• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
shit's boring

Detective Conan though, hell yeah

giphy.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are there any other good tight-knit communities on GAF besides the BCT? Kinda want to meet new people. I joined some art Discord servers, but dunno if I'll be able to get involved or not.

We might want unification but, where does that truly leave things for the consumer? I'm all for competition no matter the playing field. If X Y & Z gives me all the same service it may seem convenient, but leaves no room for individuality, creativity and growth. Making X Y & Z boring in my opinion. This is why I feel like a platform like Steam also needs competition, hence, GOG being a good up and coming competitor, though, they aren't quite there yet. As per consumers competition can be great for us when it comes to pricing, if everything is the same there would be no deals and most companies (Like cities who only have the choice of one ISP) would become complacent and all too powerful, leaving the consumer with no room to choose.

We might want unification but, where does that truly leave things for the consumer? I'm all for competition no matter the playing field. If X Y & Z gives me all the same service it may seem convenient, but leaves no room for individuality, creativity and growth. Making X Y & Z boring in my opinion. This is why I feel like a platform like Steam also needs competition, hence, GOG being a good up and coming competitor, though, they aren't quite there yet. As per consumers competition can be great for us when it comes to pricing, if everything is the same there would be no deals and most companies (Like cities who only have the choice of one ISP) would become complacent and all too powerful, leaving the consumer with no room to choose.

Pretty much here.

Creativity and identity are important for a company to thrive, so yeah I agree with this.

I agree whole heartedly. I guess i'm more concerned with the growing notion of online gaming becoming unified as the next evolution. We can all play together which is great, but at what cost?

I like what MS is proposing as far as getting your game and taking it with you everywhere no matter the device, but wouldn't that lead to all games being available from this source? Ultimately would console gaming gain a steam like presence based on the manufacturer?

Considering how Minecraft will require you to log onto xbox live to play on your switch, would this trend grow for more games as cross play becomes more of a thing?

I agree whole heartedly. I guess i'm more concerned with the growing notion of online gaming becoming unified as the next evolution. We can all play together which is great, but at what cost?

I like what MS is proposing as far as getting your game and taking it with you everywhere no matter the device, but wouldn't that lead to all games being available from this source? Ultimately would console gaming gain a steam like presence based on the manufacturer?

Considering how Minecraft will require you to log onto xbox live to play on your switch, would this trend grow for more games as cross play becomes more of a thing?

I guess people right now are interested in the short term and not thinking long term consequences with crossplay. What kind of environment will the console landscape become if crossplay is implemented across all systems? Will all company still hold their individuality and uniqueness? So many questions.....

I guess people right now are interested in the short term and not thinking long term consequences with crossplay. What kind of environment will the console landscape become if crossplay is implemented across all systems? Will all company still hold their individuality and uniqueness? So many questions.....

I'm sure they'll be able to in a sense.

The thing that i'm sort of concerned with is how will a system like that become viable for anyone not Microsoft? Will we see a Nintendo game on xbox that you'd have to log into a Nintendo network to play? Not likely.

Systems like Netflix, Hulu, Playstation Vue work because they are selling you products that aren't exactly theirs. This then becomes "I can only get this 3rd party content with this app". So in turn it works for all involved to share the space.

I'm concerned with these console makers having to basically go 3rd party in order to get a foothold on another console makers space. This basically is what MS has done with Minecraft, so I wonder that might have to happen for others to follow suit.

I'm sure they'll be able to in a sense.

The thing that i'm sort of concerned with is how will a system like that become viable for anyone not Microsoft? Will we see a Nintendo game on xbox that you'd have to log into a Nintendo network to play? Not likely.

Systems like Netflix, Hulu, Playstation Vue work because they are selling you products that aren't exactly theirs. This then becomes "I can only get this 3rd party content with this app". So in turn it works for all involved to share the space.

I'm concerned with these console makers having to basically go 3rd party in order to get a foothold on another console makers space. This basically is what MS has done with Minecraft, so I wonder that might have to happen for others to follow suit.

Really does leave things up in the air, doesn't it?

Faustek

Mornin' everyone. ����

Afternoon fam

Hello all

Afternoon.

Tbh crossplay is only beneficial to the new systems, runner ups and the devs in question. If you can manage to have crossplay in place the potential buyers on a new system wouldn't think twice about the size of the current community and just jump in due to the fact that it's rather huge on the other platforms. Meaning no worries if the community will die of.
Me I think it's silly to act upset about it. As long as the COMPANY is upfront with it. No lies, no bs just come out and say yes/no. Then I can make a decision.

What is hilarious though is all this Soap Opera drama from Nintendo stans with MonHun. Haven't seen Aevenko in such a gentle damage control mode ever. It isn't the game they are fans of. It is the system and it's pathetic the way the whine about it...actually it's also delicious. I never knew I had this mean streak to me
That's a lie, I knew I was a bastard.

I did it! I published my first art book https://www.amazon.com/dp/0999120107/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I am excited :D

So am I. I bought it. I looked through your Amazon page and thought to myself "why the hell don't I?" so I did.

Crossplatform play won't remove individuality, but it does directly impact one aspect of the industry. Install base. Install base impacts development, deals, funding and etc. Crossplatform play allows competitors to use another company's success as their own. That doesn't increase competition. It allows laziness. I don't need to attract you to my platform. I get the benefit of having your presence in my ecosystem, albeit on a smaller scale, without ever having to truly appeal to you. The businessman in me hates this and loves this. But the only consumer that is truly benefitted by this is the one on a platform with a smaller base. This is why Nintendo is so quick to do it. That and the fact that the deals for interoperability don't have to be uniform...

*wakes up*

*notices my crops are watered, my face is clear, and I'm feeling fully refreshed*

Bronx got banned again.

Order has been restored

What did he do this time

Crossplatform play won't remove individuality, but it does directly impact one aspect of the industry. Install base. Install base impacts development, deals, funding and etc. Crossplatform play allows competitors to use another company's success as their own. That doesn't increase competition. It allows laziness. I don't need to attract you to my platform. I get the benefit of having your presence in my ecosystem, albeit on a smaller scale, without ever having to truly appeal to you. The businessman in me hates this and loves this. But the only consumer that is truly benefitted by this is the one on a platform with a smaller base. This is why Nintendo is so quick to do it. That and the fact that the deals for interoperability don't have to be uniform...

Exactly

Theres a space for MS on the Switch but not the other way around, not until theres a reason for it. Which I can see why Sony didn't want to opt in because the only way for this to make sense for them would be to put a game on the xbox that users would want to log into PSN on their xbox to play. (Stupid for them not to be transparent and explain this)

It's going to be interesting to see what other games going forward will utilize this. Microsoft has already put all their games on the PC so if all windows 10 and xbox games play in the same space, it'll only make sense for more and more 3rd party games to allow it as their means of providing a uniform space. At that point how do you compete with that?

Exactly

Theres a space for MS on the Switch but not the other way around, not until theres a reason for it. Which I can see why Sony didn't want to opt in because the only way for this to make sense for them would be to put a game on the xbox that users would want to log into PSN on their xbox to play. (Stupid for them not to be transparent and explain this)

It's going to be interesting to see what other games going forward will utilize this. Microsoft has already put all their games on the PC so if all windows 10 and xbox games play in the same space, it'll only make sense for more and more 3rd party games to allow it as their means of providing a uniform space. At that point how do you compete with that?

The issue for MS right now is the need for UWP and requiring the use of windows 10 store. They also want the play anywhere aspect as well. Publishers aren't with that line of thinking. It gives MS too much power and eliminates an additional sale. Not to mention that devs seem to universally hate UWP.

I expect Sony to launch a webstore and have more of a PC presence eventually. Likely sometime within the PS5 lifetime. Once now gains better ping time, it'll likely be an arm of this as well.

The issue for MS right now is the need for UWP and requiring the use of windows 10 store. They also want the play anywhere aspect as well. Publishers aren't with that line of thinking. It gives MS too much power and eliminates an additional sale. Not to mention that devs seem to universally hate UWP.

I expect Sony to launch a webstore and have more of a PC presence eventually. Likely sometime within the PS5 lifetime. Once now gains better ping time, it'll likely be an arm of this as well.

I suppose leveraging their back catalog can be one way of doing it. The problem for them though is the competition is already moving in this direction. Having to become competitive next generation is going to be a major issue. It's why steam remains dominant; everyone has it, everything is on it.

As much as devs might hate UWP if theres a market there they'll support it, especially if it's growing. Devs aren't going to ignore the pool of players that can be found there when the numbers stretch across multiple platforms.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Rocket League and other games from smaller devs. If they can see growth because players are willing to spend more because of the fact that they don't have to buy another copy of the game that makes for an interesting proposition.

"I'd be more inclined to buy dlc if i spent more time playing the game because I have it on multiple consoles."

It's something to consider, but you're right it's a good will gesture from devs. It's starting with MS, a sale is a sale from their stand point, and I can get behind that aspect.

Good afternoon all.

Great breakdown on this topic. As a consumer I would love to be able to play any multiplat game with all my friends but it doesn't make much sense from a business POV.

Seeing "The Warriors should be having a dialogue with Trump instead of skipping the visit" stupidity on Twitter now 😂

I'll never get why its everyone else's job to make sure you check yourself. Like in real life, if all your friends stop talking to you, it's 9/10 because you're the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom