• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Seems like Work:the Game.

it pretty much is. you have neighbors you like and dont like, youre always paying shit off. but unlike life, you can make crazy amounts of money selling beetles.

And now they're expecting an up-rezzed sequel to 3D Land to do it. And a possibly scaled-down Smash.

3d land was an awesome game, i honestly dont see the problem with 3d world

FyreWulff

I don't think Reggie has any real power, he seems like a figurehead to me.

Nintendo of American and Nintendo of Canada, in their entirety, are figureheads. NoJ controls everything.

Heck, if I remember correctly, NoJ oversees Retro directly, they don't even pretend to let NoA delegate for them

Deprive

Damn Nintendo. If they can't turn it around a little this fall, then just damn... :|
Window for Nintendo to make some serious moves and, be able to put a dent in to things is closing.

BHZ Mayor

Nintendo of American and Nintendo of Canada, in their entirety, are figureheads. NoJ controls everything.

Heck, if I remember correctly, NoJ oversees Retro directly, they don't even pretend to let NoA delegate for them

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same kind of thing that ran Sega into the ground?

Deprive

Think they'd push Kart up to this holiday?

They probably should.

They should have tried to have released Kart this holiday. Instead there are like what 3 platformers and a old zelda game hdfied. Seriously DK is not going to do anything, it should have released next year. Wind Waker HD is not going to do anything. This whole thing is such a complete clusterfuck on Nintendo's part.:\

There's a site that details what happened with SoA and SoJ. Don't have the link in my bookmarks though.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Question BCT.....

Been going over this one in my mind with a few peeps at work. Do you feel that instead of benefiting from it, the issue of racism, and portrayal of minorities in both games and the industry has actually suffered because of the intense focus on sexism and misogyny at present.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

DominoKid

Question BCT.....

Been going over this one in my mind with a few peeps at work. Do you feel that instead of benefiting from it, the issue of racism, and portrayal of minorities in both games and the industry has actually suffered because of the intense focus on sexism and misogyny at present.

Yes, god yes. For whatever reason it seems like only one issue can be in the spotlight at a time.

Parallax

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the same kind of thing that ran Sega into the ground?

SoA and SoJ were at each others throats. Pushing add on consoles with all new ones coming out. Cutting off the nose to spite the face was the name of the game for them

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Yes, god yes. For whatever reason it seems like only one issue can be in the spotlight at a time.

I do feel this way.

And Satch, if you're reading, I'll get a Wii U once it's done completely bombing out. I'll get Monster Hunter, Bayonetta 2, and X for the low, low price of 75 USD and Iwata will personally write a letter of gratitude for my purchase.

ReiGun

Question BCT.....

Suffered in the sense that no one cares to talk about or address it? Yes. I can't say if the portrayals themselves have gotten worse cause I don't really follow games much nowadays outside unless something finds its way onto my Twitter.

Of course, considering the level of discourse on sexism in games hasn't been the greatest (though there is good stuff out there), I'm not sure the gaming "culture" is equipped to really handle race issues. We should still be able to talk about it, tho.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Suffered in the sense that no one cares to talk about or address it? Yes.

I'm not sure the gaming "culture" is equipped to really handle race issues. We should still be able to talk about it, tho.

Pretty much this. I think its even more frustrating when the only way to get any sort of spotlight on the issues is via one well thought out op-ed every six months, or shitty hit and run posts on Kotaku that barely scratch the surface.

Gorillaz

Gaming industry isn't really mature enough to handle racial issues. Infinite was the closest and all they did was just tapped the surface to add some more "omg it was like that back then? Wat" I mean that whole intro with the couple was just them trying to be edgy.

Not expecting much from MGS 5 either. Yall kno Kojima can't handle serious topics.

So they handle women in gaming not only because its something that should be discussed but its something "easier" to digest for people.

Edit: spell check on mobile is fucking up everything

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
You guys think Fruitvale Station would be a decent movie to take my girl to this weekend? I really want to see it.

Yado

Maybe it would be easier for people to wrap their head around if it were expressed that it's about representation of everyone and not just one particular group at a time. It's pretty hard for anyone to get a point across about the issues in gaming since gamers are so defensive. The thought of a minority or a female replacing what is considered to be the typical core character is like rocking the boat. "what about the developer's vision!!1"

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74060988&postcount=146

Once again, this sound awfully like how the words "faggot" or "gay" are often used. For a forum that has such a significant LBGT population, frequent discussions about gay rights and homophobia, and makes strides to make it as welcoming as possible to the LBGT community, it's hard for me to understand why so many here so readily push racial discussions to the side, defend racism, or act like it's no big deal.

Not surprised this didnt get a response in the Tim Allen thread

Some people are losing their shit because Dragon's Crown is getting called out over the sexualized female characters....safe to say there'll never be a 'right time'.....that being said, who is getting Dragon's Crown?

You guys think Fruitvale Station would be a decent movie to take my girl to this weekend? I really want to see it.

The audience I saw it with were crushed. Good amount stayed during the credits and had a cry session.

Some people are losing their shit because Dragon's Crown is getting called out over the sexualized female characters....safe to say there'll never be a 'right time'.....that being said, who is getting Dragon's Crown?

The audience I saw it with were crushed. Good amount stayed during the credits and had a cry session.

White people too? ;)

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Maybe wait for the DVD and see it myself then...I try to avoid triggering the waterworks whenever I can.

Mr. Patch

So I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2. It's my first time playing the Assassin's Creed series and I must say...

I'm not seeing why this game is popular.

ReiGun

Maybe it would be easier for people to wrap their head around if it were expressed that it's about representation of everyone and not just one particular group at a time. It's pretty hard for anyone to get a point across about the issues in gaming since gamers are so defensive. The thought of a minority or a female replacing what is considered to be the typical core character is like rocking the boat. "what about the developer's vision!!1"
The thing that always kills me about the bolded is the implication that we have to justify minority or female characters through the story but white dudes can just be everything with no explanation.

I'll probably pick it up. I liked Vanillaware's last game, Muramasa.

Deprive

#teamhometown Can't wait

Ezio is why Creed 2 is popular. Don't care about the other Creed games.

Parallax

i have that shit pre ordered. ive been waiting for it for a while.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
So I'm playing Assassin's Creed 2. It's my first time playing the Assassin's Creed series and I must say...

I'm not seeing why this game is popular.

Where are you in the game? The main draw is the story, and fleshing out the lore. Most people that liked it grew attached to Ezio, but also the conspiracy story.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
dwarf sets unrealistic standards for the rest of us
DC_-_Dwarf_Sprite.gif

Man is being able to say nigga really that big a deal. And I love Assassins Creed but it seems like the series has gone downhill since Brotherhood.

Man is being able to say nigga really that big a deal. And I love Assassins Creed but it seems like the series has gone downhill since Brotherhood.

Brotherhood was SO GOOD and Revelations was so boring that I stopped playing after a couple of hours and have Zero interest in the franchise.

Yeah, I hate that. Remember when Remeber Me got a lot of trouble finding a publisher because it has a female protagonist? I hope we can get a lot more black characters in video games, but for that to happen we need more black people in the industry and in charge. I really don't hope that I'll have to be the one to carry most of that weight, because it seems very rare to find other black people who want own their own game studio/publisher. I'm the only one I've met who wants to achieve that.

Also, yeah I'm going to get that Dragon's eventually. Maybe not on release, but eventually.

Yado

Eagles receiver Riley Cooper uses racial slur at a Kenny Chesney concert

I am so ashamed and disgusted with myself. I want to apologize. I have been offensive. I have apologized to my coach, Jeffrey Lurie, and Howie roseman and to my teammates. I owe an apology to the fans and to this community. I am so ashamed, but there are no excuses. What I did was wrong and I will accept the consequences.

Apologies from people in the public eye who fuck up always seem so insincere.

The thing is people don't understand context. A white family member asked me "Why can't I say nigger?" I respond "because you say nigger." He was too stupid to understand what I meant. There's also an authentic/cool thing to saying it but I don't think people like Tim Allen are asking because of that.

Yeah, I hate that. Remember when Remeber Me got a lot of trouble finding a publisher because it has a female protagonist? I hope we can get a lot more black characters in video games, but for that to happen we need more black people in the industry and in charge. I really don't hope that I'll have to be the one to carry most of that wait, because it seems very rare to find other black people who want own their own game studio/publisher. I'm the only one I've met who wants to achieve that.

Also, yeah I'm going to get that Dragon's eventually. Maybe not on release, but eventually.

But how can the average gaf user relate to the average black wo/mans?!?!##

Your game wont reach dat NPD charts

Top Bottom