• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

dont know which one it is, but the story stagnates pretty quickly

Yeah, that's the fault of the author. He really doesn't have too much depth but compared to most popular Shounen (Naruto, Bleach, etc..) it's not as shallow as some would like to attribute. It's just not as full of false danger. Much more straight forward.

I watched the first ep of SAO in the Toonami thread, and even some of the people who liked it are saying it's kind of shit. lol

People like to bandwagon the popular opinion. Give it a shot and decide for yourself. Of course, I'm not saying I disagree.. just that it's not great to judge prematurely. Overall I found it enjoyable.

thats sad to hear i am on episode 8 of SAO. Is it me or does every episode end with the feels?

Not every ep but it does tend to pull on the usual heart strings.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I haven't bothered to watch SAO because apparently one of the bigger moments of the show got spoiled due to people posting that one gif over and over as a reaction gif after it first aired.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I haven't bothered to watch SAO because apparently one of the bigger moments of the show got spoiled due to people posting that one gif over and over as a reaction gif after it first aired.
Its decent, wasted potential up until EP 14-15. Then its down the drain fast.

While thinking of ideas for a new narrative. I realized that there seems to be exactly no popular representation of African mythology in media. There are countless instances of Norse, Greek, Medieval, and to a lesser extent Chinese and Japanese myth representation.

The closest I've seen are the use of zombies in popular culture and Egyptian mummies and shit, but in the case of those, especially of zombies, the African origin is very diminished and in most cases being non-existent.

Why is it like that? If these European and Asian stories are cool enough, how come Yoruban and other myths be cool enough as well?

Zombies went from Haitian Voudoun mystical slave labor to Romero's resurrected corpses seeking brains to the modern scientific allegory of infection/plague. And have been whitewashed in the process of becoming an extremely popular concept.

There has been a minor amount of African-American myth and theology used for stories. Various movies based on Voudoun (Serpent and the Rainbow, Angel Heart, the original White Zombie, Princess and the Frog) exist, as well as movies that hint at Hoodoo (anything that has something happen at a crossroads in the Mississippi Delta, Black Snake Moan). And Brer Rabbit tales (I always wonder if some of that seeped into Bug Bunny).

But yeah, very few real African stories. A little bit of Anansi, but that's either children's stories or Neil Gaiman. It's probably the Rule of McDuffie - too many black people involved and it's a black movie. Unless you're Tyler Perry, that's not a money making proposition.

RedSwirl

I'll re-watch the first episode of SAO subbed somewhere and figure out what I'd rather do.

I just haven't had time to watch anime recently (read: the last couple years). Or the money to buy all the Blu-Rays that came out in the last 12 months.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I'm soooo done with drunk people for a while...fuck, this weekend got totally ruined.

Went to a party with a chick i know, she's not bad looking, but we aren't interested in each other that way. And in the time i've known her, she's always been able to handle her drink. So i wan't worried. Big mistake.

She proceeded to get quite drunk at the get together before the party, so i had to try and calm her down and sober her up. Anyway, managed to get into the party, despite club management keeping an eye on her and telling her she couldn't have another drink until 2 hours after entry.

In that time, she managed to lose her iphone, piss off a few friends and faint on the club stairs. So of course, i had to fucking take her back to the hotel. End of the night for me right? Nooope!

Got back, and i briefly stepped out of the room to grab some food. When i got back, she was all packed and wanted to drive home. I didn't reach her car keys in time, so i had to block the door and wouldn't let her out. So she called the police to tell them that i was holding her hostage.

At this point, my mind switched into a higher gear. Like you over the pond, the police here don't ask questions first when a black dude is involved. Instead of calling 999, i rang the LOCAL police force number, and eloquently explained everything to them. The person on the phone managed to patch in to the other call (my friend on the line to the national police line). So at least they could establish that she was drunk and make a note of that. Anyway, they sent officers to the hotel. I went out to meet them first, and the whole "oh i didn't expect you to be black based on your accent" thing helped break the ice. The female officers were still showing hostile body language to me, so i was extra polite to them.

Long story short, they went up to the room, got the car keys off my friend, moved me to another room (cos she told them she was annoyed at me), and this morning, i made my own way back home (we originally drove up together). Police thanked me for preventing a messy situation, the chick is still not talking to me and i just needed to vent.

Phew!

I'm soooo done with drunk people for a while...fuck, this weekend got totally ruined.

Went to a party with a chick i know, she's not bad looking, but we aren't interested in each other that way. And in the time i've known her, she's always been able to handle her drink. So i wan't worried. Big mistake.

She proceeded to get quite drunk at the get together before the party, so i had to try and calm her down and sober her up. Anyway, managed to get into the party, despite club management keeping an eye on her and telling her she couldn't have another drink until 2 hours after entry.

In that time, she managed to lose her iphone, piss off a few friends and faint on the club stairs. So of course, i had to fucking take her back to the hotel. End of the night for me right? Nooope!

Got back, and i briefly stepped out of the room to grab some food. When i got back, she was all packed and wanted to drive home. I didn't reach her car keys in time, so i had to block the door and wouldn't let her out. So she called the police to tell them that i was holding her hostage.

At this point, my mind switched into a higher gear. Like you over the pond, the police here don't ask questions first when a black dude is involved. Instead of calling 999, i rang the LOCAL police force number, and eloquently explained everything to them. The person on the phone managed to patch in to the other call (my friend on the line to the national police line). So at least they could establish that she was drunk and make a note of that. Anyway, they sent officers to the hotel. I went out to meet them first, and the whole "oh i didn't expect you to be black based on your accent" thing helped break the ice. The female officers were still showing hostile body language to me, so i was extra polite to them.

Long story short, they went up to the room, got the car keys off my friend, moved me to another room (cos she told them she was annoyed at me), and this morning, i made my own way back home (we originally drove up together). Police thanked me for preventing a messy situation, the chick is still not talking to me and i just needed to vent.

Phew!

Like a bawse.

Gorillaz

Phew!

I have enough hassle trying to make sure I don't do stupid shit when I'm drunk, I can't deal with handling other people. I mean I can if it comes down to that sure, but sobering up quick to help a friend and there drunk asses from not getting into a fight gets old. Don't blame you for just leaving and trying to clear your name so she wouldn't fuck you over

cdyhybrid

Phew!

Man, shitty situation. You handled it great, though. I'd be hella salty if I had to deal with that.

Slayven

Phew!
Damn she almost had you doing a bid. Time to lose her number.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
why the fuck are some white people so hung up on being able to use "nigger?"

oh no

a word that isn't socially acceptable for you to say

and in return all you get is like every other possible advantage

goddamn

so fuckin sick of this shit

Slayven

oh no

goddamn

Never against white people saying, I just want to know WHY some have a pressing need to say it. No one have given me an honest answer.

oh no

goddamn

Most of my racist family thinks it's a white person's word. No Joke.

oh no

goddamn

Because we have it all and we want that one last thing.

Also if I'm being honest "this nigga" in that kind of disappointed/disdainful voice is some funny shit to me when you guys say it.

They already got Johnny Depp to play Tonto

me, I'm just surprised to see Keanu Reeves in a movie. Thought that mothafucka retired and was living life mean mugging people from his bench

speaking of talking with friends after movies, friend and I started talking about if mutants really existed like in The Wolverine(pretty solid movie, btw). I said them mothafuckas would have to have their own school with their own teachers and shit. I know the whole seperate but equal thing, but black people aren't born with lasers that shoot out of their eyes or can crush your head with their steel bodies. I aint letting my child hang around some emotionally volatile kids with weapons can pop out of their hands at any moment. I aint about dat life.

ReiGun

People like to bandwagon the popular opinion. Give it a shot and decide for yourself. Of course, I'm not saying I disagree.. just that it's not great to judge prematurely. Overall I found it enjoyable.
I mean, I had already watched the first six episodes before last night and wasn't really impressed. Really, I just the reactions in the thread were funny.

harSon

Banned
My Asian homie going in on Keeanu's new flick. He said he's waiting on Reese Witherspoon to play Harriet Tubman.

At least Keanu Reeves is Native Hawaiian and Chinese, although that's not the reason the screenplay is written the way it is or the reason he was cast within the film.

Dereck

oh no

goddamn

This is a whole new perspective to me that I have not thought about. Htown you hilarious guy.

Imm0rt4l

Why are people acting like a White person can't be a Samurai?

One of my favorite samurai flicks has a white protag(and a white chinese speaking antag) strangely enough.

sword-of-the-stranger.jpg
It's an anime though, there doesn't seem to be a way to discern who's who in anime so I don't really care .

Dereck

Phew!
You handled that well, very well done.

Except there was a white and black samurai. The only reason there wasn't more was because Japan shut down it's ports to outsiders. Most people consider Jules Brunet a Samurai because he received the swords, armor, and kimono however the war started and he never went through the rest of the ceremonies. Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn was a Hatamoto (Samurai retainer to the Shogun).

harSon

Banned
Except there was a white and black samurai. The only reason there wasn't more was because Japan shut down it's ports to outsiders. Most people consider Jules Brunet a Samurai because he received the swords, armor, and kimono however the war started and he never went through the rest of the ceremonies. Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn was a Hatamoto (Samurai retainer to the Shogun).

The problem is the fact that Hollywood will exclusively focus on these exceptions to the rule. For every non-Japanese Samurai, there were hundreds of thousands of Japanese ones. But when Hollywood makes a movie, you can bet your ass it'll be from the point of view of the white one.

I don't even mind the movies where a white person was brought up within a foreign culture. I mean I do, but it's less insulting then ones where some white dude bogarts his way into a foreign culture, and masters what took the natives a lifetime in less than a year (Mighty Whitey). That shit is annoying as fuck.

Top Bottom