• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT14| Ruthless: The So Well Spoken Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Goes to show when people do the hard work of getting message out there, johnny comelatelys want to show up with their hand out.

TheFlow

Banned
Prince death has hurt me the most this year. Mum going to crying hard when she finds out.

I am 21 but grew up listening to his songs

akira28

Beyonce is black hoe, so she's gonna speak on black subject matter. If MIA was serious we'd hear her ass talkin about AllMiddleEasternLivesMatter. But she ain't singing shit of the sort.

FOH.

I'm with MIA. She throws those bombs, lit. So much flack talking about BLM, you know they would shit a fucking duck if we started lining up for Palestine, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, the Sudan, Ethiopia, Haiti, and so on. Is MIA wrong or just firing shots like she always does?

She has been an outspoken artist and activist ever since I've heard of her.

and for real for real, I would not put it past the magazine to cise the fuck out of what she actually said just so they could get those page views. Slayven.

Enzom21

I'm with MIA. She throws those bombs, lit. So much flack talking about BLM, you know they would shit a fucking duck if we started lining up for Palestine, Iraq, Syria, Libya, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, the Sudan, Ethiopia, Haiti, and so on. Is MIA wrong or just firing shots like she always does?

and for real for real, I would not put it past the magazine to cise the fuck out of what she actually said just so they could get those page views. Slayven.
42Pax2Z.png

No her "clarification" was just as bad.
She acts as if BLM is some sort of welcome protest in this country.
There was no reason for her to bring up BLM. She could've just talked about how there is no movement to protect muslims in this country.

TheFlow

Banned

Bruh beyonce has nothing to due with the Middle East and shit. America can't even treat its black people right.

MIA might as well just said All lives matter and called it a day. because she isn't even doing shit for her whole ethnicity group

akira28

42Pax2Z.png

There was no reason for her to bring up BLM. She could've just talked about how there is no movement to protect muslims in this country.

I give her a little slack for reasons. Her radical background, and her bombastic style. I guess that'll just be me. I think BLM can weather any implied criticisms, and if she does think that BLM is welcomed she's wrong. But I'm not sure I agree with the interpretation. She said allowed, and she has some pretty specific ideas about allow versus prohibited being from Tamil Tiger families and having to stay away because people wanting to kill her.

so I take her words as practical observations more than a slight or even an attack towards Black Lives Matter and recent social justice movements. Movements are coming.

Bruh beyonce has nothing to due with the Middle East and shit. America can't even treat its black people right.

MIA might as well just said All lives matter and called it a day. because she isn't even doing shit for her whole ethnicity group

she should have just said "I didn't see it. But this has been going on for decades so its nothing new. I'd like to see the problems of brutality addressed everywhere."

I'm not writing her off yet. She's on the bottom of the list of relationships to re-examine.

Prince death gonna hurt my dad, he's on a flight to the Dominican so probably hasn't even heard it yet

My mom called me and was like "wtf?!?!" Her and a friend were planning on seeing Prince a few years ago but her friend had passed away.

Then she mentions Chyna and how she died yesterday (she used to watch Attitude Era WWF together) and was like "what's going on??"

akira28

This always vexed me as a kid cause my dad was always yelling at me to brush my hair. I was like, ain't no body gonna notice but you and me

someone will always be cracking on your naps though. we do it for us, not them. and to keep those white lint balls out because really you can't not notice those.

fine ass female doctor called me out for ashy knees today during my exam.

i was like...really?

next time I'm going to come in there looking like mahogany oil sheen.

someone will always be cracking on your naps though. we do it for us, not them. and to keep those white lint balls out because really you can't not notice those.

i was like...really?

I sell shea butter lotion if you want any

EloquentM

aka Mannny

i was like...really?

next time I'm going to come in there looking like mahogany oil sheen.
now all I can imagine is my dad clowning my hair when I was a kid lol. Thanks akira

Slayven

42Pax2Z.png

The BLM is pretty much labeled as terrorists?

Beyonce speaking on what Beyonce knows about and something she can relate to and that is...how Black people in the US are treated.

This is basically like Ming-Na saying that BLM need to speak up for Asians and shit.

Like no, you bring your ass to us and we'll give you a platform but you need to make the damn effort. MIA didn't have to mention BLM at all, that shit was uncalled for. Her ass could have simply said "The way middle easterns are treated in America is horrible and I feel, yadda yadda yadda".

It's called Black Lives Matter not "EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM MATTERS, ALSO ANYONE ELSE WE FORGOT TO MENTION".

In get the fuck out of here news

CgkDlTuUYAA77G4.jpg

Ugh. That's really shit. For so many different reasons.

She's acting as thought black activist don't catch hell for their activism. Like, did she see the abuse thrown towards Beyonce for her video and performance?

Absolute nonsense.

And coming after the Peter Liang shit...I'm definitely not trying to hear this type of talk right now.

akira28

Beyonce speaking on what Beyonce knows about and something she can relate to and that is...how Black people in the US are treated.

This is basically like Ming-Na saying that BLM need to speak up for Asians and shit.

Like no, you bring your ass to us and we'll give you a platform but you need to make the damn effort. MIA didn't have to mention BLM at all, that shit was uncalled for. Her ass could have simply said "The way middle easterns are treated in America is horrible and I feel, yadda yadda yadda".

It's called Black Lives Matter not "EVERYONE AND THEIR MOM MATTERS, ALSO ANYONE ELSE WE FORGOT TO MENTION".

Well like I said, I don't think she meant to focus on BLM except as an example. An example of the worldwide issues that happen to be interconnected. We are allowed to fight battles, but if we got organized and declared war, "someone" would start shooting at us. I feel like there's something to be taken from her perspective anyway.

edit: and keep in mind her comments are about people like her, superstars with big media platforms and what they are allowed to speak on or allow themselves to speak about, not BLM protestors or the BLM movement itself. So #notyourmule may not really apply here. What I'm reading is 'you're allowed to talk about blm, but the racism and geopolitics around the world that America is involved in is still too dangerous to talk about.' not 'BLM should speak up for muslims too'

Ugh. That's really shit. For so many different reasons.

She's acting as thought black activist don't catch hell for their activism. Like, did she see the abuse thrown towards Beyonce for her video and performance?

Absolute nonsense.

And coming after the Peter Liang shit...I'm definitely not trying to hear this type of talk right now.

Yeah it just comes off as someone not paying attention. "Allow" makes it sound like BLM is making sweeping change without a shit ton of racist and bigoted push back and just plain apathy. BLM exists and black people are still dying unfairly, communities are still being treated like dirt by their administration, hell one of the contenders for president is floating on the fact that his constituents hate black lives and any movement that stands for them. I don't have anytime for anyone wanting to criticize or chide BLM for not being inclusive when they literally have zero grasp on the position BLM has in our national conversation in the first place.

akira28

Yeah it just comes off as someone not paying attention. "Allow" makes it sound like BLM is making sweeping change without a shit ton of racist and bigoted push back and just plain apathy. BLM exists and black people are still dying unfairly, communities are still being treated like dirt by their administration, hell one of the contenders for president is floating on the fact that his constituents hate black lives and any movement that stands for them. I don't have anytime for anyone wanting to criticize or chide BLM for not being inclusive when they literally have zero grasp on the position BLM has in our national conversation in the first place.

she's talking about beyonce and kdot, stars supporting blm. she does not appear to be criticizing blm.

i might be wrong.

Ugh, Prince's death is fucking my whole day up. Despite having the best job interview of my life for a job that might move me up tax brackets.

Prince and Bowie in a few months. Fucking hell.

Ugh, Prince's death is fucking my whole day up. Despite having the best job interview of my life for a job that might move me up tax brackets.

Prince and Bowie in a few months. Fucking hell.

I'm over here trying to digitally buy this guys music but I can't, even the record store near me don't have any Prince records. (SMH)

andthebeatgoeson

42Pax2Z.png

Like, Bitch, you can talk about Muslim lives. And stand up and take your lumps, like every other protester, who's brown.

In get the fuck out of here news

CgkDlTuUYAA77G4.jpg

MIA has every right to get together with people in her group and push for the rights for her group. Because there is a pretty good chance her group (Sri Lankans, per Wikipedia) is being treated like shit in the United States. Start an Asian Lives Matter group, dammit! Hook up with Ming-Na and Kal Penn and push for your rights!

But don't expect BLM to do your job for you. Don't expect Beyonce and/or Kendrick Lamar to push your agenda. #notyourmule

Also, Prince man. Prince Rogers Nelson. The Artist Formerly Known As Prince. Just...Prince. Rest In Peace. He was one of the greats. My teenage years would not have been the same without him.

Malyse

But I thought all lives matter.

jWILL253

Banned
I'm trying to add new blood to the BCT Twitter chat we got going... which includes members like *****_ (formerly known as "Retro_"), TheBlackMarvel, ViewtifulJC, Trey, Aya, Sub-Zero at a Starbucks, and permanent CPT member Moris of SLAENT fame.

Trust me, it's lit.

D i Z

Oh? She's looking out for South Asia? Hmm..

Yeah, I'm not so sure about that one. Nothing would indicate that kind of support from her, one way or the other. BUT since she hasn't gone out of her way to clarify that, one could assume maybe NOT.

Scarlett Johanson and Emma Stone could start Asian Lives Matter

hotfire.gif

I'm trying to add new blood to the BCT Twitter chat we got going... which includes members like *****_ (formerly known as "Retro_"), TheBlackMarvel, ViewtifulJC, Trey, Aya, Sub-Zero at a Starbucks, and permanent CPT member Moris of SLAENT fame.

Trust me, it's lit.

That was a general invitation? Seemed like you were calling for specifics and skipping the buckets full of plottin' niggas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom