• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT17| - Thanks, Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

Oh, absolutely. And with our southern neighbours' current standing, there's going to be a real uphill climb for him in combatting the rhetoric we're being fed come the next election.

Seems he's doing okay with them, but his environmental decisions are going to be a deal breaker in getting the Aboriginal vote again unless he makes good on what's remaining.

Yeah definitely. Trudeau is really going to need to step up more and it's gonna have to be now.

Shy

It's been the case for all North American politics, for a long time. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt, as is, but he broke some promises already. The first one had to do with adopting the UN policy that's called "United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples." Then there's the failed promise to give Natives the right to veto any natural resource development, and lifting the cap on funding for First Nations funding.

What'll really drive them away are his environmental decisions currently, despite it not breaking an actual promise. Not one, but two pipelines. Enbridge and Kinder Morgan's. In denying a third, he just barely managed to scrape by since he avoided Northwest BC and the Great Bear Rainforest. Lots of outrage there, still, and largely from those groups.

He's done some good, at the very least. Allocated funding (69 million over 3 years) toward mental health services for Indigenous peoples. Still a while left, though, and with a majority government maybe he'll manage to make good on his plans in this department. Some he's working toward right now are: ensuring clean water availability (a lot of them were screwed by oil in Alberta), funding the Freedom Road project (which grants residents of Shoal Lake access to, y'know, the world, as they're currently isolated), and meeting with various Native Leaders once per year.

If you're ever curious about how he's doing with keeping his promises, there's actually a site that keeps track of all his campaign plans/promises which marks it as failed/in progress/complete, and cites them with relevant news articles. You can also specify which category you'd like to see (economical, culture, environment, gov, immigration, indigenous peoples, security).

Current standing:

67/233 in progress
38/233 achieved
28/233 broken

Oh, absolutely. And with our southern neighbours' current standing, there's going to be a real uphill climb for him in combatting the rhetoric we're being fed come the next election.

Seems he's doing okay with them, but his environmental decisions are going to be a deal breaker in getting the Aboriginal vote again unless he makes good on what's remaining.
Ahh. I see. Thank you for the infos.

Merc_

At this point I'm just wondering when things will begin escalating into an armed conflict. It's really just a matter of time now.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
At this point I'm just wondering when things will begin escalating into an armed conflict. It's really just a matter of time now.

What armed conflict are you looking for? lol

They never stopped. Hate shit like this...

yep, he's Canadian alright.

History is going to reflect that America showed its ass, and even if we're blessed enough to climb out of this pit in the next 4 years, the damage is done. Trust is over.

Oh yesss. Every single dumbass that stuck they neck out for the orange muppet are gonna be getting a lot more than some side eye from now one.

Dai and Prof I went into a Mexican bakery today and it was quite an experience I was looking confused for a good minute because I didn't know how to get any of the breads. They had the paper thingies to grab them from the shelves, but not the bags like I was used to in other stores that have those things for the donuts. Then a couple customers came in and I saw that you're supposed to use tongs and put them on those metal trays.

I didn't get anything really but a bag of M&Ms and I tried to talk to the cashier a little bit, but my spanish is still pretty bad and it ended up kind of awkward. I still want to get fluent in it eventually, so I might go again.

You just knew I'd do a web search, didn't you?

B7pdpSDIcAAREcw.jpg

With bonus Tupac.

I know that picture. It has a whole bunch of black historical figures on Jandros

Malyse

What would you wish for if you could make a single wish? Sakura Yamato, an anti-social genius, knows his ideal wish. When at home, as he lives alone, he spends most of his time with his little sister collection, fawning over anything little sister related. Other than them, his only other conversation companion is a stuffed rabbit memento of his long dead older sister. But one day, the rabbit starts speaking out of nowhere, and claims its feeling for Yamato won't lose to anyone else. After transforming into a woman with rabbit ears, she states she is his sister, coming from Heaven to give him a single wish from God.

Manga is so fucking weird. Like, I think that manga probably wins in the WTF weirdass olympics.

Did these niggas just all lives matter the fucking holocaust.

The best was this dude

You guys can crack jokes about this if you want to, but I'm not. My wife is Jewish, and if Trump and his crony fuckfaces ever made a move on the Jewish people...I don't have words for what I would do.

Like fuck the rest of you and they shit you're currently dealing with. They better not send that bullshit our way and I actually have to give a fuck.

shingi70

Banned
The best was this dude

Like fuck the rest of you and they shit you're currently dealing with. They better not send that bullshit our way and I actually have to give a fuck.

Man I can only take away that the Democratic Party and other minority's groups should have supported and defended black lives matter. They were too busy on that I got mine shit that they set the precedent for other activist groups to be easily thrown through the mud and ignored by the powers that be.

Sch1sm

Black History Month 2017 |OT| - Peeking over Hidden Fences
or
Black History Month 2017 |OT| - Party like it's 1949
(1949 is the year George Orwell's 1984 was published, but I'm not attached to that particular year)

Or maybe All Months Matter

I vote the first one, so we can simultaneously celebrate that the So White Oscars, while still So White, are at least a little more Black this year.

E: Y'know, while simultaneously making a jab at how, even when in the spotlight, people ain't pay enough attention to even get the titles right.

shingi70

Banned
Aren't there books down south that refer to slaves as migrant works or something to that effect.

In more positive news I just got my Valentine's Day shopping done earl6. Bought my girlfriend some Pokémon Espeon and Umberon Mugs, and a stuffed animal otter kit from this website.

Quick vent:

Why is it that when a black person (myself) doesn't jump on another minority's struggle, we're the cause of this "great divide", but yet none of these fucks have shit to say when something is constantly impacting black people. I don't have empathy because you constantly keep your head in the sand but today someone kicked your bike over.

I'm just going to greet you for finally getting to the party.

akira28

Horses hate thunderstorms and lightning.

Quick vent:

Why is it that when a black person (myself) doesn't jump on another minority's struggle, we're the cause of this "great divide", but yet none of these fucks have shit to say when something is constantly impacting black people. I don't have empathy because you constantly keep your head in the sand but today someone kicked your bike over.

which struggle? I'm down for a lot of causes. I would wonder who would have the stick to actually say me not doing something is causing a great divide.

Sch1sm

Quick vent:

People have a tendency of that. When something affects them, they kick up a storm. Otherwise, they keep quiet and keep their heads down. It's unfortunate, really.

Can only imagine what my next trip to the US will look like if I'm with my parents, since their passports say Somalia on them. They aren't citizens there, but I feel that's enough to end up detained/held up by Border Patrol for a while.

Horses hate thunderstorms and lightning.

XD

Damn.
People have a tendency of that. When something affects them, they kick up a storm. Otherwise, they keep quiet and keep their heads down. It's unfortunate, really.

Can only imagine what my next trip to the US will look like if I'm with my parents, since their passports say Somalia on them. They aren't citizens there, but I feel that's enough to end up detained/held up by Border Patrol for a while.

Man, shit is getting crazy now and I can't imagine what's gonna happen a few months from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom