• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Ta-Nehisi Coates ‏@tanehisicoates 12m
Wait is over for digital readers. Black Panther #1 is up on @comiXology. https://www.comixology.com/Black-Pa...luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC9pdGVtU2xpZGV
giphy.gif

Kreed

Megan Kelly maybe be splitting from Fox News

"There’s a lot of brain damage that comes from the job."

http://time.com/4283407/megyn-kelly-fox-news/

It's really annoying that it seems to be "cool" now even for Democrats like Hillary to give this woman props after all the stupid shit she's done over the years on Fox News just because her and Fox News decided to turn their back on the candidate they've been building since the 90s. Now she wants to have an epiphany about Fox News? Because she sees her 24/7 biased news coverage is biting Fox News in the ass and will cost Republicans the presidency? FOH.

Imm0rt4l

It's really annoying that it seems to be "cool" now even for Democrats like Hillary to give this woman props after all the stupid shit she's done over the years on Fox News just because her and Fox News decided to turn their back on the candidate they've been building since the 90s. Now she wants to have an epiphany about Fox News? Because she sees her 24/7 biased news coverage is biting Fox News in the ass and will cost Republicans the presidency? FOH.
word. She's complicit in upholding the fuckery on fox. She doesn't get to act like she has the moral high ground, she still ain't shit.

Shep smith is good people's though.
reading black panther now
Copping when I get off work.

So at the risk of asking the obvious is anyone here a big comic book fan?

Looking to get back into reading some and would like to ask about some character arcs and even hear some suggestions about ones I'm not to familiar with namely Black Panther (probably shouldn't have mentioned that)

Looking to get back into reading some and would like to ask about some character arcs and even hear some suggestions about ones I'm not to familiar with namely Black Panther (probably shouldn't have mentioned that)

Uhhh what? Read Christopher Priest's Black Panther run. And the newest one by Ta-Nehisi Coates is likely to be great.

EDIT: Also, probably Panther's Rage? I need to read that one myself. And the time he replaced Daredevil as the MAN WITHOUT FYEARAEYEYEYAYEYAR.

FYEARAEYEYEYAYEYAR.

A few of us are. Slay is top of the line when it comes to cape stuff.

I'm also a big fan, but I'm more of a general medium fan (though I know a lot about current cape stuff too).

Uhhh what? Read Christopher Priest's Black Panther run. And the newest one by Ta-Nehisi Coates is likely to be great.

EDIT: Also, probably Panther's Rage? I need to read that one myself. And the time he replaced Daredevil as the MAN WITHOUT FYEARAEYEYEYAYEYAR.

FYEARAEYEYEYAYEYAR.

Is that a complete retelling from the beginning or a new story arc. I don't want to jump in at the wrong point. I'm interested in getting this one either way

I'l look into what issues are which with the arcs you've suggested, so thank you for that.

A few of us are. Slay is top of the line when it comes to cape stuff.

I'm also a big fan, but I'm more of a general medium fan (though I know a lot about current cape stuff too).

I figured he was but didn't want to bother the man with all these questions. Figured I just toss them out there and see who was willing to help me out. Thanks for any assistance everyone!

Also anyone know if you have a Marvel Universe subscription if you'd be able to get that new BP comic through there, or do they mainly have older stuff. I guess how soon does it update with the newest issues?

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Megan Kelly maybe be splitting from Fox News

"There’s a lot of brain damage that comes from the job."

http://time.com/4283407/megyn-kelly-fox-news/

A piece from Marie-Claire Kuja about being a teenage mother in Africa, it's short.

http://time.com/4280923/teen-mom-role-model/

More Panama papers fun!

http://time.com/4280864/panama-papers-capitalism/

What is the deal with the Panama papers thing ? I skimmed a few headlines and it sounds like some philosopher legacy type ish.

Is that a complete retelling from the beginning or a new story arc. I don't want to jump in at the wrong point. I'm interested in getting this one either way

I'l look into what issues are which with the arcs you've suggested, so thank you for that.

I figured he was but didn't want to bother the man with all these questions. Figured I just toss them out there and see who was willing to help me out. Thanks for any assistance everyone!

Also anyone know if you have a Marvel Universe subscription if you'd be able to get that new BP comic through there, or do they mainly have older stuff. I guess how soon does it update with the newest issues?

The MU subscription is for back issue stuff.

You can get the new series in comixology.

Malyse

The Panama Papers might be what wins Bernie the nomination. This could be his France, seeing how HSBC is involved.
Is there a reference I'm missing? Like I get why the picture was used when it was but I feel I'm still missing something.

Shouldn't War Machine trash Falcon? I mean he has more and better tech no?
Cap beat IM in Civil War comics, so...

Not sure which one you mean, but you won't be lost reading Priest's run. It's not a retelling from the beginning type of thing, but it'll tell you what you need to know.

As far as the other ones, Slayven would be able to tell you more about the arcs. Hold on, let me shine the Slayven signal.

[grabs microphone]

!!!BLACK PANTHER IS GREAT AND ALL, BUT HE'S NO BATMAN!!!*

There, he should be here momentarily.

BP's better than Batman.

TheFlow

Banned

really big fan.

Slayven

It is really a new beginning, laying the foundation of what the character is today

Not sure which one you mean, but you won't be lost reading Priest's run. It's not a retelling from the beginning type of thing, but it'll tell you what you need to know.

As far as the other ones, Slayven would be able to tell you more about the arcs. Hold on, let me shine the Slayven signal.

[grabs microphone]

!!!BLACK PANTHER IS GREAT AND ALL, BUT HE'S NO BATMAN!!!*

There, he should be here momentarily.

BP's better than Batman.

Appreciate it

It is really a new beginning, laying the foundation of what the character is today

Speak of the devil..

Alright, perfect so I won't have to wait I can just dive right in. I don't mind going issue by issue for these. Previously I'd wait for an entire arc to finish and the grab the collections and just be done with it.

Any other arcs you'd suggest?

Also as for reading older comics in general is getting a Marvel Unlimited sub the best option or ?

zeemumu

Appreciate it

Speak of the devil..

Alright, perfect so I won't have to wait I can just dive right in. I don't mind going issue by issue for these. Previously I'd wait for an entire arc to finish and the grab the collections and just be done with it.

Any other arcs you'd suggest?

Also as for reading older comics in general is getting a Marvel Unlimited sub the best option or ?

I enjoyed the Black Panther arc The Client, even though the villain looks like he escaped from an Apex Twin music video

TheFlow

Banned
foream star- http://www.instocktrades.com/. this is the best comicbook store for physical stuff, and the packaging is better than Barnes and noble and amazon.

for graphic novels and great works that are not marvel or dc check this thread. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1204898&page=3

CMX- is the best digitally store and reader.

MU- the online reader is inferior to CMX, but they have a huge catalog of back issues. The panels will be sub-hd though. They also don't have everything marvel. Like Punisher max won't be there.

Barnes&Noble- currently having a buy 2 get 1 free deal on all image comics. aka this is a good deal

TheFlow

Banned
Black Panther #1. Wasn't sure what to expect besides it being good, but mane was it good. This book isn't just about BP but a nation under turmoil. Also Black Panther's mother is fucking savage.
CfOAfNqXIAA5uYp.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I hate this election, you guys. It's so stupid. Like, everything about it is dumb, and we haven't even gotten to the real thing yet.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
I hate this election, you guys. It's so stupid. Like, everything about it is dumb, and we haven't even gotten to the real thing yet.
Been saying this for months. Really feels like a no win situation.

Kreed

I mean, to some extent every election is sort of shitty, but this one?

FUCK.

It's the media coverage. You can't even escape that shit. Think you're about to watch an episode of Agents of Shield...NOPE...more election coverage you already saw on the morning/night news and you better be happy if they choose not to just cancel the episode until Sunday. Presidential candidate tweets are getting more media coverage than school shootings now. Thankfully Empire doesn't come on Tuesdays.

Slayven

Black Panther #1. Wasn't sure what to expect besides it being good, but mane was it good. This book isn't just about BP but a nation under turmoil. Also Black Panther's mother is fucking savage.
CfOAfNqXIAA5uYp.jpg

Oh you didn't know? Some dudes once kidnapped her and was going to use her as leverage against T'Challa. She laughed in their face and said "You just commited suicide"

CMX- is the best digitally store and reader.

MU- the online reader is inferior to CMX, but they have a huge catalog of back issues. The panels will be sub-hd though. They also don't have everything marvel. Like Punisher max won't be there.

Whats CMX? Comixolgy? Also is there a subscription option or is it just purchase all the stuff you want individually?

I have never seen a black led comic get the buzz Black Panther is getting today.

This is bananas.

I'll be real honest with you, I never gave the character much of a thought because of how many black characters came off as jobbers or at best the dope side kick. Then again that's my own lack of knowledge which i'm looking to rectify.

Always just went with Spawn or Bishop, neither of which seemed all that relatable. I did however enjoy Jon Stewart in the Justice League cartoons. Again I'm sure there has been better examples I was just unaware.

CfOAfNqXIAA5uYp.jpg

Oh you didn't know? Some dudes once kidnapped her and was going to use her as leverage against T'Challa. She laughed in their face and said "You just commited suicide"

Genuinely excited

Thanks all around to anyone taking the time to help me out

Malyse

It's the media coverage. You can't even escape that shit. Think you're about to watch an episode of Agents of Shield...NOPE...more election coverage you already saw on the morning/night news and you better be happy if they choose not to just cancel the episode until Sunday. Presidential candidate tweets are getting more media coverage than school shootings now. Thankfully Empire doesn't come on Tuesdays.

Yeah... I've never had AoS preempted.
#CantRelate

TheFlow

Banned
first off new AVATAR! The avatar request thread stay hooking me up. going to be rocking this til civil war.

Slayven I didn't know the people of WAKANDA go this hard. I am legit going to pick up priest run. Haven't been this interested in marvel character since Daredevil and ironfist. I am starting to see why his mother is savage though. Old lady has witnessed a shit ton of deaths.

Forearm Star- CMX is the common abbrv for Comixology around here so that is what I use.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
liked it. the potential is there for sure. the ending though
reed and co bring back tons of people, but shuri is still dead?

already rocking a panther avatar, so no need for me to change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom