• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT6| Monica Enjoys Being Black

Kreed

Bro. A gym teacher told me what that song was in the 3rd grade. I never sung that shit again. Went to a teacher conference once with my uncle before he became a principle. Heard another teacher flat out say I won't be taking orders from any nigger especially this nigger. I quit. This racist stuff hit me hard and early in my life. Dat ole school Carolina Georgia racism was a sight to behold. Still is. That's why I rarely say anything in those threads....it's hard to tell a fool about gun safety if he never seen war first hand

I grew up in South Carolina and somehow I avoided most of the obvious racist shit growing up (no slurs or straight up discrimination). It was the subtle shit that I didn't realize was racist until I left the state/got older that looking back was like "damn, that was racist". Like the self segregation in class rooms, "black lunch tables" at school, black only churches in the poor parts of town, etc...

Trey

Between learning gypped and uppity have racist connotations and now this "tiger/nigger" song, this last year has not been kind to my childhood. Everything is a lie.

I remember I used to think "what fucking sense does catching a tiger by the toe make?" This new context is illuminating.

I'm pretty close to done with gaf. I know Bish said to go out and confront people instead of complaining about it in here, but people dig their heels in and double down faster than they consider anything being said it's fucking tiring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I had no idea about tiger and uppity. I'm legit shook.

Enzom21

Bro. A gym teacher told me what that song was in the 3rd grade. I never sung that shit again. Went to a teacher conference once with my uncle before he became a principle. Heard another teacher flat out say I won't be taking orders from any nigger especially this nigger. I quit. This racist stuff hit me hard and early in my life. Dat ole school Carolina Georgia racism was a sight to behold. Still is. That's why I rarely say anything in those threads....it's hard to tell a fool about gun safety if he never seen war first hand
Nah you should. We shouldn't let people carrying around their ignorance like a badge of honor. I will say that it does become exhausting having the same stupid argument over and over.
I grew up in South Carolina and somehow I avoided most of the obvious racist shit growing up (no slurs or straight up discrimination). It was the subtle shit that I didn't realize was racist until I left the state/got older that looking back was like "damn, that was racist". Like the self segregation in class rooms, "black lunch tables" at school, black only churches in the poor parts of town, etc...
I remember high school being like that. It was really bad at prom, every black and hispanic person was in this one room and every white person was outside. I wonder if that is still happening these days.

Mumei

This Town Needs a Better Class of Racist

Like Cliven Bundy, Donald Sterling confirms our comfortable view of racists. Donald Sterling is a "bad person." He's mean to women. He carouses with prostitutes. He uses the word "nigger." He fits our idea of what an actual racist must look like: snarling, villainous, immoral, ignorant, gauche. That the actual racism that Sterling long practiced, that this society has long practiced (and is still practicing) must attract significantly less note. That is because to see racism in all its elegance is to implicate not just its active practitioners, but to implicate ourselves.

How can it be that in a "black league," as Charles Barkley calls the NBA, an on-the-record structural racist like Donald Sterling was allowed to thrive? Everyone now wants to speak to Elgin Baylor. Where were all these people before? Where was Kevin Johnson? Where was the Los Angeles NAACP? When Donald Sterling was driving black tenants out of his buildings, where was David Stern?

Far better to implicate Donald Sterling and be done with the whole business. Far better to banish Cliven Bundy and table the uncomfortable reality of our political system. A racism that invites the bipartisan condemnation of Barack Obama and Mitch McConnell must necessarily be minor. A racism that invites the condemnation of Sean Hannity can't be much of a threat. But a racism, condemnable by all civilized people, must make itself manifest now and again so that we may celebrate how far we have come. Meanwhile racism, elegant, lovely, monstrous, carries on.

MFA vs. POC

It’s been twenty years since my workshop days and yet from what I gather a lot of shit remains more or less the same. I’ve worked in two MFA programs and visited at least 30 others and the signs are all there. The lack of diversity of the faculty. Many of the students’ lack of awareness of the lens of race, the vast silence on these matters in many workshop. I can’t tell you how often students of color seek me out during my visits or approach me after readings in order to share with me the racist nonsense they’re facing in their programs, from both their peers and their professors. In the last 17 years I must have had at least three hundred of these conversations, minimum. I remember one young MFA’r describing how a fellow writer (white) went through his story and erased all the ‘big’ words because, said the peer, that’s not the way ‘Spanish’ people talk. This white peer, of course, had never lived in Latin America or Spain or in any US Latino community—he just knew. The workshop professor never corrected or even questioned said peer either. Just let the idiocy ride. Another young sister told me that in the entire two years of her workshop the only time people of color showed up in her white peer’s stories was when crime or drugs were somehow involved. And when she tried to bring up the issue in class, tried to suggest readings that might illuminate the madness, her peers shut her down, saying Our workshop is about writing, not political correctness. As always race was the student of color’s problem, not the white class’s. Many of the writers I’ve talked to often finish up by telling me they’re considering quitting their programs. Of course I tell them not to. If you can, please hang in there. We need your work. Desperately.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
MAN DOWN

Bmk51gmCAAAy-Es.jpg

My mom made me fall back on that "tiger by the toe" saying when I was about 4 years old. Came home saying that shit after hearing the whites kids in class and she gets a dead serious look in her face, bends down and tells me not to ever say that again. Didn't realize the origin of it until I was much older of course, but that's one memory that is really vivid and stuck with me ever since.

Gorillaz

On a different note, CoD is going Metal Gear Solid. PMC type stuff has always been interesting and wondering if any of you army guys in here like DY know much about it (you probably do) and if they have tried to recurit people you know or yourself or shit like that.

It probably ain't like MGS, but I mean what I know PMC and SoF GOTTA be popping off like this

2599534-5645879189-tumbl.gif

What people are not getting is you can say all the racist and dump shit you want. Just don't expect everyone to be ok with it.

Seriously though I think it takes way more courage to tell a friend they're being ignorant, prejudiced and or racist than just letting shit slide.

The hell happened to logic.

Valid points and so damn true. It takes a lot to tell a friend anything let alone that.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I propose a new Neogaf rule, where anybody who says that it doesn't matter if people throw slurs at someone because you should "have a thicker skin" is free to be insulted, belittled and otherwise subjected to "just words" by any NeoGAF poster within that thread, with no consequences for the members lobbing insults.

royalan

I'm surprised by the people saying that they grew up with the original version of that children's rhyme and using that as some type of defense for the guy...

Like, that's not something you should admit without a tablespoon of shame and self-awareness.

Lol

Live skrong

lol I just do. Friend of mine made a joke about Vietnamese/Korean women and nail shops. It was hilarious to me.

When it comes to shit like that, it doesn't bother me because I know its not 100% true. A racist can say the most stereotypical racist shit and I'll laugh because its so stupid. Its hard for me to be truly offended by some stuff. I think I would have been the only guy at the table laughing when Aston Kutcher's character in Guess Who made that "3 things a black person can't get." joke.

Now if it gets in the way of a persons way of live or trying to live like the Shit Sterling pulled with housing discrimination. That's when I get upset.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I find racism inherently silly so Racist jokes make me laugh :(

I'm usually the first to laugh at racist jokes Tbh, but only if they're of good taste. There's no way in hell these jokes that guy told are funny in any way.

Using an old racist rhyme about slavery and calling Mexicans dirty and lazy and they would hate to wake up as one is never ever going to be funny and if someone finds that funny, they're ignorant as hell.

I'm usually the first to laugh at racist jokes Tbh, but only if they're of good taste. There's no way in hell these jokes that guy told are funny in any way.

Using an old racist rhyme about slavery and calling Mexicans dirty and lazy and they would hate to wake up as one is never ever going to be funny and if someone finds that funny, they're ignorant as hell.

I mean the Mexican jokes aren't funny to me because I don't see Mexicans as lazy (where the hell did that stereotype come from anyways). Hell the reason I phased out of my last part time job is due to the large amount of Mexican (and Dominicans, puerto ricans, cubans etc. mind you) taking full time positions instead me working every once in a while.

Taste doesn't really cross my mind because I'm not one to get offended easily. It just has to be a witty exchange of a silly stereotype.

I propose a new Neogaf rule, where anybody who says that it doesn't matter if people throw slurs at someone because you should "have a thicker skin" is free to be insulted, belittled and otherwise subjected to "just words" by any NeoGAF poster within that thread, with no consequences for the members lobbing insults.

Now, now if we had that sort of fun, what would the mods do? Blow their brains out? Let them connive.. ya'll just watch.

Why do ya'll even click on those threads knowing they will just make you angry

Us black folk love high blood pressures.

Over/Under on the next Call of Duty having a black protag?

I could be reading too much into it, but so far, both of the images for the game that have come out showcase the Stacker Pentacost/Idris Elba/SamuelJackson looking character.

Nakazato

On a lighter note I found out the marvel ninjas are real.

No not working on a marvel movie.

And yes Im working on something that blackgaf likes.

I've learned that racists are gonna racist and don't bother with those threads anymore. They'll just make you upset.

Had to think 3 or 4 times before pressing 'submit reply', it would be satisfying but catching a ban while someone continues on some BS would hurt to see..

Top Bottom