• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT13| Kimba is the New Blacked

jmood88

As much as I love Gerstmann, that dude is about as "pretentious" as Walker. Dude is not above saying "Game X is lame and the people who like it are weirdos" and so on, to slathering love on the stuff he likes. The praise of Gerstmann and loathing for Walker is telling when the only difference between the two is that Walker is more overtly diversity minded when it comes to his media.
That's why it's amazing to me that anyone can complain about Austin when Jeff and his ego are all over the place. He'll outright dismiss a bunch of stuff he doesn't care about but Austin will get criticized because he goes into detail on what he likes about something. It's insane.

jmood88

I always found the Cult of Bombcast somewhat creepy.
I've been a bombcast fan since the beginning and a subscriber since they introduced the subscriptions but I typically avoid the threads (and the forum on the site) cause the people are really strange.

Numb

Most dangerous thing in America is a black man with a library card.
Austin Anime Walker

tumblr_inline_nm6vol7Umv1rfmwky_500.jpg

Nationality: Canadian
Aliases: Dr. Walker
Abilities: Is probably smarter than you
Enemies: Ignorance
Favorite game: Fantasy Life
It says right there
I keep hearing about the bombcast, should I tune in?
It depends what you are looking for. Purely gaming? then no. Lots of chit chat and email at the end you can skip if you are looking for just gaming. It is fairly long and they cover a bunch of stuff. There is also The Beastcast which is slightly more info heavy and discussion(cause of black pretentious man lol)

Malyse

Just people in the bombcast thread calling Austin Walker pretentious and an egomaniac. There was also a problem awhile ago when the giant bomb east podcast had a black woman as a guest and people complained the entire time.
Was that Gita Jackson?
This black panther thing.

I forsee bad things already sadly. EW clowning on him I mean really.
Welp.

Yeah man. Fandoms are just dumb fans.

same here.

Podcast fandoms breh

268076-romney-and-super-pac-attack-obamas-cool-factor-will-it-work.jpg

For a lot of folk Giant Bomb falls in the camp of "The only good jurnos with no agenda that can never be bought by the companies or SJWs" so that cast has a sort of deific/pure status in some circles. That cult is bloomed from a very narrow view of the industry.

Yeah. I had never heard of her before but she was great on the podcast yet most of the people complained.

I'm so glad I found the Match 3 podcast and exchanged it for Giant Bomb fare. Smaller cast along with Gita and Patrick's input make for a much more digestible and enjoyable bit of gaming discussion

RedSwirl

Dunno if this has been posted.

Why is Youtube so White.

If there is no thread in OT, maybe one of you wants to make one. If there is one, i'll eventually get to it.

Interesting topic.

I think you may as well ask "why is most tech-centered creation overwhelmingly white?" I think you don't get a lot of black vloggers for the same reason you don't get a lot of black software developers or hardware designers or whatever. Black people have dome some amazing things when it comes to the consumption of technology. Just imagine what we could do if more of us actually started designing and developing that technology. I could barely even imagine the effect a "black Silicon Valley" could have on America and the world.

I've always been a fan of the RT Podcast and as of late I've been backtracking through the Internet Box Podcast, and while there are certain members of either crew that clearly actually know what the fuck they're talking about, some come across as teetering on the Liberal Limit, complaining about SJWs, etc. Just to name a few consistently recurring members, Gus (who's one of the oldest people in RT) has always been extremely progressive and Michael & Lindsay (married, appear on both) have likewise generally been ahead of the game. I'm starting to have trouble standing certain people like Bernie, though, whose idea of progressive is constantly kickstarting new quality-of-life products and shit but will always fight about not being wrong without fail.

I think part of it has to do with RT / Internet Box having predominantly white and (mostly the former) Hispanic members, and ultimately honing in on "white minorities" such as LGBT, marginalized groups with platforms on tumblr, etc. to a point where they have barely any real day-to-day interaction with people of color.

It's aso getting harder and harder to backtrack through Internet Box, because the use of "retarded" and "gay" as pejoratives and racist bullshit just keeps getting more and more common. Like I said, though, you can tell certain members of either crew have been above that sort of stuff since the beginning. Rooster Teeth has a few additional podcasts out now as well including Sportsball, and they had one revolving around the Missouri protests that I've been hesitant to watch because, frankly, I don't expect them to handle that topic right worth shit.

Also, unrelated:

S6jnBBy.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I think you may as well ask "why is most tech-centered creation overwhelmingly white?" I think you don't get a lot of black vloggers for the same reason you don't get a lot of black software developers or hardware designers or whatever. Black people have dome some amazing things when it comes to the consumption of technology. Just imagine what we could do if more of us actually started designing and developing that technology. I could barely even imagine the effect a "black Silicon Valley" could have on America and the world.

Til its deemed a threat and dismantled of course

I was talking with a friend about the fact that not only does visibility count for diversifying these "traditionally" white job markets but actually hearing about it as an option for minorities in school and being encouraged to pursue it would have an enormous effect. In an African family, the only things I believed I was able to do and had to do was be a doctor or lawyer. And school was not much better and rarely if ever broached the topic of alternative career paths particularly for minority students. If I'd had heard that as a black guy I could make videos, analyze media, write or create my own media or work with computers, I'm 100% certain I'd be on a different path today

Malyse

Do you think Civil War (or as I like to call it Avengers 2: part 2) can be the new best Marvel movie?

And what's your rankings, including netflix?

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Also notice how in terminator judgement day they make the microchip engineer who started skynet a black dude

I was talking with a friend about the fact that not only does visibility count for diversifying these "traditionally" white job markets but actually hearing about it as an option for minorities in school and being encouraged to persew it would have an enormous effect. In an African family, the only things I believed I was able to do and had to do was be a doctor or lawyer. And school was not much better and rarely if ever broached the topic of alternative career paths particularly for minority students. If I'd had heard that as a black guy I could make videos, analyze media, write or create my own media or work with computers, I'm 100% certain I'd be on a different path today

This.

Also notice how in terminator judgement day they make the microchip engineer who started skynet a black dude

Hasn't that been the case since Terminator 2?

EDIT: Which would be Terminator 2 lol.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
That settles it, black Silicon Valley has to be Wakanda.
This.

Hasn't that been the case since Terminator 2?
Yea, T2 is called judgement day.

"Don't let those [insert favorite slur] start coding, they will ruin us all"
just another black man with electrical powers.
smh, his name was miles too. Last name named after a vacuum; at least he got to set off the bomb at the end

That settles it, black Silicon Valley has to be Wakanda.Yea, T2 is called judgement day.

"Don't let those [insert favorite slur] start coding, they will ruin us all"smh, his name was miles too. Last name named after a vacuum; at least he got to set off the bomb at the end

Lol. Probably after the inventor of that particular vacuum
who is a genius.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Do you think Civil War (or as I like to call it Avengers 2: part 2) can be the new best Marvel movie?

And what's your rankings, including netflix?

Depends if they really are impartial this time around. They promised that with the comic and all we got was registration fuckery: feat captain america and his not so merry band of rogues.

LionPride

Banned
I've always been a fan of the RT Podcast and as of late I've been backtracking through the Internet Box Podcast, and while there are certain members of either crew that clearly actually know what the fuck they're talking about, some come across as teetering on the Liberal Limit, complaining about SJWs, etc. Just to name a few consistently recurring members, Gus (who's one of the oldest people in RT) has always been extremely progressive and Michael & Lindsay (married, appear on both) have likewise generally been ahead of the game. I'm starting to have trouble standing certain people like Bernie, though, whose idea of progressive is constantly kickstarting new quality-of-life products and shit but will always fight about not being wrong without fail.

I think part of it has to do with RT / Internet Box having predominantly white and (mostly the former) Hispanic members, and ultimately honing in on "white minorities" such as LGBT, marginalized groups with platforms on tumblr, etc. to a point where they have barely any real day-to-day interaction with people of color.

It's aso getting harder and harder to backtrack through Internet Box, because the use of "retarded" and "gay" as pejoratives and racist bullshit just keeps getting more and more common. Like I said, though, you can tell certain members of either crew have been above that sort of stuff since the beginning. Rooster Teeth has a few additional podcasts out now as well including Sportsball, and they had one revolving around the Missouri protests that I've been hesitant to watch because, frankly, I don't expect them to handle that topic right worth shit.
I've always felt some type of way bout RT not having any Black people there. The way they talked about the Missouri protests on Sportsball wasn't that bad as I thought it would be though. I kinda felt weird when Kdin was hired, his old YouTube Channel he used a lot of racial slurs including Nigger on his channel, but I enjoyed his content. I was young and dumb though.

I've always felt some type of way bout RT not having any Black people there. The way they talked about the Missouri protests on Sportsball wasn't that bad as I thought it would be though. I kinda felt weird when Kdin was hired, his old YouTube Channel he used a lot of racial slurs including Nigger on his channel, but I enjoyed his content. I was young and dumb though.

Not to mention outside of Colton the one black intern they had a while back whose name escapes me was called "black [John(?)]," whereas they've got loads and loads of other same-name workers in RT that don't go by the same conventions. It's super dumb.

And I had no idea about that regarding Kdin, but uh, yeah, he looks the part.

D i Z

I keep hearing about the bombcast, should I tune in?

Both the Bombcast and Beastcast are very good listening. The game of the year marathon discussions alone are worth the hours invested. Although, i do think that at times the guys choose their battles with what they discuss in relation to the level of their audiences ability to remain objective.
People get very caught up with these guys being the voice pieces for them, and more often than not adopt their opinions as their own. That's not a knock against the GB crew though. That's just gaming communities overall.

I've been a bombcast fan since the beginning and a subscriber since they introduced the subscriptions but I typically avoid the threads (and the forum on the site) cause the people are really strange.

Same here. Once in a while I'll dip in and read the forums, but I'll be honest, it's not exactly the most intriguing of places, and the level of discourse isn't exactly my bag.

Now BvSvLexvWWvDoomday looks like ass. I'll watch the Wonder Woman scenes on Youtube or something, but I don't think I can stomach sitting through this mess.

Related:

That's just fucking lazy.

This has a few points that i guarantee BvS stans won't get, but will ultimately hurt this DC push for a movieverse.

zeemumu

This is Genysis all over again. I didn't know the big twist in that one because I skipped trailers and I found the movie fun.

I wish they hadn't included it in the trailer. That said,if they end up making a sequel I'm probably going to end up watching it anyway. I need to find out
who sent Pops and the T-1000 that killed her parents back
. I need it.

Do you guys remember Night Trap?
ecc1gdr0pkabnwsbpyz3.gif

Top Bottom