• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT3| Lighten Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imm0rt4l

Anyone here ever gotten the "you're so buff because ur black. It's easier!!!" Shit? I've had to clap fools for this in the past.
There are some genetic freaks out there but you can't attribute the at to all black people. I know beastly white dudes and Asians.

What I find interesting is how Olympic sprinters are generally west African descent. Long distance runner/marathoners are typically East African.

Anyone here ever gotten the "you're so buff because ur black. It's easier!!!" Shit? I've had to clap fools for this in the past.

This reminds me.

I was at a friend's house sitting at his PC and he was still signed into AIM. One of his gym friends IM'd him saying he had just got back from a work out blah blah. Then, brace yourself, 'Man, I gotta get me some of those nigger genetics'

=l

dat GTA V trailer gat damn

It looks like they're pushing Micheal as the main character, but his story seems the least interesting to me.

#cantrelate

Slayven

This reminds me.

I was at a friend's house sitting at his PC and he was still signed into AIM. One of his gym friends IM'd him saying he had just got back from a work out blah blah. Then, brace yourself, 'Man, I gotta get me some of those nigger genetics'

=l

It looks like they're pushing Micheal as the main character, but his story seems the least interesting to me.

#cantrelate

I ahve yet to finish GTA4 because the story just wore me out. That game jsut makes you feel like a bitch for everyone.

That GTA trailer seems like we are back in 2004 again. Ughh.

Seriously "black man in strip club" is cliche but the "Italian mob boss" thats been done forever is new, and refreshing.

They aint going to like it but the hood goin love it, also I notice Franklin and crew rocking green, Grove Street?

I ahve yet to finish GTA4 because the story just wore me out. That game jsut makes you feel like a bitch for everyone.

The disconnect between the character's motivations and the gameplay is the most awkward of any game I've ever played.

'I just want peace, no more of this life' - causes chaos and extensive life loss

In that regard, Trevor character seems perfect for GTA lead. I hope they figured out how to make the game fun again, I seriously don't want to have a dating sim underneath my crime drama sandbox unless its not as intrusive or important to the story.

LosDaddie

Banned
Teaming up with a manufacture is exactly what they should do, I should have made that clear. I know they're software company and have spent their entire time in the market providing OS for hardware companies with the exception of the 360 and zune. The Zune doesn't exist anymore and the next xbox is already getting tons of bad press before we know any concrete details.

Take a look at what Samsung and Google are doing currently. They're a few steps away from having something similar to what I was talking about at a reasonable price.

An issue I see with attacking on the console front is once there's a new console the main reason for owning it is gone. Something that doesn't happen with televisions. Once the next xbox is released the 360 will likely be in living rooms longer than xbox/ps2 were because it is a lot more useful than those two but it will be discarded much faster than a TV.

A) Console Sales B) Software Sales C) Peripheral Sales D) Xbox Live subscriptions E) Downloadable Content and Microtransactions F) Their Movie/Music Marketplace G) Business Partnerships

A) TVs are massivley more profitable out of the gate than consoles where companies usually lose money the first few years. Margins on TV sets are insane. B) Software sales wouldn't exist but they wouldn't be taking nearly as big a risk on the hardware end C) again non existant but I doubt MS cares that they're not selling remotes and headsets very much D) Live is one thing that would probably hurt to lose, but I think accomplishing their overall goal is of much more importance E) would still exist on a Smart TV and probably do much better G) would also still exist similarly to how it does currently

For example, stripping down and intergrating a 360 into a mid range HD tv wouldn't cost very much at all and would get those uninterested in gaming or gaming specifically on an Xbox into your ecosystem.

Really all MS would need to do is attach a Super Xbox360 to a TV and it would be cheap and pretty impressive for a TV.

What industry do you work in? How often do you deal with purchasing HDTVs / video projectors / projector screens / etc.?

HarSon pretty much nailed it before. I'm in the home automation / custom home theater / media presentation industry, and nobody makes money selling HDTVs. The margins are incredibly small for pro integrators. Margins are a little better for the manufacturers, but not by much. It's the reason why Sammy/Sony/Pioneer/LG/etc keep jumping on each new tech that comes out (1080p->Smart HDTVs->3D->4k UHDTVs), and why a smart company like Apple decided not to get in the market and instead sell Apple TV boxes.

As far as HDTVs go, where the money is made is in the installation & programming (if part of an A/V system). The competition is fierce, and the mass market is fine with the 'budget' displays made be Vizio

What I find interesting is how Olympic sprinters are generally west African descent. Long distance runner/marathoners are typically East African.

Yeah, I've read some theories on the athleticism of people of West African descent. In a book called The Italian Job, they did a little bit of research on it that determined that while people of West African descent aren't inherently more athletic, there are more people on either extreme:

Nature, Nurture & the Uncomfortable Genetic Taboo

It's an interesting read.

There's more detail on East African/West African body composition here:

- An important clue is the ability of Kenyans to resist fatigue longer. Lactate, generated by tired, oxygen- deprived muscles, accumulates more slowly in their blood. Comparisons of lactate levels have suggested to Saltin's group that Kenyan runners squeeze about 10% more mileage from the same oxygen intake than Europeans can.

http://www.jonentine.com/reviews/AAAS_peeringUnderTheHood.htm

They aint going to like it but the hood goin love it, also I notice Franklin and crew rocking green, Grove Street?

Yeah man. I went to the IGN livestream where they're pausing and analysing etc, and they showed a dude with a green hat and someone wearing purple (The Ballas). Maybe we'll see CJ?? :-O

yeesh, I was just thinking out loud. In short, I was saying smart TVs could easily replace the need for things like apple TV, Roku or settop boxes for the average consumer. I know we're not there yet, but I could definitely see it being good enough for an introduction in 3-5 years and with the slow rate of TV adoption probably 5-10 after their introduction would they even begin to be common place.

I know people don't upgrade their TVs very frequently but in the long run I could see it eating into and perhaps ending the market of devices as a medium for tv/movie service.

edit: consider how much the cell phone industry has evolved in the last ten years. People buy new phones more frequently but the advancement of tech in that short amount of time is pretty insane. Just 6 or so years ago web browsing on a phone was a pain in the ass, in that same period HDtvs have come a decent ways and I think its slower advancement can be attributed to the lower demand. The demand isn't improving much but the tech is slowly marching.

Slayven

The disconnect between the character's motivations and the gameplay is the most awkward of any game I've ever played.

'I just want peace, no more of this life' - causes chaos and extensive life loss

In that regard, Trevor character seems perfect for GTA lead. I hope they figured out how to make the game fun again, I seriously don't want to have a dating sim underneath my crime drama sandbox unless its not as intrusive or important to the story.

Yeah, I think Rockstar realized that. That is why the main RDR always looks at the camera with a "yeah I am bitch, and nothign I can do about it" look on his face.

What industry do you work in? How often do you deal with purchasing HDTVs / video projectors / projector screens / etc.?

HarSon pretty much nailed it before. I'm in the home automation / custom home theater / media presentation industry, and nobody makes money selling HDTVs. The margins are incredibly small for pro integrators. Margins are a little better for the manufacturers, but not by much. It's the reason why Sammy/Sony/Pioneer/LG/etc keep jumping on each new tech that comes out (1080p->Smart HDTVs->3D->4k UHDTVs), and why a smart company like Apple decided not to get in the market and instead sell Apple TV boxes.

As far as HDTVs go, where the money is made is in the installation & programming (if part of an A/V system). The competition is fierce, and the mass market is fine with the 'budget' displays made be Vizio

indeed. love my Vizio 32" 1080p 3D HDSmart TV and really didn't see a reason to buy something more expensive.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Just had my mind blown via the following workplace interaction. I was explaining to a customer today why their refund request was denied for a product because they did not follow the clearly stated policy and they tried to pull the conspiratorial card on me:

Customer: Look, I understand why you have these rules. It's to stop you getting ripped off. But we're not like those black families that come in and just try to get everything for free. My husband and I are trustworthy, honest individ-

Me: What? Could you repeat what you just said?

*put receiver on mute and change to speakerphone so I can be sure I just heard what I just heard.*

Customer: I just said we aren't like these black people coming in with their pants and clothes all sagging and torn up trying to-

Me: are you fucking kidding me...?

Me: *turning off mute* Unfortunately our refund policy does not factor in race.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The woman actually sounded white. We operate an office out of St Louis that serves a lot of black customers so I assume that's where the comment came from.

I'm always astonished what gives people the idea they can slip in something like that to a random stranger and think it will net them bonus points.

"Haha you're right, damn those sneaky black folk, let me go ahead and set you up with a rebate."

FyreWulff

Because they keep getting away with it and don't get smacked across the nose with the newspaper of justice.

I mean you've seen GAF posters just casually mention they feel __RACE___ is inferior (and then get banned). This shit gets ingrained at an early age and their echo chambers never challenge it. They just assume it's naturally okay to do what they do.

Slayven

The woman actually sounded white. We operate an office out of St Louis that serves a lot of black customers so I assume that's where the comment came from.

I'm always astonished what gives people the idea they can slip in something like that to a random stranger and think it will net them bonus points.

"Haha you're right, damn those sneaky black folk, let me go ahead and set you up with a rebate."

You from the Lou?

harSon

Banned
lol People shitting on Franklin in the GTAV thread. Whatever.

Seriously, this forum never ceases to amaze me. I can't wait for the day when a major franchise decides to insert a non-white/non-asian character within the main role. People will lose their damned minds.

FyreWulff

Gamers will be retelling the story of their struggle years from now

Having to sit in the back of the torrent queue while pirating a game

Not being able to vote on the next map in the rotation because their stolen copy was detected by punkbuster

zon

Seriously, this forum never ceases to amaze me. I can't wait for the day when a major franchise decides to insert a non-white/non-asian character within the main role. People will lose their damned minds.

San Andreas had a black protagonist. Why doesn't that one count?

harSon

Banned
San Andreas had a black protagonist. Why doesn't that one count?

It does count, and people lost their damned mind. I want something sacred though, like Metal Gear Solid or Final Fantasy. Or the next incarnation of Bioshock. Actually, a Marcus Garvey "Back to Africa" take on Bioshock would make for a wonderful premise.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
lol People shitting on Franklin in the GTAV thread. Whatever.

People seem to be ready to shit on Rockstar for everything related to that game though.

Like, I swear there's people that count the days on their calendar 'yeah, 12 days til i can say their parodies aren't that clever. yeahhhhh!'

Garcia Hotspur went over pretty well.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
No shade, but Shadows of the Damned is nowhere close to being a major anything.
Well, by that same logic, about 1% of games are 'major' as a GTA. Budget-wise.

It's a proper boxed retail product, it's major, regardless of being successful or not. If you don't want to count it then count Rico Rodriguez

harSon

Banned
People seem to be ready to shit on Rockstar for everything related to that game though.

Like, I swear there's people that count the days on their calendar 'yeah, 12 days til i can say their parodies aren't that clever. yeahhhhh!'

Garcia Hotspur went over pretty well.

While on the subject, it's kind of sad that Japanese developers are on par, or at least within the ballpark, of American developers when it comes to non-white representation within their video games (well, excluding sports titles). Kojima and Suda are more progressive than 95% of American developers when it comes to that (and they're not even that progressive), and that's a damn shame.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Well, by that same logic, about 1% of games are 'major' as a GTA. Budget-wise.

It's a proper boxed retail product, it's major, regardless of being successful or not. If you don't want to count it then count Rico Rodriguez

Harson said a major franchise. It's nothing like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, or Bioshock. Shadows doesn't even have a sequel yet. I don't even need to state the obvious in regards to sales.

Edit: More importantly, it's different when you start a particular series off a certain way versus switching things up later on.

harSon

Banned
Ah, I never played Just Cause or Just Cause 2 (I own the latter though). Hispanics are severely underrepresented within media in general though (ya'll apparently die off in a great purge in the future it seems, if science fiction is anything to go by), so it's nice to see a prominent Hispanic character within a decently sized franchise.

harSon

Banned
Damn...I'm struggling to think up Hispanics in Sci-Fi movies. Aliens? What else? lol

Jimmy Smits in Star Wars Episode 1 lol? Michelle Rodriguez in Avatar. The biggest role I can think of is Edward James Olmos in Battlestar Galactica, and to a lesser extent, Esai Morales in Caprica.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
So you know where to get good BBQ?
Damn straight. I'm huge on BBQ.

OK Joe's and jack stack are my favorite places. And also Gates if all else fails. Honestly though the best thing about being a BBQ territory is discovering new joints that have unique sauces and cooking methods. I usually get beans and a burnt end sandwich wherever I go to test the waters.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Call me soft but I've had Destiny's Child's "Emotion" on repeat since yesterday. I really miss my girl who is over in Korea at the moment. :(

Slayven

Ah, I never played Just Cause or Just Cause 2 (I own the latter though). Hispanics are severely underrepresented within media in general though (ya'll apparently die off in a great purge in the future it seems, if science fiction is anything to go by), so it's nice to see a prominent Hispanic character within a decently sized franchise.
JC 2 is the shit. Play it just too hear Bolo

Damn straight. I'm huge on BBQ.

OK Joe's and jack stack are my favorite places. And also Gates if all else fails. Honestly though the best thing about being a BBQ territory is discovering new joints that have unique sauces and cooking methods. I usually get beans and a burnt end sandwich wherever I go to test the waters.

Love burnt ends. I think it is the best part of the brisket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom