• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
5mIbmmp.jpg

Can't even spell juicy correct on that ratchet ass tat.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Ill agree with this tho I even looked for goodfellas on hulu but they didnt have it. Ive seen it like 30+ times and its still fucking good

GET YOUR FUCKING SHINEBOX

I laughed

the ruthless act of eating dinner with his mom when batts is dying in the trunk, even mocking him with dog painting was an amazing scene.

Pretty obvious they left her as is for whatever reason. But who are they going to pick that's already well toned and muscular considering it's Hollywood. Not to mention there are other factors at play.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Why are you asking me this? It's completely up in the air how much she'll bulk up or not. People should flip out when they actually show her as she's going to appear in the movie.

I don't even like the fact that she got the role. Its not like she could act either. She had about as much presence in F&F as a Spy versus Spy poster in a dorm room.

On top of that, the straight up cold shoulder given to actresses that don't fit the mold could've easily been cast aside here and wasn't. So yeah, its not about "can she bulk up" (I seriously doubt she will as the shooting for this is not that far off and you don't just go from her physique to anything near what many expected) as much as it was about not picking up a runway model to play the role of someone who put Supes in a sleeper hold.

I mean shit, if your argument is that they'll have all the time needed and trainers ready to get actors/actresses in shape then they why did Tyler Perry look like Slimfasted Uncle Phil in Alex Cross? Its hardly guaranteed and with women in particular it is much harder to get right on short notice.

ReiGun

Between WW yesterday and Amazing Spider-Man today, I've learned that superheroes need more explaining than quantum physics.

If they don't get their own movie, no one can ever figure them out. Man of Steel 2 and Amazing Spider Man 2 apparently gonna have people in the theater in tears trying to keep up. "I don't know enough of Wonder Woman's backstory to understand why she, a superhero, is punching that criminal. This is so confusing."

Imm0rt4l

Putting mass on isnt really that much of an issue. Especially if it is a cameo, and a little ways before a priper league movie. Its not like they shoot the scenes in order. If they could have her looking like biel in blade trinity that'd be nice because she's the actress they've got is pretty lanky and easily sub 20%, thats too lean. Putting on a fair bit of fat alone would go a long ways. Im going to assume that they deemed she was up for the physical demanda of a role. trainers/dietician/hollywood magic can take care of the rest.

All that said I dont have much faith in snyder or goyer.

I don't even like the fact that she got the role. Its not like she could act either. She had about as much presence in F&F as a Spy versus Spy poster in a dorm room.

On top of that, the straight up cold shoulder given to actresses that don't fit the mold could've easily been cast aside here and wasn't. So yeah, its not about "can she bulk up" (I seriously doubt she will as the shooting for this is not that far off and you don't just go from her physique to anything near what many expected) as much as it was about not picking up a runway model to play the role of someone who put Supes in a sleeper hold.

I mean shit, if your argument is that they'll have all the time needed and trainers ready to get actors/actresses in shape then they why did Tyler Perry look like Slimfasted Uncle Phil in Alex Cross? Its hardly guaranteed and with women in particular it is much harder to get right on short notice.

If we got someone like Carano then we'd just hear shit about how she can't act worth a damn. There is no "right choice." There never is a "right choice." Even for the men.

My argument isn't that they have all the time they need and trainers on the ready. My argument is that it's a case by case basis and freaking out about this stuff is just par for the course no matter the outcome or bulk put on by the actor/actress.

Such an actress would be rare.

Let's not examine why that is though, let's just whine about this single case where it affects stuff I like.

Putting mass on isnt really that much of an issue. Especially if it is a cameo, and a little ways before a priper league movie. Its not like they shoot the scenes in order. If they could have her looking like biel in blade trinity that'd be nice because she's the actress they've got is pretty lanky and easily sub 20%, thats too lean. Putting on a fair bit of fat alone would go a long ways. Im going to assume that they deemed she was up for the physical demanda of a role. trainers/dietician/hollywood magic can take care of the rest.

What's the timeline anyway?

Let's not examine why that is though, let's just whine about this single case where it affects stuff I like.

Isn't that the first step to examining why? Not everyone is ready to pen a dissertation on body image issues in the media. They can, however, call a spade a spade.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
If we got someone like Carano then we'd just hear shit about how she can't act worth a damn. There is no "right choice." There never is a "right choice." Even for the men.

My argument isn't that they have all the time they need and trainers on the ready. My argument is that it's a case by case basis and freaking out about this stuff is just par for the course no matter the outcome or bulk put on by the actor/actress.

Carano always sucked. She couldn't even do commercials right.

There's no "right choice" sure, but there are plenty clear wrong ones.

She couldn't even look right in a fly on the wall role in a fast and furious movie. Now she's supposed to be Wonder Woman? #cmonson

Carano always sucked. She couldn't even do commercials right.

There's no "right choice" sure, but there are plenty clear wrong ones.

She couldn't even look right in a fly on the wall role in a fast and furious movie. Now she's supposed to be Wonder Woman? #cmonson

/shrug

The question is why there aren't any "right choices" not "can this skinny gal even play the role" but whatever.

Doesn't matter if there's going to be a freak out anyway. By that logic then it doesn't matter who they tap to write or direct either.

Fanatics will always critique and complain but that doesn't invalidate a desire to see someone appropriate selected for the job. Could Gal do a good job? Sure. But it's a gamble and a larger gamble than seems necessary. Biel is more than good enough an actress and she's been an athlete most of her life (she was an AYSO soccer player) so her physique wouldn't be in question so that would've been a decent enough choice. Gemma Arterton is a good actress and has a better frame for building the necessary physique. There's plenty more actresses that would fit as well.

I mean, it's hard to even think of the selection from a "she knocked the audition out of the park!" angle because how much depth is there honestly going to be written to WW? The most likely reason that I can see for Gal's choice is simply because she's pretty but is flying relatively under the radar in terms of public perception.

We'll see if she ends up working out but there's more than enough reason to question the decision, beyond the normal fanatic reactions.

Doesn't matter if there's going to be a freak out anyway. By that logic then it doesn't matter who they tap to write or direct either.

Fanatics will always critique and complain but that doesn't invalidate a desire to see someone appropriate selected for the job. Could Gal do a good job? Sure. But it's a gamble and a larger gamble than seems necessary. Biel is more than good enough an actress and she's been an athlete most of her life (she was an AYSO soccer player) so her physique wouldn't be in question so that would've been a decent enough choice. Gemma Arterton is a good actress and has a better frame for building the necessary physique. There's plenty more actresses that would fit as well.

I mean, it's hard to even think of the selection from a "she knocked the audition out of the park!" angle because how much depth is there honestly going to be written to WW? The most likely reason that I can see for Gal's choice is simply because she's pretty but is flying relatively under the radar in terms of public perception.

We'll see if she ends up working out but there's more than enough reason to question the decision, beyond the normal fanatic reactions.

The people you mentioned would have been cut down for other reasons.

The people you mentioned would have been cut down for other reasons.

Reasons as equally justified as the ones being listed for Gal? Or the normal fanatic reasons? Because again, saying it doesn't matter because there will be some kind of backlash doesn't justify her selection. It's just an excuse to wield to brush off the criticism for people who don't care at all.

J10

Banned
Am I out of line assuming they just gave the role to the chick with the lowest quote and most generous vagina?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
you know between the fact they added batman and ww and the rumors the flash is involved..... I'm starting to think DC is just going to say fuck it and just put out a JL movie.....

Damn no phones in the warehouse? Shit what if someone's family was like in an accident or worse died? That's cray.

It's Amazon. They sell everything and if you come to us with the excuse is you got it last week. Good chance we ain't gonna believe that shit.

Oh and someone stole Beats earphones today.

When the dude eventually gets caught today or tomorrow, he's getting a nice $25,000 fine and a criminal charge.

Too add to the story about the two black girls.. I'm pretty sure their brother was working tonight and he brought in his phone..

the attitude dawg. He had to write his name down on a form that we give to people that bring in cell phones. Right when I saw that last name.. I had to brace myself for any random incoming fists that might be sent my way.

Slayven

It's Amazon. They sell everything and if you come to us with the excuse is you got it last week. Good chance we ain't gonna believe that shit.

Oh and someone stole Beats earphones today.

When the dude eventually gets caught today or tomorrow, he's getting a nice $25,000 fine and a criminal charge.

Too add to the story about the two black girls.. I'm pretty sure their brother was working tonight and he brought in his phone..

the attitude dawg. He had to write his name down on a form that we give to people that bring in cell phones. Right when I saw that last name.. I had to brace myself for any random incoming fists that might be sent my way.
why the fine?

Deprive

Am I out of line assuming they just gave the role to the chick with the lowest quote and most generous vagina?

Don't think they would employ the casting couch for wonder woman.

Don't think it really matters who they got though. People are going to complain any which way.

Gorillaz

I think the choice over WW would have caused a shitstorm regardless. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to female leads. She might be able to bulk up but on the acting side of things, there is a lot to be desired.

Idk...maybe she will knock it out the park just kind of skeptical

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I think the choice over WW would have caused a shitstorm regardless. It's the nature of the beast when it comes to female leads. She might be able to bulk up but on the acting side of things, there is a lot to be desired.

Idk...maybe she will knock it out the park just kind of skeptical

remember this ^^ why does everyone here think it will be different look this time around?

harSon

Banned
/shrug

Women have gotten buffed up/muscular for roles before.

Biel in Blade Trinity
Swank in Million Dollar Baby
Rodriguez in Girl Fight
Linda Hamilton in T2
Moore in GI Jane
Kate Bosworth in Blue Crush
Lucy Lawless in Xena

People need to calm the fuck down.

To be fair, a decent chunk of those actresses have a naturally larger build than Gal Gadot. There's a difference between skinny, like the actresses you listed, and runway skinny, which Gal Gadot is. Ignoring his strange looks, would you similarly dismiss the size of DJ Qualls if he were cast as a super hero requiring a rather demanding physique? Or Keira Knightley? And besides, the issue isn't her body alone. It's the fact that she's a mediocre actress. I'd be fine if they got someone who could act, but didn't necessarily look the part. But there had to be someone who wasn't 0 for 2 in those two departments. Hell, there's a long list of beautiful but mediocre actresses that come at a discount, but have bodies that aren't comparable to Taylor Swift's.

remember this ^^ why does everyone here think it will be different look this time around?

TV Shows are inherently different. It's also worth noting that NBC didn't even end up buying the show so the Pilot never even saw the light of day.

There will never be a good Lois due to the nature of the character.

Teri Hatcher did well enough for Lois and Clark. More to the point though, it's not even about the character. Amy Adams was a straight up miscast.

Edit: News came out today that Arrow is casting for Iris West and they're looking for a black actress for the role. Arrow thread already got a "That character isn't black!" post. smh.

Aight, going to get into exam mode. Only five more of these things and I'm finished with this shit forever! See you all on the other side.

Please show up on time for that Satch asswhooping.

Nakazato

the ruthless act of eating dinner with his mom when batts is dying in the trunk, even mocking him with dog painting was an amazing scene.

yea it amazing might be the best gangster movie of all time

Aight, going to get into exam mode. Only five more of these things and I'm finished with this shit forever! See you all on the other side.

Please show up on time for that Satch asswhooping.

later GL

Nakazato

J10 asked for it too lol
Damn we dropping like flys
at least were getting educated tho

Finals week too stronk?
Very

shit I might have to take one when I start crunching to take my A+ exams next year.

Edit: That Bear thread :( I had a hell of a panic attack last year and I thought I was having a heart attack left arm and chest hurt for days after.... One of the reasons it was time for me to stop being fat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom