• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

Oh yeah. I should check if my library has any of these. I haven't been to the library in....years. I generally read ebooks now or buy them myself, but I haven't been able to for....a long while.

Thanks for reminding me.

You might also see if your library has ebook copies. My library often has copies, though unfortunately because of ridiculous licensing nonsense they often only have, like, one or two sometimes two digital copies to lend.

But it's worth checking to see what's available if you like ebooks better.

Enjoy those bedbugs and roaches.

It's a library; not a house of ill repute!

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Just watched moonlight. I'm conflicted. I think its somewhat overrated. And one of those By us, but not for us movies. It could have easily been replaced with white people in poverty and had the same effect for me.

Great acting and camera work though.

LionPride

Banned
Was Moonlight meant to feel "black" or was it meant to put black people in situations we always see white people in? You don't see a gay love story that tells the story of a young man, really ever with black people. White people get that shit all the time. It was a movie with black people in roles we see all the time.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Was Moonlight meant to feel "black" or was it meant to put black people in situations we always see white people in? You don't see a gay love story that tells the story of a young man, really ever with black people. White people get that shit all the time. It was a movie with black people in roles we see all the time.
That last sentence is exactly how i felt.

It wasnt a bad movie though.

Edit:
You werent wrong... beautiful thing
this movie description isnt far off.
Shy Jamie (Glen Berry) and athletic Ste (Scott Neal) are teen boys who live near each other in the London projects. Both boys think they could be gay, and finally explore their feelings when Ste is allowed to stay over at Jamie's place after an incident with his abusive father. There, the boys grow close and open themselves up to the idea of homosexuality, while Jamie's caring mother, Sandra (Linda Henry), and quirky teen neighbor, Leah (Tameka Empson), offer much needed emotional support.

Zekes!

Discrimination tends to cancel out other forms of discrimination by having the new form of discrimination point out more prominent differences.

First is economic divides and politics

Then gender

Then minor region differences (like accents)

Then major region differences (skin color and culture)

Then galactic level (District 9)

I just had to have a sad laugh at the situation. Like this White chick was damn near in tears over witnessing this group of Middle Eastern dudes experience racism, but then drops some subtle and casual racism about the Indigenous dude. Absolutely zero self awareness

Nudull

Banned
Man, I'm so tempted to go catch a local matinee for the new Yugioh movie. From what I'm hearing, it's basically the 4kids cast cutting loose without the censors, and it sounds amazing.

Dereck

I think it used cliches that any race could understand, but nothing felt truly black about it. Fences had that affect on me. No way you could replace those characters with white ones.

Agreed.

I can't believe he actually did it, he actually signed an executive order to halt the refugee program and visa entry.

And we still don't know what the hell "extreme vetting" is supposed to be.
--
And John Hurt died? Fuck.

"Extreme Vetting" is a combo of the Paperbag Test and asking the refugee if they are Christian. Plus a "gut feeling".

The stories of black LGBTQIA are so erased in this country that a movie about a gay black man doesn't feel black, huh? This is why intersectionality is so important.

andthebeatgoeson

Oh, I missed that a new thread had been made <3

How the hell did y'all fill up 850+ posts in under 48 hours?
Chairman cheeto got us amped. That and today i learned Wikipedia was just propaganda and i should believe nothing about the tulsa race riots. And i should go to Sweden to plan the revolution. It won't be televised cuz it starts in a place that's too cold. As a matter of fact, it's been going on for hundreds of years, just no one has televised it because it's too fricken cold.

And Jerry Rice, go kick rocks.

Sch1sm

I can't believe he actually did it, he actually signed an executive order to halt the refugee program and visa entry.

And we still don't know what the hell "extreme vetting" is supposed to be.
--
And John Hurt died? Fuck.

Not even surprised. Seems like civil lawyers are going to be taking it to the Supreme Court, since Trump's been cited to say that minority religious groups (Christians, iirc) within majority Muslim countries won't have an experience as bad as their counterparts.

----

Morning, BCT.

Malyse

We sure is getting the trash driveby posts this go round. Is it Trump or is it BHM being so close? Who am I kidding, I'm sure it's both.

Infinite

Morning peoples!

Does anyone notice the growing sentiment on Gaf and elsewhere where folks are expressing: "don't call what I did racist because we're self-censoring and losing the real fights like climate change and automation ." Meanwhile you got that pipeline going through native lands, inner city children developing ashtma because of pollution since white flight, food deserts, and minority retail workers in urban areas losing their jobs or their hours to self checkout terminals.

andthebeatgoeson

jerry_rice.png

The general's fried chicken, sure butt kickin.

Put this in the OP and ask people what they think. It's an ink blot test. What do you see?

Morning peoples!

Does anyone notice the growing sentiment on Gaf and elsewhere where folks are expressing: "don't call what I did racist because we're self-censoring and losing the real fights like climate change and automation ." Meanwhile you got that pipeline going through native lands, inner city children developing ashtma because of pollution since white flight, food deserts, and minority retail workers in urban areas losing their jobs or their hours to self checkout terminals.

Don't know that that's new at all..you're possibly just noticing it more now. Folks been on that bullshit for a good while.

C) Both.
D) All of the above.
E) C and D.

Look at that..FIVE! How you be, sis?

jerry_rice.png

The general's fried chicken, sure butt kickin.

https://youtu.be/E0-RpST3qLw

Sch1sm

Morning peoples!

I'd say it's just more noticeable and prevalent now considering circumstance. Recent elections, rise in threads of this nature, the works.

My current favourite thread is this one about engaging Christians, as if we have to baby them so they understand that their religious views swaying their votes is harmful more than not. Because, y'know, they deserve benefit of the doubt despite voting a party line because it's pro life and against homosexuality. OP out here defending them like other policies aren't slipping through as a result of church and state mixing.

At this point, I've accepted political threads are a mess with two extreme sides that will never see eye to eye. Few minds will be changed, the rest will be reinforced because of how arguments break out. &#128530;

Good, honestly. I'm chilling. Woke up early to get my work done. Gonna start studying for upcoming midterms real soon. You know how it goes. You?

Infinite

Don't know that that's new at all..you're possibly just noticing it more now. Folks been on that bullshit for a good while.

https://youtu.be/E0-RpST3qLw
You right but I'm definitely noticing it a lot more. I just find it insulting to lecture black people about climate change because we've been affected by it long before Al Gore made that movie and no one gave a shit. Minorities are the ones losing their jobs and hours due to automarion for a while now. Natives are having a pipeline built through their land because they couldn't put it through anyone else's land. Like don't lecture us about this now because the problem is starting to affect you.

Good, honestly. I'm chilling. Woke up early to get my work done. Gonna start studying for upcoming midterms real soon. You know how it goes. You?

Not too shabby..just relaxing with my girl watching some &#128250;.

You right but I'm definitely noticing it a lot more. I just find it insulting to lecture black people about climate change because we've been affected by it long before Al Gore made that movie and no one gave a shit. Minorities are the ones losing their jobs and hours due to automarion for a while now. Natives are having a pipeline built through their land because they couldn't put it through anyone else's land. Like don't lecture us about this now because the problem is starting to affect you.

Agreed..

Late to the spades talk but I also never played that.

But Dominoes? Now that I can fuck with even though it's Mario Kart for the non-gaming old Haitians.

Gig

One man's junk is another man's treasure
It's been a while since I've done this.

Where you're from - Mohawk Valley New York
Where you live - Mohawk Valley New York
What is your age? - 30
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Caucasian Mother, Black Father
Do you know your roots - On my mother's side
Favorite musical genre - hard rock, classic rock, metal
Your profession/major/career interest - ?????? I got nothing
Your religious affiliation - none
Hobbies - video games, reading
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - This is meaningless where I live, it's a fried chicken desert here
Marvel or DC? - DC
Favorite superhero? - Superman
Anime or Nah? - nope
Favorite sport and team? - NFL, New York Giants
What's your favorite Disney movie? - I don't have one
What's your favorite video game and genre? - EDF EDF EDF!!!!!!, FPS

It's been a while since I've done this.

Where you're from - Mohawk Valley New York
Where you live - Mohawk Valley New York
What is your age? - 30
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Caucasian Mother, Black Father
Do you know your roots - On my mother's side
Favorite musical genre - hard rock, classic rock, metal
Your profession/major/career interest - ?????? I got nothing
Your religious affiliation - none
Hobbies - video games, reading
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - This is meaningless where I live, it's a fried chicken desert here
Marvel or DC? - DC
Favorite superhero? - Superman
Anime or Nah? - nope
Favorite sport and team? - NFL, New York Giants
What's your favorite Disney movie? - I don't have one
What's your favorite video game and genre? - EDF EDF EDF!!!!!!, FPS

Welcome welcome. What's your favorite book?

You take that back!

C'mon son. Those lips look so bleh and you know it!

Glad to have daily conformation that our President has zero respect or consideration for the country he leads.

Hey! It's going to be fucking great!

They'll be new pipeline jobs for everyone! These natives need to pick themselves up by their boot straps, get of their horses and start digging for oil!

And fuck avocados!!

:S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom