-viola-davis-nina-simone.jpg

Whatever star power Zoe Saldana brings seems kind of lost for a Nina Simone biopic. If I watched the movie in theaters, I'm just going to be distracted by her with painted skin and a prosthetic nose. Its just a weird casting all around.

Please note that in the above pictures, Nina Simone may seem a little sad, but she also looks gatdamned dignified. Blackface Zoe looks sick /and/ very very sad. I swear down, Blackface RDJ in Tropic Thunder looks better.

Top Bottom