• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

y'all seen Zoe Saldana's depiction of Nina Simone?

CcjeQ1yVIAA3LAE.jpg

Ccjms-aUcAAMaxB.jpg

Trailer here: http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/nina-simone-biopic/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#bh5Dnw7nsSqg

It gets the 'please stop' of the year - despite it being only March

Damn, they really got her wearing modern blackface? She's black, that's enough!

See, at first I didn't have a problem at all with Zoe Saldana being Nina Simone. I mean, I would have never cast her as Nina Simone at all but I like Zoe Saldana.

But now, I wish this all would have never happened.

I'm with you on that. I'm surprised Zoe was okay to do that when they told her about the makeup. If it was me, I would've declined and left the project.

Kreed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcjeQ1yVIAA3LAE.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ccjms-aUcAAMaxB.jpg[IMG]

Trailer here: [url]http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/nina-simone-biopic/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#bh5Dnw7nsSqg[/url]

It gets the 'please stop' of the year - despite it being only March[/QUOTE]

Imm0rt4l, DominoKid, thoughts? #ItsBlackFace

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Daily Show touched on this.

It's dumb that Farrakhan is giving Trump props when Trump wants to ban Muslims as well as target the families of extremist Muslims. Fuck the both of them.

I'm not even sure if "dumb" is the right word here. Trump's current run is something else, that's for sure.

That is what makes this part even more puzzling -

“So when Mr. Trump said we can’t allow these Muslim refugees into America, a lot of people were upset with him, but I know the hatred for America in the Muslim world is building,” the Nation of Islam leader says.

“So in this way I think Mr. Trump is wise to vet anyone coming from that area into America because the hatred for America is in the streets now,” Farrakhan added.

Why was he doing an interview with Alex Jones in the first place? This world is crazy.

Village

I've been reading that thread on gaming side, about the nintendo employee, being harrased by the GG'ers. There are a few folks in that thread, who seem genuinely ignorant to what GG was, or is.

To which, a simplified explination finally dawned on me.

GG is a group of people so foul, that 4chan, frigging 4 chan said " get the fuck out " and changed their rules.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That reminds me, how does everyone feel about the miles davis movie with don cheadle? My impression is it could be good, but the trailer seems somewhat off. Then again I only recently learned some things about Miles Davis, for a guy who made some really chill records he was pretty (righteously) mad about a lot of things.

That reminds me, how does everyone feel about the miles davis movie with don cheadle? My impression is it could be good, but the trailer seems somewhat off. Then again I only recently learned some things about Miles Davis, for a guy who made some really chill records he was pretty (righteously) mad about a lot of things.
Looking forward to it myself. Hoping Don did a good job acting/directing..

Johndoey

Banned

What did you think looks off about it? I'm into it since Cheadle is my spirit animal.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I've been reading that thread on gaming side, about the nintendo employee, being harrased by the GG'ers. There are a few folks in that thread, who seem genuinely ignorant to what GG was, or is.

To which, a simplified explination finally dawned on me.

GG is a group of people so foul, that 4chan, frigging 4 chan said " get the fuck out " and changed their rules.

They didnt change any rules. There is still tims of foul shit there that gg isnt the worst of

Village

They didnt change any rules. There is still tims of foul shit there that gg isnt the worst of
Aint saying 4chan is good now
God no

But when 4chan goes "you can start your own site". Thats a statement. Also rules did change, just not enough to...fix 4chan

M52B28

Banned
He straight.

Though it's odd that people always forget that Star Wars, Marvel, and Pixar are all Disney movies too.
Nope, not to me. The only Disney I know is the one from the 90s and early 2000s.

Anyways, I wanted to talk to some of you about interracial dating.

Back in the Midwest, I had no problems meeting and hitting it off with black girls. Some of them were strange, to say the least, and some were just drama queens, but I still got along with them well.

Now that I'm back in California, I feel like the black (college age) girls here feel like they're too good to date a black guy. I've come across the "I only date white guys." type of girl so many times out here. I don't know what I expected, but I know it wasn't along the lines of this. I think it has something to do with success and social status from being able to go to college and live in the Bay Area.

Anyways, black girls here (black people in general.) are a rarity in the Bay Area considering how washed out the demographics have been getting the past few years (especially since my parents moved to Missouri.). I tried online dating and I've had no success. The black girls that I approached via that form of communication just brushed me off or were looking for some kind of sugar daddy. That said, I basically deleted all of those online dating sites/apps from my phone.

As I've mentioned, black girls super rare here, and honestly, it's not comforting knowing that I can go a whole day not seeing a black person. Due to the cramped demographics, I've been somewhat pushed into talking to the majority, which is Spanish and white. (Asian girls don't give the fucking light of day.) I honestly feel bad that I can't find a girl of my own skin color out here.

The thing I absolutely hate about interracial dating is the fact that some people are sensitive to the discussion of race, but don't mind dating a black person. Like now, I'm talking to this girl who is German American. We talk a-lot (mentioned her in Dating-Age quite a few times.) and out of all of the discussions that we've had, we haven't even talked the slightest bit about race.

I hate dancing around racial discussion. A place the the SF Bay Area is considered to be progressive, but these mother fuckers get so uncomfortable when discussing race. In addition, when it comes to dating, the girls get so fucking flaky when they realize that a black guy is interested in them or that they have feelings for a black guy. I've seen and experienced it so much.

My brother and I had a discussion over winter break about interracial dating and dating and general. He said: "I just stay away from the ones that don't date black guys." He mentions that he can tell by the way that some girls act if they don't like black guys.

Man, this is turning into a rant, but fuck. I feel like a fucking token. These kids look at me like I'm a joke, but when I open my mouth, I don't say loaded bullshit. They get defensive when I say something precise and to the point. They feel like they're put on the spot. (In multiple instances, I wanted to punch this Asian guy in the throat for telling me that "I defy my stereotype.)

Yeah, being black in the Bay Area is interesting.

Do any of you have any experience with interracial dating or having to deal with 'social elite' black girls? I really want to hear your opinions and experiences with their friends and family possibly.

I just want an idea.

(Sorry if this comes off pretty strong off for my first couple of posts in this thread, I'm just wondering.)

Parallax

God no

But when 4chan goes "you can start your own site". Thats a statement. Also rules did change, just not enough to...fix 4chan

4chan didnt say that, the assholes did. They pulled a bender, and im pretty sure they came back eventually.

Slayven

I am putting together the thread for tomorrows debate, feel like I am back in school again doing homework the at the last minute

Imm0rt4l

Imm0rt4l, DominoKid, thoughts? #ItsBlackFace
My thoughts are that zoe shouldn't have been cast in the first place. They put themselves in the difficult position of choosing between light white washing and light blackface. I think the former would have been worse fwiw.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That does sound rough. And your brother is right.

I think the first step is finding someone who will give you the time of day and talk to you. How have you brought up the topic of race before with a new friend or colleague? Women aren't all that different, but it depends on what you're looking for from the discussion.

andthebeatgoeson

Good ass video. I'm a firm supporter of men and women doing equal work in the house and outside the house. But I have some background.

My parents got divorced at age 2. It's all I know of family life as a kid. Went from being one of the few with divorced parents to being one of the many, as time went on. So, I remember a lot. The government cheese and that wire slicer, going to the hood for day care in Camden, NJ, cuz my mom had 3 kids. Living in places I wouldn't even try to look at twice, nowadays. I remember we moved on up to a place in Southwest Philly that is a Superfund site. Untold waste/chemicals and that was the hill we used to sled on. They still have petitions to try and get the government to clean it up. We was playing in the water and everything, not thinking of anything.

So, without a male grownup in the house, we had to grow up quick. We were latchkey kids. Which meant, we had to get quick on taking care of ourselves. Home by ourselves until 6, 7 or 8. We never ate dinner before 7pm. Had to wait for mom's and everything was good. Had to learn how to do our own laundry each week. Wash and clean every room in the house on Saturday morning. Mop the floor, wash the dishes every night, clean the bathroom with old rags/socks. Every part of the bathroom.

Now, things are different and I see it in my kids. We are too busy so we get other people to help. But the kids lose out on opportunities. Opportunities to be a decent human apart of civilization. If anything, a good thing from the lost generation without fathers is you grow up quick. You become independent.

I cook the most in our house, I can do laundry without being asked, can clean the whole house if necessary. I never picked up on repair jobs; somehow my wife is better at that than me. That's okay. I can do a ton of 'domestic' jobs and it makes the house move smoother. I hate walking without socks and stepping on crumbs. But I still have to replace the toilet seat downstairs after 4 months (I'll get to it).

I think our generation will be a lot different challenging the social norms. I was putting the kids to bed every night, for a few years. They come to me first, to ask questions, resolve conflict and such. My wife reminds me how important a strong father is for kids and daughters, especially. So, I'll teach my kids how to cook, clean, (maybe repair?) and keep the house running nicely. Good solid citizens who are well adapted and ready for all of the world. Big hearts full of love and not bigotry. That's my aim. Not beholden to old rules on gender roles.

So, yeah, some of our kids may be 'single' for a long period of time before marriage. I didn't get married until I was 30. My kids may do the same. They don't need 'another' to do those small things. They can survive. It's call life skills. Anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't been paying attention to the last 20 years. Shit's changes and if you can't do some basic ass things, like laundry, what the fuck can you do? Seriously, it's soap and temperature. It's not rocket science or an IRS audit or something. We expect women to work, the least we can do is put a bunch of clothes in the wash and hit a button.

So, I agree. Roles in the family unit are not tied to jobs. Washing clothes is a job. Being the protector of the house or disciplinarian is a role. Sweeping the floor is different than being a Provider. Some of these things were mixed up over the past 1000s of years. Don't get it twisted. Anyone can accomplish a job but only a few can define a role.

Imm0rt4l

M52b28 I feel you on white people being really apprehensive about speaking on race. Dating a black dude, but scared to talk about the elephant in the room. It's like they feel they're walking on eggshells, which they shouldn't if they're an empathetic human being. It makes me feel uncomfortable because you know a person can like you and still harbor racist feelings. Every once in a while you meet a non black girl who's woke af though. Me personally, I'd like to find a black woman to date, but options in vegas ain't the best. Maybe I should move to Atlanta.

God no

That's a huge indictment on gg for sure. Damn.

Village

4chan didnt say that, the assholes did. They pulled a bender, and im pretty sure they came back eventually.
I don't think they will,while i think on some level in some sectors some attitudes i have actually observed...a change. Emphisis on some B and pol are culdrons of elephant shit. Whether those small changes are cause or effect is better left to somone whos better at social psychology.

That said they wont come back because legal. One of the reasons the gg got kicked out because of harassing specific people and cp. Those got nono-ed. So they got 8chan.

Not to say 4chan is fixed. "Sonyggers" is still a thing said and... All of pol still exists.

But something happened. And watching villians fight villains was interesting.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Good ass video. I'm a firm supporter of men and women doing equal work in the house and outside the house. But I have some background

So, I agree. Roles in the family unit are not tied to jobs. Washing clothes is a job. Being the protector of the house or disciplinarian is a role. Sweeping the floor is different than being a Provider. Some of these things were mixed up over the past 1000s of years. Don't get it twisted. Anyone can accomplish a job but only a few can define a role.
Really great post. I agree with all of this. Chores from a young age was a requirement just something we did. Scrubbing the baseboards was my least favorite, I'd rather wash the all the dishes than scoot along the floor cleaning the baseboards only to be told to do it all again because I missed one spot. But I feel like I learned humility and just to get on with a job.

andthebeatgoeson

Daily Show touched on this.

It's dumb that Farrakhan is giving Trump props when Trump wants to ban Muslims as well as target the families of extremist Muslims. Fuck the both of them.

I'm not even sure if "dumb" is the right word here. Trump's current run is something else, that's for sure.
I'm not interested in doing any research. Was there some other angle that makes his statement passable? Cuz fuck Drumpf. Just waiting on Hilldawg to lock up the nomination before I start organizing my anti Drumpf parties. Seriously. I was too young and busy for Obama but damn if I won't organize a get together at the house where we talk about how great Hillary is. I run into too many Republican's disgusted by Trump but hate Hillary with a passion. We cannot let this nigga pass.

CcjeQ1yVIAA3LAE.jpg

Ccjms-aUcAAMaxB.jpg

Trailer here: http://mashable.com/2016/03/02/nina-simone-biopic/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#bh5Dnw7nsSqg

It gets the 'please stop' of the year - despite it being only March

Really bad makeup. Terrible.

Do any of you have any experience with interracial dating or having to deal with 'social elite' black girls? I really want to hear your opinions and experiences with their friends and family possibly.

I just want an idea.

(Sorry if this comes off pretty strong off for my first couple of posts in this thread, I'm just wondering.)
My ex (and first serious relationship) is Puerto Rican and she always defaulted to the I don't see race whenever the the subject came up. Being in the south, black relationships are everywhere and I can really only think of one black woman that did not want to date black men. That was years ago in highschool. On the flipside, you have to remember that black women experience that kind of rejection too. I've heard several dudes say "black women are too 'x', 'y', and/or 'z'". Its easy to get discouraged in that regard but sometimes you just have to keep it pushing and find someone better.

Aiustis

Nope, not to me. The only Disney I know is the one from the 90s and early 2000s.

Anyways, I wanted to talk to some of you about interracial dating.

Back in the Midwest, I had no problems meeting and hitting it off with black girls. Some of them were strange, to say the least, and some were just drama queens, but I still got along with them well.

Now that I'm back in California, I feel like the black (college age) girls here feel like they're too good to date a black guy. I've come across the "I only date white guys." type of girl so many times out here. I don't know what I expected, but I know it wasn't along the lines of this. I think it has something to do with success and social status from being able to go to college and live in the Bay Area.

Anyways, black girls here (black people in general.) are a rarity in the Bay Area considering how washed out the demographics have been getting the past few years (especially since my parents moved to Missouri.). I tried online dating and I've had no success. The black girls that I approached via that form of communication just brushed me off or were looking for some kind of sugar daddy. That said, I basically deleted all of those online dating sites/apps from my phone.

As I've mentioned, black girls super rare here, and honestly, it's not comforting knowing that I can go a whole day not seeing a black person. Due to the cramped demographics, I've been somewhat pushed into talking to the majority, which is Spanish and white. (Asian girls don't give the fucking light of day.) I honestly feel bad that I can't find a girl of my own skin color out here.

The thing I absolutely hate about interracial dating is the fact that some people are sensitive to the discussion of race, but don't mind dating a black person. Like now, I'm talking to this girl who is German American. We talk a-lot (mentioned her in Dating-Age quite a few times.) and out of all of the discussions that we've had, we haven't even talked the slightest bit about race.

I hate dancing around racial discussion. A place the the SF Bay Area is considered to be progressive, but these mother fuckers get so uncomfortable when discussing race. In addition, when it comes to dating, the girls get so fucking flaky when they realize that a black guy is interested in them or that they have feelings for a black guy. I've seen and experienced it so much.

My brother and I had a discussion over winter break about interracial dating and dating and general. He said: "I just stay away from the ones that don't date black guys." He mentions that he can tell by the way that some girls act if they don't like black guys.

Man, this is turning into a rant, but fuck. I feel like a fucking token. These kids look at me like I'm a joke, but when I open my mouth, I don't say loaded bullshit. They get defensive when I say something precise and to the point. They feel like they're put on the spot. (In multiple instances, I wanted to punch this Asian guy in the throat for telling me that "I defy my stereotype.)

I just want an idea.

It is what it is. You're probably always going to have to filter out more carefully when dating interracially. I got out of a serious long term relationship and most of my circles are white so I'll probs be single for a long time (if not forever) since I can't be arsed to do that sort of filtering.

Afrocious

M5, I'm in a meeting at the moment but I want to pick your brain on a few things considering you sound like a black dude in the tech field who's interested in Black Women.

I'll hit you up in a message later, but have you tried volunteering teaching STEM to black and Latino kids? Not to say you should do those things just to nab a honey tho

Wait. M52b28, people are voluntarily moving to Missouri? Why? This state is a hellhole. Though, sounds like Cali sucks too. I've heard the San Diego area is hugely conservative, for instance.

Malyse

Because the first two didnt become disney franchises until recently.

So what? I'm asking the question in 2016 when Disney has promoted and released Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar films, not in 1980 when they hadn't.

I really don't know how I feel about that casting.
I know exactly how I feel about it.
I believe there was an article where Zoe said she really regrets doing that Nina Simone movie.

Sorta?

Zoe Saldana said:
The Nina Simone story needed to be told, and I’m really blessed that I did it. I’m human. I wish I was made of steel and so certain things wouldn’t affect me. Just like everybody else I feel very strongly about Nina Simone, and that (this) was a story that needed to be told. I do believe that if everybody had more information about how this all came to be, it might help. But then again, I’m not here to get the acceptance of people. I’m here to be an artist first.

I didn’t think I was right for the part, and I know a lot of people will agree, but then again, I don’t think Elizabeth Taylor was right for ‘Cleopatra’ either. An artist is colorless, genderless… It’s more complex than just ‘Oh, you chose the Halle Berry look-alike to play a dark, strikingly beautiful, iconic Black woman.’ The truth is, they chose an artist who was willing to sacrifice herself. We needed to tell her story because she deserves it.

So to you there's not a black Disney Princess.

There are actresses that are much better suited for that role.
tumblr_inline_nash40QPZJ1s37ct1.png

101012-celebs-look-alikes-viola-davis-nina-simone.jpg

Whatever star power Zoe Saldana brings seems kind of lost for a Nina Simone biopic. If I watched the movie in theaters, I'm just going to be distracted by her with painted skin and a prosthetic nose. Its just a weird casting all around.

Parallax

So what? I'm asking the question in 2016 when Disney has promoted and released Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar films, not in 1980 when they hadn't.

Except most people still havent put two and two together with marvel and star wars. Especially with no big disney logo on the front. And stop pushing your fandom on the intro.

Aiustis

The thing about Saldana saying that: the story they chose to tell, that she chose to be apart of, is pretty fictionalized and fictionalized in some pretty big ways.

Except most people still havent put two and two together with marvel and star wars. Especially with no big disney logo on the front. And stop pushing your fandom on the intro.

Also this. Part of Simone's schtick was her unapoligetic pride in having the culturally "worst" black features.

Aiustis

M5, I'm in a meeting at the moment but I want to pick your brain on a few things considering you sound like a black dude in the tech field who's interested in Black Women.

I'll hit you up in a message later, but have you tried volunteering teaching STEM to black and Latino kids? Not to say you should do those things just to nab a honey tho

Most of the black guys I encounter are already taken or African of some sort :(

Malyse

Has anyone yet not had an answer? No? Then I don't give a fuck what you think. I'm allowed to ask questions. Get mad or deal with it; I don't care which.

They really should ease the settings on your emotion chip.

Kanye-Shrug.jpg

Parallax

Has anyone yet not had an answer? No? Then I don't give a fuck what you think. I'm allowed to ask questions. Get mad or deal with it; I don't care which.

They really should ease the settings on your emotion chip.

Kanye-Shrug.jpg

Its pretty funny that your lame ass is the only one pushing the robot shit too. It doesnt even make sense

Then you turn around and get ass blasted when someone points out you making things about you. Like you always do

Aiustis

I don't think I've ever like very many Disney movies. I like Star Wars, but I liked that before Disney. I was never into princesses. And Don Bluth spoiled me for Disney movies. I wasn't into kid movies in general either.

Village

Dreamy my favorite Disney movie is lilo and stitch
Lilo stitch is the jam.

And the subsequently series was way better than it deserved to be.

You just reminded me of the proud family, why isn't that on netflix

Also why isnt kim possible on netflix, and revived. She could actually hang out with the avenger in an ep, likr fin and pherb

Top Bottom