• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faustek

Hmm just me or has it been awfully still in here? Makes me worry. Anyway I need my beauty sleep...this avokado skin isn't getting better by itself

😴 😴 😴

Edit: I accepted ya Waldo... Please be gentle with me tomorrow... Haven't played in ages 😅

Zaverious

Pretty much the PS4 games I really really want to play are coming out next year and I already played the cross gen ones like MGSV and Persona 5 on PS3 so I decided to go ahead and get the 500GB uncharted slim bundle.

--
I used to play a lot of games on my 500GB PS3 Superslim but now I just play Tekken Tag 2.

Dai101

Banned
What, now how the hell do posters even jump to that conclusion?

yDOOy9r.gif

I've got a launch XBOX that still works and has never RROD

You just jinxed it.

*checks climate change thread*

*sees black people are getting blamed for Trump*

*smacks the shit out of my forehead via facepalm*

Glad I came here first so I know what I am getting into when I read the thread.

It kills me that it took Trump withdrawing from the climate change deal for some of these CEOs to start dropping out.

White supremacy is the foundation that the United States was built on. It's what makes this country so unique.

The question of why is the US the only 1st world country without healthcare.

The question of why we're one of only a handful of countries that have backed out of the Paris Agreement.

The question of how a person like Donald Trump can not only thrive, but become President of the United States of America.

All of these questions have the same answer.

You can't have an honest conversation about American politics without talking about white supremacy.

-and you can't have a nuanced conversation about white supremacy without the conversation immediately being shutdown.

akira28

I would just pop onto his FB with a 'you a idiot', but I've been able to not post on FB for a while now and he doesn't seem like a good reason to break the streak.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
finally started watching Iron Fist

the first episode is just... bland

nothing exciting, nothing overtly terrible

it's just there

Young Magus

おはようFam.

Copped a switch.
Also copped Tekken 7 the other day. SHITS SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOD.

Who the fuck ya'll maining.

Akuma and Xiaoyu for me right now

LotusHD

Banned
finally started watching Iron Fist

the first episode is just... bland

nothing exciting, nothing overtly terrible

it's just there

It's my legal obligation to inform you that Iron Fist is not worth your time. Watch the last episode or a summary or some shit if you want to watch it because Defenders is later this year.

So I'm talking with my girlfriend about "call out culture" and we both realized it's so weird that people and white moderates expect my response to a bigot or a racist to be a kind one because I care about that bigot.

People of color do not have to give a fuck about bigots and racists nor do we have to care about changing their hearts.

And these same people that expect people of color to be kind and nice towards oppressor will be outraged and strong with wording for when an issue they care about being attack or when they get defensive.

Yo I'm petty and I know it. I don't care about positive outcomes for bigots.

Dai101

Banned
おはようFam.

Copped a switch.
Also copped Tekken 7 the other day. SHITS SOOOOOOOOO GOOOOD.

Who the fuck ya'll maining.

Akuma and Xiaoyu for me right now

Been a while since the Tekken 3 days, but King, Xiaoyu and Yoshimitsu just for trolling.

royalan

You know what? Real fucking talk

I spent a lot of time last year, specifically in the inner city here in Philadelphia, driving up the black vote. Getting my people out. And so yeah, it hurt, it was a blow, personally, to see black turnout so low in a year when Black Activism was the highest we've seen since the Civil Rights Movement.

But I don't blame black people for that. I blame black leaders for that.

And who do I blame most of all? This dumbass:

xk6NQjy.jpg

Because he got black people mad, angry, activated. And then what did he do? Told us all to sit on our hands and not vote. Spat in the face of the people who came before us and literally died to give us this right. Who understood that as FUCKED UP as the system is, the only remedy is to ENGAGE IN IT. Not ignore it. And not just take a fucking knee to it and think that's all you got to fucking do.

Fuck him. Fuck everyone like him.

Fuck ANYBODY who thinks that the end-all be-all is marching, kneeling, praying, tweeting, and wearing a natural style with your fresh-pressed BLM shirt.

That shit don't mean a goddamn thing if you don't fucking vote when you have the chance.

So I'm talking with my girlfriend about "call out culture" and we both realized it's so weird that people and white moderates expect my response to a bigot or a racist to be a kind one because I care about that bigot.

People of color do not have to give a fuck about bigots and racists nor do we have to care about changing their hearts.

And these same people that expect people of color to be kind and nice towards oppressor will be outraged and strong with wording for when an issue they care about being attack or when they get defensive.

Yo I'm petty and I know it. I don't care about positive outcomes for bigots.
Real talk. Ain't my job to keep the internet hate mob at Bay. You don't get no benefit of the doubt when you're spitting sus shit.

Oh no, blame them too.

But I have a personal bone to pick with anyone and everyone in MY community who would insult my fucking ancestors by telling another person that the solution to our problems is to just not give a fuck.

How would you feel if he told folks to vote for Trump though?
jbhmmm.png

White supremacy is the foundation that the United States was built on. It's what makes this country so unique.

The question of why is the US the only 1st world country without healthcare.

The question of why we're one of only a handful of countries that have backed out of the Paris Agreement.

The question of how a person like Donald Trump can not only thrive, but become President of the United States of America.

All of these questions have the same answer.

You can't have an honest conversation about American politics without talking about white supremacy.

-and you can't have a nuanced conversation about white supremacy without the conversation immediately being shutdown.
White folks get real sensitive when you try. Discussion is always over before it ever gets started. Let's see how far backwards this country goes.

Yeap

I get why folks want to shout at people for not getting out and voting, but the reality is they could have voted for anyone.

I place the blame on the people who saw what this dude was up to and decided "Yup! Gimme some of that!"
Cause based on percentages.

Like, 3% more registered voters going out would be enough for him and various tight house races to lose.

Right.
francis.png

My ultimate point is that the whole "vote or die" mindset is just so disingenuous at this point because it's really not about voting per se, it's "vote for who I want, otherwise, fuck you just stay at home." And to keep it all the way funky...black people need to stop using their ancestors as a prop for that argument. They died for us to have to right to vote for whoever we want, for whatever reason we want, if we even want to. You should vote, if just at a local level, but if someone doesn't, that's their choice they're free to make have to live with. No sense in crucifying people just to make yourself feel good. It's just tired, my dude.

And for the record, no I didn't, nor will I ever vote for Trump.

royalan

Right.
francis.png

My ultimate point is that the whole "vote or die" mindset is just so disingenuous at this point because it's really not about voting per se, it's "vote for who I want, otherwise, fuck you just stay at home." And to keep it all the way funky...black people need to stop using their ancestors as a prop for that argument. They died for us to have to right to vote for whoever we want, for whatever reason we want, if we even want to. You should vote, if just at a local level, but if someone doesn't, that's their choice they're free to make have to live with. No sense in crucifying people just to make yourself feel good. It's just tired, my dude.

And for the record, no I didn't, nor will I ever vote for Trump.

89% of black voters voted for Hillary.

Like, I get what you're saying, but it's still an incredibly disingenuous argument. We know how most of those people would have voted.

And yes, in general I want more black people to vote. I dedicate my personal time to this.

It's been time to start crucifying ALL people for not going out and voting. America has a pitiful turnout rate for elections. We're in the bottom 1/3rd of all Democratic nations in terms of total voter turnout.

It's pathetic how we've allowed ourselves as a society to just not give enough of a shit about voting.

White, black, green, orange wtf ever.

Go out and vote. Don't just think about it or maybe do it once every four years. You have a say. Make yourself heard. Don't just pop put when you're pissy about it.

LotusHD

Banned
I mean, if Kaepernick actually ended up voting for Trump instead (That'd be surprising, to say the least), we'd "deal" with that if it got revealed, but I don't see why it's tired to get upset at a dude that said all he said, and ended up not voting.

It'd be one thing if say he didn't bother to motivate others to vote, but he couldn't even do it himself? How could I not be immensely frustrated with that.

akira28

I voted for Trump. to be fed to a shark. And then have that shark thrown into a volcano. It was an episode of Surviver.

I got plenty of people to blame, but the last on my long long list is black folk who didn't vote. Hillary is a lot further up on that list. And Hillary's people are even higher up on that list.

also extremely low on that blame list? donna brazille. you wanna fight about that we'll rumble in the jungle.

edit: also I'm goddamn motherfucking TIRED of being the democratic safety net. don't ask me how tired I am, don't ask me shit.

royalan

I voted for Trump. to be fed to a shark. And then have that shark thrown into a volcano. It was an episode of Surviver.

I got plenty of people to blame, but the last on my long long list is black folk who didn't vote. Hillary is a lot further up on that list. And Hillary's people are even higher up on that list.

also extremely low on that blame list? donna brazille. you wanna fight about that we'll rumble in the jungle.

edit: also I'm goddamn motherfucking TIRED of being the democratic safety net. don't ask me how tired I am, don't ask me shit.

...I know you not acting like a fan of Miss Donna Brazile with an opinion like that. She'd probably smack you upside the head herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom