• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT4| Learn to love the BBC

oh my

now all we need is john cena's jiggly ass and we're set

wpid-tumblr_mhhni4mgrp1qh02bxo1_400.gif

FyreWulff

Lord jesus, my heart. Know about those bad Ga thunderstorms?

Well the lights went, and they came back 45 minutes later. I was playing with my nephew and I started smelling smoke, I look up and the alarm panel is on fire. We rushed out and called 911, where the lady asked for everything but to spread my buttcheaks. The fire people found lightening traveled up our phone line and blew a circuitboard in in the alarm panel. Thank god it was only the alarm thing.

good, fast thinking

in slightly related news

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=638278

Onemic

You are right that he said he didn't want to talk about the issues earlier because he didn't want to distract from the Trayvon case, but the issues he's complaining about have nothing to do with the case in the first place! He's bringing it up for the same reason the far right are, because he and others see Trayvon being shot as his fault/a issue with black culture. Otherwise why even talk about it in the same segment as he mentioned Trayvon or mention Bill O'Reilly who was critiquing Trayvon?

He's not bringing the issues up because of the case though. I don't know where you got that idea from, but from the video it's pretty clear it's just a general discussion he's having with no real connection to the Trayvon case, aside form the fact that the source he's taking it from is from Bill O'Reilley, who I'm going to assume said that amidst the case. Why would he bring those issues up with the intention to bring it back to Trayvon and what he or the community could have done when he lambasts those that were trying to do the same the entire time throughout the cases duration? It doesn't make any sense. I never knew he did it after his Trayvon segment, and if that's the case then yes, perhaps he could have used a different segment to talk about those issues(even though by context the whole reason why he's bringing it up is because of those people constantly using black issues to deflect from particular cases regarding prejudice against blacks) I think it's pretty clear from the content of the video and the criticizing he's doing of said group that his intention is not to paint the Trayvon situation as something that is the fault of the black community.

Deprive

Cena's jiggly ass :/ Now I got that stuck in my head...

Spawn needs to stay dead and gone. Crazy that Spawn is still running after all these years. If Fox wants to do a movie, I dunno... do something Milestone related.

RedSwirl

I haven't been able to find a link to the Don Lemon quotes but I suspect it's something similar to Bill Cosby's outburst a while ago.

On that whole subject, I would say that it certainly wouldn't hurt if we as a people started acting better. It certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone didn't feel like "acting hard" and perpetuating the rap stereotype was a requirement of being black in America. It certainly wouldn't fix the whole problem by itself either, and you can't play 100 percent of the blame on any single group. Yeah a lot of people gotta work twice as hard to get half as far, even today, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone would at least try.

Kreed

He's not bringing the issues up because of the case though. I don't know where you got that idea from, but from the video it's pretty clear it's just a general discussion he's having with no real connection to the Trayvon case, aside form the fact that the source he's taking it from is from Bill O'Reilley, who I'm going to assume said that amidst the case. Why would he bring those issues up with the intention to bring it back to Trayvon and what he or the community could have done when he lambasts those that were trying to do the same the entire time throughout the cases duration? It doesn't make any sense. I never knew he did it after his Trayvon segment, and if that's the case then yes, perhaps he could have used a different segment to talk about those issues(even though by context the whole reason why he's bringing it up is because of those people constantly using black issues to deflect from particular cases regarding prejudice against blacks) I think it's pretty clear from the content of the video and the criticizing he's doing of said group that his intention is not to paint the Trayvon situation as something that is the fault of the black community.

To begin with, let's not pretend that that the reason all these news channels are having segments right now that are talking about issues within the black community isn't because of the Trayvon case verdict/Obama's response to the Trayvon verdict. The Bill O'Reilly segment for example was his response to Obama's speech after the verdict happened and Bill's opinion as to what black people need to do in order to prevent Trayvon situations from happening again. That in itself is a problem because Trayvon's death had nothing to do with those issues vs "walking while black" and Don Lemon, whether you agree or don't with his comments, is fueling this problem with the far right not wanting to take responsibility for the verdict in regards to gun control/gun laws by simply continuing this dialogue while this verdict is still a news item.

Going back to Don Lemon's segment, he did state that he prevented guests from talking about black community issues while the case was going on, but he never addresses why these issues don't relate to the case, which is what many on the far right want to believe, vs just stopping them because he didn't want them to distract people from the case. He never clarifies that they are completely different issues and here he continues this line of thought by not clarifying himself while having this segment so soon after the verdict is still fresh in people's minds. IMO, it is because he believes these issues are one and the same and just didn't want to talk about it while the case was going on, but we can agree to disagree here since there is nothing in the video that proves this.

But even if you don't believe that he is doing this on purpose, this is what most people are thinking. Most right wing sites/facebook commenters/etc are taking his video and put them side by side with the Bill O'Reilly one as reasons why the black community should be mad at themselves for what happened to Trayvon and shouldn't be protesting the verdict.

I haven't been able to find a link to the Don Lemon quotes but I suspect it's something similar to Bill Cosby's outburst a while ago.

On that whole subject, I would say that it certainly wouldn't hurt if we as a people started acting better. It certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone didn't feel like "acting hard" and perpetuating the rap stereotype was a requirement of being black in America. It certainly wouldn't fix the whole problem by itself either, and you can't play 100 percent of the blame on any single group. Yeah a lot of people gotta work twice as hard to get half as far, even today, but it certainly wouldn't hurt if everyone would at least try.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/28/don-lemon-bill-oreilly-black-people_n_3666966.html

RedSwirl

To begin with, let's not pretend that that the reason all these news channels are having segments right now that are talking about issues within the black community isn't because of the Trayvon case verdict/Obama's response to the Trayvon verdict. The Bill O'Reilly segment for example was his response to Obama's speech after the verdict happened and Bill's opinion as to what black people need to do in order to prevent Trayvon situations from happening again. That in itself is a problem because Trayvon's death had nothing to do with those issues vs "walking while black" and Don Lemon, whether you agree or don't with his comments, is fueling this problem with the far right not wanting to take responsibility for the verdict in regards to gun control/gun laws by simply continuing this dialogue while this verdict is still a news item.

Going back to Don Lemon's segment, he did state that he prevented guests from talking about black community issues while the case was going on, but he never addresses why these issues don't relate to the case, which is what many on the far right want to believe, vs just stopping them because he didn't want them to distract people from the case. He never clarifies that they are completely different issues and here he continues this line of thought by not clarifying himself while having this segment so soon after the verdict is still fresh in people's minds. IMO, it is because he believes these issues are one and the same and just didn't want to talk about it while the case was going on, but we can agree to disagree here since there is nothing in the video that proves this.

But even if you don't believe that he is doing this on purpose, this is what most people are thinking. Most right wing sites/facebook commenters/etc are taking his video and put them side by side with the Bill O'Reilly one as reasons why the black community should be mad at themselves for what happened to Trayvon and shouldn't be protesting the verdict.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/28/don-lemon-bill-oreilly-black-people_n_3666966.html

Most definitely. My previous post still more or less stands though.

I only partially agree with Don Lemon though. You can't act like there aren't still external forces affecting black communities. People should still try to better themselves in spite of those forces, but they're still there.

The thing is even if 99% of black people rejected the stereotype and were successful certain people would still hold onto that 1% and blame it on any problems black people have.

But the situation would still be a lot better. Not ideal, but better.

Onemic

The thing is even if 99% of black people rejected the stereotype and were successful certain people would still hold onto that 1% and blame it on any problems black people have.

So there is no reason that we as a people should try and better ourselves because there will always be others to try and hold us back?

Most definitely. My previous post still more or less stands though.

I only partially agree with Don Lemon though. You can't act like there aren't still external forces affecting black communities. People should still try to better themselves in spite of those forces, but they're still there.

But the situation would still be a lot better. Not ideal, but better.

So there is no reason that we as a people should try and better ourselves because there will always be others to try and hold us back?

No that's not what I'm saying at all. That comment is directed at the view I often hear espoused that if these young cats would just pull up their pants and stop listening to rap everything would be better. I'm of the view that self-improvement is the only way for our situation to improve. Sorry for the confusion

PlayDat

Just saw that video.

Yo FUCK Don Lemon. Only thing in that video I can agree on is staying in school. Really isn't any downside to that.

Sagging pants? Who cares? Although I personally think it looks dumb I always saw it as fashion that'll come and go just as a bunch of other trends have in the past. If you're gonna make all sorts of assumptions about the kind of person who wears their clothes like that then you're the one with the problem not them. Saw a tweet the other day that mirrors my own feelings pretty well.
That mom who called her son the n-word would still be a bad parent if she had called him some other name. I'm getting tired of curbing my own behavior just to satisfy others that might be stereotyping me. My own use of the n-word is limited to when I'm reciting rap lyrics. I'll cop to feeling weird about using it even as a black dude, but the concept of reclaiming slurs seems like a a good thing to me. I can't begrudge others for using the word. Obviously using it in certain contexts is a bad idea (job interviews, around professors, etc) but that all falls back under stereotyping.

The littering thing makes no sense to me. I really don't see how that's specific to black people. Seems much more like a class issue than anything. In suburbs where people own their homes, they'll probably be much more inclined to keep the area clean. Just a thought, maybe I'm wrong on this one.

Lastly, teenage pregnancy among blacks obviously has less to do with having kids "just because they can" and more to do with a lack of sex education available to black youth.

I do give the man credit for pointing out how all the sudden attention toward black on black crime is nothing more than a deflection to keep from discussing real issues. People like to act as though the vast majority of crime committed against white people isn't done at the hands of other whites.

Thought experiment: if you wiped out every negative view people had of blacks in one day or you wiped out the glorification of violence, crime and prison culture, which would boost the state of Black America more?

Gorillaz

Idk why hearing my dad to tell me something then end it with nigga was hilarious.

Idk maybe it's different for everyone but hearing a parent say that to a kid as young as 6,7,8 is funny as hell. I couldn't take them serious

Slayven

So you would be consider a bad parent if you called your child the N-word ?

13 and below I would maybe yes. But past puberty? I got plenty "Nigga are you out your mind?"s and I was.

But I seen plenty of parents where the kid could do the "stinky leg" but couldn't spell their own name going on 8 years old.

Nakazato

#BlackPeopleProblems

Lolz. Deflections all over the country.

Why do continue to let mass media market us as if we're all poor as shit?

What about the African Americans who do get an education and are not let into the gentlemans club?

Its a percentage of 200 million vs a percentage of 38 million. Gotta fight the good fight. But there is no win in sight.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Is ti animu for people that outgrew it?

Sword Art Online makes you think you're watching a good show for 15 episodes then it hits you with the ultimate swerve.

Like when Luda told Chingy he'd be one of the best rappers ever.

Top Bottom