• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funny story.

Yesterday I went snowboarding in Warwick ny.
Over heard some kids on the lift chanting:

"TRUMP! TRUMP!! TRUMP!!"
"WHOSE GONNA BUILD THAT WALL"
"MEXICO! MEXICO!! MEXICO!!"
( something along those lines)

It struck me at that point that something I kept trying to mention to people is actually happening. This dudes president and kids all over are being taught that what he's saying is correct and just. That's some shit.

Slayven

You wanna know whose reaction I wanna see? There was some user on here that hated Hillary, just because Bernie lost, to the point that they voted for Trump to stick it to her just because. And now that Trump is showing his hand, which he was doing from the get go, I wonder how they feel right now....

They too busy reliving the primary to live in reality. Every thread just goes back to how Hilalry is the devil. Th country is burning and they still want to talk about "Neo Liberals".

"Neo Liberals" only lets me know who doesn't really care or who thinks it is just a game

Funny story.

"TRUMP! TRUMP!! TRUMP!!"

It struck me at that point that something I kept trying to mention to people is actually happening. This dudes president and kids all over are being taught that what he's saying is correct and just. That's some shit.

We really are in Bizarro world.

Also, does anyone have a sneaking suspicion that Trump is going down a list of minorities to oppress? And that we might be next? Because that thought crossed my mind today and I almost cried at the thought of it....fuck. But who really knows what that orange is gonna do.

Also, does anyone have a sneaking suspicion that Trump is going down a list of minorities to oppress? And that we might be next? Because that thought crossed my mind today and I almost cried at the thought of it....fuck. But who really knows what that orange is gonna do.

With Bannon in his ear everyone's on the list. We at least have the "benefit" of being ready for it

Slayven

Nothing will happen until the money starts being fucked with. When GOP donors start putting pressure on Ryan and crew. Until then we can only hope

I'd like to see him and some Hoteps go toe to toe.

Real talk that "trump supporters do you regret it now" thread makes me so mad.

Simply because of ALL of them going "well I don't come here to talk about politics, I'm better than that I just come here to talk about games and sports and blah blah blah" trying to weasel their way out of owning how fucking selfish they all fucking are.

They too busy reliving the primary to live in reality. Every thread just goes back to how Hilalry is the devil. Th country is burning and they still want to talk about "Neo Liberals".

"Neo Liberals" only lets me know who doesn't really care or who thinks it is just a game

Man if I hear neoliberalism one more god damn time.

Real talk that "trump supporters do you regret it now" thread makes me so mad.

Simply because of ALL of them going "well I don't come here to talk about politics, I'm better than that I just come here to talk about games and sports and blah blah blah" trying to weasel their way out of owning how fucking selfish they all fucking are.

Now you know why I rarely leave Community side. IQs tend to drop by the double digits in Gaming/OT.

Zekes!

Funny story.

"TRUMP! TRUMP!! TRUMP!!"

I work with kids on the autism spectrum and one of them is constantly running around talking about supporting Trump (and Kanye 2020). It's hard because I'm 95% sure he doesn't actually support Trump, but is stuck on and enamoured by all the memes and shit surrounding him that he sees online. They all spend too much time on the internet and simply repeat what they see and read and even more impressionable than kids generally are. I keep wanting to sit him down and talk to him about it, but I don't really get the chance.

Some of the kids couldn't name our current prime minister (Justin Trudeau) but knew all about Bernie, Trump, and Hillary

Briton and the USA is going to go on the global "Who's man is this?" list. And they need to

We better get to praying China ups its human rights record with the quickness.

Though at this point, even with their persecution of the Uyghurs and Tibetans. Shit's basically comparable to here now.

Sch1sm

makes me sick because... the more of this, the more racist English people will feel empowered

Least your media isn't US media. It's already infiltrated Canada. I see more American news than Canadian. I have to genuinely hunt for news in my own country, because the campaign and presidency of Trump is being shoved down our throats in every possible place it can be.

It's mostly verbal, now. My own mother's gotten shit at work from a customer in this time (it's not the first, and a lot of them are pre-Trump anyway), but I've noticed among friends on my feeds that it's a lot more common now than ever. Can only see it turning physical again soon, in the same way various attacks on France have caused mosque burnings and physical assault in recency.

Just you wait, just yoooouuuuuu wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

I'm actually rather concerned about Canadian politics now, post Trudeau, since the Conservative leader race is looking rather bleak. Harper was already some proto-fascist shit with an anti-Islamic, anti-rehabilitation, hard on crime attitude type of dude, and I expect little else from the person who follows him since he paved the way for Conservatives (considering the last Conservative federal government before him ended in 93, and that was a very different political climate).

I will be the Harriet Tubman of horse jokes, they can kill me but one time. But clowning you will make me immortal.

You just knew I'd do a web search, didn't you?

B7pdpSDIcAAREcw.jpg

With bonus Tupac.

zeemumu

A bizarro world would be one where people didn't feel the need to constantly screw each other over

We better get to praying China ups its human rights record with the quickness.

Though at this point, even with their persecution of the Uyghurs and Tibetans. Shit's basically comparable to here now.

Right. Whenever some white liberal brings up China's human rights record on Tibetans, I just respond "tell me, how good are we treating indigenous people right now?"

Malyse

Black History Month 2017 |OT| - Peeking over Hidden Fences
or
Black History Month 2017 |OT| - Party like it's 1949
(1949 is the year George Orwell's 1984 was published, but I'm not attached to that particular year)

Or maybe All Months Matter

I'm literally about to say fuck it, walk downtown and just go to a club somewhere and just talk to a girl. Might as well have some guts and do it now before Trump fucks up even more now.

Zekes!

Least your media isn't US media. It's already infiltrated Canada. I see more American news than Canadian. I have to genuinely hunt for news in my own country, because the campaign and presidency of Trump is being shoved down our throats in every possible place it can be.

It's mostly verbal, now. My own mother's gotten shit at work from a customer in this time (it's not the first, and a lot of them are pre-Trump anyway), but I've noticed among friends on my feeds that it's a lot more common now than ever. Can only see it turning physical again soon, in the same way various attacks on France have caused mosque burnings and physical assault in recency.

Just you wait, just yoooouuuuuu wait. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

---

I'm actually rather concerned about Canadian politics now, post Trudeau, since the Conservative leader race is looking rather bleak. Harper was already some proto-fascist shit with an anti-Islamic, anti-rehabilitation, hard on crime attitude type of dude, and I expect little else from the person who follows him since he paved the way for Conservatives (considering the last Conservative federal government before him ended in 93, and that was a very different political climate).

I said it in a different thread, but I think the next election will be our litmus test. Trudeau's stance on refugees and immigrants is a welcome bit of positivity in the midst of this shit storm, which I find refreshing. But I'm concerned as well about the future political discourse in this country. I just hope with Trudeau out there trying to embrace diversity and taking a humane stance on shit, that we as a country can rally behind that. Lord knows we like to act smug about being peacekeepers and shit like that.

And yeah, Indigenous issues continue to be a major problem and won't be getting any better any time soon, but I try to be hopeful that there is some slow, but forward moving steps being taken.

Sch1sm

That's depressing to hear.

It's been the case for all North American politics, for a long time. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, as is, but he broke some promises already. The first one had to do with adopting the UN policy that's called "United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples." Then there's the failed promise to give Natives the right to veto any natural resource development, and lifting the cap on funding for First Nations funding.

What'll really drive them away are his environmental decisions currently, despite it not breaking an actual promise. Not one, but two pipelines. Enbridge and Kinder Morgan's. In denying a third, he just barely managed to scrape by since he avoided Northwest BC and the Great Bear Rainforest. Lots of outrage there, still, and largely from those groups.

He's done some good, at the very least. Allocated funding (69 million over 3 years) toward mental health services for Indigenous peoples. Still a while left, though, and with a majority government maybe he'll manage to make good on his plans in this department. Some he's working toward right now are: ensuring clean water availability (a lot of them were screwed by oil in Alberta), funding the Freedom Road project (which grants residents of Shoal Lake access to, y'know, the world, as they're currently isolated), and meeting with various Native Leaders once per year.

If you're ever curious about how he's doing with keeping his promises, there's actually a site that keeps track of all his campaign plans/promises which marks it as failed/in progress/complete, and cites them with relevant news articles. You can also specify which category you'd like to see (economical, culture, environment, gov, immigration, indigenous peoples, security).

Current standing:

67/233 in progress
38/233 achieved
28/233 broken

I said it in a different thread, but I think the next election will be our litmus test. Trudeau's stance on refugees and immigrants is a welcome bit of positivity in the midst of this shit storm, which I find refreshing. But I'm concerned as well about the future political discourse in this country. I just hope with Trudeau out there trying to embrace diversity and taking a humane stance on shit, that we as a country can rally behind that. Lord knows we like to act smug about being peacekeepers and shit like that.

And yeah, Indigenous issues continue to be a major problem and won't be getting any better any time soon, but I try to be hopeful that there is some slow, but forward moving steps being taken.

Oh, absolutely. And with our southern neighbours' current standing, there's going to be a real uphill climb for him in combatting the rhetoric we're being fed come the next election.

Seems he's doing okay with them, but his environmental decisions are going to be a deal breaker in getting the Aboriginal vote again unless he makes good on what's remaining.

Trump, Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are making the block hot for everyone, like they said they would. Black folk been warning the country for decades about the evils of White supremacy, but got shushed, ignored or told not be so polarising. Now American rot and decay is on display for the whole world to see.

andthebeatgoeson

Not even the packaged ones from grocery stores?
Nope
Should fix that. Shit is delicious.
I always associated it with the quick noodles. I've never paid attention to it at any other restaurant. We always go to Thai, Chinese, Japanese or Vietnamese restaurants. Or the fusion restaurants where it seems like somebody got married: Thai-Japanese combo.

But naw, never had ramen. I'll have to try out out.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I'm literally about to say fuck it, walk downtown and just go to a club somewhere and just talk to a girl. Might as well have some guts and do it now before Trump fucks up even more now.

You need Trump getting elected to be the driving force for you to get up and talk to women?

I'm either missing an inside joke or this is how he got so many votes

akira28

Unless you're Native, then you're pretty ain't shit.

yep, he's Canadian alright.

Trump, Steve Bannon and Stephen Miller are making the block hot for everyone, like they said they would. Black folk been warning the country for decades about the evils of White supremacy, but got shushed, ignored or told not be so polarising. Now American rot and decay is on display for the whole world to see.

History is going to reflect that America showed its ass, and even if we're blessed enough to climb out of this pit in the next 4 years, the damage is done. Trust is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom