• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Given that historically there may have been white samurai isn't really an issue with me. But I feel it's a disingenuous justification to put a white lead in a film about Japanese culture, when really they wouldn't have casted an Asian dude anyways, this isn't some sort of exception, it's the rule. It would be one thing if there were a bunch of Hollywood films on samurai, and 47 ronin just so happened to be 1 film about a white samurai, but that isn't the case. Asians get no kinda love in Hollywood and I think it's fucked up to hide behind a small bit of history to justify an entire industry's apprehensiveness to rep Asians thoroughly. Instead what we have is the same cliche of the white dude saving the day, because for whatever reason he is intrinsically superior. It's not grossly offensive, to me, but I can't deny the subtle racism. That said, I have my eye on the movie.
I agree but that's not what I asked. Let's be honest if someone said "Why is there a black cowboy in Unforgiven? There was no black cowboys." People would be down their throats trying to correct them.

Kaep why you say that about James Bond?

Have you ever really paid attention to them? The earlier films and books are all about Western (which means White) dominance over the inferior East (The Other).

Did any of you guys watch Fillmore?

Fillmore Opening

I *wish* that middle school was like that. Though my brothers and I always wondered "why do they run?" I mean, you gotta come back to school tomorrow. If they see your face, just give up.

Nakazato

I saw the To Do list....

It was funny.

Q&A with Maggie Carey and Bill Hader after. Bill is fucking Hilarious calling out ppl for leaving the Q&A. Nice ppl as well.

Say a dude that looked like timedog there but it was crazy built but short than timedog about 6'1

I saw the To Do list....

It was funny.

Q&A with Maggie Carey and Bill Hader after. Bill is fucking Hilarious calling out ppl for leaving the Q&A. Nice ppl as well.

Say a dude that looked like timedog there but it was crazy built but short than timedog about 6'1

Timedog Jr?

Devo didn't even invite us to the baby shower or the christening...that some cold shit

Nakazato

Timedog Jr?

Devo didn't even invite us to the baby shower or the christening...that some cold shit

Nope she said we ain't good enuf for TDj

harSon stay losing

tumblr_mqnrckp8MT1rqcu9eo1_1280_zps3bdb6018.jpg

harSon

Banned
I agree but that's not what I asked. Let's be honest if someone said "Why is there a black cowboy in Unforgiven? There was no black cowboys." People would be down their throats trying to correct them.

Obviously, but not for the reason you're thinking. Blacks were 10-15% of the population within the country and era that Unforgiven takes place in, and unlike white samurais, black people within the West weren't an extreme rarity, they were commonplace.

Edit: And jesus christ at this dude's house in the Post Your Gaming Setup thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72573611&postcount=1578 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73044146&postcount=1628

Obviously, but not for the reason you're thinking. Blacks were 10-15% of the population within the country and era that Unforgiven takes place in, and unlike white samurais, black people within the West weren't an extreme rarity, they were commonplace.

This reminds me how much I would love to see a Bass Reeves biopic. So gangsta.

harSon

Banned
This reminds me how much I would love to see a Bass Reeves biopic. So gangsta.

They made a shitty low budget straight to dvd one not to long ago :/ As for biopics that I've been dreaming of, Toussaint L'Ouverture has to be number one. Such an amazing story.

So this is how my life's going:

Been working for this deadend ass job just to go back to school for Culinary Management.. to become a Executive Chef.. only for me to decide that I can't deal with with the stress and body pain..

Now I finally have enough for tuition to go back to school to become a Computer Systems Analyst.. I now need to save up so I can buy a laptop.

YAY ME, bought a shit load of expensive knives. only to cook badass meals for myself ( & the s.o.) in the long term.

Slayven

Been working for this deadend ass job just to go back to school for Culinary Management.. to become a Executive Chef.. only for me to decide that I can't deal with with the stress and body pain..

Now I finally have enough for tuition to go back to school to become a Computer Systems Analyst.. I now need to save up so I can buy laptop.

YAY ME, bought a shit load of expensive knives. only to cook badass meals for my self ( & the s.o.) in the long term.
Just keep striving for what you want man. How much do those knives cost anyway?

Nakazato

Very. Ally shawkat made it worth it

Now I finally have enough for tuition to go back to school to become a Computer Systems Analyst.. I now need to save up so I can buy laptop.

If I cant get my knee healthy in a year or 2 ill go back to school as well for CSA or nursing. I dont wanna struggle no more. The constant looking for gigs struggle isnt fun.

harSon

Banned

YAY ME, bought a shit load of expensive knives. only to cook badass meals for my self ( & the s.o.) in the long term.

You can be Michael Ealy in Think Like a Man

Edit: And jesus christ at this dude's house in the Post Your Gaming Setup thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=72573611&postcount=1578 and http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=73044146&postcount=1628
What do gaming set ups have to do with those pics? And that dude has deep cherry low cabinets with dawn high cabinets in the same room? Aha!

-turns up his nose-

Imm0rt4l

Have you ever really paid attention to them? The earlier films and books are all about Western (which means White) dominance over the inferior East (The Other).

Honestly, yea I could see that, but I have to ask how common were white samurai? Also, as a society I'd imagine we're a little more well versed in our owns countries history. I think it's fair to say that we're probably a little ignorant of Japanese culture(if non jp samurai/ronin were as common as black cowboys), maybe even understandably so given how we sort of cast Asians to the side.

I think Samurai might have a certain reverence that cowboys don't have, perhaps because it's foreign, maybe in part because this is a gaming message board. But there is a great deal of culture that you ascribe to a character when you say they're a samurai. Some of us probably think of rituals, a strict adherence to bushido, the language and the mastery of the sword. Maybe we romanticize their culture more than it should be, but I don't think so. I mean you have relatively modern men like Yukio Mishima performing ritual suicide because of his devotion(obsession?) to bushido, so I do think samurai were simply bout dat life. I think it comes down to one being more common than the other.

I've always thought of Bond as being very imperialist for sure and even more sexist, not quite down right racist. He's racist in the way that you would expect a white man to be racist back in the early 50's or early 60's. That sort of product of the time racism.

RedSwirl

JN looks like she's had some work done to herself. She didn't even look bad before. People confuse me.

I think JN's reached a point where that cosplay is actually paying the bills. She's gotta be getting paid at least a little bit for all that official promotion she's doing for those games.

I think JN's reached a point where that cosplay is actually paying the bills. She's gotta be getting paid at least a little bit for all that official promotion she's doing for those games.

Pftt oh yeah I mean the whole job with Suda 51 for Killer is Dead answers this. No way we've been seeing that much of her and she's not getting $$$.

Pftt oh yeah I mean the whole job with Suda 51 for Killer is Dead answers this. No way we've been seeing that much of her and she's not getting $$$.

I cant hate the hustle. She is using her assets to make her bread then do that shit. I watch Phil Defranco and she has been getting a serious media push from his site, the whole Lollipop Chainsaw affair and she fluid in Japanese. She those cats wet dreams so she milk them for what she can. I say more power to her. But shes blonde..... dont do shit for me. Lol

Just bought a powerball ticket (and got ID'd for it). If I win y'all ain't getting shit.

Thats fuckin foul. At least get us a nicer damn bucket.

EDIT: Im curious as to how we are viewed. Like in your mind whenever you read someones post, do you have a mental image in your head as to how you think they sound?

And if so how they hell you think I sound? Just curious

I cant hate the hustle. She is using her assets to make her bread then do that shit. I watch Phil Defranco and she has been getting a serious media push from his site, the whole Lollipop Chainsaw affair and she fluid in Japanese. She those cats wet dreams so she milk them for what she can. I say more power to her. But shes blonde..... dont do shit for me. Lol

Agreed and cosigned

Honestly, yea I could see that, but I have to ask how common were white samurai? Also, as a society I'd imagine we're a little more well versed in our owns countries history. I think it's fair to say that we're probably a little ignorant of Japanese culture(if non jp samurai/ronin were as common as black cowboys), maybe even understandably so given how we sort of cast Asians to the side.

I think Samurai might have a certain reverence that cowboys don't have, perhaps because it's foreign, maybe in part because this is a gaming message board. But there is a great deal of culture that you ascribe to a character when you say they're a samurai. Some of us probably think of rituals, a strict adherence to bushido, the language and the mastery of the sword. Maybe we romanticize their culture more than it should be, but I don't think so. I mean you have relatively modern men like Yukio Mishima performing ritual suicide because of his devotion(obsession?) to bushido, so I do think samurai were simply bout dat life. I think it comes down to one being more common than the other.

I've always thought of Bond as being very imperialist for sure and even more sexist, not quite down right racist. He's racist in the way that you would expect a white man to be racist back in the early 50's or early 60's. That sort of product of the time racism.

I wrote a long ass response to this but I got up to take a piss and my kid fucked with my laptop...

tl;dr version
Anyways, like I said ignorance is the answer.

Oh and I still think Mishima killed himself because he was gay. That interview where he said he hated having to pretend he was something he wasn't just sells me on that idea. All that other shit was just him being an narcissistic ass.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
The antidote to apathy

no, the answer is not "1 free redhead for every college graduate"

I truly believe most of what this is saying is true. Many people may not be book smart or have the same kind of ambitions as their neighbors but that doesn't necessarily prevent them from being a force for good. This TED talk in particular focuses on Canada but there are real social barriers in place everywhere that make people more apathetic and I feel like no country has perfected those barriers more than the United States.

Top Bottom