• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
We talk about the useless moderate all the time. Or those for an extreme example that might not go along with Alex Jones or a Glen Beck, or a Milo.... but sure find them entertaining. Shrug. It is what it is. And these aren't shots fired at individuals, just general support. That's where I'm going with this.
Probably because Milo and Alex would fit in with Al Frank or Romeo Rose as "kooky podcast guest"

Slayven

I just kinda had a thought: Is it really true that NONE of the quadrupeds indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa were domesticated and used for transport?

Think about it: One of the main pillars of early civilization was beasts of burden able to carry people. Humans are really lucky Horses showed up in Eurasia when they did. The Mongols took over half the damn planet because of one simple piece of horse riding technology. A big probable reason Native American societies didn't advance the same way as Europeans and Asians is because they didn't have horses or anything else they could ride. Lots of big animals live in Africa, but apparently all of them have much meaner temperament than horses because they gotta fight off Lions and shit. I'm trying to think through all African megafauna and all I can think of that could be ridden were the Camels of North Africa.

I imagine because domesticated animals need a lot of grazing land

D i Z

I just kinda had a thought: Is it really true that NONE of the quadrupeds indigenous to sub-Saharan Africa were domesticated and used for transport?

Think about it: One of the main pillars of early civilization was beasts of burden able to carry people. Humans are really lucky Horses showed up in Eurasia when they did. The Mongols took over half the damn planet because of one simple piece of horse riding technology. A big probable reason Native American societies didn't advance the same way as Europeans and Asians is because they didn't have horses or anything else they could ride. Lots of big animals live in Africa, but apparently all of them have much meaner temperament than horses because they gotta fight off Lions and shit. I'm trying to think through all African megafauna and all I can think of that could be ridden were the Camels of North Africa.

But they did. I might be misunderstanding what you're saying here, or I might just be really ignorant on this matter.

These two videos might be helpful.
Americapox: The Missing Plague
Zebra vs Horses: Animal Domestication

LotusHD

Banned
"I saw no gaps in your game."
Such disrespect

That producer humbled him real quick

tumblr_onnky2JoLW1qlsrn9o2_500.gif

RedSwirl

But they did. I might be misunderstanding what you're saying here, or I might just be really ignorant on this matter.

I said "the same way" not "as much." I'm well aware American civilization was quite advanced in ways Europe was not. They just didn't have access to the same things... like beats of burden or immunization from Smallpox.

Just wrote a long post about how I don't think both sides are the same and how the right is toxic, but then thread lock. That's my life, I guess.

IDK how to communicate my view point any more clearly. This is a consistent issue for me :(

whoa man, this is all you? that's a pretty big deal.

thanks

Lemme hold a dolla when you come up

Dude, I just bought the book. Expensive as hell. There BETTER be color up in this bitch for how much I paid, cuz that black n' white cover is doing you NO favors, fam.

(yes, I'm kidding. Well, about the expense and color n' shit. Not about buying the book.)

lol thanks :)

*adds to wishlist*

Yeah being on wishlist is very important for Amazon search rankings so this helps a lot thank you :)

GET THAT BAG.

I am excited for your excitement because that's inspiring. Did you self publish this?

What's new in y'all world? I am fresh out the hospital trying to enjoy life.

I am still fighting Sickle Cell and Depression (yup self published)

NICE!!

Congrats hermano.

Bought. Congrats

thanks for the support guys.

the book is climbing the charts nicely for the first day

need sleep now just want to say thanks for the love

D i Z

I said "the same way" not "as much." I'm well aware American civilization was quite advanced in ways Europe was not. They just didn't have access to the same things... like beats of burden or immunization from Smallpox.

I meant no offense. Said several times that I think I was missing something in what you were saying. Your example of animal husbandry required some questions.

LotusHD

Banned
After the ARMS tournament concluded, the producer of the game Mr. Yabuki let some comments on the winner, saying, "I saw no gaps in your game." One of the commentators asked if they wanted friendly expo match so they agreed and he proceeded to dodge nearly every attack and absolutely destroy him in every match

https://youtu.be/Sp4rQ-9DHnM?t=20m33s

^^^ What he said.

Zerk brought it upon himself though. He stopped using Twintelle.

---

akira28

Well the prevailing thought was that horses died out in the Americas before the Native Americans came over. And it was Europeans that brought them back.

I remember learning how prairie Indians would use dogs and special packs.

After the ARMS tournament concluded, the producer of the game Mr. Yabuki let some comments on the winner, saying, "I saw no gaps in your game." One of the commentators asked if they wanted friendly expo match so they agreed and he proceeded to dodge nearly every attack and absolutely destroy him in every match

https://youtu.be/Sp4rQ-9DHnM?t=20m33s

Zerk set his own ass up for the dummy mission and got messed up. Damn, Mr. Yabuki.

D i Z

Well the prevailing thought was that horses died out in the Americas before the Native Americans came over. And it was Europeans that brought them back.

I had never heard that. I read about Arabian horses and breeding stock being bought much later I guess, but horses where still here in limited and hard to catch numbers at the time, just wild and away from colonial men. Looks like I have a new info hunt for what happened to the continental horses. Good looking out.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I stopped by Walmart to price some things today and ended up wandering through the movie aisle. They had a Quentin Tarantino 3 pack, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown for $5. Can't beat that for five bucks. I walked a little ways farther and saw an Ice-T movie 3 pack, also $5. Didn't know whether I wanted to watch 5 hours of B-movie Tracy Marrow vehicles, but one of the movies was called Body Count. This dude had the gall to name a movie after his band, so I thought what the fuck? I've spent five dollars on worse.

I get to the check out, the Quentin pack checks across fine. The Ice-T pack gets scanned and there's this loud alarm and the check readout starts flashing an age check. I've bought rated R movies at Walmart before, bought a season of The Walking Dead there which has more violence than I can imagine an Ice-T movie having. It seems that cursing and violence are A-OK if they're aimed at a white audience, but you get a black guy on the cover and you've gotta protect the children. SMH.

The biggest pitfall and ultimate downfall of native tribes and kingdoms was simply that they lacked the depth of practical knowledge of refining and tempering iron and thus, steel. Without draft animals, many native kingdoms simply lapsed on further development in metallurgy. There was no need to create something as a chariot or a chattle drawn wagon because there was nothing to pull them. Not to mention that their agriculture developed on terrace systems and not rotated fields, removing the need for a plow. And those are just a few a several key factors in the difference. Not according for climate, politics, religion, philosophy, etc etc.

The fall of the central American kingdoms is something I've spent a ton of my study of American History on.

D i Z

The biggest pitfall and ultimate downfall of native tribes and kingdoms was simply that they lacked the depth of practical knowledge of refining and tempering iron and thus, steel. Without draft animals, many native kingdoms simply lapsed on further development in metallurgy. There was no need to create something as a chariot or a chattle drawn wagon because there was nothing to pull them. Not to mention that their agriculture developed on terrace systems and not rotated fields, removing the need for a plow. And those are just a few a several key factors in the difference. Not according for climate, politics, religion, philosophy, etc etc.

The fall of the central American kingdoms is something I've spent a ton of my study of American History on.

Any particular direction you can point me to, particularly dealing with what happened to beasts of burden before/while colonials arrived? I'm looking for anything that I can read if you have it.

NBC should be a shame of themselves for hiring Megyn Kelly.

She's already getting them viewers with these antics. They knew what they were getting.

RedSwirl

According to Wiki, they died out either right after or around the same time Native Americans showed up. It's easy to think they just hunted them to extinction, but major climate change was also happening around the same time (probably the very climate change that started the current Holocene). Archaeologists don't know which caused the extinction.

Basically, it came down to natural resources (and diseases). The reverse is why China and India have historically had such high populations.

akira28

According to Wiki, they died out either right after or around the same time Native Americans showed up. It's easy to think they just hunted them to extinction, but major climate change was also happening around the same time (probably the very climate change that started the current Holocene). Archaeologists don't know which caused the extinction.

they didn't throw hooves. and they were too small to ride, and just the right size to fit in a pot.

akira28

Any particular direction you can point me to, particularly dealing with what happened to beasts of burden before/while colonials arrived? I'm looking for anything that I can read if you have it.

She's already getting them viewers with these antics. They knew what they were getting.

NBC trying to get that "both sides" money. and they will, because people are bad, and there are an awful lot of moderates out there.

I'm siding with the one who didn't attempt to kill Miles Morales.

why is it always the young white schoolteacher that hauls off and smacks the little black boy in the mouth? doesn't she have her own kids she can hit? she trying to get in a practice freebie?

akira28

I wouldn't even have to open my front door to get a pizza, just open my 2nd story bedroom window and pay the delivery rider.

D i Z

Imagine if these guys were still around. They roamed North America, i was wrong they were asian

I imagine 2 of them mating probably sounded like a avalanche

Aren't they making a movie about white folks trying to mass produce these for food?

I'm not making that up. Tilda is in it, and it's a Korean directed flick.

Young Magus

Never saw this. Saw the fanservice in AMVs as a teen, but never sat down for the actual show.

Good Show.
Its a more..........poorer version of cowboy bebop but it has its own highs. The ending songs are beautiful I must say.

P.S
Everyone in here should watch trigun at least once.

Good Show.
Its a more..........poorer version of cowboy bebop but it has its own highs. The ending songs are beautiful I must say.

P.S

The other reason I never saw it is because of what you said in the spoiler. I already have
Bebop.

Faustek

P.S

And remember to effing watch the last outro.
Was so damned pissed when I watched that ending so I just shut it down without watching it. Bit of my college mate who lent it to me and he just laughed and told me to watch the outro of the last episode. Cleared a few things up so to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom