• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT19| - You Still Can't Say Tanned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not going crazy, right? Did these fools just design an gem mammy? lmfao

cant read but got the latest J's
9TK7zZv.gif

Whats happening here? Surely that's not real?

That's probably why she never existed outside of a sketch or two. I haven't gotten the art book yet, but it looks like they may have tried doing something similar that wasn't horribly offensive with Bismuth:

She's got similar proportions and the whole "not based on an actual gem" thing going for her, but the farthest I've seen people be upset with Bismuth as a character have either been her politics, or the criticism that she's coded as a WOC and is this big, boisterous character whose ideologies fundamentally clash so much with that of the main cast (resorting to violence first instead of trying to talk it out). Granted, the latter's still a totally valid criticism to make, but it's still way better than having to deal with the existence of a gem mammy.

Did anyone speak on this?

no but I want to hear the design philosophy behind that one

I mean, Rebecca Sugar is cool for the most part, but, uh, she's still white at the end of the day. The art book notes also describe Bismuth (above) as being "not PC", but it's in the context of Gem politics; they're aliens with a communist-esque caste system that don't need to eat, sleep, etc. and whose classes literally define their physiology, so I can at least kind of see what they meant.

D i Z

Mornin' all.

Work be damned today.

I'm really enjoying Dead Space. I feel it's a little long though. I'll be finishing the last chapter tonight.

I have fond memories of that game. 2 was good as well.

Anyone know

I'd actually like some tips on most of them. I don't recognize most of those references.

9TK7zZv.gif

Andy Serkis is the fuckin' man

What he do today?
edit: The Golem Trump tweets?

Got random breakouts of red itchy bumps on random parts of my body and I am 65% sure it is bed bugs in my old bed or I am the first infected zombie or something.

Can't wait to set up this new mattress.

Prolly need to get checked up in case its not bed bugs...

BlackJace

That FL state attorney video gives me life.
It goes to show that no matter who professional you are, there are some that will always remind you that you're just a black person in a white world.

I hope the sista takes them to the cleaners

I tried to keep up with it but the show is so erratic when it comes to air dates that I somehow missed a couple dozen episodes.

EDIT: random aside but Saga is dope as fuck, I'm in the middle of book 2.
I finished volume 7 a little while ago. That ending is sad.

That FL state attorney video gives me life.
It goes to show that no matter who professional you are, there are some that will always remind you that you're just a black person in a white world.

I hope the sista takes them to the cleaners
Yes honey! Shoot, I hope she gets them fired.

9TK7zZv.gif

Well uh, uh...

At least that character hasn't appeared in the show.

Lol you can't really defend that design. I will Steven Universe tends to do representation better than most cartoons in gender, race, and ethnicity. Still, whoever vetoed that design from appearing so far in the show saved a lot of face.

Shy

Afternoon fam
Mornin' everyone. Not like I've slept anyway.
Good morning BCT.
Mornin' all.
Evening good sirs.
Think Hank would have voted for Trump?
Nah. I think he would have been on of those Republicans for Hillary. (Much to his own chagrin)
Andy Serkis is the fuckin' man
Yep. He seems like chill and down to earth chap.

Got random breakouts of red itchy bumps on random parts of my body and I am 65% sure it is bed bugs in my old bed or I am the first infected zombie or something.

Can't wait to set up this new mattress.

Prolly need to get checked up in case its not bed bugs...

Have you eaten anything new recently? I just discovered I was allergic to truffles like two weeks ago and had a similar breakout.

akira28

I got a switch for that ass, and it don't play mario

Is concrete a mineral?

concrete da only urban mineral besides chrome.

(you don't really want to see the Steven Universe design notes for Chrome)

Super agile, not as strong as she looks, wicked shoe collection, can't read. Looks like how they drew people from the dark continent in the old ass racist Tintin books.

they could have just said "she black, nigga, she black!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom