• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

My first kiss was interrupted by a homeless dude jumping out behind a tree and yelling "Niggas ain't shiiiiiiiiit"

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

RedSwirl

A few pages ago, someone mentioned how medieval Africa is never the setting for any media. The story of Sundiata, king of Mali would be perfect for a movie, game, whatever. I want to see a video game for that immediately pls

It was the basis for The Lion King though.

Yeah. To be honest though, not enough games are made about the lives of historical rulers in general, or even historical people. Even if you sort of closely follow history, there are people who've lived crazy enough lives to make for an entertaining action game.

Even beside that, I've always wanted to see more games at least use well-researched historical settings as backdrops for interesting fictional stories. If anything medieval Africa might lend itself to a lot of what I would call "creative speculation" since we know a lot less about it.

ReiGun

"You realize what you did was of the most cruelest things in the world. Don't you?"

"....No"

His face when he said no was funny as hell
795495795.png

What happened in this one?

Chick met a dude in an online game. They meet the guy, and it turns out brah has dozens of online girlfriends and was just using the game to up his "game."

When confronted with the young lady they Catfish guys got in contact with, dude said straight up he had no emotional feelings for her.

It's a children's book. Simplistically written, but well drawn. And thank goodness nobody looks like Ebony White. It's a good book for the little brothers out there.

There's another children's book with amazing art:

I always thought Ibn Battuta would be a good idea for a film or game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_Battuta He traveled through out Africa around the 14th century.

There was a Saudi Arabian-developed Uncharted knock-off made that seemingly centered on Battuta's travels. I'd support it just in the hopes of seeing games designed in regions outside of the usual ones.

Yeah. To be honest though, not enough games are made about the lives of historical rulers in general, or even historical people. Even if you sort of closely follow history, there are people who've lived crazy enough lives to make for an entertaining action game.

Even beside that, I've always wanted to see more games at least use well-researched historical settings as backdrops for interesting fictional stories. If anything medieval Africa might lend itself to a lot of what I would call "creative speculation" since we know a lot less about it.

Yeah, that's what I look forward to seeing someday. You see mostly see fantasy media with clear Medieval European influence, even media in the U.S. or Japan. It'd be refreshing to see other places explored more.

Maybe black fathers aren't a good thing? I mean look at Luke Cage taking Powerbaby into battle.

detail.jpg

His wife right there so its all good. Some shit go down you know Luke gonna send Jessica with Danielle back to SG. Its probably take your daughter to work day or some shit. Or they could be gonna get portraits afterwords and didn't wanna make 2 trips. Lol.

hqZWzV8.jpg

This is the pic my girl took. She zoomed in on it. But yeah he got bricked. And after I killed him I danced around like it was a ceremonial kill. I mean I hope the neighbors didn't see a grown ass man in boxers and flip flops killing something out of harry potter with a goddamn brick doing a fucking end zone rain dance over his carcass at 9 in the am.

I started watching this series knowing literally nothing about it. First 3 seasons were good (season 2 was kind of a chore to watch), but 4 is seriously on another level. My god.

hqZWzV8.jpg

This is the pic my girl took. She zoomed in on it. But yeah he got bricked. And after I killed him I danced around like it was a ceremonial kill. I mean I hope the neighbors didn't see a grown ass man in boxers and flip flops killing something out of harry potter with a goddamn brick doing a fucking end zone rain dance over his carcass at 9 in the am.

that looks EVIL

Damn, Wii U's sales are fire.

By which I mean on fire.

By which I mean it's burning.

By which I mean it's turning to ash.

The sales suck. Are you happy, Slay?!

ecurbj

Did the regular Wii start off bad?
As in sales or game content wise?

It was selling like hot cakes the day it released. Plus, Nintendo couldn't keep up with production with making units so they were rare to find. Early months of the Wii release. People were selling Wii's on eBay at high prices. It was crazy around the first few months.

Oh yeah, now I remember. Why do you think the Wii U is doing bad? Do any of you own one?
I did, but I got rid of it because I realized any game I would want isn't coming out for YEARS! By that time it will most likely be cheaper with a bigger hard drive and maybe even have fixed the horrible speed of the OS.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Oh yeah, now I remember. Why do you think the Wii U is doing bad? Do any of you own one?

Because Nintendo screwed up in just about every possible way.

1. They essentially abandoned the Wii with two years left in its life cycle, leaving even those who did like the Wii for more than just casual stuff out in the cold. The fact that the American audience literally had to beg for games to come out (Operation Rainfall) says a lot.

2. They went in the wrong direction with the controller. WiiU should have been a refinement of the Wii concept, but instead Nintendo got scared because of tablets and designed the controller around having a screen in your hand.

3. Nintendo is getting just as screwed up by the HD transition as a lot of Japanese companies did, they are just doing it eight years later than everybody else. Scrambling to staff up, having trouble getting games out the door quickly enough to matter, etc.

4. And because of all this, the third-party situation, which hasn't really had a negative impact in the last generation because of Nintendo's output, is finally killing them, because Nintendo's output isn't enough to cover it up any more.

Imm0rt4l

10k shipped this quarter in territories not named US or Japan. GOTDAMN

They abandoned motion control thinking it was just the games that made them hot shit last gen. It was the novelty and Wii sports. Shitty marketing hasn't helped as they've for no real reason continued to use the name 'Wii', I told my friend just last week that Nintendo has a new console, he was oblivious more than half a year later. They've continued to hope a disruptive strategy would be a best fit for them and opted to use a tablet controller that seems compelling to pretty much no one. Nintendo has been 3rd party poison since at least n64 era, its just gotten that much worse. Lack of games now and the horizon. There's a plethora of reasons, really.

Also, they're competing with themselves with the 3DS, not just in splitting up the amount of developers they have, but the kind of games being made. 2D Mario, 3D Mario, new Zelda, DKC, Lego City, Luigi-focused game...all that stuff coming to the Wii U soon is already or will soon be on the 3DS, a product people actually seem to like, and it'll be cheaper, too. Hell, I wouldn't be shocked in Smash Bros 3DS outsold the Wii U version.

Kreed

It's doing bad because there are no games people want on it. People keep trying to compare the Wii U to the DS vs the Wii (the Wii started out with games people wanted and sold incredibly, whereas the DS got games people wanted later and sold incredibly). But even when the original DS was doing poorly, Nintendo had an onslaught of games internally and from 3rd parties that came late but within the first year of launch, both for Japanese and US gamers (in addition to Nintendo being shook by the PSP during that period, which caused them to step things up in terms of game releases). The 3DS followed the same/similar pattern as the DS.

But the Wii U has very little games of interest on the horizon unless you're a Pikmin fan and their window of getting games out before the PS4 and Xbox One overtake them has shrunk. They've completely blown a year's head start to get out quality titles. And considering they've done these launches for so many years, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson by now and would have had games ready to go/spread out so that there would be a constant supply of games for gamers to play.

I feel sorry for Platinum Games though, cause if they thought their sales were bad on the PS3 and 360, they are going to need a new word to describe how bad the Wii U numbers are going to be.

The Wii is a niche product--doesn't appeal to casual or hardcore markets right now.

It's not even a better value proposition than a Ps3 or 360 right now.

I think they should have never released the Wii U and just lived off the Wii success and focused on bolstering their position with 3DS.

Then flip the tables on Sony and MS by launching a next gen Nintendo console two years after PS4/Xb1 launched, showing off better hardware.

Their current strategy is really bad though

RedSwirl

Because Nintendo screwed up in just about every possible way.

1. They essentially abandoned the Wii with two years left in its life cycle, leaving even those who did like the Wii for more than just casual stuff out in the cold. The fact that the American audience literally had to beg for games to come out (Operation Rainfall) says a lot.

2. They went in the wrong direction with the controller. WiiU should have been a refinement of the Wii concept, but instead Nintendo got scared because of tablets and designed the controller around having a screen in your hand.

3. Nintendo is getting just as screwed up by the HD transition as a lot of Japanese companies did, they are just doing it eight years later than everybody else. Scrambling to staff up, having trouble getting games out the door quickly enough to matter, etc.

4. And because of all this, the third-party situation, which hasn't really had a negative impact in the last generation because of Nintendo's output, is finally killing them, because Nintendo's output isn't enough to cover it up any more.

This is probably the most rational description of the problem I've ever seen. Nintendo has even admitted to number 3 being a main problem.

FyreWulff

The Wii was getting pirated too hard to ride it into the sunset. Hardly anyone pays for Wii SKUs anymore when a "homebrew" thread guide can get you the latest releases for free within a half hour of buying the console.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
The Wii was getting pirated too hard to ride it into the sunset. Hardly anyone pays for Wii SKUs anymore when a "homebrew" thread guide can get you the latest releases for free within a half hour of buying the console.

nah

DS piracy was way more of a problem than Wii piracy, and they didn't drop the ball with DS like they did the Wii.

FyreWulff

nah

DS piracy was way more of a problem than Wii piracy, and they didn't drop the ball with DS like they did the Wii.

lol

DS piracy hitting the breaking point is why the 3DS was rushed out. When certain good games struggle to sell more than 10k on a console with a 140 mil install base, you know the R4 is juggling your shit

Top Bottom