• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
This thread is the only place I've seen someone hating on Mario Galaxy outside of diehard zero-tolerance motion control haters. Not even Heavy would go that far. That's why we still in the bucket fam.

i won't hate on Mario Galaxy, but i will say this... when i saw the trailer for New Super Mario Bros Wii that E3, i bought a Wii within 48 hours.

Trey

GotG out of all that I've played:

Bastion
Halo 3
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Guild Wars 2
Portal
MGS4
Pokemon X and Y

OG Gears of War is up there, too.

I mean, I can understand not liking SMG cuz maybe platformers aren't you thing, but that game and its sequel deserves all the praise they get. Both games pushed 3D platform level design to a new standard that probably won't be matched for quite some time.

I can agree with the level design to an extent, but ground-breaking? GOTG? No way. Didn't push the boundaries like others did.

This thread is the only place I've seen someone hating on Mario Galaxy outside of diehard zero-tolerance motion control haters. Not even Heavy would go that far. That's why we still in the bucket fam.

Just didn't click with me. SMW is my favorite in the series, but Galaxy? Nah.

Fighting games, the consumers, and the ongoing community haven't changed much at all since the early days.

Its the closest thing to an actual sporting community in gaming.

I'd throw the DOTA2 and LoL players in there too. No EVO tournament ever filled the Staples Center.

*~3 hours later, after firing 7000 bullets and killing 300 humans enemies*

As others mentioned, higher difficulty. Game changes quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of stealth and I found myself engaged again. Knowing when to skip a fight is just as important as knowing when to start one.

Speaking of Oscar winners, I still need to see No Country for Old Men

I can watch this movie at any time. Javier Bardem is the truth.

The problem is that not that many people pick up a game expecting to be chumps at it. Especially fighting games. People want to get better - they drop the insulting easy-mode option that even kids get bored with, they try to get better, they get frustrated and quit. Are fighting games more accessible? Absolutely. Are they received any differently than they were a few years ago? Not really. The best implementation of an easy-mode mechanic was P4A where they took the auto-combo and molded it into the rest of the game making the leap not as much of a night and day difference.

I agree, I put something like 500 hours in SFA3, and it was immensely rewarding to dominate with multiple characters on a regular basis. Same with ME3, that feeling of mastery is addictive, and it's a shame that more games don't have a lot of content that equals your skill level at a higher difficulty.

because a lot of people might not get there

I don't wanna know how much money I've spent on all iterations of SF4, including the Gamepads/joysticks I've bought to pay for it

Just checked ME3, 196 hours, Top 3% for points.

Would've put more in if the servers didn't keep dropping me and my wife every 2-5 games.

I played SF4 Vanlla damn near every day since release. Same with all the other versions. I'm frightened to think of how many hours I've got.

And I had more fun as player 2 in Mario Galaxy than actually playing as Mario. Game was boring otherwise. Music was superb, though.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't hate it. It's great. I just don't think it did anything generation defining. At least not for anyone that doesn't stan Nintendo.

RedSwirl

What all came out this year? I mean what are we gonna say are the contenders? Im not worrying about the rest of GAF but BCT what is your opinion on the GOTY? TLoU is a definite contender alongside GTA5 and possible SR4 but is there any others that we can mention?

Lemme be real here for a second with my GOTY list, in no particular order:
GTA V
Gunpoint
Rogue Legacy

Now I'm not saying what games I think "deserve" GOTY, just what games I enjoyed the most and which games kept pullin' me back in. That is seriously my entire list up there so far. I feel like I could keep playing Legacy regularly all year. Gunpoint is one of the most tightly-designed things I've played all year, and that game could blow up if the level editor community grows (Steam Workshop please). Infinite was just a pretty good first person shooter in my opinion, with a typical sci-fi story that could've been a decent look at social commentary.

GOTG? Same criteria. The games that I ended up playing and enjoying the most since circa 2005, in no particular order:
Uncharted 2
Demon's Souls
Call of Duty 4
Team Fortress 2
Mass Effect 1
Street Fighter 4
Super Mario Galaxy

Also friend called landlord he's basically like "I'm not taking sides. You guys work it out. But contact me if the issue isn't dropped." Which is still good. Now me and my friend can basically torture one of the roomies because "he doesn't like company over." Why don't people like him just rent a solo apartment?

You paid for the costumes didn't you?

I did, but not all of them. I don't even like playing most of the roster. Doesn't help that I got buyer's remorse after buying one of T.Hawk's alts and realizing it looked like shit. And the alt of his I didn't buy actually looks like he rolled around in shit. =|

I am back BlackGAF. And I apologize you see I felt very strongly about pit bull breeds. I love them they are my favorites. And seeing a community of people just slandering the breed really upsetted me and made me tick. So sorry again.

I rarely go full Lupe I try to hold it in

zero_suit

I am back BlackGAF. And I apologize you see I felt very strongly about pit bull breeds. I love them they are my favorites. And seeing a community of people just slandering the breed really upsetted me and made me tick. So sorry again.

I rarely go full Lupe I try to hold it in

Welcome back

I noticed the OT is the place where most people get exiled from this site, which is funny since you would think teh gaming section would. Especially at this time of the next gen transition.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I noticed the OT is the place where most people get exiled from this site, which is funny since you would think teh gaming section would. Especially at this time of the next gen transition.

wait for a "betrayalton" they get dropped quickly during those. dont think there will be many during this gen

Gorillaz

"Final Fantasy 13 will also release on the Xbox 360"

Didn't have to be on Gaf to know that betrayalton caused a meltdown

it didn't even matter either since the game was crap.

same goes for mgs4. might as well have ported that to 360. it sucked ass.

the so called holy grails that sony couldn't lose were some of it's weakest exclusives (well if FF 13 were exclusive it would be)

DY_nasty

Also friend called landlord he's basically like "I'm not taking sides. You guys work it out. But contact me if the issue isn't dropped." Which is still good. Now me and my friend can basically torture one of the roomies because "he doesn't like company over." Why don't people like him just rent a solo apartment?
What actually happened?

Imm0rt4l

Still more fun than GTA4 was, it was still my goty but it was one of the weakest in the series. It's all relative. I really didn't like how antiquated some parts of the game were, namely the enter a door and fast travel somewhere else. It didn't feel that free. When I was in shadow moses, I could travel all the way back to the where the game started if I wanted to. MGS4 was a little too ambitious for it's own good. All the issues I had with 4 aside from the story seem to be fixed with the phantom pain.

You paid for the costumes didn't you?

some of them... (._. )

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
"Final Fantasy 13 will also release on the Xbox 360"

Didn't have to be on Gaf to know that betrayalton caused a meltdown

the virtua fighter 5 one was so much better. people that didnt give a shit either way were getting pissed off and banned. it was a sign of the times.

What actually happened?

Once the senior roommate left my friend was going to be the lease holder and the other two freaked out, one followed the landlord outside and specifically asked that they all be lease holders. So they are. Both of the roomies drafted up some "roommate agreement" paper weeks ago, that my friend never signed. Put it next to the official landlord papers too as if it was something other than something they just drafted up without any input from the other roommates. It was about how if a majority of roommates agreed someone should be kicked out they'd leave. They never aired anything to my friend about any problems to her face, of course.

Then on Halloween my friend's roommates texts her a "30 day notice and that the landlord has been notified." Basically some passive aggressive shit on their end came to a head but their timing was so dumb and so were the tactics. They're not the landlord, they have no power to evict anyone and they pulled this stunt after a new lease had been signed by all of the current tenants. They each had over a year at this point to contact and maintain a relationship with the Landlord (which of course they have never done till HE came over), and talk to him before just up and signing new leases if they really felt uncomfortable with her. But no, these people don't operate like adults.

One of them absolutely hates that she's social, "doesn't agree with her lifestyle" and thinks she "hogs the living room." The living room basically has her stuff in it and that's where she works sometimes. He moved his shit into his room and stays in there. Basically this dude is pissy he has roommates and should just get an apartment for himself.

Today she called the Landlord since he was available to talk and specifically said "I don't know what they're telling you but I'm not moving out." He basically took the road of what I thought would happen, that a new lease had just been signed, if people want to move out of their own accord whatever but he's not going out of his way to kick anyone out.

There's not enough specific words to drive home the point that like everything they've done so far is so incredibly dumb and immature on top of being fucked up in general.

BHZ Mayor

Once the senior roommate left my friend was going to be the lease holder and the other two freaked out, one followed the landlord outside and specifically asked that they all be lease holders. So they are. Both of the roomies drafted up some "roommate agreement" paper weeks ago, that my friend never signed. Put it next to the official landlord papers too as if it was something other than something they just drafted up without any input from the other roommates. It was about how if a majority of roommates agreed someone should be kicked out they'd leave. They never aired anything to my friend about any problems to her face, of course.

Then on Halloween my friend's roommates texts her a "30 day notice and that the landlord has been notified." Basically some passive aggressive shit on their end came to a head but their timing was so dumb and so were the tactics. They're not the landlord, they have no power to evict anyone and they pulled this stunt after a new lease had been signed by all of the current tenants. They each had over a year at this point to contact and maintain a relationship with the Landlord (which of course they have never done till HE came over), and talk to him before just up and signing new leases if they really felt uncomfortable with her. But no, these people don't operate like adults.

One of them absolutely hates that she's social, "doesn't agree with her lifestyle" and thinks she "hogs the living room." The living room basically has her stuff in it and that's where she works sometimes. He moved his shit into his room and stays in there. Basically this dude is pissy he has roommates and should just get an apartment for himself.

Today she called the Landlord since he was available to talk and specifically said "I don't know what they're telling you but I'm not moving out." He basically took the road of what I thought would happen, that a new lease had just been signed, if people want to move out of their own accord whatever but he's not going out of his way to kick anyone out.

There's not enough specific words to drive home the point that like everything they've done so far is so incredibly dumb and immature on top of being fucked up in general.

I take back what I said about living with gaffers. Sounds like she lives with Republicans.

Also the dude basically takes out loans to pay "girlfriends" to come out here then basically gets dumped and still pays for some of their shit or even their rent.

Simpin. Hard.

JohnDoe

Banned
Also the dude basically takes out loans to pay "girlfriends" to come out here then basically gets dumped and still pays for some of their shit or even their rent.

Simpin. Hard.

One of them absolutely hates that she's social, "doesn't agree with her lifestyle" and thinks she "hogs the living room."

It all makes sense now. lmao
Seeing women have fun when they always reject you must be painful.

Gattsu25

Banned
Massive difference in experience if you play the game on a lower difficulty.
7000 bullets, really. You must be playing on easy, difficult changes the experience entirely. I don't see why killing a lot of enemies is a bad thing in a game like this. Would you rather it be like Shadow of the collossus in which the entire world is desolate save fora few enemies? That would be dumb.
In the end, it all came down to the fact that I wanted to play a game that wasn't what TLoU ended up being. It's not so much how often you shoot (I was greatly exaggerating when I listed those numbers...I thought that was obvious but feel I need to call it out) but more about how many times you go to a new area, spot 20 or so waist-high cover spots, and then have to take out a small platoon of enemy bandits/soldiers.

I got bored of that type of gameplay in Uncharted and expected that TLoU was Naughty Dog's game to push back against that style of design...not fall in line with it, yet again.

DY_nasty

In the end, it all came down to the fact that I wanted to play a game that wasn't what TLoU ended up being. It's not so much how often you shoot (I was greatly exaggerating when I listed those numbers...I thought that was obvious but feel I need to call it out) but more about how many times you go to a new area, spot 20 or so waist-high cover spots, and then have to take out a small platoon of enemy bandits/soldiers.

I got bored of that type of gameplay in Uncharted and expected that TLoU was Naughty Dog's game to push back against that style of design...not fall in line with it, yet again.

I mean... I had more fun with Tomb Raider but I can say that TLoU was a better game all-around by a long shot even though I didn't particularly enjoy it as much.
I told her that her and her beau plus me + TD should just make out on the couch next time we're over at her place.

plz consider slay's feelings

FyreWulff

devo those roommates sounds like they just got their way their whole life

Also my "start drinking"-ometer keeps inching upwards

Aiustis

TLoU was kind of okay when I was watching it. Not as fun as watching Uncharted though.

I was suprised by the new Tomb Raider. Bought it when it was on sale and I was having a good time. It's an ok game.

Yea, nothing amazing but still had a pretty good time with it. I honestly would like Uncharted to take some ideas from it. It also looks fantastic on pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom