• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I'm soooo done with drunk people for a while...fuck, this weekend got totally ruined.

Went to a party with a chick i know, she's not bad looking, but we aren't interested in each other that way. And in the time i've known her, she's always been able to handle her drink. So i wan't worried. Big mistake.

She proceeded to get quite drunk at the get together before the party, so i had to try and calm her down and sober her up. Anyway, managed to get into the party, despite club management keeping an eye on her and telling her she couldn't have another drink until 2 hours after entry.

In that time, she managed to lose her iphone, piss off a few friends and faint on the club stairs. So of course, i had to fucking take her back to the hotel. End of the night for me right? Nooope!

Got back, and i briefly stepped out of the room to grab some food. When i got back, she was all packed and wanted to drive home. I didn't reach her car keys in time, so i had to block the door and wouldn't let her out. So she called the police to tell them that i was holding her hostage.

At this point, my mind switched into a higher gear. Like you over the pond, the police here don't ask questions first when a black dude is involved. Instead of calling 999, i rang the LOCAL police force number, and eloquently explained everything to them. The person on the phone managed to patch in to the other call (my friend on the line to the national police line). So at least they could establish that she was drunk and make a note of that. Anyway, they sent officers to the hotel. I went out to meet them first, and the whole "oh i didn't expect you to be black based on your accent" thing helped break the ice. The female officers were still showing hostile body language to me, so i was extra polite to them.

Long story short, they went up to the room, got the car keys off my friend, moved me to another room (cos she told them she was annoyed at me), and this morning, i made my own way back home (we originally drove up together). Police thanked me for preventing a messy situation, the chick is still not talking to me and i just needed to vent.

Phew!

Fuck that you shouldn't be talking to her. I've ended friendships for less and I recommend you do as well.

Except there was a white and black samurai. The only reason there wasn't more was because Japan shut down it's ports to outsiders. Most people consider Jules Brunet a Samurai because he received the swords, armor, and kimono however the war started and he never went through the rest of the ceremonies. Jan Joosten van Lodensteijn was a Hatamoto (Samurai retainer to the Shogun).

Most people just get tired of the exceptional white individual always being the main subject of these films. Major Hollywood backing goes into it. We can't see a film about a particular group of minorities, can't empathize unless a white person basically adapts their culture. It's pretty insulting.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I'm soooo done with drunk people for a while...fuck, this weekend got totally ruined.

Went to a party with a chick i know, she's not bad looking, but we aren't interested in each other that way. And in the time i've known her, she's always been able to handle her drink. So i wan't worried. Big mistake.

She proceeded to get quite drunk at the get together before the party, so i had to try and calm her down and sober her up. Anyway, managed to get into the party, despite club management keeping an eye on her and telling her she couldn't have another drink until 2 hours after entry.

In that time, she managed to lose her iphone, piss off a few friends and faint on the club stairs. So of course, i had to fucking take her back to the hotel. End of the night for me right? Nooope!

Got back, and i briefly stepped out of the room to grab some food. When i got back, she was all packed and wanted to drive home. I didn't reach her car keys in time, so i had to block the door and wouldn't let her out. So she called the police to tell them that i was holding her hostage.

At this point, my mind switched into a higher gear. Like you over the pond, the police here don't ask questions first when a black dude is involved. Instead of calling 999, i rang the LOCAL police force number, and eloquently explained everything to them. The person on the phone managed to patch in to the other call (my friend on the line to the national police line). So at least they could establish that she was drunk and make a note of that. Anyway, they sent officers to the hotel. I went out to meet them first, and the whole "oh i didn't expect you to be black based on your accent" thing helped break the ice. The female officers were still showing hostile body language to me, so i was extra polite to them.

Long story short, they went up to the room, got the car keys off my friend, moved me to another room (cos she told them she was annoyed at me), and this morning, i made my own way back home (we originally drove up together). Police thanked me for preventing a messy situation, the chick is still not talking to me and i just needed to vent.

Phew!
Wow that's bull, do you know if she remember's anything from the night before, she could be ashamed at herself and can't talk to you because of it.

FyreWulff

Most people just get tired of the exceptional white individual always being the main subject of these films. Major Hollywood backing goes into it. We can't see a film about a particular group of minorities, can't empathize unless a white person basically adapts their culture. It's pretty insulting.

The sad part is the suits don't think twice about a movie with a bunch of white people being just a movie, but it's something like once you have 3 or 4 black actors it's a "black movie". They won't outright do it but they'll nudge a character being recast as white.

His name escapes me now but there was a comics guy that also noted this happens in the comics industry. Have a 5-man white team and nobody blinks. Add a black guy, nobody cares. Once you hit that 3 or 4 mark, it's a "black comic" and white boys think they're under attack.

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
Wow that's bull, do you know if she remember's anything from the night before, she could be ashamed at herself and can't talk to you because of it.

If she didn't, there is a nicely typed police report to jog her memory, and most of the peeps at the party who saw what state she was in. She can sulk all she wants, i'm no enabler, especially when it comes to alcohol.

Nothing more dangerous to a black man than a crying white girl

That's what shook me into calling the cops quick. Probably would have been the same outcome, but if they had arrived just on her account of the story, i'd have been cuffed first and made to wait in their patrol car, no questions asked.

The sad part is the suits don't think twice about a movie with a bunch of white people being just a movie, but it's something like once you have 3 or 4 black actors it's a "black movie". They won't outright do it but they'll nudge a character being recast as white.

His name escapes me now but there was a comics guy that also noted this happens in the comics industry. Have a 5-man white team and nobody blinks. Add a black guy, nobody cares. Once you hit that 3 or 4 mark, it's a "black comic" and white boys think they're under attack.

Dwayne McDuffie. RIP.

Village

Black people are scary, they want things.

FyreWulff

I might be saying something slighty ignorant here, correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like the same reaction when a female character is created or put over the white male character in works or games. Us white boys have all these avatars and mediums to have power and other fantasies come to life. Thousands of toys to play with, but something that doesn't cater to them is created (a game with a black cast) and their fun is being 'eroded', even though they lose nothing at all.

"You got your one or two toys to play with, I still need to add to my collection of 4,834 things I've got piled up over here. You're good."

EscoBlades

Ubisoft Marketing
I might be saying something slighty ignorant here, correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like the same reaction when a female character is created or put over the white male character in works or games. Us white boys have all these avatars and mediums to have power and other fantasies come to life. Thousands of toys to play with, but something that doesn't cater to them is created (a game with a female character, a game with a black cast) and their fun is being 'eroded', even though they lose nothing at all.

"You got your one or two toys to play with, I still need to add to my collection of 4,834 items I've got piled up over here. You're good."

Position of privilege and the fear of the loss of that.

Village

I might be saying something slighty ignorant here, correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels like the same reaction when a female character is created or put over the white male character in works or games. Us white boys have all these avatars and mediums to have power and other fantasies come to life. Thousands of toys to play with, but something that doesn't cater to them is created (a game with a black cast) and their fun is being 'eroded', even though they lose nothing at all.

"You got your one or two toys to play with, I still need to add to my collection of 4,834 things I've got piled up over here. You're good."

A fatman from boston called it " the sandbox", and yes its a thing.

Idris elba

The absolute worst is the assumption a woman will be boring, unlikable or unsympathetic because countless women have been written that way. Women can be just as interesting characters, flawed, strong, driven but they're almost always written the same fucking way.

RedSwirl

The absolute worst is the assumption a woman will be boring, unlikable or unsympathetic because countless women have been written that way. Women can be just as interesting characters, flawed, strong, driven but they're almost always written the same fucking way.

From a producer's perspective it's more about safety.

Young white males are the largest movie-going audience, and they're afraid a female protagonist or too many black characters will draw them away. Probably the same for games too. Well, for games it's probably more an issue of the people making games in North America designing characters based on their own imagination. Non-white protagonists seem to be slightly more common in games made in continental Europe.

Good morning fam.

Went and saw RIPD with/for my girl. Yeah.....

In other news I agree with moviebob. But I can't wait till we have another podcast to discuss the African american role in the film industry. To be honest and I've said this before you can make a movie about Cleopatra starring Elizabeth Taylor and the 10 Commandments starring Charlton "damn dirty apes" Heston and it will be widely accepted. And adored.....

@Esco I'm proud of you pimp. Cut that mother fucker off like its a hydra head and cauterize the neck. Then nuke that shit from orbit.

Its the only way to be sure.

Good morning fam.

image.php

Gorillaz

Years ago people in hollywood were saying that Ryan Reynolds was going to be the next big thing, saying he is Deadpool and the movie is a lock.

Today, dude bombed in 2 movies...TWO...A men in black rip off and a kids movies

He bombed in a kids movie.....

It's over for RR and that deadpool project is still tech. dead but with how horrible he's been at the box office that movie is over as well.

Phew!
good shit! i dunno if i would have handled things that well.

Slayven

Years ago people in hollywood were saying that Ryan Reynolds was going to be the next big thing, saying he is Deadpool and the movie is a lock.

Today, dude bombed in 2 movies...TWO...A men in black rip off and a kids movies

He bombed in a kids movie.....

It's over for RR and that deadpool project is still tech. dead but with how horrible he's been at the box office that movie is over as well.

I am trying to remember the last animated movie that bombed bombed. And I can't remmeber. Cause kid targeted movies are kind of rare

Imm0rt4l

Phew!

I don't understand how she thinks she's in a position to be mad..

1. Time to update my avatar.
2. That is the exact face I made when I typed that.

What angered me is that the movie had actual potential with the lore and the ideas but literally everything fell apart. The movie had no identity. It didn't know what it wanted to be. It was a mess. With wasted talent.(Bridges)

You know I just realized the last good sci fi show I watched with more than one minority was Eureka. In retrospect I'm surprised it lasted as long but the actors were great in their roles.

From a producer's perspective it's more about safety.

Young white males are the largest movie-going audience, and they're afraid a female protagonist or too many black characters will draw them away. Probably the same for games too. Well, for games it's probably more an issue of the people making games in North America designing characters based on their own imagination. Non-white protagonists seem to be slightly more common in games made in continental Europe.

Thats why everytime i hear "i dont see race" shtick i fucking laugh.

Imm0rt4l

I don't even follow these cosplay chicks, I just happen to know who Jessica Nigri is cuz she's everywhere, even my fighting game streams.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Good morning fam.

Pretty much. I've never seen such a cash in movie ever. I should have known the moment I saw Kevin bacon in the movie and not in trailers or commercials that this cast was in it for the money.

The problem is the fact that Hollywood will exclusively focus on these exceptions to the rule. For every non-Japanese Samurai, there were hundreds of thousands of Japanese ones. But when Hollywood makes a movie, you can bet your ass it'll be from the point of view of the white one.

I don't even mind the movies where a white person was brought up within a foreign culture. I mean I do, but it's less insulting then ones where some white dude bogarts his way into a foreign culture, and masters what took the natives a lifetime in less than a year (Mighty Whitey). That shit is annoying as fuck.

That's not the question I asked. I asked why are people acting like a white person can't be a Samurai? The answer is that they don't know much about history and have a clouded view of what a Samurai was which is usually influenced by the portrayal of them (both wast and east). I'd argue that their narrow view is strictly born out of ignorance. Look at the 47 Ronin thread people have a problem with a white person being a Samurai. Not because he is white (or the mighty whitey trope) but because they have an image of Samurai being Japanese and Japanese only. It's like when a person is angry at the idea of black cowboys while ignoring famous men like Bill Pickett.

On to film. If anyone really cares about Hollywood adding or changing things to fit its white washed version of media they should be mad that 47 Ronins is nothing like the real story. Instead it is nothing more than an Orientalist story of the East being strange and mystical in nature. Now that's when you can bring the race of the character into the discourse. Except the movie hasn't been released so we really don't know why Keanu's character is special or chosen.

But with all things context matters.

with that I would like to say James Bond is the most racist series off all time.

Slayven

Pretty much. I've never seen such a cash in movie ever. I should have known the moment I saw Kevin bacon in the movie and not in trailers or commercials that this cast was in it for the money.
Kevin Bacon in that joint? I ain't seen him in a minute.

JN looks like she's had some work done to herself. She didn't even look bad before. People confuse me.

And she always posed, want to see some natural.

Esco your movie is on, "Obsessed".

Imm0rt4l

That's not the question I asked. I asked why are people acting like a white person can't be a Samurai? The answer is that they don't know much about history and have a clouded view of what a Samurai was which is usually influenced by the portrayal of them (both wast and east). I'd argue that their narrow view is strictly born out of ignorance. Look at the 47 Ronin thread people have a problem with a white person being a Samurai. Not because he is white (or the mighty whitey trope) but because they have an image of Samurai being Japanese and Japanese only. It's like when a person is angry at the idea of black cowboys while ignoring famous men like Bill Pickett.

On to film. If anyone really cares about Hollywood adding or changing things to fit its white washed version of media they should be mad that 47 Ronins is nothing like the real story. Instead it is nothing more than an Orientalist story of the East being strange and mystical in nature. Now that's when you can bring the race of the character into the discourse. Except the movie hasn't been released so we really don't know why Keanu's character is special or chosen.

But with all things context matters.

with that I would like to say James Bond is the most racist series off all time.

Given that historically there may have been white samurai isn't really an issue with me. But I feel it's a disingenuous justification to put a white lead in a film about Japanese culture, when really they wouldn't have casted an Asian dude anyways, this isn't some sort of exception, it's the rule. It would be one thing if there were a bunch of Hollywood films on samurai, and 47 ronin just so happened to be 1 film about a white samurai, but that isn't the case. Asians get no kinda love in Hollywood and I think it's fucked up to hide behind a small bit of history to justify an entire industry's apprehensiveness to rep Asians thoroughly. Instead what we have is the same cliche of the white dude saving the day, because for whatever reason he is intrinsically superior. It's not grossly offensive, to me, but I can't deny the subtle racism. That said, I have my eye on the movie.

Kevin Bacon in that joint? I ain't seen him in a minute.

And she always posed, want to see some natural.

Esco your movie is on, "Obsessed".

I swear ever since Hollow Man that fucker plays a villain. And it was a surprise when I saw him. He was in none of the promotional material.

Top Bottom