• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
MGS4 gets too much hate. Say what you will about the story but the gameplay was fun.

The first half of MGS4 is some of the best gaming of the generation, but it goes to shit after the movie length cut scene at the end of Act 2 leading into another lengthy cut scene, followed by that fucking whistle sneak mission. It just completely ruined the flow of the game and it never recovered.

Onemic

The first half of MGS4 is some of the best gaming of the generation, but it goes to shit after the movie length cut scene at the end of Act 2 leading into another lengthy cut scene, followed by that fucking whistle sneak mission. It just completely ruined the flow of the game and it never recovered.

That's not even the first half, more like the first quarter of the game.

MGS4 is a dope game. Story is crazy as hell but that's the MGS IP for you. Not anywhere near GOTG though.

Likewise Galaxy and Galaxy 2 are great games.. but nowhere near GOTG. They really don't push the envelope anywhere. They're just really well made games. Above average, sure. Best games on the Wii? Probably (though Xenoblade fans might have a bone to pick). Game of the Gen? Nope.

Imm0rt4l

In the end, it all came down to the fact that I wanted to play a game that wasn't what TLoU ended up being. It's not so much how often you shoot (I was greatly exaggerating when I listed those numbers...I thought that was obvious but feel I need to call it out) but more about how many times you go to a new area, spot 20 or so waist-high cover spots, and then have to take out a small platoon of enemy bandits/soldiers.

I got bored of that type of gameplay in Uncharted and expected that TLoU was Naughty Dog's game to push back against that style of design...not fall in line with it, yet again.
Not trying to knock you or your opinion/taste(you like berserk which is GOAT manga). But exactly what kind of game were you expecting? The marketing wasn't disingenuous or misleading. The game certainly isn't above criticism. Its a character driven survival stealth horror game. I'm genuinely curious is all since the game delivered exactly what it promised.

Spinluck

MGS4 for was great, but I remember it getting weaker as it went on. I only played through it once. So my recollection of it is a little off, so I guess I can say it is far more forgettable than any of the previous installments.

MGS3 is the franchise GOAT though.

Imm0rt4l

MGS4's 3rd act was fucking horrible though. Just failed level design all around, the best part was basically a rehash of mgs3's shagohod chase. Act 4 was great for nostalgia I guess, but even then Kojima spoiled that before the games release, I like the way he kept everything in mgs2 a secret. The way MGSV is looking, Big Boss is gonna stay having better games than Solid Snake. MGS3 was just great, best ending in the series too.

RedSwirl

MGS3 is the franchise GOAT though.

The perfect MGS game would be MGS3 with modern controls.

Ghost Babel is low key goat status next to MGS3.

It's only so good because it basically retreads through the mechanics of the 2nd MSX game which nobody played (but is now packaged with the HD version of MGS3). Seriously, Metal Gear 2 is dope. Insanely ambitious for a home computer/console game that came out in 1990. It's basically MGS1, except Kojima made it eight years earlier.

Nakazato

Florida St needs to lose so OSU can get its shine on in the national game

I want bama and Oregon to lose I want that FSU & OSU game. I have spot in my heart for OSU most my fam lives there and one of my best friends is from there. + weirdly enough In Orlando I never saw FSU games Just OSU,Miami and UCF

Rockstar still got the oldest mechanics in the game. All the money in the world and niggas still control like Terminators and can't shoulder switch

Imm0rt4l

That shit is a little annoying, can't even lie. I'm actually starting to get burned out of the online portion, it's really most fun with friends.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey can I get a roll call of everybody who didn't like Mario Galaxy?

You know, so I can make a list of people with terrible taste in video games.

So a commercial for COD Ghost just came on and all I can wonder is why does this shit look exactly the same as the games from like 5 years.

Wouldn't mind if they made all the rest of the episodes like this last one. Almost entirely Rudy centric. Hate the short guy and handsome bar man is just that.

Pretty sure they're aiming for Rudy centric.. hence the "This is my girlfriend" stuff as well as.. well the whole second episode. Also with Finn going through.. what he went through in the first ep.. I'm pretty sure the aim is to de-centralize Finn and uhh.. the other dude involved in that whole thing.. so that Rudy becomes central this season.

Tokubetsu

Pretty sure they're aiming for Rudy centric.. hence the "This is my girlfriend" stuff as well as.. well the whole second episode. Also with Finn going through.. what he went through in the first ep.. I'm pretty sure the aim is to de-centralize Finn and uhh.. the other dude involved in that whole thing.. so that Rudy becomes central this season.

Hope so!

MGS4's 3rd act was fucking horrible though. Just failed level design all around, the best part was basically a rehash of mgs3's shagohod chase. Act 4 was great for nostalgia I guess, but even then Kojima spoiled that before the games release, I like the way he kept everything in mgs2 a secret. The way MGSV is looking, Big Boss is gonna stay having better games than Solid Snake. MGS3 was just great, best ending in the series too.
The funny thing about that is that the Act 3 we got was fixed from an even worse version. People were brought in during the early versions of it, and nobody could find their way around. Kojima damn near burst into the room to point people in the right direction, if the dev podcasts are to be believed, lol.
hey can I get a roll call of everybody who didn't like Mario Galaxy?

You know, so I can make a list of people with terrible taste in video games.
You already have me on that list, but I thought Galaxy was boring. I already said my piece in the Eurogamer thread, though.

RedSwirl

Rockstar still got the oldest mechanics in the game. All the money in the world and niggas still control like Terminators and can't shoulder switch

As someone who absolutely could not play earlier GTA games because of this shit, I feel like V made a quantum leap in the area of controls and UI. Dudes still don't control as well as, like, actual third person shooters or anything, but for the first time the game controls well enough for me to actually enjoy everything in it.

Oh, and I forgot to put Rising on my list for 2013 too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom