• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT5| A Nation of Drakes Can't Hold Us Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
I mean, I can understand not liking SMG cuz maybe platformers aren't you thing, but that game and its sequel deserves all the praise they get. Both games pushed 3D platform level design to a new standard that probably won't be matched for quite some time.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I mean, I can understand not liking SMG cuz maybe platformers aren't you thing, but that game and its sequel deserves all the praise they get. Both games pushed 3D platform level design to a new standard that probably won't be matched for quite some time.
Partially because platformers aren't all that attractive anymore.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
gaming age ugh
7zISLpC.gif

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Momotaro catching bodies.

The Galaxy series is legit and so are the most recent Rayman games. You all should give them a shot.

DY_nasty

Did people really try and act like platformers are the shit just now?

Lets talk about this. Maybe I'm missing something.
Neither are fighters to most people. But that's a whole another topic right there.

Edit: UMvC3 is in my GotG list.

LOL @ Bolded

You'll never see a fighting game as a GOTG or lauded as a system seller coming from anywhere reasonable though.

Slayven

LOL @ Bolded

You'll never see a fighting game as a GOTG or lauded as a system seller coming from anywhere reasonable though.

I laughed at that thread about Sony not having a fighter for PS4. Fighters nowadays are made for nerds by nerds. The barrier of entry for modern fighters is just too damn high. Having to fighter out kill frames, and shit. Nobody with good hygiene has time for that.

JohnDoe

Banned

Are you trying to act like it matters that it's a platformer even though it was one of the most critically acclaimed and well received games of this gen? It did pretty alright as far as sales go too.

Oldschoolgamer

I laughed at that thread about Sony not having a fighter for PS4. Fighters nowadays are made for nerds by nerds. The barrier of entry for modern fighters is just too damn high. Having to fighter out kill frames, and shit. Nobody with good hygiene has time for that.

Stop it 5

Fighters are easy as fuck to jump into nowadays. Every fighter has a noob mode for auto-combos, specials, gems, comeback modes, etc. Tutorials are starting to teach you how to play all fighters and trials teach basic combos. People don't even have to deal with Street Fighter 2 lessons from an older relative.

DY_nasty

I love fighting games and GG is by far my favorite - I wouldn't recommend that shit to anyone that I actually like because I know the barrier for entry could only perceived as 'fuck you' to anyone who's not already a secret fighting game fanatic like myself. The amount of time that I put into fighting games probably rivals the amount of time that I put into being a student athlete during my time in college. That's just fucking unreal.

DY_nasty

Stop it 5

Fighters are easy as fuck to jump into nowadays. Every fighter has a noob mode for auto-combos, specials, gems, comeback modes, etc. Tutorials are starting to teach you how to play all fighters and trials teach basic combos. People don't even have to deal with Street Fighter 2 lessons from an older relative.

Who wants to play a game on braindead easy-mode for any amount of time? Especially when it directly shits on the amount of content and playstlye variances offered? And most of these tutorials are trash as well. Even the good ones won't let a player shortcut around the dozen hours needed to be anywhere online ready outside of their immediate friend's list.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
There's a reason Nintendo's premier dev shop is called EAD and its fans keep asking for more of the same shit.

Oldschoolgamer

Who wants to play a game on braindead easy-mode for any amount of time? Especially when it directly shits on the amount of content and playstlye variances offered? And most of these tutorials are trash as well. Even the good ones won't let a player shortcut around the dozen hours needed to be anywhere online ready outside of their immediate friend's list.

Did you play Marvel 3 online? LOL.

Plenty do. Everything is now, now, now, and nobody wants to actually get good at shit anymore. That's why devs have been putting simple ass modes and shortcuts into fighters as of recent.

When has that ever been an issue before now though? We didn't even have tutorials back in the day, and had to learn by actually taking an L. Even the best tutorials ( a lot do suck ) aren't better than actual battle experience.

Gorillaz

Skyrim was ight....Honeymoon phase lasted into like the first week of the new year. Then I realized that it was the ultimate time waster in terms of not having much of a pay off for what you do. Some missions were fun but alot were throw away. Also shit was buggy and dealing with bland environments gets old fast.

Kind of wish a few more RPG's had that futuristic-Final Fantasy touch in terms of worlds and aesthetics

DY_nasty

Did you play Marvel 3 online? LOL.

Plenty do. Everything is now, now, now, and nobody wants to actually get good at shit anymore. That's why devs have been putting simple ass modes and shortcuts into fighters as of recent.

When has that ever been an issue before now though? We didn't even have tutorials back in the day, and had to learn by actually taking an L. Even the best tutorials ( a lot do suck ) aren't better than actual battle experience.

The problem is that not that many people pick up a game expecting to be chumps at it. Especially fighting games. People want to get better - they drop the insulting easy-mode option that even kids get bored with, they try to get better, they get frustrated and quit. Are fighting games more accessible? Absolutely. Are they received any differently than they were a few years ago? Not really. The best implementation of an easy-mode mechanic was P4A where they took the auto-combo and molded it into the rest of the game making the leap not as much of a night and day difference.

Imm0rt4l

Stop it 5

ehhh....I kinda agree with slayven. You can't jump into ssf4 right now and not get bodied free, even the scrubs will push your shit in if you have no experience.

I don't play mahvel, but the thought of getting into it seems a little daunting right now. I can only imagen how much it will suck for someone who is not fighting game savvy.

Oldschoolgamer

The problem is that not that many people pick up a game expecting to be chumps at it. Especially fighting games. People want to get better - they drop the insulting easy-mode option that even kids get bored with, they try to get better, they get frustrated and quit. Are fighting games more accessible? Absolutely. Are they received any differently than they were a few years ago? Not really. The best implementation of an easy-mode mechanic was P4A where they took the auto-combo and molded it into the rest of the game making the leap not as much of a night and day difference.

So, isn't that more of a problem with how this new generation of people approaches games nowadays, vs when we were younger?

ehhh....I kinda agree with slayven. You can't jump into ssf4 right now and not get bodied free, even the scrubs will push your shit in if you have no experience.

I don't play mahvel, but the thought of getting into it seems a little daunting right now.

If you went into an arcade and played SF 2, Marvel, Mortal Kombat, Virtua Fighter, or whatever after it's been out for a long while, you would get bodied too. I wouldn't jump into any shooter a year or so later, and act like I was going to be king of the world. That's not how it works in any game or genre.

Matchmaking can only go but so far, especially if a community isn't getting as much support from the company that made the game.

and the problem is in even say Halo or CoD, you're playing with 8 people. you're not gonna be in last every time due to just random circumstances of the bottom tier. someone who might be a bit better than you can get some bad spawns and you get some good ones and kill a couple dudes and go 9 and 17 and still be in 6th and feel good.

in a 1 on 1 fighter, you either win or lose and someone who might be a bit better than you will win probably even more convincingly in your eyes than someone who is really good. there's no 5th out of 8, it's just first or last, there is no feel good moment.

For what its worth, Eurogamer did put SF4 in their top 10 games of the generation

But its no secret that the mostly critically acclaimed games are the ones you "experience" that anybody could play over the ones you have to put in time and master the mechanics. Anything difficult and challenging is not winning many consensus Best of the Year awards.

Its not just games, either. You can go back for a hundred years of Oscar history, the Best Picture award is more often than not given to something in English, about a white dude and his problems, that's easy to understand and really respectable and charming and you walk out feeling good. Nothing you have to work your head around and really analyze the deeper meaning and what-not. The No Country for Old Men oscars are the rare exceptions.

Imm0rt4l

I stopped playing TLoU a few hours in.

They meet at the end of civilization... a bunch of scrappy survivors that need to scavenge to make ends meet.

*~3 hours later, after firing 7000 bullets and killing 300 humans enemies*

I just couldn't take the game serious.

7000 bullets, really. You must be playing on easy, difficult changes the experience entirely. I don't see why killing a lot of enemies is a bad thing in a game like this. Would you rather it be like Shadow of the collossus in which the entire world is desolate save fora few enemies? That would be dumb.

7000 bullets, really. You must be playing on easy, difficult changes the experience entirely. I don't see why killing a lot of enemies is a bad thing in a game like this. Would you rather it be like Shadow of the collossus in which the entire world is desolate save fora few enemies? That would be dumb.
let's not bring SOTC into this...

Gorillaz

Speaking of Oscar winners, I still need to see No Country for Old Men

edit: Overall talking about GOTG I think D Souls,CoD4,TLoU are the ones that I can think of right now.

DY_nasty

So, isn't that more of a problem with how this new generation of people approaches games nowadays, vs when we were younger? .
Fighting games, the consumers, and the ongoing community haven't changed much at all since the early days.

Its the closest thing to an actual sporting community in gaming.

BHZ Mayor

This thread is the only place I've seen someone hating on Mario Galaxy outside of diehard zero-tolerance motion control haters. Not even Heavy would go that far. That's why we still in the bucket fam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom